CarMax Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CarMax President & CEO Bill Nash
Bill Nash

Cons

1. "Micro managed nightmare"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cool people. Room for advancement good pay

Cons

Horrible upper management. Company will save money by making middle management cover multiple departments.

"Home Office - Terrible Experience and Disappointing Corporate Culture"

Former Employee - Executive in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Executive in Richmond, VA

I worked at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only "pro" is the paycheck.

Cons

CarMax's Home Office is an awful environment. The majority of associates are backstabbing and petty. The space is in desperate need of refreshing (your carpet is disgusting), but the company cannot afford to update the office, which is sad and a significant indicator of cash flows issues. The overall HR policy and approach are archaic and non-relevant to today's standards. The average competency level for most associates is devastatingly low; "job skills" are stagnant because folks are neither permitted nor encouraged to move around and develop new strengths or perspectives. Frankly, I personally feel bad for anyone who is stuck at CarMax; most associates feel just that way - "stuck". In reality, almost everyone there would jump at the chance to join another company. The only "happy" associates are the lifers without valuable skill sets who continue to perpetuate the uniquely-terrible corporate culture that has been allowed to take hold and spread throughout the rotting building.

Advice to Management

Force associates to rotate to learn new ways of thinking. Hire fresh, outside talent like your company depends upon it, because it does! Protect newcomers from the cancer that is your legacy employee. The folks that have been there since the Circuit City days are the same "talent" that will sink CarMax, just like it's original parent company.

3. "Rochester Carmax"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochester, NY

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

friendly environment
    lots of advancement opportunities

Cons

Uncompetitive pay
    high level of micromanagement
    high level of favoritism and inconsistency

Advice to Management

Focus more on developing the employees you have than hiring new ones.

"Bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

if you are a student,it is good to work there.

Cons

manager can't talk to some employee.

Advice to Management

work as a team,don't just talk to some people and leave other

"Crap shoot"

Former Employee - RPM in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - RPM in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The associates are truly the best part of working here. I have worked with really cool people in every aspect of the company.

Cons

Work-life balance non existent for management. Your operations manager sets the mood for the work environment. If they are a workaholic, he will expect you to be the same. A lot of the ops managers feel they are above everyone else and non appreciative of good managers.

It really depends on the location you get. Some good ones and some bad.

Advice to Management

Quit managing to a number and listen sometimes

7. "Manager"

Pros

Fantastic working environment supportive senior team opportunity for growth

Cons

Substantial work load hard to schedule time away or allocate developmental time

Advice to Management

Continue supportive development opportunities

"Sales consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

Pros

Good reputation. Buy customers car, good selection at fair prices.

Cons

Pay policy commission unfair. Have to work 60 hrs per week to make a living wage in California.

Advice to Management

Turnover is over 100% reflects satisfaction despite company promoting top places to work.

"Terrorizing production management, corrupt management"

Former Employee - Auto Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Auto Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits if you are single, they offer you all the tools you need to do your job

Cons

The managers putting pressure/terrorizing you to be 100% to 120% efficient even when there is not enough work, but they don't care, all they care is themselves and getting their bonuses if we become more efficient. it;'s like punching you in the face for doing great job, not to mention there is a lot of backstabbing, disrespectful behaviors and no transparency coming from management.

Advice to Management

The Corporate HR must listen to associates more careful, because the best of them are leaving because of those local managers who are very rude, liars, disrespectful bunch of people, terrorizing associates to be 120% efficient even when conditions won't allow managers know when there are slow times for work. The managers even making threats if associates are not 100% efficient like letting them go.

10. "business office associate"

Current Employee - Business Office Associate
    Current Employee - Business Office Associate

I have been working at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there are some great people you work with

Cons

It is evident why the turnover in the business office is over 100%, did not think that was possible! They expect a lot from their employees, more than they pay for the position.

Management is out of touch and even if you say the exact same thing they will tell you how your wrong.

The job description should include "under direct dictation" rather than "with limited supervision".

Advice to Management

Learn to empower your employees and encourage growth

"Pay after training was low. Training not sufficent for daily work."

I worked at CarMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is friendly. It's quick paced and bright. I learned a lot about cars. The managers were nice and helpful even though the environment was quick paced. They do free breakfast and other nice things for employees. On nice days working outside is fun. The other employees for the most part are nice, welcoming. You do get chances to sell because of the line that is formed inside the door as the business opens. The in store management does try to do a good job at inspiring workers. You feel part of the team there right away.

Cons

You have to work in bad weather outside. You may or may not sell anything during a very very long day. Training pays well but afterwards I made very little although I have over 17 years experience in sales. The phone sales are very controlled and you are taped, reviewed, so there is no freedom to be yourself. One co-worker told me he'd been there 9+ years so hard to make a good income he has to still rent a room-that comment told me what I needed to know, and made me quit. Lot of tire kickers, joy riders and people looking for in the end a new car that they hit after wasting hours of your time. One client drove a high powered car extremely fast over a very high ramp, you see this with some joy riders, collectors of high powered cars didn't bother me but may bother some. Sometimes the training program didn't work but you had no time for review later, as pressure to finish is huge. I knew about scratches more than the real day to day stuff I had to do such as paperwork or potential problems to avoid.. Other co-workers hold the good cars with fake "holds" and hoard the cars most people want. There is an element of slick very young guys that isn't friendly to females. There is this odd stand at the door line up you have to do as the business opens that doesn't feel natural. My managers vacation wasn't approved by upper management in front of me for Summer. It was only a week. He didn't cry but was close to it.

Advice to Management

Make the training match the real day to day operations especially the paper work. Upper management needs to reward the store managers more by letting them have vacation etc. -for me that was a real turn off the feeling that my manager wasn't treated well. The pay for working that many hours which is physically difficult should include a small hourly something (some days I came in at 8am and left a 9pm with no pay) The turn over is completely in the hands of the problems mentioned above. Carmax should have many people working there for many years, its a great company in many ways but it has some fatal flaws to the pay and training. The job reminded me of my Nordstrom years, the clients are treated well but the workers are way over worked and not compensated for their time, experience or work. I could sum up the job as exhausting with very low pay after the training. Your employees are great please rethink how they are paid. I wish it had been better for me and I wanted it to work out long term. I hope that management does see this and hears what I'm saying with an open mind. I was disappointed in the company as an employee. What the company could be -and is contains a great divide right now. The potential for the company to be great is there but I got the feeling the upper management knows people will work for the gamble of selling a car and the commission, yet calculating that the overall pay is extremely low for most. The hope is there but its a job based on hope not pay right now for most.

Showing 180 of 1,844 reviews