Capital One Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8

4,525 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Could be great, missed opportunity"

Former Employee - Product Designer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Product Designer in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Lots of travel opportunity. Great for some (not for everyone)— especially for people avoiding their families or trying to have an affair.

If you don't like your current team, you can often move to another one or relocate to another location.

Great opportunity to learn new skills.
    Some of the leadership is inspiring.
    Nice workspaces for some.

Cons

Gender-biased, misguided, disorganized, competitive structure, reorgs frequent

This place is trying to be a start-up with huge enterprise problems—it's awkward. Makes for a lot of wasted effort for people trying to get things done in an innovative way with business-side making the last judgment. Shiny object syndrome. Emphasis on PR moments over fixing real problems.

Performance reviews lend to a gender- or personality-bias when it comes to promotions. Women and/or introverts often get the short end of the stick unless they have a great/shark managers. I've seen the most ineffective game-players get promoted over competent and effective peers who seemed to get punished for actually getting things done and not wasting their energy dick-swinging or taking unnecessary travel. In effect, a lot of the people promoted do not make for the best leadership. Bad management.

Too many cooks in the kitchen with product or design, not enough project managers (or none at all).

Constant reorganization is exhausting and disorienting. Nobody knows what's going on. Deflates spirit and doesn't help progress.

Advice to Management

Pay attention. Don't just spend money on diversity & inclusion training — really implement some change in the culture.

Get organized. Lessen reorgs. Stop acquiring other companies before you can handle what you have.

You are not a tech company or a start up, just face it. Just be a better company, spend the money on hiring better engineers instead of on business people from failed start-ups who don't know how to work effectively in enterprise environments.

2. "Couldn't ask for a better company to work for!"

Current Employee - Principal Data Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Data Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and flexibility to balance work and life, as well as to take ownership of your career. My leadership is incredibly passionate about making sure each of our associates are doing work that is truly fulfilling and inspiring. Never have I felt limited by hierarchy, role, team, etc. My opinion feels valued and I have many ways to voice it. I love that I can take an idea and run with it, without needing layers upon layers of approval. The pay and benefits are fantastic.

Cons

We've made improvements (and continue to make improvements), by leaps and bounds, but sometimes process slows down delivery of work.

Advice to Management

I haven't had any issues with my leadership.

3. "Systems Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity, growth and training available to CAPONE employees.

Cons

During my tenure with Capital One there were several changes in executive management which in turn changed the direction and the thought process on how best to get there.

Advice to Management

Determine the direction and stick with it, make it work.

4. "Registered Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Capital One offered excellent benefits - medical, 401k matching. Clean, comfortable buildings with cafe's in most of them.

Cons

Unless you are management, you do not have the opportunity to participate in all the social engagements they have throughout the day. You are welcomed to what feels like an atmosphere of inclusion, but that's only for managers. I will rate the culture and values low because of this.

Advice to Management

If you are wanting to change banking for good, you should change challenge the way it's handled on the back end more aggressively.

"A Bank that Doesn't Feel Like A Bank"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Capital One's forward-thinking, development-focused culture is the main selling point, in my opinion. The company is made up intelligent, driven associates who are supported by a management team that is committed to engaging them as humans, not just employees. The focus on growth is tangible, and it makes all the difference.

Another point that stands out is the willingness to take risks and learn from failure. The party line is that, if you never fail, you aren't trying hard enough, and this is taken into account when evaluating performance.

All in all, when most people imagine what it's like to work at a bank, they imagine a scene out of "Office Space" or the beginning part of "Fight Club" before things get weird. Capital One is lightyears away from that stereotype. It feels more like a technology company than a bank, more akin to Google than Goldman.

Cons

Because we're in such a heavily regulated industry, there are a ton of governance tasks and checks and balances. It can sometimes feel like you spend a large amount of your time cutting through red tape. This isn't such a big deal most days though.

Advice to Management

Culturally, keep on keeping on.

6. "Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Director in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The structure of how work is done, coupled with a culture of moving associates through different teams and experiences contributes to a great learning environment. During my tenure, I have worked on expansion strategies, marketing, underwriting, new product development and associate-facing development programs. My managers have been supportive of learning new skills through trainings, projects, and conferences. I have learned a lot in five years!

Cons

Banking is a highly regulated industry, which means that getting something to market can take quite a while. And, like many public companies I see leaders falling into the trap of focusing on short-term results over long-term strategy.

Advice to Management

Would love to see more women in senior leadership positions, especially in the C-Suite and on the board!

7. "Great culture, regulatory bureaucracy, performance appraisal needs changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Fantastic culture
    - open , non -hierarchical
    - work from home and other benefits

Cons

- bureaucracy can be stiffling due to regulations, etc
    - performance appraisal helps people who use PR rather than actual work....
    - Salesmanship over substance
    - IT is sub-optimal.

Advice to Management

- Adjust your performance review process to look at talent and their achievements rather than people who sell.....
    - IT needs revamp.... (Agile is not always the answer to how IT works.)

8. "Swinging between Financial to Technology Company"

Former Employee - Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People at the top are visionary
    Benefits are excellent

Cons

Mid level managers spend too much time in meetings and are not allowing productive employees do their actual jobs.

Advice to Management

Cut down meetings.
    Reward effort and result.

9. "Contract Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture! Great working environment - felt like I was work WITH people, not for them.

Cons

none that I can think of.

10. "Universal Branch Associate"

Former Employee - Universal Branch Associate in College Point, NY
    Former Employee - Universal Branch Associate in College Point, NY

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i really like the culture and the people of the bank.

Cons

Actually i didn't find any cons.

Showing 4,525 of 4,739 reviews