KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Capital BlueCross

Is this your company?

Capital BlueCross

Add a Review

Capital BlueCross Employee Reviews about "cbc"

Updated Mar 29, 2019

Found 8 of over 96 reviews

4.1
Capital BlueCross President and CEO    Gary St. Hilaire  (no image)
Gary St. Hilaire
Pros
  • "Community involvement, lots of PTO, good benefits(in 8 reviews)

• "Good pay, good benefits, great people(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Unfortunately CBC proved to be, and immediately so, very disorganized(in 6 reviews)

• "Sometimes felt like CBC was top heavy and over-managed(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "cbc"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Contractor

Apr 1, 2017 - Contractor in Harrisburg, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent place to work. Good caf with healthy options. Most companies take advantage of contractors, but CBC seems to value them and utilize their expertise and many get hired on full time if there are openings. Management and staff are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Much of the staff is about to retire (not a bad thing) but, transfer of knowledge from those folks may be being ignored by some management. This should be taken into consideration to ensure a smooth transition.

2. 2.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

A great image on the surface, but deep corruption just underneath.

Mar 29, 2019 - Customer Service Representative in Harrisburg, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Don't be mistaken, I loved my position. Hour lunches, fair pay, good environment.

Cons

Unfortunately CBC proved to be, and immediately so, very disorganized. And worse, at times flat out liras to their employees. Systems were very poorly developed, leaving you at many times without a resource to help a member. You spent all day, every day, grasping at straws. Member benefits are not clearly written, they are more or less up for interpretation. This left new employees to learn the hard way, by failing audits. However because you quality score was connected to the audits, if you were "wrong", your job was at risk. It doesn't matter to CBC though because at the end of the day, they just wanted bodies on the phone. Not informed employees. Training was very poor, and they burn through contractors to staff based on need.. Members suffer in the end because they get incomplete, uninformed help.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

A Never Ending/Changing BCBS Association Affiliate - Not For the Best..

Feb 25, 2015 - Sales in Harrisburg, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some Great People from the Mailroom to the COO. Competitive benefits package,-salary, paid time off, tuition reimbursement .

Cons

CBC Over-Run and Over-Taken by Deloitte Consultants who had their own Agenda. Layoffs, Great people forced out (early retirement packages) or Demoted; replaced by Deloitte People and/or young, inexperienced newly hired promoted to Managers and Directors. Favoritism - you can be the epitome of CBS's mission and values, a Subject Matter Expert (SME), work hard and do whatever it takes to be exceptional to client services, But, if you're not liked by the Deloitte Henchman or your coworkers don't like you (not part of the "click") - you don't "Fit" the new mold, your not pretty enough, or over a certain age - you're gone one way or another (and they will find a way to terminate you - even if you out on medical leave). CBC used to be one of the best BCBS Association Health Plans to work for, it was rewarding - even when in stressful times (heavy renewal time) Great Management Teams made it fun. Everyone knows changes in healthcare and health plans is an Annual Affair, but uprooting and terminating those with the knowledge and connections to retain clients and those who worked hard for many years to bring in new business did not have to go.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Absolutely wonderful, amazing.

Feb 24, 2011 - Other Party Liability Specialist in Lemoyne, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

CBC is a main stay here in Central Pa, and knowing that I am a small part of a great company providing serivce to our members make me proud. Capital treats it's employees fairly and with respect. Provides us with Health Insurance and a minimal cost compared to other businesses

Cons

Way too many Vice Presidents within the company. We went without raises for a year and a half and during that time multiple individuals were named as Vice Presidents.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A pleasant experience for the majority of my time at CBC, until restructuring & cutbacks, caused a hostile environment

Jul 20, 2014 - Desktop Support Specialist in Harrisburg, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

For the first couple of years it was a very pleasant work environment and the structure of the company made sense. (Even though we still were very top heavy with so many directors and managers it was unreal.) But, it was very much a family atmosphere. The end users that I supported treated me with the upmost respect and I received dozens of emails from all levels of the company even senior level executives whom i provided executive technical support to, for most of my career there. When the economy went down and job cuts started happening and they decided to reorganize everything, is when things began to crumble, and has only gotten worse. But for the most part, It was a god company that I enjoyed waking up to everyday. A job that didn't even seem like a job because I was doing what i love and I worked with a great group of people in my department and got to support and work with great people all over the company. The pay was competitive, with nice bonuses as long as the company meets it's goal for the year.

