Capital Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Capital Group President Philip de Toledo
Philip de Toledo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work is robotic and repetitive, senior management isn't all that great (in 37 reviews)

• Overtime can ravage your work/life balance - something management pays lip service to (in 16 reviews)

1. "Client Service Rep."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training program is amazing the instructors and training managers are the best!

Cons

once out of training and training groups are seperated onto other teams there is a disconnect with most of the managers and the lack of development is taken out on the employees

Advice to Management

You need to have your team managers on the floor with their teams more often rather than in meetings or at other sites. They also need to be more helpful in the developement process because as a new employee i became discouraged.

"Outdated, incompetent managers. NOT a place for millenials."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They contribute 15% of your salary, bonus plus overtime into your retirement every year, but you have to stay 6 years to be fully vested. I also like the culture of long-term investing and not hopping on board every trend that fades.

Cons

Everyone is stuck in the 80s here, including the mentality of management and office décor. Don't be fooled by the newly renovated photos - those floors are only for marketing and PCS (high net worth division). One manager here is completely incompetent; no one in our or other departments knows how she keeps getting promoted or even has a job here. She only received a vanity promotion because the higher-ups realized she hadn't been promoted in decades. I've seen people fall asleep at their desk and snore during meetings. Decisions also take much longer than they should and there is high favoritism going on - one person was friends with his/her manager before he/she was hired! If you're under 40 with high intellectual curiosity, and a minority, stay away. Employees will take passive-aggressive jabs at you for being outside the white upper-middle class suburban culture. Maybe that's why the company is doing a diversity and inclusion overhaul in their hiring practices.

Advice to Management

For reviews, have underlings write reviews for managers. You'll be surprised at what you learn.

"Layoffs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Capital Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, excellent retirement savings plan, nice facility, bonuses, cafe & gym onsite, updated laptops & software, and generally pleasant culture & environment.

Cons

Rhetoric abounds regarding stability of your position. Layoffs are extremely common and without warning or notice. It matters who you make friends with as this is a "who you know" rather than "what you know" organization - they play favorites. Too many managers over one-two people; too many chiefs and not enough indians. This place reorganizes so much, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Secrets and uncertainty quash morale routinely.

Advice to Management

Lay yourselves off... your jobs are redundant.

"Changing for the worse"

I worked at Capital Group full-time

Pros

- Good company contributions to retirement account
    - Access to comprehensive training in a variety of technical and business subjects
    - Decent work/life balance
    - Flexible hours

Cons

- Overly bureaucratic processes slow any development to a crawl
    - Overly bureaucratic processes are enormously wasteful ($$$)
    - Too many meetings (meetings to plan other meetings, etc)
    - Moving to an outsourcing/consultant model which is bad news for associates

"Competitive, back-biting culture"

Former Employee - Senior BSA in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior BSA in Irvine, CA

I worked at Capital Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Salary and benefits. Modern facilities, Elegant campus.

Cons

Unpleasant, competitive, back-stabbing culture. Very restrictive on performing any personal stock transactions, in an IRA for instance.

Advice to Management

Fire the jerks. Keep people who want to do a good job for the company, not engage in self-promotion and fratricide.

"Programmer Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good company. competitive salary and perks

Cons

Worst SAP IT Directors, Managers and Team Leads and knowledge less IT staffs.

Advice to Management

Easy to outsource all the operational jobs and HR IT related jobs to Cloud based company with updated technology.

"Race to the bottom. Outsourcing with abandon."

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Base salary, 15% retirement contributions, bonuses 20-75% of salary. Nice Facilities. Plenty of Parking. Quality high calorie content Cafeteria food.

Cons

Healthcare is not subsidized like other organizations. Micro management. Fear. Systemic monitoring of how much time you're working vs. ACTUAL work done. Never actually getting ANYTHING accomplished. Insane amount of politics.

Advice to Management

It was a fun ride. Too bad ethics aren't the first priority anymore.

"Poor morale, staffing issues."

Former Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, retirement package is wonderful and while you need to be in the office from 8-5 no matter what, every really leaves at 5. There is a lovely cafeteria and the office space in LA and the Irvine Campus is beautiful. I held on for 7 years so I could cash in on my retirement.

Cons

Poor morale and staffing issues. There are countless meetings and promotions/development are inconsistent. If you don't come in at a Director or above level in Irvine, be prepared to walk. Garage spaces are given out to senior people (abut 2 levels are filled with $100K+ cars for senior leaders, while the rest of the company drives normal cars). I found this ironic because one of the values is about treating people fairly.

Advice to Management

Take more risk on things that don't impact your bottomline. It is ok to not have everyone in the company sign-off on programs to motivate employees.

"Contracting here is a scam"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The work-life balance is the only benefit to working here. Employee's work an 8 hour day, no more. Contractors will occasionally pull OT just to get the hours, but it isn't necessary to do your job. The only reason to accept a position here is if you have kids and are looking for a flexible paycheck - but you may have to give up your integrity to stick it out for long-term.

Cons

I really wanted to like this job, I was recruited by a 3rd party firm and told that it was a temp to potential hire contract position that would last up to 18 months with 3-6 month contract extension periods. I was also told that contractors were almost always hired on FT. I was quoted an hourly rate and given the annual equivalent rate (which seems astronomical compared to what I had been making) and was told I was able to get benefits (health, dental, etc) through the 3rd party firm.

What I found was that after my initial contract period, my contract extensions became shorter and shorter with no explanation as to why (even after I had inquired as to the truncation of my contracts). Towards the end, I was living from 45 day contract to 45 day contract. I found that only a small percentage of contractors ever made the transition to FT and if one did, it was only because they went through an excruciating interview process to prove that they were qualified for a job they had already been doing for the previous 18 months. I found that the hourly rate I was quoted was up to $25 dollars an hour less than contractors doing the same work as I was. When I inquired about the discrepancy in wages I was told that Capital would not renegotiate. The benefits I was offered would have cost me over $400 a month for minimum coverage. The job I thought would get me in a better financial position ended up putting me in a cycle of barely being able to pay my monthly bills.

But this doesn't even cover the toxic, unregulated and unprofessional environment that I worked in.

Contractors are treated as the lowest of the low by FT employees even though they are some of the most qualified and largest amount of work force in the company. FT employees do not communicate pertinent information that will be presented in closed door meetings that you will not be invited to (because you are "contigent" and not deemed necessary) and they will make errors consistently, but somehow those errors will become you, the contractor's, fault. There is limited training, no consistency and the process is constantly changing. You will always be wrong.

You will also not be invited to any company sponsored event, no matter the size. Be it a birthday cake in the office next door or a "team" happy hour in your bosses office. You will always be left out and not considered a member of the team. You are and always will be an outsider that is not good enough to be part of the "club".

You will have to get used to being expendable, because there is always another person eager for the "good paycheck" and "flexible work environment".

Advice to Management

Stop treating contractors like they are expendable. These are good people who want to do a good job for you, but you stack the deck against them and make it almost impossible for that to happen.

Your model is broken and will never work. The contractor based departments are crumbling and nothing is being done to address it.

"ok place to start"

Pros

benefits, people, cafeteria, workplace, grounds

Cons

micro-management, lack of upward mobility