Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan Jacob

Pros
  • Amazing business model, and growing (in 4 reviews)

• highly intelligent colleagues -- everyone there knows how to win -- culture of success and winning by any means necessary (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Crazy long hours, abusive management, really tough market which led to minimal sales, tons of turnover (in 8 reviews)

• Extremely competitive environment (in 4 reviews)

"Only for the best-of-the-best"

Current Employee - Trader in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Trader in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

-HUGE earning potential (someone right out of college can easily make $100-150k in their first year)
    -Large growth opportunity
    -Work hard, play hard environment
    -Management is always fair
    -Weekly sales competitions
    -Benefits are amazing
    -Extravagant trips for top performers

Cons

-Low work/life balance
    -Can be stressful at times
    -Very demanding
    -Long hours
    -Polices change often
    -Very competitive
    -Employee turnover is slightly higher than average

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep doing what you're doing. They have always been fair and they only reward people based on merit.

"Put in the time and get the experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

CAE is a small to mid-size company that offers its employees extensive National/International experience in semi-conductor equipment trading, writing contracts, negotiation, and arbitration.

Benefits:
    Uncapped earning potential-generous commission structure
    Generous base salary
    Great experience
    Rapidly growing company with advancement opportunities

Cons

CAE is a highly competitive environment that requires constant attention.

Obstacles:
    Challenging environment
    Long work days
    High pressure work environment

Advice to Management

“Way to go’s” are needed more often. A little support goes a long way.

"Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Redwood City, CA

Pros

- Really great salary
    - Awesome bonus trips and prizes
    - Fast exciting and extremely competitive
    - Ideal environment for someone who loves winning, all the time
    - Really great employees: everyone is on the same page in terms of intelligence, competitiveness, drive, and work ethic.

Cons

- When things are good, they are really good. When things are bad, they are really bad.
    - 12-14 hour work days, everyday
    - Stressful at times
    - You have to be on top of your game all the time, very high standards, no room for error.

Advice to Management

- More PTO?

"Definitely not for everyone, but if you're a fit, you're a fit"

Current Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Being part of a team that is reshaping an industry
    -Ridiculously fast-paced, winning mentality
    -Extremely motivated colleagues
    -History of promoting from within
    -Nice facilities, gym, etc.

Cons

-Company culture is not for everyone
    -Company never takes its foot off the pedal
    -Less than ideal work/life balance
    -Incumbent players in the market are often shady characters

Advice to Management

-Clearly define the company's next steps
    -Don't bring hires on board who aren't in it for the long haul

"Nowhere like CAE"

Current Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Redwood City, CA

Pros

You won't find another company or career opportunity like CAE. I relocated to the bay area for this job, and i don't regret it at all. This is trading, pure and simple. It doesn't have the glamor of wall street, but it definitely has the thrill and reward of making deal after deal happen.

They will let you run independently here. You'll surely get an earful when you don't do your job right, but the amount of responsibility afforded is unbelievable.

Cons

The company finally shut down the LMG team, which was long overdue.
    Industry counterparties can be cutthroat negotiators.
    High intensity.
    Short leash for under performers.

Advice to Management

Invest in your current team. Sharpen their skills with constant training and feedback loops.

"How CAE changed my life"

Current Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a unique and different career path CAE is the place for you. I started here several years ago not knowing anything about Semiconductor Equipment markets. I came from another sales job where my income was capped, and potential to move up was low. CAE changed my life by not setting limits on my sales potential and providing me with the tools I need to be successful. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity that CAE has provided.

Extreme financial reward
    Opportunity to move up to senior trader quickly
    Solid foundation with an excellent track record for success
    Health benefits have been excellent
    Worlds leading semiconductor equipment marketplace
    Gym membership to state of the art facility
    Great location
    Trips & prize competitions

Cons

If you are not prepared for long work days, CAE is not a good fit.

Management at CAE strives for success. They will guide you to achieve very high performance but it does not come without pressure and hard work. This means some late nights working on deals, or answering emails during the evening hours.

CAE is a sales environment that does not stop. Downtime is limited.

