CarGurus Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2020

4.2
CarGurus Founder/CEO Langley Steinert
Langley Steinert
Pros
  • "Free lunch, travel covered, gym, monthly happy hours - the list goes on(in 18 reviews)

• "Great perks - Catered lunch, interesting problems to solve, lots of autonomy, great coworkers(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lastly, the company is always working on future improvements and solutions for the consumers and our dealers(in 7 reviews)

• "Truthfully, no cons stand out for me(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Grateful boomerang employee!"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is my second time around with CarGurus, and I'm grateful to be back! This company gets it. CarGurus offers a best in class suite of products to its customers that produces real results and ROI. The executive team communicates the future goals of the company, and they always deliver whether it being new product offerings, added benefits/perks, or overall strategy for future growth. CarGuru is a collaborative work environment where teammates are always looking to help others achieve their overall goals as a team. Our Benefits/perks are top-notch, which include: -BCBS Health insurance, dental, vision (CG covers 80% and the health deductibles are very inexpensive) - 401k with match - Generous vacation policy - Catered lunches daily - Stocked kitchen (coffee, cold brew, beer on tap) - Commuter benefits (parking or t pass) - Summer and Holiday outings which are always a great time - work-life balance All in all, this is an excellent place to work, where you can learn and grow your career.

Cons

There are not many cons here at CarGurus, but some areas of improvement would include our work from home policy, which is only two days per month. I would love to see this expand to 1 day per week. Lastly, the company is always working on future improvements and solutions for the consumers and our dealers. I want the organization to continue to work quickly, as we continue to grow, moving quickly, seems to be a challenge.

June 25, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for providing your unique perspective and welcome back! I’m personally so proud of the best-in-class benefits and perks we offer to employees, thanks for the call-out. We’re also continuously evaluating what we provide, including our work from home policy, and hope to make CarGurus an even better place to work. Thanks for all the work you do for the team!

2. "CarGurus is an amazing place to work!!"

Current Employee - Credit and Collections Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time for more than a year

Pros

CarGurus cares about their employees.

Cons

I have no cons to list.

June 25, 2020Chief People Officer

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review and glad to hear you feel rewarded in your role at CG!

3. COVID-19

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Digital Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CarGurus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great management, awesome perks and crucial software for automotive industry.

Cons

I was not there long enough to see any cons with the company due to COVID-19.

4. COVID-19

"Overall great place to work, but not somewhere you make a lifetime career."

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CarGurus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great health and commuter benefits and perks, fun young culture, flexible hours. They understand you are a human with an outside life and outside needs, and depending on the management you're under they let you do what you need to do, as long as you get the job done well. Stay long enough and you will make true lifelong friends that will ACTUALLY last and keep in touch once you leave.

Cons

Don't work here if you're looking for a high growth opportunity. There are rules in place so that you can't be promoted, or even move departments, if you've been in your position for less than a year, so upward mobility is extremely slow. Also, the company has grown too much to be able to keep up with the honest and open "transparent" culture anymore, despite it being a core value. Work from home (before COVID) is only allowed 2 times per month (recently upgraded from 1 day per month), and upper management has somehow fooled themselves to thinking this is average for the tech industry. In the last year or so things have become noticeably more corporate and political than they used to be, from my own and experience and from speaking to (former) colleagues who have been there 4-5+ years. There are a ton of hoops to jump through and roadblocks in order to get a raise or promotion.

Continue reading

"It’s Not What You Think"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at CarGurus full-time

Pros

The people. I miss working with my gurus more and more everyday. They made going to work at cg worth it. There were also excellent time off benefits , health insurance etc., basic perks typical of tech companies in Boston.

Cons

Management is a mess. Nepotism is a huge con. Lack of transparency. Unprofessionalism in general across the teams. Bro culture. Favoritism. Negative work environment if you are looking to grow and learn - this isn’t the place for you unless you are a favorite or suck up to the right people. It just keeps getting worse year after year. For a company that praises itself on so many core positive values, it rarely meets any of them. Sad. This place used to be amazing until they went public but that is the name of the game.

Continue reading

"Strong, thoughtful, and transparent culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time for less than a year

Pros

High levels of communication from senior leadership. Collaboration is core to working here and everyone embraces new ideas with open minds. Despite the fast moving environment, everyone at the company cares about their teams, and the company overall. The work is fun, and my intelligent colleagues are motivating.

Cons

The week-day hours can be long, but your weekends are respected.

June 25, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks for leaving such a kind review. I’m so happy to hear that you recognize and value our level of collaboration, transparency, communication and support. Reviews like this remind me that all of the hard work we put into our core values is truly acknowledged and appreciated. We are lucky to have you! Thank you for all of your hard work.

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Career Development, Great Management, Perks/Benefits, Healthy Environment

Cons

Not much WFH opportunity, that is it though

8. COVID-19

"Great benefits, immature management, weird structure"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at CarGurus full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are great here, they truly take care of their employees in all respects, the people are incredibly intelligent for the most part, the offices in Cambridge was clean, well maintained, the catered lunches are fantastic (a big benefit, it had to be called out separately), the projects are engaging when you're paired with the right people, and people love to collaborate together, which is great to see.

Cons

Management is quite strange here, they promote people that shouldn't be managers, especially on the engineering side. The company is engineer heavy, and white male engineer heavy. Barely any women representation, generally speaking little PoC representation in the company. They hired someone to fix this, but it feels forced and very inauthentic. They're also hilariously against WFH, for no reason beyond the CEO being hyper-focused with the idea that this is still a 50 person startup. People need flexibility, every tech company is open about this, being against it and offering benefits to compensate for this seems really sour. There is no process either, people do whatever they want with little to no accountability on their work. There is little to no movement in your career path, no matter how many times you voice it, your manager gives empty promises, like someone said, they already know who they want for management, but don't say anything. If you're trying to make a longterm career out of this place, you have to be a white male engineer to last, or by some chance, have made friends with the right people. Otherwise, this is a nice resume spot, with good pay, then you move onto another place.

Continue reading

"Good Place for Engineers to Learn"

Current Employee - Senior UI Engineer in Somerville, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of good UI technologies in play. Direct managers tend to be pretty easy to get along with.

Cons

Still some troubles switching from engineers running everything ad hoc to a more orderly system. Pushing to production is a 2-3 times a week bit of excitement for the whole family.

"Definitely can't complain"

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CarGurus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started at CG back when everything was consolidated at 2 Canal. The vibe was second to none, in addition to the perks such as free lunch, T pass/parking paid for, etc. As the company grew, of course there were growing pains which at times were unpleasant but seemed to be resolved quickly. The work was good and my colleagues were some of the best I've had the pleasure of working with. Lastly, the view at 55CP can't be beat when on the Charles-facing side (if at that location)!

Cons

The one con I would have to mention would be management training. Even though the pieces were there, there are still some missing steps in terms of actually training managers to really be empathetic towards their reports. Furthermore there was some slight favoritism which oddly enough, seemed to not exist previously. I'm hoping that things can improve moving forward for the sake of those still there.

June 25, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for being a part of our team over these past five years and understanding on how there can be growing pains at times. As we continue to grow as a company, we’re always open to feedback, especially as we further develop our Learning and Development programs such as management trainings, professional growth series, and unconscious bias trainings. However, as we strive to make our company a great place to work, we do not tolerate favoritism, in any way whatsoever. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss this with you, feel free to reach me at aeldridge@cargurus.com.

Found 141 reviews