Cover image for Capital Blue Cross

Capital Blue Cross

Engaged Employer

Capital Blue Cross

Add a Review

Capital Blue Cross Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Sep 22, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 130 of over 130 reviews
3.9
69% Recommend to a Friend
67% Approve of CEO

Found 9 of over 130 reviews

3.9
Capital Blue Cross CEO Todd Shamash (no image)
Todd Shamash

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Capital Blue Cross and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company!

Aug 31, 2019 - Senior Talent Management & Leadership Development Consultant in Harrisburg, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work Environment People Benefits Work / Life Balance

Cons

Overall a small company. Challenging industry

2. 1.0
    Current Employee

Dysfunctional

Sep 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Standard business benefits nothing exceptional.

Cons

No clear vision or direction senior leaders. Dysfunctional and toxic work environment. No clear communication from management.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Capital Blue Cross team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good people, but stuck in the past

Oct 27, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people, friendly work environment, good hours and generally flexible on working from home (dependent on position).

Cons

Slow moving, lots of long-tenured employees which can lead to stagnation. Hard to find room to grow if you are more junior in your career. Pay is generally below market rate.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Product Consultant

Aug 23, 2018 - Product Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

The cafeteria is nice, but that's about it.

Cons

Toxic work environment. Avoid at all costs.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Current Employee

claims

Nov 5, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A professional work environment and great co-workers.

Cons

no alot of room for advancement.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Retail Sales and Service Representative

May 2, 2017 - Customer Service and Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful store and work environment.

Cons

Juggle many things/wear many hats. Customer service, medicare sales, individual sales, small group sales, community events, other projects to help other departments of CBC

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A pleasant experience for the majority of my time at CBC, until restructuring & cutbacks, caused a hostile environment

Jul 20, 2014 - Desktop Support Specialist in Harrisburg, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

For the first couple of years it was a very pleasant work environment and the structure of the company made sense. (Even though we still were very top heavy with so many directors and managers it was unreal.) But, it was very much a family atmosphere. The end users that I supported treated me with the upmost respect and I received dozens of emails from all levels of the company even senior level executives whom i provided executive technical support to, for most of my career there. When the economy went down and job cuts started happening and they decided to reorganize everything, is when things began to crumble, and has only gotten worse. But for the most part, It was a god company that I enjoyed waking up to everyday. A job that didn't even seem like a job because I was doing what i love and I worked with a great group of people in my department and got to support and work with great people all over the company. The pay was competitive, with nice bonuses as long as the company meets it's goal for the year.

Cons

Since the economy crashed, CBC cut back on it's work force, and has done multiple reorganizations of departments, Some don't make any sense at all. The worst part of this is that Every single employee has suffered because of the lower amount of employees, workers are expected to take on a workload that is so overwhelming, it has turned a company full of happy people and a solid unit of people willing to work together as a team and help one another when one is in need of assistance. These days, Everyone seems to be beyond stressed and can barely keep their head above water. In fact it's gotten so bad that many employees don't even get along anymore because of a situation regarding a task that may of needed completed by one person ended up falling into the hands of another and it's this non stop bickering between employees on who carries more of the workload. The younger workforce does take on a great deal more than the tenured staff who know that they have been there so long and that they can coast through the rest of the years at CBC before retirement that they are not pulling their weight what so ever and the jobs they do take on are the easiest to complete. Jobs that could easily be taken care of by inexpensive interns or contractors which the company or at least a lot of the areas don't take advantage of anymore. Since, i've left, i've kept in touch with some, and every single last one of them is seeking employment elsewhere due to this unrealistic workload that no one can achieve. People sick of the hostile work environment that has developed, and people are just miserable. I understand it's the economy and most places are doing these types of things but CBC has taken to a whole new level and a lot of people have been hanging in there for years but the problem only has been getting worse to the point that it effects there personal lives, and has made some of the most pleasant people turn into irritable, short fused and just down right nasty to their co workers. It's a shame because, before the reorganizations of the departments, we had good teams lead by great managers and everything ran like a well oiled machine. Everyone got a long, we as a team would have group outings at least once a month because we all were friends and worked great together and it brought the team closer together. CBC was good to me over the years, but from what i've witness and been through, i'm glad that i'm no longer an employee there. I think the problem is only going to get worse and I see certain areas being outsourced all together and everyone that works in these ares knows it because the writing is all over the wall.

2 people found this review helpful