Cons

Since the economy crashed, CBC cut back on it's work force, and has done multiple reorganizations of departments, Some don't make any sense at all. The worst part of this is that Every single employee has suffered because of the lower amount of employees, workers are expected to take on a workload that is so overwhelming, it has turned a company full of happy people and a solid unit of people willing to work together as a team and help one another when one is in need of assistance. These days, Everyone seems to be beyond stressed and can barely keep their head above water. In fact it's gotten so bad that many employees don't even get along anymore because of a situation regarding a task that may of needed completed by one person ended up falling into the hands of another and it's this non stop bickering between employees on who carries more of the workload. The younger workforce does take on a great deal more than the tenured staff who know that they have been there so long and that they can coast through the rest of the years at CBC before retirement that they are not pulling their weight what so ever and the jobs they do take on are the easiest to complete. Jobs that could easily be taken care of by inexpensive interns or contractors which the company or at least a lot of the areas don't take advantage of anymore. Since, i've left, i've kept in touch with some, and every single last one of them is seeking employment elsewhere due to this unrealistic workload that no one can achieve. People sick of the hostile work environment that has developed, and people are just miserable. I understand it's the economy and most places are doing these types of things but CBC has taken to a whole new level and a lot of people have been hanging in there for years but the problem only has been getting worse to the point that it effects there personal lives, and has made some of the most pleasant people turn into irritable, short fused and just down right nasty to their co workers. It's a shame because, before the reorganizations of the departments, we had good teams lead by great managers and everything ran like a well oiled machine. Everyone got a long, we as a team would have group outings at least once a month because we all were friends and worked great together and it brought the team closer together. CBC was good to me over the years, but from what i've witness and been through, i'm glad that i'm no longer an employee there. I think the problem is only going to get worse and I see certain areas being outsourced all together and everyone that works in these ares knows it because the writing is all over the wall.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

RN reviewer in Appeals

Mar 30, 2017 - Registered Nurse in Harrisburg, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely employees, great orientation person who was kind and helpful... Great cafeteria w/a LOT of healthy choices & a salad bar... (my favorite) I wish my first experience could have been better.  I was a new contractor~doing well work-wise, and had a fantastic lady doing my orientation (we're still friendly to this day) in Appeals.  It was different from UR (my preference), but I was learning a LOT. My work was praised daily, and I was eager to please and anxious to learn.

Cons

Background: I had just had a spur taken off a vertebrae two weeks before starting at CBC. It was an "in-and-out" laparoscopic surgery, and I'd made a full recovery as far as pain. I still was recovering movement and stamina, but nothing was "wrong" with me. I never mentioned it at work, nor did it impinge my ability to do the JOB. A long walk from an acres-long parking lot was still a little beyond me, but they had handicapped parking, so I thought nothing of it. A few weeks in, I was paged overhead and told to come downstairs. I thought there was an emergency with my family, as only 2 people had my contact number at work. I was told by the security guard that I was forbidden to park in the handicapped parking (I had the official placard) which had a multitude of spots that were never totally full. I asked if I could stay there for the day & asked if there was someone I could talk to. I even joked around with the security person b/c I'd mentioned it at the desk the FIRST DAY I worked there at the end of the day. On this day, I was directed to a back office where I asked if I could have a designated spot a little closer, and they became very rude and aggressive with me.  They told me that I had to fill out a form that requested full records from my personal physician about my surgery and WHY I needed a spot and HOW LONG I would need it. I was FLOORED. When I asked why, as a "contract" person, I would have to provide (intrusive) personal medical information when I already had the placard/documentation for the placard, I was treated as though I'd been insubordinate.  Near tears, I left the office and said that I would just park wherever I could find a spot the next day. I received a call from my agency that same evening that my services were "no longer required". I wrote an e-mail apologizing to whomever I'd offended and sent it to my orientation person. She was told to drop it when she attempted to pass it on. I never told anyone about this or went to social media, until I was told today that I was not wanted back there ever again.

7. 2.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

Decent Company, Mediocre Experience

Aug 18, 2015 - Intern in Harrisburg, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team environment, friendly with good benefits for employees and fun opportunities and events. Pretty black and white in terms of what company does and what it looks for. When I did have a project, it was very step-oriented and great for an organized, detailed person.

Cons

A LOT of downtime is an understatement. In my experience as an intern, we were often confused about what we should be doing, and more often than not had nothing at all to be doing. Sometimes felt like CBC was top heavy and over-managed.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Retail Sales and Service Representative

May 2, 2017 - Customer Service and Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful store and work environment.

Cons

Juggle many things/wear many hats. Customer service, medicare sales, individual sales, small group sales, community events, other projects to help other departments of CBC

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews