KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated Feb 5, 2021

3.9
Capitol Office Solutions President Reed Hagmann
Reed Hagmann
Pros
  • "COS is a great place to be for development, growth and a successful career path(in 11 reviews)

• "We definitely believe in the work hard-play hard philosophy(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Sales and upper management are the only people who get the fun perks (trips, happy hours, prizes)(in 3 reviews)

• "There isn't much I don't like about COS(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great Company

Oct 5, 2020 - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of training, great young people to work with.

Cons

very competitive industry lots of rejection

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Be warned if your Female

Dec 30, 2020 - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Initial Training program from Xerox is great. - Driving Reimbursement - Administrative Staff -Technology Experts in Production

Cons

- Think Wolf of Wall Street for all the bad reason and you have this particular division of a great organization - A lot of unethical situations - They put on a good show for outsiders, but they promote an unhealthy internal environment and if you don't fit a specific mould don't even bother interviewing. - They spend more money on their turnover by training people and paying recruiter fees than actual coaching and maintaining employees. -Little growth area and low salaries for the area and amount of work they require from you/

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good Company

Feb 5, 2021 - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really great, extensive training program with amazing trainers. Relatively competitive salary offering and a good team atmosphere.

Cons

Cost of the product (Xerox Copiers) does not seem to be justified. Other copiers perform very similar functions for less money.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stressful with no room for growth

Mar 1, 2019 - Administrative in Columbia, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers, decent pay, fast paced business

Cons

No room for growth or promotional opportunities (outside of sales). Sales management is very sloppy and has extremely low expectations and standards of the work done by themselves and by sales reps. Being shady is a promoted practice, it may not be taught, but it is definitely (and obviously) not discouraged. The entire admin, operations, service, and warehouse teams are constantly understaffed and overworked - that does not mean more pay either, and bonuses are not always paid even if sales have constant bonus opportunities outside of their regular commission. Existing customers receive little priority from sales and there is almost no proactive customer relation or customer advocacy process. Sales and upper management are the only people who get the fun perks (trips, happy hours, prizes).

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work!

Jul 15, 2019 - Sales in Chantilly, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Clear path for account executives to be promoted to different roles, such as major account sales or a management/leadership role. Management was always very hands on and supportive. Reps are allowed to take their business and run with it, which is very empowering. There are a ton of incentives and trips to qualify for which makes the job very rewarding. Admin, operations, and leasing are all very strong.

Cons

This industry is not for everyone. If you are not willing to work your tail off each and every day you will have some challenges.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Decent first job in sales

Aug 21, 2019 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent first job if you’re just getting into outside sales

Cons

Management plays favoritism and you never really know what’s going on with the company

7. 5.0

Experienced Sales Executive Thriving at COS Xerox

Jan 11, 2015 - OUTSIDE SALES
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been in outside sales for many years. A friend encouraged me to visit the office and consider a sales position. Two years later I have utilized the tuition reimbursement to complete a masters degree, experienced an internal promotion, was accepted to the Leadership Development Program, won a trip to another country, won awards, and learned an array of new consulting skills. This is real outside sales, and you must be built to cold call, prospect, conduct assessments, manage complex projects, and go the extra mile. We do a lot of training, roll plays, videoed selling situations. We have L&D professionals who support our learning. We make calls together and go into the field in teams and solo. If you can overcome the massive quantities of rejection that all salespeople face, wear suit/tie every day, bring energy to every encounter, and verbalize the differentiators of one of the most recognized brands in the world, then you might thrive here. The company is growing. There is a focus on internal promotions.

Cons

Outside sales is hard in every industry, and this is no exception. You have to research and call huge quantities of companies to earn the meetings and assessments that lead to success. Weekends are free, and we don't have to spend time away from family (territories are local), but the best salespeople here frequently work late on weekdays and are vigilant about responding to email/voicemail regardless of day or time.

6 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Recruited straight out of college almost 5 years ago and was recently promoted to a brand new Management role.

Feb 19, 2016 - Mps Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you want to make a name for yourself, keep reading. Not to sound cliché but it's the people and their energy that work at COS that make it a special place. Passion from the top down penetrates everything that we do here. You become family at COS and we care about each other, which makes what we do day in and day out that much sweeter. This company promotes from within, we celebrate wins together, we invest in our team, we do fun things outside of the office together, and we supply our colleagues with the tools to be successful with an incredible Learning & Development team. Luck is not why COS is growing. It is the maniacal focus that we share and the hunger to go above and beyond to get a job done that is making COS expand into the behemoth that it is destined to be. If you are coachable and want to be groomed into a sales rock star- look no further than COS.

Cons

No cons. Management is on their A game and are proactive in clearing out the obstacles for the employees to be as successful as possible. If a con comes up- communicate that with a member of the Executive team and a resolution can usually be created.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Terrific company for a sales career!!

Nov 12, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

COS- Xerox is a fantastic place especially for college graduates looking for that first big break in their careers. I get to work with some of the most talented and ambitious sales professionals I've ever met. We have three beautiful offices (which includes an onsite gym and cafes), lots of fun company events & outings, and a family-oriented company culture. One of my favorite aspects of working here is the work-life balance. As long as you put in dedication and smart work, you WILL be rewarded and recognized! Our sales leadership has worked very hard in creating fantastic career opportunities & financial success company-wide. We definitely believe in the work hard-play hard philosophy! Some events COS hosts include happy hours, picnics, bowling, potlucks, birthdays, sports games, etc. During the holidays, COS hosts parties such Halloween contests and Christmas breakfast & lunches. Additionally, some charitable events they host include Toys for Tots, Food Drives, Food Kitchen, AND gift each employee a free turkey for Thanksgiving! The company will also be hosting a lavish Holiday party in January 2015 to kick off the new year!! And another perk about being a part of sales are the incentive trips, which include places like Las Vegas, Cancun, Miami, New Orleans, AND Greece, just to name a few! From the bottom of my heart, I genuinely recommend our organization to sales professionals out there in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area!!

Cons

Building can be cold sometime, coffee selection could use some improvement, and I wish there were healthier options for eateries around the Columbia office!

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

Feb 2, 2018 - Strategic Account Manager in Vienna, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent leadership, lots of opportunity to grow, very big on moral values, great work/life balance, great coworkers and staff. Everyone here wants to do a great job, and helps you to be the best you can be. I was full-time in sales, and loved it. My direct manager, Jon, was an amazing coach and very well accomplished in his career. The VP, Kevin, was so fantastic at everything he was part of, and really helped in any way that he could. The president, Reed, is shockingly hands on! You'd think that the president of the company would be too busy to help a sales rep with lower-level tasks, but Reed will help you every step of the way, and is an unbelievable role model and a fantastic leader. I cannot say enough about how happy I was to work there. I left for personal issues, but it was a very hard decision, but in no way did I leave for anything COS-related. I will miss every person there dearly, and anyone who is given a chance to work there should be grateful for the opportunity.

Cons

Base pay on the lower end, but manageable. It's a tough industry, but it makes the challenge and the chase that much more fun!

2 people found this review helpful