Capital Caring Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 3, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Malene Smith Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best provider best employer"

Current Employee - Physician in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Physician in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Capital Caring full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Capital Caring is leading the way and has innovative ways to help our patients that no other hospices can-like interventional pain clinic and TeleCaring.

Cons

End of life is very scary and patients aren't well prepared by the hospital making this work critical.

Advice to Management

Continue to care for the local staff

"Excellent staff but poor top management"

I worked at Capital Caring full-time

Pros

Excellent, amazing staff. Those called to work in hospice are truly special angels on earth.

Cons

Upper management has established unrealistic goals and quotas that create stress for big-hearted, generous-with-their-own-time employees. Sadly, a large turnover is the result. I've never worked for a company with a revolving door like I've seen at Capital Caring.

Advice to Management

Your employees ARE your company. Take care of them and they will build your company for you. You don't need the whips and chairs. You're just driving away your best asset. Stop your obsession with expanding your borders, quit saying that you're "world class" and please stop saying you care for our "moms and dads". It's corny after the 3rd time.

3. "Great misssion, great people"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Capital Caring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can really make a difference but you need to be prepared to work hard. It's not a problem if you are committed

Cons

Dealing with the stress, you need to manage your schedule and have good time management

Advice to Management

I feel my manager does a god job recognizing our hard work and keeps us focused on doing our best

4. "HR"

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator

I worked at Capital Caring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved my coworkers. Good environment to work in. Good benefits. Overtime opportunities.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as balance of power in the company. 3 people's work is dropped on 1 person. And the person who is actually doing the most job is not appreciated, or paid well.

Advice to Management

Your employees are working hard. Please let them know that you appreciate the hard work they do. Not only the clinical folks, but the administrative folks are working very hard!!!

5. "RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Capital Caring part-time

Pros

Wonderful people to work with - fellow employees are dedicated to patients and Hospice Philosophy, and very supportive of each other. Middle Management also dedicated and as helpful as they can be within the existing framework of the organization.

Cons

Lack of shared governance - management upper echelon sometimes seems to engage in oligarchical decision making, painfully impacting their employees job satisfaction and work flow. Awful staff/patient ratios. As staff, one feels a bit disposable.

Advice to Management

Upper management, consider the judgement and opinion of those below you.

"RN"

I have been working at Capital Caring full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are wonderful as are the patients

Cons

Very poor management....Patient care is not a priority. Management does not allow for patient advocacy, safety is not a concern. It is not unheard of to have more than 7 patients at a time, if you speak up about safety you can be fired on the spot.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff

"Rewarding work"

I have been working at Capital Caring full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working in hospice care is indeed a calling and Capital Caring provides amazing services to their patients and families. Great sense of team work within my office, coworkers are very supportive of one another

Cons

A lot of transition in terms of staff and procedures. Definitely a need for self care when doing this type of work that you have to advocate for. I feel as though the company can focus on caring for their staff just as well as they care for their patients.

Advice to Management

Invest in your frontline staff. They are the core of the organization and also the most likely to burn out. It's sacred work but also can be very draining. Be cautious of high caseloads that clinicians can give their full attention to the patient..

"Empty Promises"

I have been working at Capital Caring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The initial "honeymoon" period is delightful. Benefits aren't terrible and up to 8% matching of 403B after a year of employment. Great field staff.

Cons

Upper management bullies into bottom lines, denies support to local offices, manipulates its staff and switches their pitch to suit their needs/m.o., forces you to listen to stories about West VA and uses language like "neighborhood", "moms and dads" that make me cringe with boundary issues.

Advice to Management

Employees are not deaf or blind to the double talk. Employees are the reason for any success upper management has. Support them!

"Social Worker"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Merrifield, VA
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Merrifield, VA

Pros

Fantastic work environment. Everyone is very nice and close, which can be important when working in a multidisciplinary team. I can't say enough good things about this company.

Cons

There was honestly no cons. The pay and benefits are great and all of the workers are respected by upper management.

10. "Administration"

I have been working at Capital Caring full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Visionary non-profit hospice on the cutting edge of hospice care. Dedication to the best possible patient care and high quality in a financially sustainable model. Great resources to do more than just what is required.

Cons

Have to have a way to renew and refresh one's self because there is a lot of emotion tied into working with people who are dying and supporting the families of these people.

Advice to Management

Keep saying thank you to all staff and keep looking for ways to be as supportive as possible