CarGurus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Langley Steinert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch 5x per week, stock options, game room, beer on tap (in 6 reviews)

• free lunch, game room, beer on tap (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Most benefits are really great, but we're still missing 401k matching (in 3 reviews)

• Not many cons to working here, benefits are great and everyone is very helpful (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great fit for hardworking & driven individuals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CG is the most transparent company I've been at. While a lot is constantly changing and there are moving pieces as you would expect of a fast-growth company, we are open about what's going on, what the challenges might be, and what our successes are. There's a lot of opportunity for growth both within your role (annual reviews allow for annual progression) along with within the company if you are able to show you are a top performer in your current role. When people state that "there aren't opportunities for growth" that is generally people waiting for something to be handed to them, which isn't going to happen. But through hard work and an ability to work closely with your manager/coach, promotion and internal moves are definitely possible.

There are also a vast number of thought leaders at the company who are open and willing to teach and mentor. The number of years in the tech industry in a variety of roles contained under this one roof is unparalleled and allows for great professional development.

The day to day is challenging, rewarding and supportive. It is certainly a place at which I feel lucky to work and with people I'm lucky to work with.

Tons of perks like free breakfast/lunch, transportation costs covered, casual culture, high commission opportunities, every other week happy hours, stock options, and more.

Cons

Vacation time is more limited than other companies I've been at and there currently is no working from home policy. Also, it is a white-male dominated workplace which can feel fairly narrow-minded at times.

2. "Strong set of values. Forward outlook looks positive."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A typical tech company with all the perks but without the fluffy low expectations for your job. Everyone is expected to achieve and we have fun while doing it.

Cons

That said, some groups appear to have vague performance metrics. In addition, based on those metrics some groups tend to have only upside for doing well with those metrics but no downside.

Advice to Management

It's worth it to take the time to see how each group in the company is being evaluated (not just reviews but daily and monthly performance), and see where there might be low+ high expectations currently.

3. "Fast-paced & Friendly"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, friendly people, great company with a vision, fantastic benefits

Cons

Communication and stubbornness tend to be an issue. Lack of initiative to change their ways when scaling and growing

"Shiny Car Broken Engine"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Catered lunch, nice colleagues, good benefits, outings, fun culture. All these pros makes working at CarGurus a fun exciting place to be. I made a lot of friends here and that’s what kept me coming back to work each day. It used to be a lot better back in 2016 early 2017 but after a revolving door of managment and new leaders in sales the whole atmosphere completely changed for the worst.

Cons

Managment is absolutely awful! Not saying every manager is terrible but majority are immature and not qualified to lead teams. They are promoted within due to a lack of options which creates inexperience account executives leading teams of mostly inexperienced sales reps.

Expect to be micromanaged each and everyday with meetings after meetings filled with non sense and filler so the managers can prove they provide value when in reality they do not. Also expect to be asked if you even want to work at CarGurus even though people work long hours and stay late constantly. Also make sure you pick up that phone all day or you will hear “do you know how much money you make? Earn your paycheck”.

Moral across the sales floor was always so low and everyone always looked miserable. Another issue is that CG signed up basically ever car dealer so there is a serious lack of prospects to sign but upper managment would tell you differently. If you are looking at positions that do not revolve a quota or sales then CarGurus is great but if you are thinking of applying to a sales role I would think twice.

Advice to Management

Change managment or train them better. Appreciate your employees, listen, and respect them as they are the backbone of the company.

5. "Great Company!"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

Many challenging projects. Super growth opportunities. Excellent benefits. Great locations. Positive work culture.

Cons

Not much to report on the cons.

Advice to Management

Don't loose the small company style.

"Great Intentions, Significant Areas to Improve"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Solid amount of autonomy (this isn't a "If you're in at 9:01 AM, you're late" culture)
    - Decent pay, 401K matching, annual bonus
    - Langley Steinert, Jason Trevisan, and Sam Zales are a great example of a power-trio where the top leaders in the company work closely with those who excel in ways they may not. They all have different styles and together represent well-rounded leadership that's approachable, motivating, and highly respectable.
     (Another shout out to Sam Zales knowing everyone's names....this means a hell of a lot to everyone!)

