Capital Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 112 reviews

2.5
Capital Senior Living CEO Lawrence A. Cohen
Lawrence A. Cohen
Pros
  • "Caring for the residents and getting to know them(in 3 reviews)

• "All the help and love the residents give is one of the best things you can ever experience because yet they feel bad they try and make you feel better(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay is low and there are no paid holidays(in 7 reviews)

• "Can't think of anything specific to CSL(in 5 reviews)

1. "Highly Reccommend"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Capital Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CSL Home Office is extremely personable and supportive. I feel like I have the tools and resources necessary to provide the residents and the staff with opportunities to be successful. I have never worked somewhere where I truly enjoyed every day - for better or for worse. I couldn't be happier with my team of coworkers. All are really special people. Rent rates and staff pay rates are comparable to our competitors... in the area.

Cons

Can't think of anything specific to CSL. Long term care work in general can be stressful, but also really rewarding if you are dedicated.

Advice to Management

We have a new CEO at CSL, so they should update their page with her information as Larry Cohen retired.

Capital Senior Living2019-03-12
  2. "never"

Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nothing they won't help you go somewhere else

Cons

everything run far and run fast

Advice to Management

get new jobs

Capital Senior Living2019-09-19

"Executive Chef"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Can’t think of any advantages to working for Capital

Cons

Capital Senior Living is by far one of the worst companies to work for. They claim to have this caring mentality for the residents and staff, but all they care about is pleasing the shareholders. Every call conference, webinar, and email is about how to improve on the bottom line. I realize they are running a business, but they won’t invest anything into their properties to improve the lives of the people they claim... to care about. Their Executives are fake, and their District Managers are either overworked, or too cocky and arrogant to work with people. They demand bids on anything that costs over $300, and then take their time to approve the cost, no matter the urgency. Constantly demanding cost cutting, with no recommendations on how to do so. Nobody answers when you have technical issues for days, leaving the office managers up in the air waiting for answers, sometimes weeks on end. Not to mention, “urgent” emails that come out with a week left in the month demanding budget cuts, with no time left to do so. They take their time addressing your issues, but insist on urgency when corporate has one. They allow for no company Christmas party where you used to be allowed to receive a bonus that all the residents would contribute to, but they took that away. If you work for this company all you will hear on a daily basis is talk about the NYSE, which they are constantly losing money on, or some so called emergency just to make some person sitting in Dallas feel important that you read their memo. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen to to a building that is owned by these fake, money hungry narcissists, is to get bought by someone who actually practices what they preach.

Advice to Management

Try knowing the jobs of people you insist on controlling. Hear their concerns. Also, just because you’re an Executive, doesn’t mean only your opinion matters

Capital Senior Living2019-09-10
  4. "Residents deserve better food and place needs new boss"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Williamsville, NY

I worked at Capital Senior Living part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The residents are super nice and it makes me sad that the boss doesn't care about their food

Cons

The food used to be good a few years ago when I started working there but not now. I left working there because no one listens to the residents, they lost all the good staff and the food is bad. The residents deserve better food and a better boss running this place.

Capital Senior Living2019-07-29
  5. "ok company"

Former Employee - Internal

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

ok people to work for.

Cons

compensation is ok. large workload.

Capital Senior Living2019-07-26
  6. "Going down hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The residents are wonderful!

Cons

* not great pay * not enough employees to do what needs to be done/ CSL expectations are too high

Advice to Management

Start having exit interviews to see what is going on at your properties and why key staff is leaving. CSL is making it close to impossible to run things with all the cut backs and changes that are being implemented. It is very clear that the people making decisions are certainly not hands on with the residents or employees. It is like they do not care about them or the people who are working so hard to make them... happy!

Capital Senior Living2019-05-29
  7. "No HR department! Corporate environment only care about avoiding lawsuits& revenue. Wages low, dangerously understaffed"

Former Employee - Nursing Director in Omaha, NE

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hard to get fired. First-verbal 2. written3.final written 4. Suspension 5. Termination. Free lunch. Generous Xmas party . Staff included in resident activities.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid and understaffed. Residents that live there pay well over six thousand a month for a one bedroom and are fed food that you would not give to your own dog

Advice to Management

If you want your company to make more money then increase your front-line employees wages. more staff means better care for the residents = more revenue.

Capital Senior Living2019-04-19
  8. "Management Does NOT Care About Residents AT ALL"

Former Employee - Nursing in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Absolutely none. There are ZERO pros to working at this facility.

Cons

Upper management does not care about employees at all! Talk down to and treat the residents absolutely terrible. The sanitation there is disgusting might as well be a state nursing home. Working in the nursing dept myself I saw SEVERAL unnecessary resident accidents. Management is completely a pushover when it comes to hiring competent employees that actually care about resident care. Often times I would actually... see the upper management staff be VERY demeaning towards totally competent residents. I would often see residents crying on a daily basis because they felt so mistreated. It was honestly a hell hole and I truly feel it should be shut down. I actually saw two residents die while I was there due to plain mistreatment and their causes of death were very obvious but of course played off to family members. Often times falls would go completely unreported and residents would be left in their urine and feces constantly. Sometimes residents would not get a shower for 5 days or more depending on "how easy they were". Completely unacceptable. The residents that had money were the ones that were treated better and the staff honestly would groom some of the family members and be completely rude and very openly disrespectful to others. The pay was VERY VERY low. I feel so bad for the residents still there.

Advice to Management

Shut it down.

Capital Senior Living2019-05-07
  9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in McKinney, TX

I worked at Capital Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

Love working here and the residents are extremely loving.

Cons

You end up getting close to the residents then they pass away.

Capital Senior Living2019-02-19
  10. "Truly Care & Family Oriented"

Former Employee - Staff Nurse

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I feel like upper management truly cared about me and the residents.

Cons

Coworkers do not always follow thru with assigned task and new policies.

Capital Senior Living2019-02-11