Capitol Office Solutions Reviews in Columbia, MD | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Capitol Office Solutions President Reed Hagmann
Reed Hagmann

"Something Special at COS"

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

There are many pros to working at COS- the aggressive commission structure, the benefits, the parties, the raffles, the positive work environment, the spontaneous days off, the transparency between management and workers, the trips, the work life balance, and there truly is a lot more to write about.

Cons

The cons at COS are very limited. One of them being that the hiring process is very selective, but I believe that is probably contributing to why the people are so great here.

Advice to Management

The proof is in the numbers. You have managed to achieve plan the last two years. Keep it up, and you will always have a good staff to support you.

2. "COS"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products and people made it an enjoyable place to work

Cons

Turmoil in upper management at that time. 3 VP's of sales in less than 24 months

3. "Account executive"

Current Employee - Major Accounts Sales Representative in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Major Accounts Sales Representative in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

The talent and people are truly world class. The Company provided Car allowance, cell phone, iPads, and great 401k program are also added perks I can't complain about.

Cons

High stress environment very little support when equipment does out to clients and blame is easily placed on rep. Some territories are obviously better than others allowing for quicker revenue generation. It's the copier industry it's tough and not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Billing support and training staff need to work with sales reps cohesively.

"COS is a GREAT place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and the culture are awesome and make it a great place to work everyday. The company is rapidly growing and has a very strong career path with a ton of internal promotions. The sales side is work hard play hard with lots of incentives when you achieve your goals. You have an opportunity to work with great people, have fun and make great money.

Cons

This is a fast paced environment with a lot of prospecting so if you are scared of hard work this is not the place for you.

"Worst company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

Great co-workers, good benefits, fun holiday party.

Cons

Unprofessional, and unethical behavior. HR is not there for employees but to cover managers backs. HR willingly ignores unprofessional behaviors such as inappropriate relationships among management. They call donations to companies causes of goodwill but in reality it is so they can win the bids over competitors. Management is awful, they have a lot of closed door meetings. When you try to point out things that could be changed that would be in the companies best interest, they tell you to stop being so negative. Management doesn't know what their employees do. They assume that if you are talking that you are not working, so you have to be quiet and in your cube all day. They don't support social atmosphere. They don't like to hire within. CEO loves Sales department but ignores everyone else. Management is on a huge power trip. My manager did not like to answer questions and made you feel bad about asking questions. Would often ignore you if you were standing at her door. People get talked to for being too out going. Employees have been written up over small things as a way to get employees to comply. They do not allow you to be late without a stern talking to. They do not train new employees well at all in the admin department. Double standards all the time from management, an example of dress code. Manager would wear shirts you could see her bra through, but then would write up employees for wearing a shirt that was a little low cut. Manager used fowl language in meetings. Manager would talk about past employees in meetings of things they did wrong. The day after a blizzard they still made everyone come in even though they had more than half of their employees called out. They tell you all the time that you can be replaced. They threaten you into compliance by saying, "Well if your not happy hear, then find another job." They hire supervisors to be their spies and if they hear anything they don't like they go and tell on you. At company functions onsite they have alcohol with no license. They don't give awards to staff that have been there for so long even though they are so valued as co-workers.

Advice to Management

Start caring more about employees. Taking time off that you have earned is not illegal. Sales is not the only department that matters. Having so many closed door meetings makes your employees feel that you are talking about them. Be family friendly. Get rid of some of your managers. Hire from within. You are burning a lot of bridges by choosing outside candidates over internal employees. Be more flexible with hours worked.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, Opportunity for Advancement, Co workers, Company is Continuing to Grow

Cons

Company focus is Sales, Sales reps get all the recognition.

"Amazing Experience, Great Team, Great Service"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Throughout my entire interview process I felt welcomed. I was able to get a great understanding of what the company offers and the growth potential. When it came time for me to accept the position I had no hesitation. I am very excited to be a part of this team!

Cons

I didn't notice anything that would be considered a con.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Excellent upper level management"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

President, sales manager, good team environment

Cons

must be willing to make tons of cold calls

10. "Great Place to Work, Lots of opportunity!!"

Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great product, career advancement, work hard & play hard, fantastic people, cares about employees development. Promotes from within frequently.

Cons

Work hard but the rewards are great!

Advice to Management

Communication is key, keep it up!

11. "COS . . . A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership believes strongly in people development. They will take a chance on good performers who demonstrate results and commitment and give them additional responsibilities to grow their careers. It is a very supportive environment and everyone is invested in helping newer employees be successful. The company has great products and are committed to providing top-notch service to our customers. Our best asset is our people and we believe in recognizing them.

Cons

Everyone has a lot of work to do so there is no room for slackers.

Advice to Management

Focus on teaching, coaching, motivating, developing and recognizing your employees.