Capital One Employee Reviews about "capital one"
74% would recommend to a friend
(487 total reviews)
Richard D. Fairbank
85% approve of CEO
Found 487 of over 16K reviews
Updated Dec 6, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The benefits were great and the company seemed to care a bit about one's future." (in 1969 reviews)
- "Great Work life balance and they really cared about creating a positive experience for interns." (in 1365 reviews)
- "• Great people (the ones who aren't looking to simply climb the ladder)" (in 1051 reviews)
- "Great culture and learning enviornment with some of the best managers I have worked with." (in 906 reviews)
- "Good pay (not great)" (in 769 reviews)
- "Was illegally denied overtime pay due to a combination of company policy and poor management." (in 532 reviews)
- "Some of my friends were not as lucky as I and were under some bad managers." (in 452 reviews)
- "Old old infrastructure and talent and performance management is bad" (in 296 reviews)
- "Senior leadership at the company is beyond spineless and completely out of touch with employees." (in 164 reviews)
- "Frequent Layoff and Reorganization." (in 155 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Capital One and is not affected by filters.
Reviews about "capital one"Return to all Reviews
- 5.0Aug 25, 2023Data EngineerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsDallas, TX
Innovative Culture: Capital One is often considered more of a technology company than a traditional bank. They invest heavily in digital products and solutions and often encourage innovative thinking. Training and Development: The company offers various training programs, mentorship opportunities, and other resources for employees to grow and develop in their roles. Benefits and Compensation: Capital One typically offers competitive salaries, health benefits, and retirement plans. They also provide additional perks like on-site gyms, cafeterias, and health centers in some locations. Diversity and Inclusion: Capital One has been recognized for its commitment to diversity and inclusion. They have various internal groups and programs aimed at supporting underrepresented communities. Work-Life Balance: Many employees appreciate the balance they can maintain between their professional and personal lives, especially with remote work opportunities and flexible scheduling.
Size and Bureaucracy: Due to its size, some employees have reported that it can sometimes feel bureaucratic, with a lot of red tape to get things done. Competitiveness: As with many large financial institutions, the environment can be competitive, which might not suit everyone. Some roles may have high pressure and stress associated with targets and deadlines. Constant Change: The focus on innovation and staying ahead in the tech-banking space means that teams and projects might pivot frequently. This can be challenging for those who prefer a more stable and predictable work environment. Customer Complaints: Working in customer-facing roles, especially in areas like credit card services, might expose employees to unhappy or frustrated customers, which can be mentally taxing. Potential for Layoffs: Like many large companies, Capital One may occasionally go through restructurings or shifts in business strategy that result in layoffs.
- 4.0Nov 13, 2022Process ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsMcLean, VA
Strategic CEO who understands who is super motivated to make Capital One a technology focused bank.
Performance reviews sometimes can be very unfair. We all hate it.1
- 4.0May 31, 2021Universal BankerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearBowie, MD
I liked working for capital one bank and it was a very good to work with great benefits.
I had a bad manager that pick on everyone in the branch, nothing would make her happy
- 4.0Nov 28, 2015Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
Capital One is a dynamic company that offers lots of opportunities for associates to grow and develop. Capital One does a good job of communicating strategy & changes throughout the organization
Being a dynamic company there is constant change – which brings both opportunity and frequent re-organizations, which can be frustrating for associates.
- 5.0Sep 23, 2015DirectorCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearReston, VA
Working with a lot of smart and skilled people (Capital One is known for hiring absolutely best people). A very fact-based decision making culture. Promotes competencies and values like collaboration, regarding others with positive intent, results-driven mindset, being intellectually bold and empowering employees to pursue their ideas.
Very selective in hiring process. A dynamic company culture permeates constant change.
- 3.0Nov 13, 2016Senior ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearPlano, TX
Capital One is a large and growing financial company that casts itself as a technology company. If you work in IT which Capital One calls Shared Technology this is a very good thin as the company invests generously in the latest technology. Also, the level of engineering talent is very good, much better than some other companies I have worked for. The pay and benefits are also above average. The Plano campus where I work is beautiful and has a number of really nice amenities ( covered parking, bikes, gym, sports fields ). The food served at the cafe's is really good.
The annual review process is overly complex and burdensome. I have worked at other companies where managers were given much more autonomy in the review process. Work/Life balance is non-existent in my group. My manager agrees but there is not much he can do as more work keeps coming. Recently, there was a realignment and people where laid off based on location.
- 5.0Jun 20, 2016Relationship BankerCurrent Employee, more than 3 years
Capital one is big on career development and making sure the employees achieve their career goals
potential digital banking changes that are coming
- 4.0Mar 31, 2017Recruitment CoordinatorCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearLondon, England
Supportive team who genuinely really want Capital One to succeed and grow and achieve its Mission. Everyone seems to care not only about the company's success but also about new employees and ensuring they are settled. I can assume that they also care about colleagues who are truly settled into the business as there are many who have remained with the company since they joined as a Grad (equating to 10+ years).
The London office isn't as amazing as the Nottingham office - but that's set to change in the summer.
- 5.0Jun 27, 2021Senior Risk AssociateCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsPlano, TX
Capital one has a great culture and leaders are held accountable to treat their people right.
I cannot think of any cons.
- 4.0Jan 20, 2016Senior Operations Production CoordinatorCurrent EmployeeSeattle, WA
Capital One has good overall benefits with a nice 401(k) plan and stock purchase plan. It's a well known company who maintains a fun culture throughout all divisions.
The pay is overall not too strong and some divisions through the company can seem to have less opportunities then say, the credit card division.