Capitol Office Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 21 Aug 2019

4.1
Capitol Office Solutions CEO Reed Hagmann
Reed Hagmann
Pros
  • "COS is a great place to be for development, growth and a successful career path(in 11 reviews)

• "We definitely believe in the work hard-play hard philosophy(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sales and upper management are the only people who get the fun perks (trips, happy hours, prizes)(in 3 reviews)

• "There isn't much I don't like about COS(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Sales in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clear path for account executives to be promoted to different roles, such as major account sales or a management/leadership role. Management was always very hands on and supportive. Reps are allowed to take their business and run with it, which is very empowering. There are a ton of incentives and trips to qualify for which makes the job very rewarding. Admin, operations, and leasing are all very strong.

Cons

This industry is not for everyone. If you are not willing to work your tail off each and every day you will have some challenges.

Capitol Office Solutions2019-07-15
  2. "Decent first job in sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Decent first job if you’re just getting into outside sales

Cons

Management plays favoritism and you never really know what’s going on with the company

Capitol Office Solutions2019-08-21
  3. "Stressful with no room for growth"

Current Employee - Administrative in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, decent pay, fast paced business

Cons

No room for growth or promotional opportunities (outside of sales). Sales management is very sloppy and has extremely low expectations and standards of the work done by themselves and by sales reps. Being shady is a promoted practice, it may not be taught, but it is definitely (and obviously) not discouraged. The entire admin, operations, service, and warehouse teams are constantly understaffed and overworked - that... does not mean more pay either, and bonuses are not always paid even if sales have constant bonus opportunities outside of their regular commission. Existing customers receive little priority from sales and there is almost no proactive customer relation or customer advocacy process. Sales and upper management are the only people who get the fun perks (trips, happy hours, prizes).

Advice to Management

Raise your expectations. Stop promoting people who have low moral grounds, poor customer service skills, do not know how to manage, can't keep track of their reps' buiness, and are too scared/lazy to deal with customer concerns. Make it a point to educate reps on good customer service practices like being honest and open instead of being deceiving and hiding/omitting costs on a regular basis. Make customer service... and retention a priority instead of leaving it on the back burner. Reward the employees who do their work correctly. Stop pitting sales and the rest of the staff against each other by establishing firm expectations and requiring honest business practices.”

Capitol Office Solutions2019-03-02

"True review"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Company is fast paced and doing well. Glad to be a part of the Capitol team. Management stays involved and helps you be successful.

Cons

Pressure every day to perform, it can be stressful if you're not hitting your numbers on a quarterly basis. But there is an opportunity to have a career path if you hit your numbers and you're promoted from within.

Advice to Management

Thank you for rolling up your sleeves and getting involved.

Capitol Office Solutions2018-05-26

"Don't forget"

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

The people are very nice. The industry is face paced and it's never boring.

Cons

Focus is only on sale's happiness and never on support departments. Often take advantage of support staff to make up for the lack of accountability within sales.

Advice to Management

Yes, sales is critical to the success of the business but so is the support departments. Get to know them more, show interest in what they are working on, walk up and down the aisle and say good morning and ask how they are genuinely doing, don't forget or take them for granted. Give them opportunities to win prizes, go on day trips, hold department gatherings or have a leadership program that isn't specific to... sales. This is a good company but mural needs to improve.

Capitol Office Solutions2018-06-07

"Check out the social media"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Seriously, look at their social media. They give out trips, TVs, fitbits, cash, tickets to preakness (front row tickets) and they do huge parties, happy hours, all the fun stuff at the expense of the company. It's unreal and it actually kind of spoils you.

Cons

Sales can be tough but I still find myself reminiscing about my short stint there

Advice to Management

Reed, you're awesome. Dan, you're hilarious. Tina, you're hot

Capitol Office Solutions2018-04-26

"Capitol Office Solutions"

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Capitol truly cares about their employees and success. It is truly a work hard, play hard environment with a LOT of incentives and various ways to earn additional money. The culture is very positive and team focused. COS is a great place to be for development, growth and a successful career path.

Cons

Sales flexibility - expectation to be in before 8am and in the office at 5pm.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - hiring top talent, coaching and developing your team and taking a genuine interest in their success.

Capitol Office Solutions2018-04-04

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Vienna, VA

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent leadership, lots of opportunity to grow, very big on moral values, great work/life balance, great coworkers and staff. Everyone here wants to do a great job, and helps you to be the best you can be. I was full-time in sales, and loved it. My direct manager, Jon, was an amazing coach and very well accomplished in his career. The VP, Kevin, was so fantastic at everything he was part of, and really helped in... any way that he could. The president, Reed, is shockingly hands on! You'd think that the president of the company would be too busy to help a sales rep with lower-level tasks, but Reed will help you every step of the way, and is an unbelievable role model and a fantastic leader. I cannot say enough about how happy I was to work there. I left for personal issues, but it was a very hard decision, but in no way did I leave for anything COS-related. I will miss every person there dearly, and anyone who is given a chance to work there should be grateful for the opportunity.

Cons

Base pay on the lower end, but manageable. It's a tough industry, but it makes the challenge and the chase that much more fun!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Capitol Office Solutions2018-02-02

"Great place to work!"

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Great structure and room for growth!

Cons

Car allowance needs to be adjusted.

Capitol Office Solutions2018-02-07

"Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, culture, incentives, benefits, balance, and career path. Really glad to be part of Capitol, aggressive company and management team.

Cons

First 8-12 months are difficult, need to put in extra hours to be successful. Must be willing to cold call for the first few years, then business takes care of itself.

Advice to Management

None, management is really good

Capitol Office Solutions2017-12-13