CarGurus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Langley Steinert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch 5x per week, stock options, game room, beer on tap (in 6 reviews)

• free lunch, game room, beer on tap (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Most benefits are really great, but we're still missing 401k matching (in 3 reviews)

• Not many cons to working here, benefits are great and everyone is very helpful (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

Many challenging projects. Super growth opportunities. Excellent benefits. Great locations. Positive work culture.

Cons

Not much to report on the cons.

Advice to Management

Don't loose the small company style.

"Shiny Car Broken Engine"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Catered lunch, nice colleagues, good benefits, outings, fun culture. All these pros makes working at CarGurus a fun exciting place to be. I made a lot of friends here and that’s what kept me coming back to work each day. It used to be a lot better back in 2016 early 2017 but after a revolving door of managment and new leaders in sales the whole atmosphere completely changed for the worst.

Cons

Managment is absolutely awful! Not saying every manager is terrible but majority are immature and not qualified to lead teams. They are promoted within due to a lack of options which creates inexperience account executives leading teams of mostly inexperienced sales reps.

Expect to be micromanaged each and everyday with meetings after meetings filled with non sense and filler so the managers can prove they provide value when in reality they do not. Also expect to be asked if you even want to work at CarGurus even though people work long hours and stay late constantly. Also make sure you pick up that phone all day or you will hear “do you know how much money you make? Earn your paycheck”.

Moral across the sales floor was always so low and everyone always looked miserable. Another issue is that CG signed up basically ever car dealer so there is a serious lack of prospects to sign but upper managment would tell you differently. If you are looking at positions that do not revolve a quota or sales then CarGurus is great but if you are thinking of applying to a sales role I would think twice.

Advice to Management

Change managment or train them better. Appreciate your employees, listen, and respect them as they are the backbone of the company.

"Great Intentions, Significant Areas to Improve"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Solid amount of autonomy (this isn't a "If you're in at 9:01 AM, you're late" culture)
    - Decent pay, 401K matching, annual bonus
    - Langley Steinert, Jason Trevisan, and Sam Zales are a great example of a power-trio where the top leaders in the company work closely with those who excel in ways they may not. They all have different styles and together represent well-rounded leadership that's approachable, motivating, and highly respectable.
     (Another shout out to Sam Zales knowing everyone's names....this means a hell of a lot to everyone!)

Cons

It's great that CarGurus boosts their employees internally, but because of this, lower management is not up-to-par in terms of training and experience. While formal leadership training is great, my suggestion is to make sure that mid-level managers are fully prepared to be coaches to the lower-level managers that they oversee. If a manager doesn't feel like they themselves have a readily-present and involved supervisor, no amount of formal training is going to teach them what they need to know. Keep investing in those who lead by example and inspire those around them.

Advice to Management

- Implement a policy to be able to work remotely. CarGurus currently contributes up to $200 per month for commuter costs and for people interested in/requiring a remote office, this could be a great way to save company money. Not to mention the fact that we currently have two buildings and allowing some employees to work remotely would diminish this need and allow us to consolidate. Also some people don't have a choice and need to work from home due to family/medical/other needs, so having this option would widen your pool of viable candidates.
    - Recognize that seniority is not the end-all-be-all. There should be much more to raises, perks, and leadership opportunities than "Person A has been at the company longer than Person B."

"Big Fan"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

* Full autonomy to run my book of business as I see fit
    * Trust from our manager
    * Great AM support
    * A company who's starting to grow very rapidly and outperform other publishers
    * Good pay

Cons

* Certain support teams we rely on don't have accountability and are protected when mistakes are made
    * Some of CG's mentality is to not change certain parts of the business until we absolutely have to

Advice to Management

Now that we're public, be careful playing the game between short term gains for the sake of our stock and long term vision

"Avoid a sales role at all costs"

Former Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CarGurus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Food (don't you dare get in line early though!), snacks, beer, coffee, outings. Generally a good office atmosphere with a good view. Pay is good but was rapidly declining. From a day to day, the pros vary based on department.

Life is probably great in engineering, marketing and HR. They probably enjoy autonomy, valued work and a lack of micro-management. Not so much in sales/dealer relations.

Cons

This was both my favorite job ever, and my worst. Years ago, this was the best sales job in Boston but with new mgmt came new priorities. Morale plummeted within a year like I've never seen before. Micro-mgmt to an insane degree, placing ALL the blame on sales and not the decision making of senior leadership, changing goals/metrics on a dime (based on whatever the flavor of the month was), and just an overall decline in enjoying being part of something we all helped grow. Yeah, there was food and games..but those became taboo and you typically ate at your desk and avoided the gameroom.