Advice to Management

Results are what keep employees happy and the employees who have not cut it were not meant to be. I have learned a lot from the CAE management team, and I am always learning more as the months go by. My advice is to continue to coach new traders that come in the same way each and every time. The work ethic, attention to detail, and drive I have obtained at CAE are valuable traits I will always carry now. Thank you.

"Extreme Boot Camp But You Learn a Lot and the Compensation is Great"

Current Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Being a top tier sales professional is my career objective. I joined CAE because I knew, that while it can be a pressure cooker environment, they are more than fair in compensating those who perform. Since I’m setting the bar high for my own objectives, CAE seemed like a good fit. It’s worked out for me. CAE does promote from within so it is a good place for people like me who are focused on getting ahead and always looking for the next level of compensation. Plus, at some point, if I decide to move to another sales organization, the experience will be very valuable in meeting my new objectives. The managers at CAE are tough but bright and if you work hard and pay attention, you’ll learn what it takes to be an A level salesperson, and also have a very rewarding experience.

Cons

CAE can kind of feel like boot camp at first but it’s tied to performance and if you can handle the pressure, you’ll do fine and be compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

Continue to train salespeople so no one gets stale. Grow the organization by helping star performers to move upward in compensation and responsibility.

"Fast Moving Company and Very Performance Driven. Not for Weaklings!"

Current Employee - Trader in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Trader in Redwood City, CA

Pros

No one would argue capital equipment sales has been a male dominated environment. So I was a little hesitant about taking a job with a company specializing in trading this type of equipment. Granted, my confidence level is always high but I was skeptical. Would I be dealing with a lot of annoying macho stuff? After working at CAE for a while I can say, yes, there is definitely some of that, but it is very much an equal opportunity environment. If you’re a confident, driven to succeed type, which I am, you can get rewards in terms of compensation and advancement.

I really like the gym which has absolutely everything you’d want to exercise. Hey, I might not be able to bench press as much weight as the guys but I can hold my own with those sales numbers!!!!

Cons

Yes, it is a high pressure environment, but seriously, what would you expect when you’re dealing with multi-million dollar deals? It’s not necessarily a warm fuzzy environment but I’ve found it works if you meet your goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide some perks like the gym since it helps provide balance and prevent burnout. Foster promotion for those who demonstrate steady performance at a high level.

"Good Opportunity for Sales Self Starters"

Former Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Capital Asset Trader in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was downsized out of a marketing position in high tech and being about mid-point in my career, thought it might be worthwhile to expand my search to include sales. Since marketing and sales tend to work closely together, I thought it might be doable to migrate over to a full time sales position. The guys at CAE gave me every opportunity to succeed, with training and clear objectives. But it was pretty clear I’m just not cut out for sales and I wasn’t meeting their sales numbers. We left on good terms. No harm. No foul. The short stint at CAE convinced me to stay focused on a marketing career. However, I did learn some valuable information about how sales really works and that is an added benefit as I move forward in marketing.

Cons

CAE is a one man for himself kind of place. If you are thinking of a retraining type move, this is not the place for you since there is really no ramp up time. They expect results from you asap.

Advice to Management

The management has great drive and imparting this ‘can-do’ attitude to new employees is a must. Since they expect you to be a self-starter, providing as much education and information as possible will further ensure newbies will succeed.

"Nothing Succeeds Like Success"

Current Employee - Trader
    Current Employee - Trader

I have been working at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) full-time

Pros

I am a natural born salesman, the kid who sold more fundraising cookies than anybody else. I expect to be a VP Sales eventually and went looking for a company that had my level of energy and ambition and could give me a thorough foundation in effective sales tactics. CAE fits the bill. The company is uber-focused on sales, sales, sales, and if you are good, which I have to say I am, you will do very well and the compensation is great! I really enjoy working with the executives and my team members on the trading floor. We feed off of each other’s energy and the result is high earnings for all.

Cons

Sometimes, even for me, the place can get a little too intense but you can work off the pressure at the gym and they run trips and events for employees that are fun.

Advice to Management

Weed out the non-performers as soon as possible so those of us who are high achievers can be supported and compensated in line with our performance. Training remains critical for this and any good service oriented business.