Capital Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work is robotic and repetitive, senior management isn't all that great (in 37 reviews)

• Overtime can ravage your work/life balance - something management pays lip service to (in 16 reviews)

"Slow, Behind the Times, Poor Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation package, work life balance is great.

Cons

So much process that no one actually knows what the process really is. Projects get started, delayed, and then dropped constantly. You never feel like you're actually accomplishing anything. Easily 5-8 years behind the times from a technology perspective. "People Managers" don't actually know how to manage. I don't know a single good example of a manager here. They all look out for themselves. Decisions are made regarding employees without discussion with that employee.

Advice to Management

You need a complete overhaul of your NAD leadership team and IT organization. I know so many unhappy people here. People come here just to coast into retirement.

2. "Best Company I've worked for."

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Private company so they're not subject to the vagaries of a publicly traded company; plenty of opportunities to shine or "stretch", i.e. take initiative to get something done and be recognized for it; plenty of chances to put in overtime and bump your annual income by +20%; annual bonuses are fantastic and can increase your annual salary by another 20%. Learning opportunities are also offered - mostly online - so you can learn new skills. Bottom line: if you have the drive and take the initiative, you can do very well for yourself and your family working for CG. There is no shortage of available work! My managers have been some of the best I've had in my career; they are genuinely interested in improving your skill set. I enjoy my regular meetings with my manager to get his feedback on my projects and advice on how to proceed.

Cons

There are tons of meetings and progress on initiatives seems to take forever at times; big projects can change direction in a moment's notice because they weren't engineered with enough technical input; expensive technical purchases appear to be driven by emotions at times and not by sound purchasing strategies. You can expect to get a new buzzword introduced every 6 months or so to describe your workload, a team effort or a current project. Overtime can ravage your work/life balance - something management pays lip service to.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at which of your directors are spending the most money, how they're spending it and why.

3. "Client Services Representative"

Current Employee - Client Services Representative in Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services Representative in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, people and management. Wonderful company to work for. Position gives a great understanding of the financial investment landscape for personal investors and advisors.

Cons

Position is part of an extremely large department which makes it difficult to move into other positions as there are a substantial number of competing candidates. Answering phone calls all day, everyday, can wear you down.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits were good not great
    - Coffee stations and the kitchen was impressively stocked
    - Respectful management

Cons

- You get 3.5 weeks off but work an extra 2.5 hours overtime every week which adds up to 3.5 weeks overtime per year. That is not mentioned in the interview process
    - The overtime is then factored into your base pay to make it look like you make more
    - Base pay is average, they lure you in with the benefits but they aren't that great. I don't know if most people haven't worked for fortune 500 companies but the benefits are similar to so many other decent companies around and some companies especially Scandinavian based companies have amazing benefits
    - A lot of people are burned out from doing the same tedious job for 8-10 years
    - No room for upward mobility
    - Stratified and completely elitist as all hell
    - Some indoctrination that is completely unnecessary, for example, meeting weekly with your boss to discuss the most tedious things ever. As well as discussing the culture of capital as if it's a religion and elevating senior executives of the company to an almost rock star admiration - totally weird
    - They try to sell you how lucky you are to be there, it's completely weird, if you're a great company, you don't have to sell it to me

Advice to Management

- None, they know exactly what they are doing and are fine with the outcomes, nothing I say can change that, it's a purely capitalistic establishment of dog eat dog
    - If you stay at Capital, like most people do and are stuck in the same job for 7-10 years; meanwhile, upper management is getting promotions and bonuses; you need the advice: Leave, run and don't look back! :)

5. "A company that honestly cares about you"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Capital Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are awesome, they basically are paying for your retirement without any personal contribution. The environment is great also, top notch equipment and the building and location is gorgeous. Management is approachable and I always enjoyed going to work.
    The PTO and sick time is very generous.
    The two annual bonuses are really nice

Cons

some processes are very lengthy and need to be improved, but they are working on these things. ex. they just implemented rightfax instead of literally getting up from your desk to print and the fax a document, huge waste of paper.

Advice to Management

just keep doing what you do. your people are very happy

"Business Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great health insurance
    - Fantastic retirement plan
    - Nice, smart people
    - "They've only had one round of lay-offs in its 75+ year history"
    - A large majority of the people at CG whom I've met have been there over 5 years
    - Very stable

Cons

- "They've only had one round of lay-offs in its 75+ year history"
    - Doing things differently is encouraged until you try to do something differently
    - There is great hesitation to do something that could be wrong or do something when there's not consensus that it's the right decision
    - Stifling for anyone who has an entrepreneurial, get-it-done mindset as the consensus-mentality cripples the efficiency to the decision-making process
    - There is a vast underrepresentation of Millennials who are Associates and not contractors. My assumption is because they leave frustrated with the pace of work.
    - Management is laden with burdensome tasks that detract them from inspiring their people to be great. Well, I should say mgmt distracts themselves with burdensome tasks rather than truly knowing and investing in their people.
    - If you're looking for a place to be inspired, feel heard and reach that wonderful place where your and the company's purpose align, then this would not be a good place. If you're looking for a paycheck where you work with pleasant, kind people, this is the perfect place for you.

Advice to Management

A quote from Saint-Exupery comes to mind, "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."

Gallup said it best, "People don't leave the company, they leave their manager."

The current focus for managers is People, Systems and Performance when it should be People, People and People.

7. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Product Management Specialist in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management Specialist in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Capital Group (More than a year)

Pros

compensation, MRP, bonus structure, private firm

Cons

continuous reorganization, uncertainty of DOL impact

8. "Hard to leave"

Current Employee - Client Services Representative - Senior in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services Representative - Senior in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits that get better the longer you work here. A retirement plan 15% annual employer contribution...unheard of!

Cons

This is a phone job. Don't expect much time off the phones. Schedule adherence important like any other call center job.

Advice to Management

Be available and don't forget what it was like to take phone calls all day.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very supportive of work life balance, decisions are well thought out, benefits are awesome, very collaborative environment, beautiful Irvine campus, product is great

Cons

decisions can be very slow, analysis paralysis, over collaboration to the point of unanimous decision making, environment has become very bureaucratic (too many layers of senior management) over the years

Advice to Management

Value loyalty and tenure ship. Go back to the flat organization that was there and highly talked about during the early 2000 years, that was when CG was at the best.

10. "Comfortable environment"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good pay, nice offices, good food, fun activities

Cons

Sometimes restrictive environment, not a lot of career growth

Advice to Management

You hire great people, give them more opportunities to be challenged