Promotions here are 100% ALL optics /favoritism and nothing more. Work a Saturday, lots of reply-all emails, be vocal to the right people...BOOM, promotion!

Most importantly, avoid the various sales departments at all costs. You've never met a group of people more miserable then those on sales. Again, it used to be the greatest sales job in Boston but it only took about 12 months to make it a miserable place to be. Constant fear of losing your job; sneak attack firings, mgmt out for themselves and does not have your back; zero culpability from mgmt for anything.

The popular move became Dealer Relations since the US market is fully sold at this point (though they will never admit it). On this team your responsible for existing account upsells into a dead banner-ad market and renewals that reach 120% in increased price...seriously. Imagine having that conversation every day of your working life. But that team is 100 people now and there is nothing to cross-sell at all. The good news here is you don't actually fear for your job on this team (hence the move for sales here).

And now CG is about to go public so it's even further downhill from here. Keep looking, Boston is a thriving market and there are tons of great jobs out there from companies that offer good pay and autonomy.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting based on optics (or playing favorites). Stop the insane level micro-management. Stop the nights and weekends games (Hey everybody, we bought pizza juuuuuust in case you wanted to stay late. By which I mean, stay late and come in on Saturday. Maybe Sunday too).

6. "Good Stuff"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

Great perks, great people and a fun culture.

Cons

Not making as much money as you are lead to believe.

Advice to Management

Revise the comp plan.

"The grass is greener!"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture - open communication, great opportunities, everyone is happy!
    - Unreal perks - daily lunch, parking, benefits, game rooms, beer on tap...!
    - Believe in Mission - it's great working for a company that make a part of life just a little easier
    - Senior team is trusted and great, such a breath of fresh air to work for people who believe in doing the right thing always

Cons

For some this could be a con - we have a startup culture and are always working to improve our ways which means a lot of change in daily process.

Advice to Management

THANK YOU! Love the transparency, town hall meetings, and can't tell you how much it means that Sammy Z knows everyone's name. Literally.

"Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Amazing Work/Life balance with a fantastic benefits package
    2. True autonomy in your role with zero micro management
    3. Engaged leadership that is always upfront about the direction of the company
    4. The company itself is a rocket ship and even though we have grown fast it is done out our pace and is very well managed by the leadership

Cons

We are still a start up and fast paced so projects can change quickly which is not the best environment for someone who does not like the start up culture

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Childish & Immature Work Place. Perks don't disguise that hallow feeling inside of questioning if it's all worth it."

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

The free food isn't worth it, not good, but free, good location which is spoiled by high school like culture and work experience.

Cons

All PR (Public Relations) aside, appearing to be a good company on the internet is not a reality in person, so don't believe the hype. Does PR and reality ever match up anyways? Clique, immature colleagues who have more toys on their desks than any grammar school kid. Grammar school mentality where the grown "adults" attempt to understand work life with their toys. Upper management has no clue how inept the departments are as lower level managers aren't knowledgeable and really don't do much, except micro-manage everyone to pretend to show their value. Lower to middle management don't know what they are doing and even with evidence they ignore facts. They have no experience which makes it a difficult work environment on all levels because what happens is that they try to pretend to know what they are doing, when they don't and that is just an awful workplace experience, right? I'm not the only one to say this as just review the other review on 6/12/17. Even the good reviews mention the perks, but they only take you so far as I don't believe getting leads for car sellers is gratifying or fulfilling work, but if you want to eat lots of junk food it could be the place for you. You may have to overlook that hollow feeling inside of realizing snacks won' fulfill you.

Advice to Management

Your PR doesn't match reality. Be honest and transparent with everyone. Have checks and balances and an outsider perspective to monitor those who hire just friends which leads to all the problems of the "high school" culture. The worst company I have ever worked for in my life and that's why I am writing my first Glassdoor review. I have more to say that is even worse, but I think this gives you the picture to speculate. Feel free to look up their customer reviews and news about their company history off of these types of websites which they post themselves for a more independent review.

CarGurus Response

Sep 29, 2017 – VP People and Talent

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. As a leader at CarGurus this is disappointing to hear from a current employee. I encourage you to speak to myself or someone on your leadership... More

"Revise your management staff in DR"

I worked at CarGurus full-time

Pros

The people and the company perks were nice.

Cons

Sr. Management in DR is a joke. Find a better staff. Stop hiring people that don't know what their doing. Management Team in DR promotes people that they like and want to move up. I feel the leadership is poor and just didn't really care about growth of people who really wanted to move up.

Advice to Management

Get a better management staff.