Cara Operations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Bill Gregson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, discount card for restaurants, beautiful office (with fitness facility), pays well, offers summer hours (in 7 reviews)

• You can learn a lot of different positions and its fairly flexible (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Dying brand, head office are jerks but they're only there on occasion, long hours (but the longer you work the more you make) (in 4 reviews)

• High turnover, they fire people very easily (in 3 reviews)

1. "Director"

I worked at Cara Operations full-time

Pros

Good customer service attitude towards clients

Cons

Management thinks small. Too many people without the proper skills.

Advice to Management

Develop real training opportunities. Hire better talent. Trust your employees

2. "Good company to start with."

I worked at Cara Operations full-time

Pros

The company is very agile in the way it operates. Often changing very quickly. The people that work in the various departments are very friendly. The open office makes it pretty easy to talk to everyone, even all the executives.

Cons

hard to advance, and low pay.

3. "Food service Company in Canada"

I worked at Cara Operations full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Established Company, Good Benefits, Good salary

Cons

Upper Management/ High turnover/ Head office in Vaughan.

4. "Business Manager"

I worked at Cara Operations full-time

Pros

Great place to work! Great manager makes all the difference. Restaurant perks too!

Cons

No Cons. It's a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Bartender/Server"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cara Operations part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good tips, flexible scheduling and time off. Staff are mostly young college students so it was nice to work with people my own age.

Cons

fast staff turn over, depending on the management at the time staff can come and go really fast and its hard to get used to. But thats the restaurant business.

Advice to Management

Take it easy on the staff on busy days. Remember that pleasing the clientele isn't always right and you don't always have to please them. Bad customers shouldn't be welcome back to the restaurant if they are horrible people.

6. "When profit is the bottom line employees are just a number"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Cara Operations part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When it's good, it's good. You want to stay usually for your co-workers. It has the potential to make good money (if management knows how to work the floor- see cons). There's benefits if you're there for x amount of time, which I had and needed since I had an injury at work the previous year.

Cons

My experience drastically took a down turn in my last year of employment (worked there for 3 years). They made all these changes that made employees work more difficult (like taking away a computer and work station in a huge and high-volume location). Management restructuring has impacted the workings of the floor (poor sections cuts, poor cutting choices). What used to be simple manager jobs, they stopped doing (assigning and following up with employees on side duties) making it the work of the more senior staff's job to pick up the slack. No matter how many times issues like this was brought up by various staff, nothing changed. They stopped communicating with me for 3 weeks before firing me, not letting me work; firing me over a policy that doesn't exist - they couldn't produce a document that outlined this policy. And there are 6 people currently working at my location who, based on this "policy" that's not policy, shouldn't be allowed to work there. I was really good at my job and my sales were always within the tops of the workers, and most of the senior staff protested. Cara doesn't want to pay their management competitive wages so they've since upped tip-out to 5.5% with an additional 3% if you work a party that a new team member booked. They walk on the border-line of ethical work practices and taking advantage of their workers who don't want to lose their jobs.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your role and how it affects employees. Your job is literally to communicate and manage your employees and your guests. Between all 7 members of the management team, not one wanted to do that simple part of your job. If you are unable to communicate and manage, you should not be in your position. Sometimes you have to have difficult conversations. It is much, much better when you have honest and direct conversations. Instead of harping on your good and loyal employees, training your new staff properly would solve a lot of the issues you are having in-house. Also, stop blaming your front of house staff for your sales not being high. The changes Cara has made to the restaurant like poor quality food items to save a couple bucks has chased a lot of our long-time regulars away because you've chosen to save a dollar instead of indulge the guests. They noticed. Your front-line workers can't prevent that. My job in the last 4 months of my employment was constant damage control.

7. "Order Taking Representative"

I worked at Cara Operations part-time

Pros

-Simple job
    - friendly people
    - good amount of hours

Cons

-not too much communication with coworkers (constantly on the phone)
    -can get repetitive and boring to sit all day

8. "Bartender"

Pros

You have the flexibility of choosing your shifts since most restaurants are overstaffed due to the amount of students working there. Therefore there is always someone willing to pick up your shift.

Cons

Management is a joke. Franchisees are horrible. Food quality and health standards are ridiculously low. No stability.

Advice to Management

Do your job.

9. "Kitchen manager"

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cara Operations full-time

Pros

They are a leading competitor in the hospitality industry. Very consistent with brand reconization across the country.

Cons

Long hours. No time for yourself or home life. Large hourly staff turn over. Hard to hire new staff

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Create incentives to keep managers engaged. Simply apreatiob for employees can go a long way

10. "Stay away from the franchised locations!"

Former Employee - Manager, Guest Experience
    Former Employee - Manager, Guest Experience

I worked at Cara Operations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brand is good. Very good training. Most corporate locations are better to work at. The current Corp chef is very good.

Cons

Uniforms look like they should be for Montana's. Lots of guests comment on how the black looked classier. Some of the franchise locations are poorly managed. Payroll is a nightmare. Good luck getting stat or holiday pay.

Advice to Management

Need more control over the franchisees . Maybe have regional manager do one on one's with the associates to get some real feed back. Exit interviews should be done for any employees that have worked over 2 years, especially management. More audits?