Car Toys Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel Brettler

Pros
  • Pay is good if you don't have any morales and don't care about your work - life balance (in 4 reviews)

• God possibility for pay, great benefits, fun environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Store Managers/Assistant Managers will only train when upper management reminds them to, otherwise they will only give advice (in 7 reviews)

• Family work life balance is hard (in 3 reviews)

1. "Install Manager"

Former Employee - Mobile Electronics Installer Shop Foreman in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Mobile Electronics Installer Shop Foreman in Portland, OR

I worked at Car Toys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun place to work and most all of the installers that I managed were great to work with.
    If you like to work on cars it is a good place to be. I also liked that we would hire entry level people at auto detailers and if they showed the interest to become installers we would train them.

Cons

Upper management had you do a lot of BS paperwork that wasted time and did nothing other than justified upper management’s existence. This wasted time and effort could have been used in a lot more productive way. I like to refer to some of the upper management but not all of them as talking heads that have no idea of what is going on in the trenches.

Advice to Management

Dan Brettler was actually a cool dude.

2. "Car Toys"

I worked at Car Toys full-time

Pros

base hourly pay plus commission.
    easy management
    given the ability to make as much money as possible

Cons

forced into pushing cell phones on customers

3. "A Horrible Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Car Toys (More than a year)

Pros

Commission pay, work in a fun environment

Cons

Not enough pay, apathetic managers, zero structure, unreasonable sales expectations, expected to work overtime but no overtime pay, managers expect you to do their job, company keeps lowering commission payouts, managers refuse to train you

Advice to Management

Train your employees

"CARTOYS.......Not Exactly A Better Way To Go."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like selling car audio; It's what I know, so naturally, I'm good at it. That is what makes this job fun and somewhat tolerable when you begin to consider the negatives. I enjoy helping people reach their goals, it's rewarding and it feels good to help people. I love the people I work with; I think we are a a great team and we battle impossible odds all the time. This is where the pros end for me.

Cons

From day one, I received inept management/training at best. I was put in front of computer and told to watch modules explaining how to do my job. I completed all of them with 100% scores and took notes. Despite this, it wasn't enough to teach me the things I needed to know to do my job effectively. I began to confront management about this as I wanted to be able to do the best job possible. I want to succeed at anything I set out to do; it's just my nature. I was told there were no further trainings I could be participant to. I explained I am a hands-on learner and need to go through the motions of the job to retain the knowledge I need to succeed. Every time I was met with a passive aggressive attitude and told to "figure it out".

Even through all of this, I kept getting promotions for the exceptional job I was doing for the company. (Only to be demoted later without a moment’s notice citing reasons for my lack of knowledge on subject matter that I was constantly begging for instruction on over and over from the beginning.) Later, I was promoted again to the Assistant Manager position even though I had never been trained to do the job in the first place and no materials were presented to me. Again, I was told to "figure it out". (For those of you wondering, YES, there were some materials available for my training, BUT, I had to find them for myself. What I found was a dated manual from the 80's which proved a bit less than helpful. I guess you could say I was back at square one.) For the most part I did just that, and, was successful enough to meet and exceed store goals. (Again for those curious, I met and exceeded my goal across the board by 5% so, 105% to goal achieved.)

But, once again, (in fact it was the day I knew I hit and exceeded my goals) I got demoted....... citing poor performance, lack of knowledge, etc. This was a HUGE slap in the face............. I did what I was told, EXACTLY......... I met the expectations asked of me. HOW CAN CORPORATE Regional Managers JUSTIFY demoting me?!?!?!? I ASK YOU???????!!!!!!!

I have never met nor bear witness to the CEO of the company, save for the occasional chain letter signed by him from his secretary or assistant whom I assume is the person responsible for generating generic correspondence for him. Basically, the letters that blast ingenuine verbiage to the lowly employees on the front lines, let alone met anyone from the Ivory tower willing to spend more than five minutes in the building unless they were specifically told to do so. I suppose it's human nature to put forth as little effort as possible to get a job done, but this is ridiculous! We are constantly watched by a "loss prevention team" and yet when they came to spend some time with us, (again, because they were told to do so, due to threats being received over the phone lines) they admitted to having "no idea" how we handled the pressure of the job on a daily basis. If this isn't proof the Ivory tower has no clue how business is conducted in these stores,I don't know what is.

I am well educated, and perhaps a bit over qualified for this position. I had to unlearn some of my database knowledge when I began this "career" as the POS system is so antiquated, it's embarrassing. Think of a DOS based POS system and you wouldn't be far off, the only thing that’s missing is the green screen. Transactions take entirely too long to be even considered in the same realm as efficiency! Year after year we seem to be met with more and more pay cuts. As if the pay structure weren't skewed enough, we got another pay cut this year. To be a successful sales person, you must equal your pay in SPIFF. If you exceed your hourly rate in SPIFF, you may actually get a "commission", otherwise you are considered a "subsidy" writer. Even though the wares you're constantly peddling carry close to 50% profit!?!?! This means the average Joe working at Cartoys must make roughly $112/ per 8-hour shift (in spiff) to break even. Well, the average deck or small set of speakers only pay between 3-8 bucks (in spiff) if you're lucky. Think of the effort one would have to put forth in the course of a day in order to get let’s say a $500 commission at the end of the month. If you were to sell a 12-1300$ Navigation unit you're only getting a $50 spiff on that. So, basically you must do that twice a day, every day, in order to get a commission, check at all. So factor this in with your new pay cut and tell me the type of place this is.

