CarGurus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Langley Steinert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Daily catered lunch and an awesome, stocked kitchen" (in 11 reviews)

• "Free lunch 5x per week, stock options, game room, beer on tap" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Most benefits are really great, but we're still missing 401k matching" (in 3 reviews)

• "Not many cons to working here, benefits are great and everyone is very helpful" (in 3 reviews)

1. "best sales job in boston"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Atmosphere
    - In-house training
    -Competitive pay

Cons

Provide more cross-functional jobs opportunities for sales!

2. "Dealer Relations Account Specialist"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

Great Managers that give you guidance but dont micro- manage, reasonable expectations, opportunity to grow, and a great culture

Cons

None that I can think of

3. "Positive, Changing, Challenging, Supportive"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people in the city work here and there's always a challenge and something to work towards. It's also great to work on a winning team and for a company that's dominating the industry!

Cons

Things can move quickly or not quickly at all, which can be frustrating, but that's reminiscent of most companies that are rapidly growing in size and influence.

4. "Mixed Bag"

I worked at CarGurus full-time

Pros

great perk and office attmosphere

Cons

pretty socially clicky. lots of change and sort of chaotic because of that.

"Toxic, Unprofession, PPC Carsalesman Co."

Current Employee - CSM in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - CSM in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

free food, but don't believe the PR hype

Cons

#MeToo imo. Toxic culture/work environment as Customer Success doesn't know what they are doing and just figure it out with no knowledge. No KPI. No knowledge of statistics. Culture includes a supervisor who sneaks up to surprise people and a women screamed at work as she was frightened. Another example of toxicity, supervisor intrudes on people's personal lives when it's none of the company's business and overstepped lines of respect.

Company helps used car salespeople sell new cars so the work isn't satisfying at all so that combined with the poor culture.

Culture is full of under qualified personal referrals who make the culture tough to work in as there are many different levels of competency and let others steal cases to pad their inaccurate stats.

Basic software product with basic back end features.

Advice to Management

clean up the bad actors who

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dramatic growth creates new opportunities, autonomy and trust in employees to work hard, amazing perks, challenging and fun environment.

Cons

Base salaries could be a little higher

Advice to Management

Communication could improve but that is the result of such dramatic growth in the company. In my eyes, this is a good problem to have and it just means the business as a whole is doing well. Continued focus on improvement would be my advice.

"This is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CG offers all the usual benefits that attract workers to Cambridge: game room, catered lunches, beer (and cold brew) on tap, happy hours, company outings, etc, but it also appeals to those more interested in benefits like medical, dental, vision, tuition assistance, matching 401(k), profit sharing (by way of RSUs), etc. And for those looking for a career that's equal parts challenging and rewarding, CarGurus could be a perfect fit. In just a few years, the company has grown from startup with a handful of people in a small office to over 600 people in two beautiful offices in Cambridge. In addition, we have offices in Canada and Dublin, and our service is now running in Germany, Italy, and Spain. Our rapid company growth has required the development of a very efficient career path process.

Cons

EVERY company has issues. Look hard enough and you'll find some things you'd like to change here, too. Overall, the few annoyances we cope with are insignificant in the big picture.

Advice to Management

Great job handling the transition from private company to public without stifling the startup culture!

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks - Catered lunch, interesting problems to solve, lots of autonomy, great coworkers

Cons

Vacation policy is too limited.

Advice to Management

Increase vacation policy to be in line with other tech companies in the area

"Great fit for hardworking & driven individuals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CG is the most transparent company I've been at. While a lot is constantly changing and there are moving pieces as you would expect of a fast-growth company, we are open about what's going on, what the challenges might be, and what our successes are. There's a lot of opportunity for growth both within your role (annual reviews allow for annual progression) along with within the company if you are able to show you are a top performer in your current role. When people state that "there aren't opportunities for growth" that is generally people waiting for something to be handed to them, which isn't going to happen. But through hard work and an ability to work closely with your manager/coach, promotion and internal moves are definitely possible.

There are also a vast number of thought leaders at the company who are open and willing to teach and mentor. The number of years in the tech industry in a variety of roles contained under this one roof is unparalleled and allows for great professional development.

The day to day is challenging, rewarding and supportive. It is certainly a place at which I feel lucky to work and with people I'm lucky to work with.

Tons of perks like free breakfast/lunch, transportation costs covered, casual culture, high commission opportunities, every other week happy hours, stock options, and more.

Cons

Vacation time is more limited than other companies I've been at and there currently is no working from home policy. Also, it is a white-male dominated workplace which can feel fairly narrow-minded at times.

"Strong set of values. Forward outlook looks positive."

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A typical tech company with all the perks but without the fluffy low expectations for your job. Everyone is expected to achieve and we have fun while doing it.

Cons

That said, some groups appear to have vague performance metrics. In addition, based on those metrics some groups tend to have only upside for doing well with those metrics but no downside.

Advice to Management

It's worth it to take the time to see how each group in the company is being evaluated (not just reviews but daily and monthly performance), and see where there might be low+ high expectations currently.