KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

CarGurus

Engaged Employer

CarGurus

Add a Review

CarGurus Employee Reviews about "free lunch"

Updated Nov 11, 2020

Found 22 of over 238 reviews

3.9
CarGurus CEO Jason Trevisan
Jason Trevisan
Pros
  • "Free lunch, travel covered, gym, monthly happy hours - the list goes on(in 22 reviews)

• "Great perks - Catered lunch, interesting problems to solve, lots of autonomy, great coworkers(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It felt like leadership mentally abandoned our existing product offerings to dealers(in 10 reviews)

• "There are not many cons here at CarGurus, but some areas of improvement would include our work from home policy, which is only two days per month(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "free lunch"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern

Excellent employer, lots of good feedback from management

Nov 11, 2020 - Sales Development Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, free lunch

Cons

Market is becoming saturated, so sales might be getting challenging

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Definitely can't complain

Apr 19, 2020 - Anonymous
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started at CG back when everything was consolidated at 2 Canal. The vibe was second to none, in addition to the perks such as free lunch, T pass/parking paid for, etc. As the company grew, of course there were growing pains which at times were unpleasant but seemed to be resolved quickly. The work was good and my colleagues were some of the best I've had the pleasure of working with. Lastly, the view at 55CP can't be beat when on the Charles-facing side (if at that location)!

Cons

The one con I would have to mention would be management training. Even though the pieces were there, there are still some missing steps in terms of actually training managers to really be empathetic towards their reports. Furthermore there was some slight favoritism which oddly enough, seemed to not exist previously. I'm hoping that things can improve moving forward for the sake of those still there.

3 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for being a part of our team over these past five years and understanding on how there can be growing pains at times. As we continue to grow as a company, we’re always open to feedback, especially as we further develop our Learning and Development programs such as management trainings, professional growth series, and unconscious bias trainings. However, as we strive to make our company a great place to work, we do not tolerate favoritism, in any way whatsoever. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss this with you, feel free to reach me at aeldridge@cargurus.com.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee

Battle of the Brains with No Transparency

Sep 15, 2020 - Human Resources
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunches and snacks Free parking or commuting passes Newer offices

Cons

CG leadership will say anything to gloss over undesirable conversations and to get out of being truly transparent with their employees. Among the employee base there appears to be unification, but beneath the surface it’s a rat race of who is “smarter” than who or who went to the “better” school, and those that have more power seemingly make whatever decision they’d like without truly consulting with their teams.

Chief People Officer

I’m sorry to read this review, especially coming from the People & Talent team. It’s not indicative of the culture and workforce we strive to build and it’s unfortunate to learn you had this experience. We work to eliminate bias in everything we do, especially hiring, through a structured interview process and unconscious bias training for all, but we have a lot room for improvement. If you want to discuss your experiences with me further, feel free to email me anytime at aeldridge@cargurus.com. I wish you all the best in your new role!

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

If you want to be reminded constantly that you are not good enough...... work here!

Nov 7, 2020 - Dealer Account Executive in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great wellness benefits, great technology, free lunch (when we were in the office), fun holiday parties

Cons

If they like you, you’re in and can do no wrong. If they don’t, be prepared to be eating your lunch in the bathroom stall, mean girls style. People don’t leave companies, they leave bad managers. I have seen great people go for lesser opportunities just to be treated with a little respect.

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Branding & Events Specialist

Thanks for leaving this review, although, I’m extremely saddened to hear that this has been your experience at CG. We strive to cultivate and foster a culture of inclusion and belonging and will not stand for intolerant or disrespectful behavior. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss the experiences that you’re referencing and listen to any additional feedback. - Andrea Eldridge, Chief People Officer

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A Place to Survive, not Thrive

Jul 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People: For the most part, folks are intelligent, willing to help, and are great to work with - Openness to change: Culture has gone a long way in the past two years, from the emergence of employee resource groups (ERG)s to the expansion of certain benefits such as WFH - General benefits: Free lunch deserves its own callout, transportation (T-pass or commuter rail), compensation includes equity and bonus, standard tech company fare (drinks, snacks, games, etc.)

