CarGurus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 1, 2018

4.6
Langley Steinert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Daily catered lunch and an awesome, stocked kitchen" (in 11 reviews)

• "Free lunch 5x per week, stock options, game room, beer on tap" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also expect to be asked if you even want to work at CarGurus even though people work long hours and stay late constantly" (in 2 reviews)

• "Some growing pains with rapid scaling, but nothing we can't figure out" (in 2 reviews)

1. "This is an amazing organization!"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

I am a Senior level Sales manager with enough gray hair to prove it. I became interested in CarGurus because I interacted with Automotive Dealers in the past who loved using CarGurus. As a consumer, I also love using CarGurus.

In business and in life I always enter new opportunities with high hopes and optimism. However, I have sometimes found that job opportunities turn out to be less than ideal and less than expectation. Many people have probably experienced that along their journeys.

Not this time! I am so energized and excited every day to get to work and to be part of the shared mission of significance that drives us at CarGurus.

This has been an entirely positive experience from the beginning. Onboarding was thoughtful and comprehensive (and fun). I found that people across the company were part of the process and interested to help me acclimate and get comfortable. Beyond my team members, resources such as an intranet site that has deep information for every group, team, solution, and initiative across the company. I can truly find the answer to anything on the site, and that is one of many resources available to me. It’s so impressive and required an investment typically reserved for only the largest of companies.

I have been offered training and development opportunities that have resulted in an elevation of skill and ability. That alone is something for which I am so grateful.

It’s all about leadership and culture. The culture of this company is team-oriented, warm, trusting, respectful, fast, fun, and values-based. At CarGurus, core values have meaning – way beyond content simply printed on pamphlets or posters. We live our core values. For example, “collaboration” is a core value. This is such a nice company that it allows Sales people from different teams and groups to work together to engage and enlist new client partners or to expand the relationships we have with existing partners. And, it’s worth noting that this happens every day because Dealers are finding tremendous value and ROI from their CarGurus products and solutions. Each sales person involved is compensated as if s/he had worked independently to achieve the outcome. Winning together is so much more fun.

I have also experienced the senior management of CarGurus inspiring action in the correct direction in difficult situations, with a simple question -- “What is the right thing to do?”. Awesome.

I am grateful to be at CarGurus. Joining CarGurus was the right decision for sure.

Cons

I'm not aware of any cons.

2. "Great Company, Great Culture, Great People, Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Digital Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Digital Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Daily lunches
    - Unlimited stocked kitchen with snacks, drinks, bagels, fruits. cold brewed coffee
    - Swags swags swags
    - Work life balance
    - My team
    - My coworkers
    - Helpful lunch and learn
    - Paid gym membership
    - iPad/Bose for new hires
    - Charitable Giving program

Cons

The commute... I wish we are in downtown or the waterfront. However, they do offer great commuter benefits.

Not a con but nice to have:
    - Pet friendly workspace
    - Company wide team building activities

"Best challenges & team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here 6 months, and I don't have any plans to leave. My first week was great, and my happiness has only increased since then. I didn't think I would feel this way, as the commute is far and I knew this would be a challenging environment. I wanted a challenge, but I refuse to work for a company that cares more about the bottom line than me, my career, and my wellbeing - something I think many software companies these days take for granted.

CarGurus is THE place. The teams feel small and close-knit, and we move quickly, like a startup, but the work is consistent, the environment stable and positive, and the benefits are second to none, like a big company. Engineers don't work outside our 40 hours and the company, teams, and managers are fully invested in you, and not just your skills. Makes me want to work harder & learn more, and I feel great going home at night. Only making this review because I really enjoy it here and want to encourage others.

- Talented, highly collaborative & supportive team(s)
     - Amazing benefits & location
     - Engaging challenges to solve
     - Stress-free environment, leave work at the office
     - Autonomy - you are in control of your workday and your career path
     - Culture embracing diversity, discrimination-free
     - Opportunity to grow
     - No gender/ethnicity/sexual orientation bias, strong & active supporter of women, LGBTQ, minorities

Cons

None, really. If you drive in, traffic can get nasty from the Boston/Cambridge roadwork.

Advice to Management

Help with traffic, it's awful and the only source of stress I have during the week. Specifically referring to the local surface traffic in Cambridge, but 93/90 are a mess too.

"Great company"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Terrific benefits and employee forward culture that promotes a healthy work life balance

Cons

Organization is growing rapidly, with young managers who need coaching

5. "Great culture, Great benefits and salaries"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company offers great culture and benefits for the employees. The company is growing but the core culture is not changing.

Cons

Less flexibility to work from home as compared to other organizations. Its culturally not acceptable to ask for work from home or remote work arrangements.

Advice to Management

As we grow, it's important to pay attention to strengthen the leadership and management teams. Most of our managers are technical and need to become better at people management.

6. "Best Company to Work at in Boston"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After working at a handful of tech-related companies in the Boston area, I believe that CarGurus is hands-down the best one to work at. The company offers tremendous perks and benefits, but also an entrepreneurial, positive culture that has helped me professionally grow.

Cons

The biggest con for the company is that it seems to be having growing pains...while the culture is still present, the company is learning how to keep its startup roots while scaling its business.

7. "SEM Account Executive Interview"

Current Employee - SEM Account Executive in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - SEM Account Executive in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience interviewing with CarGurus was very warm and conversational. I never felt overwhelmed or uncomfortable. The interview flowed well and I did not feel as if I were being interrogated (I've felt this way during other interviews with other organizations). Instead, I was greeted by my recruiting specialist, given a tour of the office and everything felt very organic. The hiring Managers were very personable and approachable. I was given a fair chance to speak on my skills and the transparency from each manager really stood out to me. They were honest and provided answers to any questions that I had. Everything was presented well and I left the interview very pleased with how the team handled the process. There's a reason why the company is doing so well and I am very excited to grow with CarGurus!

Cons

In all honesty, there's not much to complain about. CarGurus is a very lively, yet productive environment. It's just a great place to be.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

8. "New employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process: to the atmosphere of the office and collaboration with everyone I interacted before and after the interview process, was outstanding. I am super excited to be part of the team and can not wait to start in just a week!

Cons

Nothing that I can think of at this time. The interviews were very challenging and I feel proud to be part of the team

9. "Interview Process"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at CarGurus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team, quick responses, the office environment was great, the interview was very informative and straight forward

Cons

As of now there is none

Advice to Management

The company should be more flexible on Salary when it comes with seasoned professionals

10. "Great interview process"

I have been working at CarGurus full-time

Pros

Amazing team, quick responses, fun office, incredible company, competitive pay

Cons

No cons! Love this company.