Capterra Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Michael Ortner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A very rewarding and results-driven environment"

I have been working at Capterra full-time

Pros

The company culture here is very strong! It's a very flexible schedule and they really value their employee satisfaction. If you put in the work they value your opinions and suggestions. Everyone is super-friendly and so helpful. The management is also very involved with all the subordinates which is atypical.

Cons

There are no offices or cubes so if you are not comfortable with an open space environment then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Although, we are now expanding I hope the management continues to be as involved as they have been so far! You guys truly built a phenomenal atmosphere.

2. "Still figuring it out"

I have been working at Capterra full-time

Pros

Motivated staff, willing to go above and beyond to get the job done. However, a lot of the staff is junior so there isn't a lot of experience/ideas coming in from other organizations which can make it a little less progressive than it could be.

Cons

People are working in their team bubble, without a cross communication with other teams and without a clear view of how they are contributing over all mission. Senior management knows this but aren't facilitating change or leading by example,

Advice to Management

Let go of the reigns a little. Give Management the tools and INFORMATION to do their jobs and then trust them to do so. Fresh ideas and a fresh set of eyes will help.

3. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best company cultures I have ever experienced. Everyone is kind and insanely helpful, and really wants to product the best work.

Cons

Some managers are only in their roles because of shifts after the Gartner inquisition. They were moved onto new projects without the proper experience in the field, simply because they had been at the company a long time. Senior team members can be more helpful than your manager due to this.

4. "No longer a "best place to work""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Most managers are excellent and good at listening to their employees' needs
    - You'll get to work with really smart people
    - Relaxed environment about vacation and working at home
    - Emphasis on where YOUR career is going
    - Great industry to be in right now

Cons

- Everything wrong with Capterra comes down to Gartner
    - Expect terrible bonuses and raises every year, regardless of performance. Poor performers get squat. Unless you're management, great performers get pennies.
    - Hiring takes months for no good reason
    - Company decisionmaking in the C-Suite is no longer communicated to employees
    - "Boys Club" mentality trickles down from Gartner into Capterra
    - Gartner execs do not take feedback well. Culture of blame and shame.

Advice to Management

Put up thicker walls between Gartner and Capterra before you lose all of Capterra's good people from pre-acquisition. This is going to be especially important after the CEO leaves.

"An uplifting culture!"

Current Employee - Software Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is great and I learn so much!

Cons

The location is a hard place to park at.

Advice to Management

None!

"Fulfilling job and talented staff"

I have been working at Capterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The vast majority of staff work very hard to contribute to their teams. I always feel challenged and there is a distinct entrepreneurial spirit that encourages employees to explore different projects and lines of business. The business side is very transparent and I trust my supervisor has my best interest at heart. The salary is fair and hard work is rewarded.

Cons

It's difficult to get to know other members of teams unless you work directly with them on a project. There are many demands and priorities that are placed on us from our parent company, and additional staff is needed to address those needs.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, quickly. Identify areas and projects that can be serviced by temporary staff if needed (data projects, reporting, etc.) and bring on short term staff for temp-to-hire positions.

"Questionable Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra (More than a year)

Pros

Capterra pays well and offers great competitive benefits. The office as a whole is friendly and has a "young, hip" vibe.

Cons

There's an overall lack of communication from the top down. Regardless of the reasoning (growing pains, navigating a new corporate structure, unwillingness to relay certain pieces of information, etc.), it makes management seem disorganized and unprofessional. There is also a lack of accountability for this resultant disorganization. The best outcome of this has been scapegoating "corporate," and the worst outcome has been harsh defensiveness with no willingness to address a particular issue.

I vacillate between genuinely enjoying my work and the results I produce and feeling extremely devalued as a worker and individual on a weekly basis. Operating between these extremes results in coming to work enthusiastic to share my thoughts and ideas for a project on one day and the next day feeling like turning in my two weeks notice because of a strange and uncomfortable interaction with management.

In all fairness, lack of communication seems to be a common thread in many "Cons" sections in many companies' reviews on Glassdoor. But as a company that so often touts itself as an organization that actually cares about its employees and is therefore a better place to work, this particular issue feels almost personal in its negative impact.

Advice to Management

- Communicate expectations to other managers/teams and direct employees
    - Accept responsibility for problems when management is at fault, or at the very least address employee concerns actively and sympathetically

8. "Great company made up of great people"

I have been working at Capterra full-time

Pros

- Everyone is nice and respectful to each other, even management.
    - Fun bonding events and plenty of snacks in the kitchen.
    - They listen to new ideas and encourage the growth of employees.

Cons

- None, really. I wish my salary was higher, but doesn't everyone? Capterra is honestly the best place I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

- Keep it up!

9. "Great employees, questionable leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Capterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to fall in love with the office space, employees, and benefits/perks. Plenty of outside the office activities to build team morale and camaraderie. Great company if you're fresh out of college, inexperienced, and looking to work in a fun town with young people, lots to do and close proximity to DC.

Cons

Lack of insight into career trajectory (no true promotion path or advancement plans), professional development or guidance. If you're looking at this company as a way to gain valuable experience or exposure, think hard before making the move or taking the job. Leadership does an amazing job of "selling" the culture, their support of the employees, and open collaboration, but if you disagree with an idea or approach, things change quickly. Be cautious.

Advice to Management

If you're going to meet as a leadership team to discuss thoughts on an employee, try doing so in a way that limits the chance of that employee overhearing you insult or speak lowly of them. Perhaps meet offsite or after business hours, but definitely do not meet in the office, during business hours while employees can easily overhear the discussion.

10. "An Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra (More than a year)

Pros

Capterra treats its employees like adults. It's an open office with lots of flexibility (schedule, dress code, vacation time), which allows people to focus on results instead. Awesome, driven coworkers who all are gunning for the company's success. Lots of face time with supervisor and management. Free snacks, standing desks, great company events and pretty great benefits.

It's been a cool experience to be a part of a company that has a startup feel and is growing so quickly.

Cons

Like any company that is growing very quickly, there are growing pains. The biggest of these I'd say are breakdowns in communication among teams. Because the company is growing so quickly, lots of time team members (and even team leads) are unaware of what other teams are doing. Each team sometimes feels like it's moving in its own direction.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly and often. Develop a unified strategy for the company, then break down what projects each team needs to work on to follow that strategy.