Capital Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Capital Group President Philip de Toledo
Philip de Toledo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work is robotic and repetitive, senior management isn't all that great (in 37 reviews)

• Overtime can ravage your work/life balance - something management pays lip service to (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Capital Group is a tremendous company that takes care of their people."

Current Employee - Business Information Analyst Senior in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Business Information Analyst Senior in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High engagement with associates. Great benefits, particularly their retirement plan. People are generally easy to work with and the environment is not cutthroat like other places.

Cons

Sometimes getting things done can be slow due to the collaborative nature of the environment. All decisions are made in collaboration with others. I think this a strength, but things can take time.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. "Network Security Engineer"

Former Contractor - Network Security Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Contractor - Network Security Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Capital Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

No Cons. Best company to work.

Advice to Management

Good Job

3. "Love it here"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, promoting, 401k, schedule, medical benefits, on-site cafeteria, on-site gym, parking garage, working with a team.

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I've had the pleasure of working for Captial Group for 3 years and plan to give many more til retirement.

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and good culture and environment

Cons

some disparity in flexibility for roles

"This company has lifers for a reason"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative freedom to try new things.
    Leadership genuinely about your development (I've had leaders derail our 1:1 meetings to ask me if I'm getting the development opportunities I need).
    The nicest people. Period. I've worked in several industries and varying professions, and I've never had so many people from a single company so genuinely interested in my well being (both personally and professionally). The core values are alive and well here.
    Development opportunities are everywhere. They have a learning platform that includes content from the most prominent learning providers. This content grows every month. All of it free. Outside of that, they offer plenty of opportunities to learn from others.
    Base pay + bonus structure is amazing. Takes a few years to get the bonus percentages adding up, but everything builds upon itself. Just like their product, they take a long-term investment approach with employees as well. (part of the reason it's hard for people to leave)
    The retirement plan is insane. I'm sure a few other companies might offer the same level of investment on an employee's behalf, but I've never seen them.

Cons

It can be more of a traditional approach company. Sometimes rigorous analysis gets in the way of quick progress. By the time a move has been made, the opportunity may have passed.
    The company is still heavily siloed. Entire sections of the business operate so independently that you could work here 20 years and never know what someone in another business area does.
    Getting approvals for new technology can be a burden.
    PC culture dominates the company and you're not likely to get a Mac without an extremely good business case. If someone works better on a Mac, best just to give them a Mac.

Advice to Management

Find more opportunities for employees to rotate into new roles and gain experience in different areas of the business. The people I'm always most impressed with are those that have moved about frequently. They can quickly bring themselves up to speed in new situations and you can just tell they are more confidant in their actions. I think their movement is really key to developing rounded individuals that contribute at the top of the class.

6. "A great place to grow your career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits. Great work/life balance. Supportive, engaged managers who genuinely care about your development and your success. There is truly a huge emphasis on your development, with best-in-class resources available for associate use as well as additional leadership trainings and programs. Very flat organization; little emphasis on titles, everyone is kind and approachable.

Cons

There are a lot of meetings, many of which could be streamlined or eliminated. Little flexibility with regard to working remotely (though varies by group), though they are beginning to implement processes and moving in the right direction!

Advice to Management

Keep up your great focus on associate engagement, and all that you do to make this such a great company to work for!

"Shareholder Services"

Former Employee - Shareholder Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Shareholder Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for, great benefits and culture. The managers are incredible with an open door policy and are always looking to help improve all employees. The company does everything to set you up for success in your roll

There is a great outdoor area with fountains and seating for breaks or outdoor meetings. They also have a cafe on site with delicious food selections where you can have breakfast, lunch and even a early dinner.

cubicles have desks that can be adjusted to a seating or standing arrangement

Cons

Even though it is needed, the training is very tedious and long. The trainers do everything they can to make it lively but it is a grind

8. "So many good things"

Current Employee - Business Support in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Business Support in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Capital Group (More than a year)

Pros

The best job I ever had, great pay and great people

Cons

To bad it had to be a contract job

Advice to Management

So many opportunities with this company. Trying to get in noe8

9. "Results Analyst"

Current Employee - Results Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Results Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, fun work environment, lots of meetings, paid OT even though salaried, great benefits, worthwhile and ever changing work, lots of collaboration and learning opportunities

Cons

Relaxed atmosphere can lead to some stressful days, not a lot of upward potential as managers and higher only leave for retirement because of great benefits package

Advice to Management

Incentive young employees to stay by more cross team moves, specialized roles with higher salaries, more teams in different offices

"A humble oasis within financial services"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, thoughtful, collaborative, honest people.

Cons

Constant reorgs. Lack of prioritization. Too many boards, exec committees, steering groups, sponsor meetings, etc.

Advice to Management

Clear up matrix orgs and let people do their jobs.