Capitol Office Solutions Reviews in Columbia, MD | Glassdoor

Reed Hagmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Highly recommended"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place is great. I was there for a very short time but in hindsight, it felt like I was there much longer. The people are second to none, by far the most diffcult part about leaving. Professionalism is top notch and the willingness to teach and mentor is amazing at this company. The CFO and president are willing to take time to teach you things. The CFO and I booked an hour and he pretty much gave me an accounting 101 course, name another company that will do that! Benefits are amazing, and the 401k is probably better than what the federal government offers. This place offers so much training and assistance, I don't know how some people don't make it. If you're fresh into your career, this place would be amazing to start at. You'll learn everything about tailoring conversations, how businesses operate, and literally be given anything you want to help your career. COS also has the Xerox name behind them and in this industry that helps out a lot. This place offers so much for employees it is incredible.

Something I still think about is how Reed, the president went on a meeting with a newer rep to close a 8k deal. I think if anyone else was president, they would be "too busy" but he knows the invest he puts into people will pay off. The fact he was willing to go help close a deal the company probably wouldn't even benefit from impresses me. He knows, if he invests in people things will go well and they have been.

Cons

The industry is not sexy. Admittedly, this industry will never go anywhere but I would crindge saying my company sells copiers and printers. Also, the coffee could be better.

Advice to Management

Get a Keurig

2. "Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture. The MD office is full of really good people and have been very supportive since I've joined the team.

Cons

There is a lot of prospecting and cold calling needed to be successful. There's pressure to hit your numbers weekly.

Advice to Management

Management team has been really good to work with. President, VP of Sales, Trainers, and manager are willing to help you with anything you ask. Very glad I joined Capitol.

3. "COS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

there were nice people in the training class

Cons

upper management played favorites

Advice to Management

manage

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong management team and great corporate culture. Employees are offered a career path with an organization that treats them like family with a vested interest in their success.

Cons

There is a perception that favorites are sometimes played here, both in management and among reps. Overall, though, hard work is equally recognized and celebrated.

5. "Highly recommend COS as a great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and people. Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

none that I have come across so far

6. "Great place to work.."

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

COS is a great company.

Cons

There isn't much I don't like about COS

7. "COS"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products and people made it an enjoyable place to work

Cons

Turmoil in upper management at that time. 3 VP's of sales in less than 24 months

"COS is a GREAT place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and the culture are awesome and make it a great place to work everyday. The company is rapidly growing and has a very strong career path with a ton of internal promotions. The sales side is work hard play hard with lots of incentives when you achieve your goals. You have an opportunity to work with great people, have fun and make great money.

Cons

This is a fast paced environment with a lot of prospecting so if you are scared of hard work this is not the place for you.

"Worst company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

Great co-workers, good benefits, fun holiday party.

Cons

Unprofessional, and unethical behavior. HR is not there for employees but to cover managers backs. HR willingly ignores unprofessional behaviors such as inappropriate relationships among management. They call donations to companies causes of goodwill but in reality it is so they can win the bids over competitors. Management is awful, they have a lot of closed door meetings. When you try to point out things that could be changed that would be in the companies best interest, they tell you to stop being so negative. Management doesn't know what their employees do. They assume that if you are talking that you are not working, so you have to be quiet and in your cube all day. They don't support social atmosphere. They don't like to hire within. CEO loves Sales department but ignores everyone else. Management is on a huge power trip. My manager did not like to answer questions and made you feel bad about asking questions. Would often ignore you if you were standing at her door. People get talked to for being too out going. Employees have been written up over small things as a way to get employees to comply. They do not allow you to be late without a stern talking to. They do not train new employees well at all in the admin department. Double standards all the time from management, an example of dress code. Manager would wear shirts you could see her bra through, but then would write up employees for wearing a shirt that was a little low cut. Manager used fowl language in meetings. Manager would talk about past employees in meetings of things they did wrong. The day after a blizzard they still made everyone come in even though they had more than half of their employees called out. They tell you all the time that you can be replaced. They threaten you into compliance by saying, "Well if your not happy hear, then find another job." They hire supervisors to be their spies and if they hear anything they don't like they go and tell on you. At company functions onsite they have alcohol with no license. They don't give awards to staff that have been there for so long even though they are so valued as co-workers.

Advice to Management

Start caring more about employees. Taking time off that you have earned is not illegal. Sales is not the only department that matters. Having so many closed door meetings makes your employees feel that you are talking about them. Be family friendly. Get rid of some of your managers. Hire from within. You are burning a lot of bridges by choosing outside candidates over internal employees. Be more flexible with hours worked.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, Opportunity for Advancement, Co workers, Company is Continuing to Grow

Cons

Company focus is Sales, Sales reps get all the recognition.