Capital One Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

Capital One McLean Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

McLean, VA

Cons

1. "A good place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA

Pros

Capital One has a great culture. Everyone there is very friendly and smart. There's also an incredibly good work-life balance, and the company has a strong work-from-home culture.

Cons

At times, work becomes very bureaucratic. There are a large number of processes that have to be completed to get anything done. Some managers are not particularly strong as well.

Advice to Management

Make everything more efficient. Streamline processes wherever possible, and focus on giving stronger managers more people under them.

"Flexible Career"

Current Employee - Business Analyst Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is a plus. Smart and hardworking colleagues. Lack of established processes makes the work exciting, but frustrating at the same time.

Cons

Promotion is a function of your relationship with your manager. It is best to work for a couple years, leave the company, and then rejoin the company later on at a higher level.

Advice to Management

Improve the performance management system. It is curious to prefer hiring consultants with 4 years experience as a Vice President or higher than promoting your own employees who have been with the company for more than 10 years.

Capital One Response

Oct 24, 2016 – Associate & Candidate Experience Team

Hi! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us – we’re glad to hear you’re feeling the work-life balance! Know that your feedback about the performance management system is hugely important to ... More

"Excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Product Owner in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Product Owner in McLean, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Vacation time, Laid back and fun environment, Innovative and collaborative work. Great for gaining new experiences. The company allows for lateral moves to different projects.

Cons

Low pay and difficult to get promoted. They don't have many flex jobs or telecommute roles.

Advice to Management

Listen to the associate surveys. People only leave Cap One because of their managers. The other benefits and the work environment are excellent when you have good management. Promotions and raises are also a big reason top talent leaves Capital One.

5. "Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Comfortable pay
    - EXCELLENT 401k and healthcare benefits
    - People are nice

Cons

- ...BUT the culture is boring and robotic to say the least
    - Lowest company diversity of any I've ever seen. Heavy skew of white male employees from generally privileged backgrounds operating a company for low credit customers??
    - Strives to be a tech company like a cat wanting to be a dog, but is constrained by heavy regulations and underwriting investment as per financial institutions
    - Unmerited inflated egos just like in other large companies
    - Bureaucracy and company politics dictate the environment just like in other large companies
    - Work life balance is completely up to your team, so it's all up to chance. You face both extremes at Capital One

Advice to Management

Executive management is strong, but few people see the top of the pyramid. Do a better job training middle management to be managers rather than just funnel excellent analysts into people management roles. Put a focus on automating tasks and at least skeletal documentation.

6. "AVP"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in McLean, VA

I worked at Capital One (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay with very good benefits

Cons

ABSOLUTELY NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE!!! Don't believe the hype. Very high pressure to achieve arbitrary and unrealistic goals. Slow to make changes necessary to remaining relevant in competitive markets.

7. "I used to love this place"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in McLean, VA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

When I first started here, I loved this place.. Some of the employees are very nice and helpful. You can learn a tremendous amount of info here. It does appear they do care and are concerned about their employees. There is a work life balance here. Over all, it is not a bad place to work at or contract to an extent if you are fortunate to be hired here.

Cons

There is a lack of diversity here. It also seems they rather hire within the company and maybe have what they are already looking for in mind. I have a bachelors in a field I have applied for with this company multiple times that only required at GED and they have continually told me "I am not the right fit" Whatever that means. I enjoy working with this company but I don't understand why I'm not the right fit. I have also had encounters with employees that are obnoxious toward the contractors and actually don't want to help or encourage you. I don't know why (They have come off entitled) but it has happened.

Advice to Management

Take chances with other "people". Some of your management have no idea what they're doing and your contractors are doing the work for them. Not all. There are obvious reasons you hire contractors to get these projects done. If they are qualified for these contract roles, they should be qualified for permanent roles as well.

"Software Engineer - Good opportunities to learn technology"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology
    - Opportunities to work with new technologies, there's definitely a heavy emphasis on using open source tools, openly encouraged to build with new instead of old. In terms of my personal experience, this includes backend, frontend, and DevOps.
    - No issues obtaining tools you need to do your job (software, hardware). This may be team dependent.
    - People are willing to share their knowledge within the company. There are many ways to do this and it is encouraged.

Environment
    - Lots of smart people in the company with varying levels of experience. You can learn a lot from them.
    - For the most part, pretty relaxed environment. People can dress fairly casually.
    - The building itself is pretty nice, and a new one is being built as well.
    - Snacks! This might also be team dependent.

Benefits
    - Excellent 401k matching.
    - Other benefits are industry standard for the most part, but are solid.

Cons

Performance Management
    - You are expected to essentially compete against other people of your level. Even if you perform pretty well for your project and your team approves of your work, it may not be enough.

Technology
    - Since there has been such a shift to use new technologies, there is a lot of change within the technology stack. If you use an application which integrates with other new applications/systems, there is definitely some growing pains and a learning curve.
    - Still in the process of updating legacy software and integrating with legacy systems. Still need some time to fully go modern in terms of the stack.
    - Agile is pushed but there still needs to be refinement in terms of how it's implemented. Not sure how different organizations handle this, but there needs to be a FULL buy in from all parties (business and tech) otherwise it leads to many inefficiencies and Agile in name.

Environment
    - Probably a case of preference, but it's mostly an open floor plan. Some people can be loud across the room and you can hear them.
    - I wish work from home was more acceptable on a regular basis. It is definitely possible to do this occasionally but it is not encouraged. This is also probably team dependent.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage people to use and experiment with new technology. Keep on modernizing the infrastructure. If you want to be known as a technology company, keep investing in your own talent. If you want to keep and retain the best, pay us like the best! There's a reason why people will flock to the Googles/Amazons/Facebooks and so on. Compensation could be better! Keep us happy and we will change banking for good.

9. "Admin Assistant III"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in McLean, VA

Pros

benefits
    location
    start time flexibility
    work from home

Cons

Challenging for minorities
    racism
    non whites can make many mistakes
    minorities are held to a higher standard
    long commute

Advice to Management

put a minority in charge of diversity

10. "Finance Rotation Program Associate"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of mentorship, networking opportunities, and a diverse set of roles you can be placed in. Great work-life balance. A lot of training in different areas and a few different locations you could work in too.

Cons

Not much choice in where you land in your rotations, process seems arbitrary.

11. "Senior operations product coordinator"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Product Coordinator in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Product Coordinator in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One (Less than a year)

Pros

good culture , excellent working environment

Cons

No or very less support from senior management .

Showing 284 of 4,503 reviews