Capital One Reviews

Join the conversation on

Finance

47.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Capital One~3736
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Four and half percent matching on the 401k plus extra 3% is great benefit.(in 1673 reviews)
  • "The work life balance if great and I think it's one of the reasons much of the tech staff has been patient but that's waining(in 1056 reviews)
  • "Great people (the ones who aren't looking to simply climb the ladder)(in 875 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and processes are set up to allow entrepreneurial thought at any level.(in 729 reviews)
  • "Good pay (not great)(in 564 reviews)
Cons
  • "Performance management structure makes it difficult to get promoted unless you happen to know the right person and be on a highly visible project(in 449 reviews)
  • "Recognition and Advancement sometimes is more dependent on having a good manager to represent you in cross(in 373 reviews)
  • "Old old infrastructure and talent and performance management is bad(in 213 reviews)
  • "A LOT of ASMs have resigned recently and senior leadership's attitude is that everyone is easily replaceable.(in 120 reviews)
  • "Very poor upper management starting at the top home loans.(in 100 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Capital One and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

May 19, 2022 - Vice President in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management really cares about employees; smart people; collaborative culture

Cons

Large company that takes a long time to make decisions

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Had to leave Auto Finance due to toxic work culture

Apr 21, 2022 - AREA SALES MANAGER in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

They had some of the best training on understanding a car dealer.

Cons

They will keep piling responsibilities on your plate without compensation saying it will help you to get promoted. If you ask to be compensated like I did. You'll be told to sit down and be grateful to even have a job. They micromanage you to death. Logging visits. Big brother is always watching. They have access to everything you do on your phones. They have created an echo chamber of yes men at mgmt level. Their RSMs have zero say so no one is fighting for the field managers. If you have any negarive feedback about new things or products you are deemed negative and a cancer even though your feedback is valid. Everything is run by an analytics team who have zero experience in the auto industry. They are an auto finance lender that wants to be a tech company who threw together an incomplete product during covid because they took too long to come up with something new by then. They have gotten away from their relationships. A few of the upper mgmt in Auto Finance are racist (and sexist) and you can tell by who got top promotions and comments they've made over the long term I was there. They held bonuses and vacation time that was due to me when I left.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Customer focus, constant change

Oct 15, 2021 - Senior Manager, Product Manager in Plano, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

True customer focus through all levels of management. Everyone is collaborating with the customers' best interests at heart. As a product manager I got to partner with designers, business analysts, data engineers, and of course my tech teams of 4-7 software engineers. Auto loans is organized into "experiences," each focused on a different phase of the customer's journey, and product managers get a high level of autonomy to develop new features and improve processes. My projects were engaging. People across job families were engaged in their work, smart, collaborative, and really nice. Also we're a good mix of a tech company and a bank: product and technology are at the focus of the company, but you still get banking holidays and log out at 5pm every day. I was in auto loans in the Plano campus.

Cons

There is a high level of change: I had 5 managers in the last 12 months. That's higher than average, but everyone seems to change managers at least once a year if not twice; either because the manager gets moved to a different team or because you do. My projects tended to get changed frequently as well: partway through a project, leadership would change the objective and ask us to focus on a different goal, abruptly stopping a 6- or 12-month project halfway through without us delivering anything. That happened enough to my projects and other product managers' to become a pattern. This all combines to a frustrating level of change when you have really interesting projects and would love to get them out to customers. My advice would be to start coding an MVP as quickly as possible so you can at least deliver something before priorities shift.

27 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Huge pay disparity between associates under the same job title

May 17, 2022 - Cafe Ambassador in Richmond, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is great, benefits are amazing, PTO balance is nice

Cons

Huge pay disparity between associates under the same title, they pay external hires significantly more than people who work hard to make multi-level jumps (ie from coordinator level to associate), some Associate level employees are making only a few cents more than call center coordinator employees

Continue reading