Cons

It's great that CarGurus boosts their employees internally, but because of this, lower management is not up-to-par in terms of training and experience. While formal leadership training is great, my suggestion is to make sure that mid-level managers are fully prepared to be coaches to the lower-level managers that they oversee. If a manager doesn't feel like they themselves have a readily-present and involved supervisor, no amount of formal training is going to teach them what they need to know. Keep investing in those who lead by example and inspire those around them.

Advice to Management

- Implement a policy to be able to work remotely. CarGurus currently contributes up to $200 per month for commuter costs and for people interested in/requiring a remote office, this could be a great way to save company money. Not to mention the fact that we currently have two buildings and allowing some employees to work remotely would diminish this need and allow us to consolidate. Also some people don't have a choice and need to work from home due to family/medical/other needs, so having this option would widen your pool of viable candidates.
    - Recognize that seniority is not the end-all-be-all. There should be much more to raises, perks, and leadership opportunities than "Person A has been at the company longer than Person B."

"Big Fan"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

* Full autonomy to run my book of business as I see fit
    * Trust from our manager
    * Great AM support
    * A company who's starting to grow very rapidly and outperform other publishers
    * Good pay

Cons

* Certain support teams we rely on don't have accountability and are protected when mistakes are made
    * Some of CG's mentality is to not change certain parts of the business until we absolutely have to

Advice to Management

Now that we're public, be careful playing the game between short term gains for the sake of our stock and long term vision

"Avoid a sales role at all costs"

Former Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CarGurus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Food (don't you dare get in line early though!), snacks, beer, coffee, outings. Generally a good office atmosphere with a good view. Pay is good but was rapidly declining. From a day to day, the pros vary based on department.

Life is probably great in engineering, marketing and HR. They probably enjoy autonomy, valued work and a lack of micro-management. Not so much in sales/dealer relations.

Cons

This was both my favorite job ever, and my worst. Years ago, this was the best sales job in Boston but with new mgmt came new priorities. Morale plummeted within a year like I've never seen before. Micro-mgmt to an insane degree, placing ALL the blame on sales and not the decision making of senior leadership, changing goals/metrics on a dime (based on whatever the flavor of the month was), and just an overall decline in enjoying being part of something we all helped grow. Yeah, there was food and games..but those became taboo and you typically ate at your desk and avoided the gameroom.

Promotions here are 100% ALL optics /favoritism and nothing more. Work a Saturday, lots of reply-all emails, be vocal to the right people...BOOM, promotion!

Most importantly, avoid the various sales departments at all costs. You've never met a group of people more miserable then those on sales. Again, it used to be the greatest sales job in Boston but it only took about 12 months to make it a miserable place to be. Constant fear of losing your job; sneak attack firings, mgmt out for themselves and does not have your back; zero culpability from mgmt for anything.

The popular move became Dealer Relations since the US market is fully sold at this point (though they will never admit it). On this team your responsible for existing account upsells into a dead banner-ad market and renewals that reach 120% in increased price...seriously. Imagine having that conversation every day of your working life. But that team is 100 people now and there is nothing to cross-sell at all. The good news here is you don't actually fear for your job on this team (hence the move for sales here).

And now CG is about to go public so it's even further downhill from here. Keep looking, Boston is a thriving market and there are tons of great jobs out there from companies that offer good pay and autonomy.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting based on optics (or playing favorites). Stop the insane level micro-management. Stop the nights and weekends games (Hey everybody, we bought pizza juuuuuust in case you wanted to stay late. By which I mean, stay late and come in on Saturday. Maybe Sunday too).

"The grass is greener!"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture - open communication, great opportunities, everyone is happy!
    - Unreal perks - daily lunch, parking, benefits, game rooms, beer on tap...!
    - Believe in Mission - it's great working for a company that make a part of life just a little easier
    - Senior team is trusted and great, such a breath of fresh air to work for people who believe in doing the right thing always

Cons

For some this could be a con - we have a startup culture and are always working to improve our ways which means a lot of change in daily process.

Advice to Management

THANK YOU! Love the transparency, town hall meetings, and can't tell you how much it means that Sammy Z knows everyone's name. Literally.

"Good Stuff"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

Great perks, great people and a fun culture.

Cons

Not making as much money as you are lead to believe.

Advice to Management

Revise the comp plan.