Cons

- As you might have read in the other reviews, there is a layer of politicking that happens throughout. Some hires or promotions are the results of favoritism in spite of very problematic qualities. While it's hearsay that nepotism exists, exec leadership has not been upfront in acknowledging it authentically and implementing processes to prevent (very public) hiring messes in the future. Sunlight is the best disinfectant - acknowledging that this is an issue (at least on the surface) is the first step to start solving it. - Lack of psychological safety: transparency is lauded as a core value, but I've seen multiple instances of critical feedback loop back to hurt the employee. As a result, it becomes disadvantageous to your career to speak up against mainstream ideas or hold onto an unpopular opinion. CarGurus is a big company, and I'm sure there are managers who have been able to create this environment for their teams, but I've seen enough examples (especially in engineering) to notice a trend. For this reason alone, I've discouraged developers in my network from applying. - Resistance to (large) change: it might be strange given the pro I listed above, but CarGurus likes to make incremental change even in areas when significant change is needed. The most salient example is the "closing the book" of going from 1 to 2 days WFH a month. Not only is leadership ignoring the needs of employees, but they're also causing CarGurus to lag behind peer tech companies. In practice, many managers ignore this anyway because it doesn't make sense. It makes one wonder if there's some weird incentive to dealerships to encourage more driving. - Poor retention plans: for a company that likes to boast about its compensation, it's baffling that the retention bonuses are so low. Expect inflation-level (or heaven-forbid, 4%) "raises" for great performance with minimal-to-none stock refreshes. I'm not surprised that developer retention is so poor.

6 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for leaving this review. At CarGurus, we continuously work hard to create a safe and inclusive space for all of our employees. Gurus’ mental and physical health are our top priority. We acknowledge that we’re still growing as a company and have a lot of work ahead of us, but there is absolutely no room for favoritism nor any kind of intolerance. I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your concerns. Please reach out to me directly at aeldridge@cargurus.com

6. 2.0

Going downhill fast

Jan 31, 2020 - N/A in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits (free gym, parental leave, free lunch, snacks, coffee, good vacation, 401k match, cool office, beer on tap)

Cons

The company doesn't value many of the employees who work hard, but rather rewards people who certain management likes or has worked with in the past. There are a lot of politics. Not much career advancement available here (unless of course you're a favorite of management, then you get promoted multiple times). The company makes a lot of promises and talks a big game but at the end of the day doesn't deliver.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Horrible hiring process. Hope you don't get a bad roll of the dice!

Aug 8, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunch, high salaries. Technically unlimited PTO but they track it to make you feel guilty about taking it.

Cons

In retrospect, there were a ton of red flags in the hiring process. First, the interviewers were completely disorganized. I don't think any of them had actually looked at my resume, and they certainly didn't coordinate at all. Two of them asked me basically the same question, and one was literally the same question that I had done in the phone screen. Once you're hired, basically you go into a queue and when you start you're put on whatever team has "dibs" on the next people. There's no attempt to match people to their skills or interests. I got on a team that I had no experience for, and they were unwilling to accept a ramp up time, so I was in trouble from day 1 for not being able to contribute fast enough. I tried to get switched to another team and there was no way to do that. If you're on a backend team, you're expected to be available 24/7. The site breaks all the time, so you're literally always working. No mercy if you have any kind of social life outside of work.

6 people found this review helpful

CTO

I appreciate your honest feedback. We are constantly taking feedback such as yours and looking for ways of improving our hiring process. Looks like you caught us on a bad day! When we hire, we attempt to match you up with the team that best suits your skills. If you qualify for multiple teams, we try to match you up with a team that has the greatest need that also matches your interests. Again, this is likely a breakdown in our hiring process and we will look into improvements on that front. Your experience regarding inability to move between teams or the after-hours work commitment don't line up with our culture. I would like to further understand where the disconnect is. Please feel free to reach out to me to discuss further. - Kyle

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Finally, a transparent work environment

Jan 17, 2019 - Marketing Associate in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The transparent work environment, support from senior leadership and perks are just a few of the best things about working here. Each contributor in the company is treated with respect and given open communication with leadership and senior leadership which is great and unique! We are a tech company and have perks that rival the best tech companies out there. We have free lunch, equity in the company, free T pass to work, cold brew tea, coffee and beer on tap, game rooms, awesome swag and more. Seriously, the perks are great but the reason why you should apply is the people. You will be welcomed in as a Guru the first day you start and you will never look back. It's a fun work environment where your peers will become your friends. You will learn something new every day and will be in awe of the people you work with. Work/ life balance is a real thing at CarGurus. We work incredibly hard, but also take all the time we need to recharge outside of work. Doing this is encouraged and supported by leadership here.

Cons

I genuinely have no complaints about working here. I've worked at 3 different companies and couldn't be happier to have landed at this incredible company.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company culture, highly recommend

Apr 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

engaging work environment, free lunch, great people

Cons

honestly can't think of any

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

No PHBs here!

Jun 23, 2015 - Software Developer in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- very smart engineers/developers - work how you want (Windows/OSX/Linux/Eclipse/IntelliJ/C-x M-c M-Butterfly) - no meetings/micro-management; lots of autonomy - free lunch, game room, beer on tap

Cons

- Already a fair amount of cruft/technical debt in the codebase - Most benefits are really great, but we're still missing 401k matching - Sometimes I enjoy myself too much and forget I'm at work

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 Reviews