Capital One Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0

1,746 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Can hit your Work life balance but i think it depends on your team (in 169 reviews)

• Performance Management process is a little rigid (in 168 reviews)

"Could be great, missed opportunity"

Former Employee - Product Designer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Product Designer in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Lots of travel opportunity. Great for some (not for everyone)— especially for people avoiding their families or trying to have an affair.

If you don't like your current team, you can often move to another one or relocate to another location.

Great opportunity to learn new skills.
    Some of the leadership is inspiring.
    Nice workspaces for some.

Cons

Gender-biased, misguided, disorganized, competitive structure, reorgs frequent

This place is trying to be a start-up with huge enterprise problems—it's awkward. Makes for a lot of wasted effort for people trying to get things done in an innovative way with business-side making the last judgment. Shiny object syndrome. Emphasis on PR moments over fixing real problems.

Performance reviews lend to a gender- or personality-bias when it comes to promotions. Women and/or introverts often get the short end of the stick unless they have a great/shark managers. I've seen the most ineffective game-players get promoted over competent and effective peers who seemed to get punished for actually getting things done and not wasting their energy dick-swinging or taking unnecessary travel. In effect, a lot of the people promoted do not make for the best leadership. Bad management.

Too many cooks in the kitchen with product or design, not enough project managers (or none at all).

Constant reorganization is exhausting and disorienting. Nobody knows what's going on. Deflates spirit and doesn't help progress.

Advice to Management

Pay attention. Don't just spend money on diversity & inclusion training — really implement some change in the culture.

Get organized. Lessen reorgs. Stop acquiring other companies before you can handle what you have.

You are not a tech company or a start up, just face it. Just be a better company, spend the money on hiring better engineers instead of on business people from failed start-ups who don't know how to work effectively in enterprise environments.

2. "Dedicated"

Former Employee - Lead Teller Operations Specialist/Banker in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Teller Operations Specialist/Banker in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Allowed me to develop more of my leadership skills

Cons

Job security which should have been a non issue turned out to be a huge problem in the end. The whole of San Antonio was laid off as a company.

3. "Great company"

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Great place to start and grow your technology career

Cons

Not sharing credit and/or stealing other team's work is a consequence of the company's continues usage of stale performance review process.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the performance review process. Practice radical candor, don't just talk about it.

4. "Excellent working experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Capital One as an intern

Pros

I worked as a Mobile Development intern. Culture was very welcoming and my team was receptive to my questions and helping me learn skills throughout the summer.

Cons

A bit too much red tape.

5. "Unit Manager"

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working with customers, great work/life balance and fun atmosphere

Cons

Call Center work can be burdensome

6. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Operations in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Operations in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities and good benefits

Cons

As the company grows, there was also lots of change

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and see it though.

7. "Cap1 - Quant"

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, good work life balance

Cons

Odd promotion criteria, not performance based

8. "Apply for part time teller position"

Current Employee - Part-Time Teller (Hopefully! Still Waiting!) in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Capital One part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on my tuition offered through my University. Capital One has tuition reimbursement benefits. I can start at an entry level position and work my way up as I further my education. Several branches nationwide allow me to relocate when I decide to. Benefits for part-time positions as well as full-time. Capital One was voted one of the best places to work.

Cons

Hourly pay is not that great starting out, but the other benefits outweigh the cons. A part-time position will be great while I finish school.

Advice to Management

I've been going crazy waiting for an interview. It's been nearly four weeks since I applied for the first position. It would just be nice if I can actually speak to a real person at some point through the hiring process, rather just getting automated emails. But I do understand when there are a lot of people applying, it is difficult to make time to reach out on a more personal level.

9. "Great company to work for !"

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Can't think of any cons at this time

10. "Relationship Banker"

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Capital One Products i have to say it, it s pretty good to regular customer.

Cons

A little bit too pusher when it comes to sales.

Advice to Management

Focus on human banking instead of sales. and add more value to the staff.

Showing 1,746 of 4,951 reviews