Managers only have it slightly better as they have a base salary that is just under an hourly employee but they get to keep all commissions earned up to a cap. This cap was raised and salary cut. So basically, you could theoretically make the same money you did before, but you must work harder to get it. I always thought it was funny to see our goals keep getting ramped up and NO, I mean ZERO incentive given to achieve them save for a bonus here and there that you might not ever see due to the lofty expectations.

As if this were the end, I tell you it is not. You are expected to not only sell, but PROVE, why your product is superior to OEM components and other competitor's wares. This is nearly impossible not only because of the lack of training, but, because more than half of the displays are NON-functional! How can I prove to you a $1000.00 pair of speakers are better than OEM, when I can't even turn them on!?!?!?!?!?!

Business is business; it's not rocket science. This is simple.; you have an old school, antiquated, lackadaisical management department combined with an ANCIENT POS system that is an insult to modern business standards. One in which good ol' boy antics/bullying seem to be rewarded and those who actually want to make a difference are shunned to the point of: (unfortunately for the company) makes no difference.

Don't take my word for anything; read the countless reviews that will verify my key points here. There is no future here. There is no training to be had. There is no structure to even begin to be worth your time. DAN BRETTLER, MAYBE YOU SHOULD FIX THIS BEFORE YOU NO LONGER HAVE A COMPANY.......................................

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees when they are crying for help. They are trying to HELP YOU! TRAIN your employees!!!! You Screwed over your vets and they left; can you blame them!?!??! Now you have to rebuild after your mistake. How can you expect great results when you don't invest or put ANYTHING in to your work force?!?!?! Shame on you for not treating your employees with the respect and dignity they deserve! You have highly qualified, intelligent, wonderful human beings working for you, don't throw it away DAN!

"You Need Thick Skin"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Portland, OR

Pros

1) If you know how to sell, the pay is competitive.
    2) You are able to work with and watch technicians as they work on cars.
    3) Selling can be just listening to music with customers.
    4) Forced to make money

Cons

1)Not enough resources or training available.

2) Micro-managing is the core practice of management.

3) Working late hours (I've stayed in at work till 2:00 am in the morning on a few separate occasions; one was to get a job done on a car, and the other was to change price tags.)

4) Army-esque type management and expectations.

5) Very old and faulty POS system

6) Payroll messes up from time to time

7) No structure on who will actually earn or deserve a commission of a sale

8) Management takes sales (commissions) from their employees to hit their own commission goal or bonus goal. Sometimes even just to look good in front of their boss(s).

9) Old computers and printers that sometimes just stop working.

10) Odd punishments for under performing

11) Forced (when I say forced I mean heavily and emotionally forced) to make money.

12) Due to lack of resources and an abundance of old technology, dealing with customers become a hassle.

13) End up doing managerial duties, without payment or recognition ( ex. training new hires)

14) Fed falsehoods of promotions.

15) Well overworked, where the money is just not worth it

16) Many workers and management alike showed many instances of sexism and homophobia

Advice to Management

Do not be a boss, but be a leader. Lead your employees to learn from your example. Do not take hard earned commissions from your employees just to look good. Engage and teach your employees on a daily basis, not just when the corporate bosses show up. Be truthful instead of filling your vocabulary with half truths. Consider and acknowledge recommendations and thoughts of your employees.

"Don't walk from Car Toys.....Run"

I worked at Car Toys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Jobs are stable. Even if you do a horrible job in install they will not fire you because installers are a dying breed and they are always desperate to make money. Pay is good if you don't have any morales and don't care about your work - life balance.

Cons

They will force you to stay late even if it takes you into 2 am to close a deal. If you have other plans then they must be cancelled. Lying to customers is a normal everyday occurrence, if you give honest feedback you will be looked down upon and sometimes even fired if you run the right person the wrong way. Pressure sales are a must and you must do anything to close a deal even if it means cutting your own pay. Definite good ole boys club, women need a very thick skin and HR won't do anything about it as I have heard how they act themselves. SHQ and stores fight and don't work together. The list really goes on and on. Unless you know the person working on your car personally don't trust anyone to work on your car.

Advice to Management

Learn to work together, take feedback as a positive thing and stop retaliating against each other. Lower goals and stop being so greedy. The company can make money without pushing everyone so hard especially since they spout that they are "debt free". Don't push your people to the brim and turnover would be much less.

"Headquarters"

Former Employee - SHQ in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - SHQ in Seattle, WA

I worked at Car Toys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I gained valuable experience working with a difficult, unfriendly, political team.

Cons

The team at SHQ is generally old school and unfriendly. They will not hesitate to throw someone under the bus if it suits them. They gossip and spread rumors and make the work environment generally unpleasant, which is why I am a former employee.

Advice to Management

Stop the gossip. Take it to the source. Demand proof if accusations are made. Remember that just because someone is good at their particular job does not mean they'll be a good manager.

9. "It's an okay place"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

God possibility for pay, great benefits, fun environment.

Cons

Long hours, unreasonable expectarions, not enough pay, poor management

Advice to Management

Get out of the back office, motivate team, and help train enployees.

10. "Corperate"

I worked at Car Toys full-time

Pros

Can't think of any worth the cons

Cons

High pressure, poor communication, expected to work day , night, and weekend. Terrible work life balance.

Advice to Management

Listen more and include Dan in some communication training

11. "Store Manager"

I have been working at Car Toys full-time

Pros

People (co-workers and variety of customers), fun industry, if work hard, you can make good money.

Cons

Working Retail Hours and on holidays