CarGurus Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

3.9
CarGurus CEO Jason Trevisan
Jason Trevisan
Pros
  • "Free lunch, travel covered, gym, monthly happy hours - the list goes on(in 22 reviews)

• "Great perks - Catered lunch, interesting problems to solve, lots of autonomy, great coworkers(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It felt like leadership mentally abandoned our existing product offerings to dealers(in 10 reviews)

• "There are not many cons here at CarGurus, but some areas of improvement would include our work from home policy, which is only two days per month(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Jul 13, 2020 - Team Lead in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for CarGurus for two years and have only good things to say about the experience. Not only does the company genuinely care about it's employees (evident through summer outings, happy hours, perks, compensation, more), but my colleagues are some of the most conscientious people I've ever worked with. I changed roles after 1 year with CarGurus and the process was pretty easy, and I felt supported by everyone involved. I've had opportunities to mentor colleagues as well as be mentored by many.

Cons

Not many bad things to say. I fear that the CarGurus culture took a hit when we had to reduce our force because of Coronavirus. Also, it's hard to feel the same connection to colleagues when we're all remote, but this isn't necessarily a criticism of CG, just the world in which we currently live.

10 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

People

May 3, 2021 - Financial Operations Analyst in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Only the best people are hired!

Cons

Career opportunities could be better

3. 4.0

Lots of growth opportunity

May 12, 2021 - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart, data driven employees who look out for one another.

Cons

Can feel very siloed. Race to build out new products results in shifting priorities.

4. 2.0

Anything BUT Transparent

Feb 18, 2021 - Customer Success in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

All of the benefits ie. free lunch, stocked kitchen, events, commuter benefits. You can take any days off even if the whole department will be out no structure or having to worry about what days you want off.

Cons

Everyone is out for themselves, if you seem to be progressing be careful who you confide in because they will throw you under the bus. Employees tear each other down! Don't make any mistakes because they will be brought to management. Rethink who your friends are at this company because they are not, especially if they are on your team. Sad to know when I leave I will have no friends from here. Upper management promised over and over again there would be no layoffs due to covid and would even get on calls with employee to reassure them. Guess what they lied and laid off 13% of the staff completely damaging the core value they are so proud of as well as the culture. The pros seem good but there are so many other companies with the same benefits. No room for growth unless you're here for years. I'm so disappointed this isn't working out because I drank that cool aid hard and for too long but it's just not getting better.

7 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0

Perfectly fine

Apr 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people, RSUs, PTO and sabbatical, great parties

Cons

Massive Covid layoffs hurt company morale, expecting more work to make up for personnel loss without pay increases, pay already lower than similar advertised jobs/friends at other companies, attrition is high

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Don't know where we are heading....

Mar 23, 2021 - Dealer Relations Account Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good base salary with potential to bring in some serious commission Great benefits, awesome office (before we were sent home due to covid) catered lunches and free snacks were a huge plus

Cons

Constant change in department structure. Have gone through 3 sales directors within the last 12 months. Changing our entire department while raising our quotas. Not a lot of transparency about which direction the company is heading.

7. 5.0

Great Place to Work!

Apr 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits. Good manager. Really nice place to work.

Cons

Pay structure and career pathways can be confusing or aren't adhered to.

8. 4.0

Car cleaner

Apr 22, 2021 - Supervisor in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bubbles feel cool on your skin

Cons

Water hurts in your eyes

2 people found this review helpful

CarGurus Response

Senior Director

Thanks for your thoughtful review! Water does indeed hurt in your eyes – just one reason that our top-notch perks & benefits don’t include hosing down our employees. If we do make the decision to pivot out of our industry-leading tech products and enter the car cleaning space, you will be our first call. May we recommend, though, staying in your car next time you’re at a car wash. Stay safe. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

9. 5.0

No review submitted

Apr 20, 2021 - Account Executive in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

No real cons it was a good experience

10. 5.0

Talent Acquisition

Apr 12, 2021 - Talent Acquisition in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, culture and work /life balance are the best of any company that I have worked for.

Cons

Internal Growth outside of Engineering can be tough

1 person found this review helpful