CarGurus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Langley Steinert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Daily catered lunch and an awesome, stocked kitchen" (in 11 reviews)

• "Free lunch 5x per week, stock options, game room, beer on tap" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Most benefits are really great, but we're still missing 401k matching" (in 3 reviews)

• "Not many cons to working here, benefits are great and everyone is very helpful" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Positive, Changing, Challenging, Supportive"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people in the city work here and there's always a challenge and something to work towards. It's also great to work on a winning team and for a company that's dominating the industry!

Cons

Things can move quickly or not quickly at all, which can be frustrating, but that's reminiscent of most companies that are rapidly growing in size and influence.

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dramatic growth creates new opportunities, autonomy and trust in employees to work hard, amazing perks, challenging and fun environment.

Cons

Base salaries could be a little higher

Advice to Management

Communication could improve but that is the result of such dramatic growth in the company. In my eyes, this is a good problem to have and it just means the business as a whole is doing well. Continued focus on improvement would be my advice.

3. "Toxic, Unprofession, PPC Carsalesman Co."

Current Employee - CSM in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - CSM in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

free food, but don't believe the PR hype

Cons

#MeToo imo. Toxic culture/work environment as Customer Success doesn't know what they are doing and just figure it out with no knowledge. No KPI. No knowledge of statistics. Culture includes a supervisor who sneaks up to surprise people and a women screamed at work as she was frightened. Another example of toxicity, supervisor intrudes on people's personal lives when it's none of the company's business and overstepped lines of respect.

Company helps used car salespeople sell new cars so the work isn't satisfying at all so that combined with the poor culture.

Culture is full of under qualified personal referrals who make the culture tough to work in as there are many different levels of competency and let others steal cases to pad their inaccurate stats.

Basic software product with basic back end features.

Advice to Management

clean up the bad actors who

4. "This is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CG offers all the usual benefits that attract workers to Cambridge: game room, catered lunches, beer (and cold brew) on tap, happy hours, company outings, etc, but it also appeals to those more interested in benefits like medical, dental, vision, tuition assistance, matching 401(k), profit sharing (by way of RSUs), etc. And for those looking for a career that's equal parts challenging and rewarding, CarGurus could be a perfect fit. In just a few years, the company has grown from startup with a handful of people in a small office to over 600 people in two beautiful offices in Cambridge. In addition, we have offices in Canada and Dublin, and our service is now running in Germany, Italy, and Spain. Our rapid company growth has required the development of a very efficient career path process.

Cons

EVERY company has issues. Look hard enough and you'll find some things you'd like to change here, too. Overall, the few annoyances we cope with are insignificant in the big picture.

Advice to Management

Great job handling the transition from private company to public without stifling the startup culture!

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks - Catered lunch, interesting problems to solve, lots of autonomy, great coworkers

Cons

Vacation policy is too limited.

Advice to Management

Increase vacation policy to be in line with other tech companies in the area

"Great fit for hardworking & driven individuals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CG is the most transparent company I've been at. While a lot is constantly changing and there are moving pieces as you would expect of a fast-growth company, we are open about what's going on, what the challenges might be, and what our successes are. There's a lot of opportunity for growth both within your role (annual reviews allow for annual progression) along with within the company if you are able to show you are a top performer in your current role. When people state that "there aren't opportunities for growth" that is generally people waiting for something to be handed to them, which isn't going to happen. But through hard work and an ability to work closely with your manager/coach, promotion and internal moves are definitely possible.

There are also a vast number of thought leaders at the company who are open and willing to teach and mentor. The number of years in the tech industry in a variety of roles contained under this one roof is unparalleled and allows for great professional development.

The day to day is challenging, rewarding and supportive. It is certainly a place at which I feel lucky to work and with people I'm lucky to work with.

Tons of perks like free breakfast/lunch, transportation costs covered, casual culture, high commission opportunities, every other week happy hours, stock options, and more.

Cons

Vacation time is more limited than other companies I've been at and there currently is no working from home policy. Also, it is a white-male dominated workplace which can feel fairly narrow-minded at times.

"Strong set of values. Forward outlook looks positive."

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A typical tech company with all the perks but without the fluffy low expectations for your job. Everyone is expected to achieve and we have fun while doing it.

Cons

That said, some groups appear to have vague performance metrics. In addition, based on those metrics some groups tend to have only upside for doing well with those metrics but no downside.

Advice to Management

It's worth it to take the time to see how each group in the company is being evaluated (not just reviews but daily and monthly performance), and see where there might be low+ high expectations currently.

"Shiny Car Broken Engine"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Catered lunch, nice colleagues, good benefits, outings, fun culture. All these pros makes working at CarGurus a fun exciting place to be. I made a lot of friends here and that’s what kept me coming back to work each day. It used to be a lot better back in 2016 early 2017 but after a revolving door of managment and new leaders in sales the whole atmosphere completely changed for the worst.

Cons

Managment is absolutely awful! Not saying every manager is terrible but majority are immature and not qualified to lead teams. They are promoted within due to a lack of options which creates inexperience account executives leading teams of mostly inexperienced sales reps.

Expect to be micromanaged each and everyday with meetings after meetings filled with non sense and filler so the managers can prove they provide value when in reality they do not. Also expect to be asked if you even want to work at CarGurus even though people work long hours and stay late constantly. Also make sure you pick up that phone all day or you will hear “do you know how much money you make? Earn your paycheck”.

Moral across the sales floor was always so low and everyone always looked miserable. Another issue is that CG signed up basically ever car dealer so there is a serious lack of prospects to sign but upper managment would tell you differently. If you are looking at positions that do not revolve a quota or sales then CarGurus is great but if you are thinking of applying to a sales role I would think twice.

Advice to Management

Change managment or train them better. Appreciate your employees, listen, and respect them as they are the backbone of the company.

9. "Great Company!"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

Many challenging projects. Super growth opportunities. Excellent benefits. Great locations. Positive work culture.

Cons

Not much to report on the cons.

Advice to Management

Don't loose the small company style.

"Great Intentions, Significant Areas to Improve"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Solid amount of autonomy (this isn't a "If you're in at 9:01 AM, you're late" culture)
    - Decent pay, 401K matching, annual bonus
    - Langley Steinert, Jason Trevisan, and Sam Zales are a great example of a power-trio where the top leaders in the company work closely with those who excel in ways they may not. They all have different styles and together represent well-rounded leadership that's approachable, motivating, and highly respectable.
     (Another shout out to Sam Zales knowing everyone's names....this means a hell of a lot to everyone!)

Cons

It's great that CarGurus boosts their employees internally, but because of this, lower management is not up-to-par in terms of training and experience. While formal leadership training is great, my suggestion is to make sure that mid-level managers are fully prepared to be coaches to the lower-level managers that they oversee. If a manager doesn't feel like they themselves have a readily-present and involved supervisor, no amount of formal training is going to teach them what they need to know. Keep investing in those who lead by example and inspire those around them.

Advice to Management

- Implement a policy to be able to work remotely. CarGurus currently contributes up to $200 per month for commuter costs and for people interested in/requiring a remote office, this could be a great way to save company money. Not to mention the fact that we currently have two buildings and allowing some employees to work remotely would diminish this need and allow us to consolidate. Also some people don't have a choice and need to work from home due to family/medical/other needs, so having this option would widen your pool of viable candidates.
    - Recognize that seniority is not the end-all-be-all. There should be much more to raises, perks, and leadership opportunities than "Person A has been at the company longer than Person B."