Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 3, 2017

2.0
Ryan Jacob

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing business model, and growing (in 4 reviews)

• highly intelligent colleagues -- everyone there knows how to win -- culture of success and winning by any means necessary (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Crazy long hours, abusive management, really tough market which led to minimal sales, tons of turnover (in 9 reviews)

• There is almost no work-life balance, and "trading" here leaves you with very few transferrable career skills, going forward (in 5 reviews)

"Most Likely Not Worth the Problems - Preserve Your Sanity"

Former Employee - "Trader" in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - "Trader" in Austin, TX

I worked at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As other reviews have stated, there is a possibility to make good money at CAE. This is the only reason I can objectively not give CAE the lowest possible review, because some people actually do value the possibility of money over their sanity and well-being.

Some of the coworkers were cool. Benefits were fairly good. When you leave (you will), you can easily explain in interviews that you've dealt with great pressure and arduous hours under shaky management.

Cons

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend to anyone that they overlook the glaringly negative reviews for the falsified positives, and join CAE. When you leave in 1/2-2 years, you'll be in the same position you are now, but possibly with slightly more cash.

Yes, there is money to be made, but it's just as likely that you won't make much. There is very little correlation between skill and compensation - unless you're a senior guy with many accounts, success at CAE is mainly luck, by way of stumbling across a valuable deal. If you're not senior, you'll likely spend many long hours aimlessly pestering clients, sometimes even blatantly lying to them at the direction of the management. Sometimes, it's right place, right time, and a client will hand you a great deal; more often though, they'll beg or demand that CAE please leave them alone. (CAE doesn't have a very favorable industry reputation, as it's almost protocol to lie to/manipulate your clients. Many of the big industry end users refuse to speak to CAE at all.)

Unfortunately, most of the negative reviews of CAE on here are true, and I have a hard time believing the positive ones were not written by CAE management to tilt the reviews in their favor. Management loves telling everyone how things have changed and will continue to, going forward. I saw no difference in my time there between what I had read of CAE before I was there and when I was there, and also from how I was told it would change when I began to how it was when I left. The more-tenured employees will tell you the same.

This is a very materialistic, dog-eat-dog environment. Your coworkers will go behind your back to close a deal, if they can. And usually, if they do close it, there's no recourse against them. The top traders are successful, but almost everyone else knows they're expendable, and will be fed to the wolves when the CEO has one of his characteristic, unhinged temper tantrums. Make no mistake, you will be a pawn to them.

There is almost no work-life balance, and "trading" here leaves you with very few transferrable career skills, going forward. The wiser ones in life will always tell you to pursue something you're passionate about, rather than chasing money. CAE is a living, breathing example of how true that adage really is. As much as I wish I never joined CAE even though I did make good money, I'm glad I learned this.

Advice to Management

The CEO is a bright guy, but his leadership and tendencies are borderline sociopathic. He's fairly unstable, honestly.

My advice is to stop being so incredibly shortsighted to close a quick deal. Maybe consider acting in a humane way with your clients, and even some of your own employees. It might sound crazy, but honesty and respect are fairly valued in this world. Relationships are more important than closing one deal. Who knows, you may close a few more with them if they still respect you after dealing with you once.

You have a unique position in a niche market. If you actually made the changes you've long claimed to have made, maybe you'd become something lasting. Instead, you haven't sold the company yet, because your market value continues to drop, as your client base dwindles, all because of your inability to value clients and see the big picture.

"Do not sacrifice anything to work here - It's not worth it"

Former Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Redwood City, CA

Pros

- You have the potential to make a lot of money within 6months. That said, your chances of staying long enough to see any real money is slim. I started in a class of 5 people and by month 3, it was just I that remained.
    - Really nice office complex and onsite gym

Cons

- Management does not treat anyone (even each other) with respect - I can not emphasize this enough.
    - 16hr days are very common.
    - Work on Friday.
    - Emails from Management come at all hours of the night and they expect a response immediately.
    - Very little training for new employees, it is a "sink or swim" environment.
    - The Management does little to control the deal process that exists, and thus a LOT of unethical behavior takes place.
    - Management periodically asks the top preforming traders and managers to submit loosely scripted Glassdoor reviews to boost their ratings (I was asked on MANY occasions to do this). So please, read grossly positive reviews with a 'grain of salt'.

Advice to Management

Try to realize that your employees are humans and most likely, very smart. All they want is a little training and support. Once they have that, they can make YOUR company a lot of money. Don't treat them like insufficient machines.

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Trader in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Trader in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time

Pros

Weekly competitions/giveaways to motivate staff
    Cafe downstairs
    Good sales meetings
    Highly intelligent staff, even at the entry level

Cons

Poor culture
    Poor reputation
    Poor customer service
    Low employee morale
    Lack of respect for employees

Advice to Management

Be more organized. Start treating your employees like human beings. Disappointing experience.

"Start-up company, good pay, however bad corporate culture"

Former Employee - Sales and Trading Associate in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Trading Associate in Redwood City, CA

Pros

-Might be able to make some quick cash
    -Good practice to inside sales

Cons

-Poor corporate culture
    -Life/work balance
    -Limited career opportunity

Advice to Management

-Improve on corporate culture to retain talented employees.

"High earning potential for those who really want it!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

High earning potential, and opportunity to hone effective prospecting, closing, and negotiating skills. CAE offers a generous commission structure and the top performers are handsomely and quickly rewarded. CAE is a good place to work if your main goal is to bank some cash. However, this is not easy money-- you will work for every penny. CAE employees work extremely long and hard and deserve their pay-checks!

Cons

Long pressure-packed hours. You need a thick skin to survive in this overly demanding environment. Management and co-workers are unreasonably aggressive, and standards are high. Working at CAE is stressful and the turnover rate reflects the difficulty.

Advice to Management

I agree with the other review, and believe that employees will be more loyal and productive if they are respected and treated well.

"Extremely competitive, everyone for themselves"

Pros

-Awesome compensation structure
    -Nice office
    -Not too many pros at this job besides the bonuses and competitions

Cons

-Daily negative reinforcement
    -Handfuls of employees fired every single month

"Potential to make a lot of money - if you survive."

Pros

-Potential to make a lot of money
    -Gym on site
    -Random 3 day weekends
    -Dinner provided last 2 weeks of month (to keep you there later)
    -Cash prizes / ferrari's / rolex's

Cons

- 7am-9pm M-Th, 7am-3pm Fridays. Expected to come in for a couple hrs on Sundays.
    -Don't expect any feedback on progress / performance
    -Training was an absolute joke, no coaching whatsoever
    -Fired after 3 months with no P.I.P. (performance improvement plan)
    -People fired after 2 weeks
    -Now with LMG blowing up every account, it's virtually impossible to establish yourself in lower markets - you have to start up market and compete with people that have been doing the job for close to a year

Advice to Management

There is so much opportunity to build a grow a team of good employees if you would just take the time to coach and develop. Turnover would be vastly lower, production would be higher, and morale would better than dismal. It's like a football team with a bunch of high paid superstars, but no coaching staff.

"Prepare to sacrifice your life and soul for a little bit of money and zero respect"

Pros

Above average earning potential (questionable per hour)
    That is all

Cons

Soul sucking
    Very questionable work practices covered with contract language
    Zero care/respect for employees
    60%+ Attrition
    Crazy Hours
    Work in an industry where you are hated by everybody for screwing them over
    Have a bad month -- you are fired. It doesn't matter where you moved from or what your story is
    Discretionary compensation
    Increased BMI and Blood Pressure

Advice to Management

None-They are all all-knowing and don't care