Capital Reporting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Good place to start your professional career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Most of the staff is very willing to help you when you first start. It's a young company, so a lot of the staff started from the bottom and worked their way up within the company. If you put your time in and prove to be a hard worker you will be given the option to try different positions within the company in order to keep you on board. It's rare to find this in a company. Very loyal!
    This is a great place to get your foot in the door right after college and gain some professional experience.

Cons

- Only get 30 minute lunch (not a terrible con, but worth noting)
    - Since it is a small company many of the "low level" tasks will never be taken off your plate.

"Churn and burn"

Former Employee - Assistant Ops Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Ops Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office location is easy to get to from DuPont metro.

Cons

Understaffed, long hours and little room for advancement. Good for a recent college grad to get a little experience but not a long term destination.

Advice to Management

Need to manage the workload of your employees or they're going to continue to leave. Burnout comes in a hurry here.

"You can have them, Veritext!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Capital Reporting (More than a year)

Pros

Laid-back environment for the most part. Getting rid of Jill was the best decision this company ever made. Wayne was funny and encouraging, although in the end it was all fluff.

Cons

Some of the most mis-guided leadership you will ever see in a company. Totally disjointed and office morale was the worst I've seen in my 10 years experience.

Advice to Management

Good riddance!

4. "Great to be part of a successful company!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capital Reporting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Capital is a growing company. Everyone wears many hats! Great mentoring by upper management! Many opportunities for growth!

Cons

If you aren't a team player, this isn't the place for you. As mentioned above, everyone wears many hats which gives you a fantastic opportunity to learn and grow.

Advice to Management

Keep up the mentoring! Great leadership!

5. "Great place to start out in DC"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capital Reporting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Capital was a great place to start out in DC as a recent college grad. Over the course of my time there, I was given lots of opportunities to try out different positions to see what suited me. I met with the CEO monthly to talk about my goals (both inside and outside the company) and my progress. Transparency is really important, and upper management strives to really get to know their employees. The community is tight knit. Overall it was an ideal first job for me in the district - a great place to get a lot of one on one time with executives and figure out your skills.

Cons

The schedule can be challenging - if you consider yourself a low-energy person, this is probably not the company for you.

6. "Great place to start a career and learn"

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capital Reporting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a high-intensity environment with an exceedingly valuable learning curve. I've worked here for over a year now, and I've learned so much from sales to client service to the general operational requirements of doing a good job as part of a small business team. Capital Reporting Company is led by a team of serial entrepreneurs, and that culture of sink or swim has absolutely yielded a strong team of A players that I enjoy spending my time with and learning from.

I also really like the people here. It's a cordial environment, and I find myself getting a lot done. Again, it's a demanding environment, but it helps a lot to like the people you work with.

Cons

The only downside to working here is that if you aren't a team player and willing to do what it takes to get the job done - no excuses - you might not like it here. This is a demanding environment best only for people that demand much of themselves (and can laugh a little along the way).

Advice to Management

I'd say hit the brakes once in awhile, but it's hard to criticize the growth and opportunities created for people fairly young in their career...so...I won't say it.

7. "Great Experience for Me!"

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great learning experience. Lots of "coaching" and "mentoring" which is unusual. Great face time with upper level management and owners when needed. I moved away from the DC area, but was happier there than in my current job. Still in contact with CEO.

Cons

Sometimes stressful environment. Lawyers and paralegals can be tough to service.

Advice to Management

Maybe more out of work get togethers.

"A Culture Focused on Dishonesty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are new to DC this is a company where you will meet lots of young people. The company workforce is very young and because of the long hours that everyone puts in, you will quickly bond with your colleagues and sometimes even establish long-term friendships.

Cons

I just recently learned about Glassdoor and was intrigued by the services Glassdoor offers. As a big fan of sites where people can post their honest reviews and insight for the benefit of others, I was thrilled to learn that there was a site for helping professionals find the right company. As we all know, the interview process can be stressful and frightening, and even once someone accepts a job offer, we are still filled with doubt over whether or not the position and company was portrayed accurately throughout the interview process and whether or not we made the right decision.

