Capital Newspapers Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Multi-Media Rep"

Former Employee - Multi-Media Representative in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Multi-Media Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company! Extremely flexible work schedule. You have the ability to make a lot of money if you work hard (base + commission structure). Monthly cell phone allowance and milage reimbursement as well.

Cons

Newspaper industry is declining, but Capital Newspapers has a full serviced digital agency to help make up for that loss.

2. "Feels like family"

Former Employee - Reporter in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Reporter in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn. Managers and HR people are approachable. Upward mobility.

Cons

Building is a older, but that's what gives its charm.

3. "Multimedia Representative"

Former Employee - Multimedia Representative in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Multimedia Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management staff + fun team environment to work in. Huge distribution and network you have to work with. If you are a self motivated sales representative who enjoys hitting the streets everyday, this job will certainly not constrain you within the Madison city limits...

Cons

Capital Newspaper brand was sometimes hard to sell due to amount of competition within the Madison limits.

4. "Do you enjoy a good old boys club? With low pay? This is the place for you!"

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, no micromanagement whatsoever. You will work very independently. And by independently I mean on your own. It's a great way to network with local businesses in the area.

Cons

Low base pay, commissions are horrible, belittlement if you don't hit your goal, blatant favoritism. You can make more money driving your car around running up your mileage for reimbursement. All the good leads and big accounts are given to the old jaded dinosaurs.

Advice to Management

Your long tenured sales managers are just phoning it in. There are a few people who actually do still care about the place that should be elevated into those management positions instead. You need to motivate the reps that you have along with the new one that you bring in. You need a better training program. Let's face the fact that newspaper is dying.

5. "Average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Longevity can be very possible.

Cons

The newspaper industry is shrinking dramatically.

Advice to Management

Do not look for cookie-cutter employee skills. Think outside of the box to maximize each employee's individual skills.

6. "It was awesome in its day"

Former Employee - I Provided Editorial and Writing Services in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - I Provided Editorial and Writing Services in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I joined the staff, newspapers were still king, and I had every reason to expect I would retire from CN. It had great retirement benefits, and I received a generous raise when I was promoted. I was never micromanaged, and for me personally, it was the perfect job in the beginning, and the perfect workplace.

Cons

Who could have imagined the combined impact of the Internet and the 2008 Market Crash? One day there was money. The next day there wasn't. I realize they had to make some tough choices, but it seemed like they consistently made the wrong choices. It was almost as if they were starving the beast, WANTING the company to go down in flames. The worst part was that over many years, I took many initiatives to improve things (even when we were doing well) and management couldn't be bothered.

Advice to Management

For those of you who are left, please listen to the employees you have left. They just might have a good idea.

7. "Senior Major Account Executive"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job to do, load of flexibility

Cons

Very poor management structure. No support

8. "This was a good company, and great people to work with."

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in beautiful Madison, WI, I enjoyed working with a diverse customer list and the ability for every day to be different! It was challenging and fun to build my book of business to over double what it started as, and the teamwork and leadership opportunities were great! Since this is a network of more newspapers, it was great that there were other opportunities across the country too!

Cons

I no longer live in Madison, WI so it's not an option to work there.

Advice to Management

It'd be great to have the company's mission statement front and center for employees.

9. "A sinking ship!"

Former Employee - Ad Sales in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Ad Sales in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of co-workers, unfortunately, many of the veterans are no longer there! Compensation was good and plenty of opportunities for spiffs and bonuses along the way.

Cons

Declining circulation and poor management; short sighted managers, don't care about employees and customer relationships, just focused on revenue.

10. "Great Job....Horrible Pay"

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was nice having a flexible Schedule, getting free suite tickets to the Kohl Center was a nice bonus. Very nice co-workers.

Cons

No formal training program in place. It's a revolving door with sales reps. No growth opportunities and veteran employees get all the leads. Incentive prizes not given fairly.. all reps that make the incentive are put into a drawing instead of top reps getting the bonus.

Advice to Management

In order to attract and retain top talent increase salaries and commission structure.