That said, after going over the reviews posted for Capital, I was not surprised to see that a common theme found within the negative reviews was that everyone spoke about how Capital goes above and beyond to cover up poor publicity on public forums by either posting fake reviews written by management or instructing current employees to post a review (after being checked by management). This was a common practice with Google reviews as well as Glassdoor reviews.

I can speak for the majority here that morality, strong ethics, and honesty are values that most professionals seek in their future employer. And with the wealth of information that is available to everyone with the click of a button, an employer such as Capital should spend more time trying to fix the issues that employees are dissatisfied with rather then trying to outnumber the negative reviews found on public forums in order to try to save their image.

It is disappointing to me that there are people who take advantage of these great public forums that are designed to help the masses efficiently share honest information and insight and instead use them as a tool to deceit.

Advice to Management

Be receptive to these reviews. Every employer has the potential to improve.

9. "Great place to start your career in sales and work hands on with a successful team!"

Former Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time

Pros

I worked at CRC for about a year and a half. I worked in business development. For someone with very little sales experience- it is a great way to work with some successful salespeople and learn hands on what works in this industry. You really have no limit to what you can earn and and what you make of your time here- you can sit around and make peanuts or really develop your rolodex and be on meetings and assisting in important court cases. For sales- the skills are transferable so if you are looking to get started, I highly recommend it. Although- there are some older sales members who have really made a career at CRC too! There is minimal 'hand-holding' in sales- for me and others this was great- we were able to draft our own sales emails, and really market ourselves and CRC as if it was our own little business. It is also great to see how a small business works- and you are able to wear several different hats. We all made suggestions to management for sales tools that they then invested in. You definitely have a voice here. There are also committee's so even for someone who is working in sales, or operations, you can see how the company develops its marketing decisions for example. Like others said, it is also a very cool old townhouse near Dupont in DC- its easy to get to by the red, orange and blue line. I was paid quite fairly here as well. Sales staff makes commission in addition to salary and from what I know of other salespeople in DC, its really market rate for the area. Again- commission will vary on your performance and I know myself and my colleagues have had very lucrative periods when you develop a relationship with a good firm. Also- two casual days a week!

Cons

If you need strict direction in sales-there is not as much of that at Capital- like I said, there is not a lot of hand holding; however, help and advice is always available to you if you ask for it... there is a great open door policy to get advice and training to better yourself, and continual education and growth is encouraged.

It is a small company- and I know some people do not like having to help in other areas outside their job description. If you are not a team player- you may not fit in here. We all pitch in to clean up the front, prepare for emergencies, and help one another out when we are swamped (such as sales picking up the phones when the operations team is in an all hands meeting). I like this aspect of small business, so it was a pro for me, but some people may consider this a con in their job hunt.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It was a great place to grow and learn and I had a great time there with some awesome co-workers and managers... had I wanted to stay in sales, I would probably still be there!

"Consider yourself warned"

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people - most people outside of management are young, ambitious, and fun to work with

-Career opportunities - most people that can bare working here for 1-2 years are awarded favorable positions at different companies - you can make your experience look good on your resume

Cons

-Ethics - I would bet my bottom dollar that the positive reviews before this one were directed by management. During my tenure, employees were asked to write positive reviews of the company online. Management likely discovered the first two negative reviews, and acted swiftly to cover up poor publicity

-Work environment - employees are scrupulously micro-managed, harassed, and scapegoated by management

-Nature of the work - the work is not intellectually stimulating. The entire company's operation is basically administrative work, there are virtually no opportunities to implement strategy, analysis, or higher order thinking. All employees (besides management) are also asked to pick up trash outside the building, including dead rodents, according to a rotational schedule

-Low salary - Entry level employees are typically paid salaries in the high 30Ks - what I would call minimum wage for college educated professionals. Furthermore, the standard daily hours for all employees are 8am - 5:30pm with a half an hour lunch break (no exceptions!). There is absolutely no flexibility in the workday and very little vacation time. Have a doctors appt? That will cost you two hours of vacation

-Contractual agreements - employees are typically not awarded raises unless they sign legally binding one year contracts that require you to give 60-90 days notice before leaving the company