Carbon Black Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Carbon Black President & CEO Patrick Morley
Patrick Morley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture - everyone is friendly and wants everyone else to succeed (in 7 reviews)

• Carbon Black has shown that I have a career and that they will do what they can to help me achieve my goals (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of 401k matching is a huge let down (in 8 reviews)

• While we have a great work-life balance, we do work long hours building a GREAT company (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Well run company with meaningful products"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow cyber security knowledge which is in high demand
    Remote work opportunities - Large remote contingent means your not "That person on the phone" because everyone is one video conference and Slack (mostly level playing field for remote employees)
    Working with a great team
    The executive team seems to really be on the ball
    Has a great mission and really works towards it - "A world safe from cyber attacks!"
    Very low BS. As CEO says, "We need to reduce the friction" and they follow through on it.

Cons

Mountain of technical debt
    CI/CD is maturing, but has a long way to go
    Whiny millenials

Advice to Management

Keep the level of friction low as the company continues to quickly grow.
    Don't let investors ruin a great company and culture.
    Get developers talking to users more.

"Lots of potential, but lacks strong technical leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Carbon Black full-time

Pros

- Great work life balance and respect for the employee.
    - Interesting problem domain

Cons

- Lack of long term technical vision
    - Micromanagement via agile
    - Disconnect between engineering and top leadership
    - Too many managers

Feb 8, 2018 – Carbon Black

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your feedback on our work-life balance and some of the challenges that have come with our agile transformation. With any large change, there will... More

"Interview for Carbon Black"

Current Employee - Sda in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Sda in Remote, OR

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company attitude and work flow

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing it is a great fit.

"Great Company to Kick Start your Career"

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time

Pros

Best in class training program
    A lot of opportunity for growth
    Great work environment

Cons

I don't have any, the only thing that can be difficult is the traffic depending on the hours that you work and where you live.

Dec 14, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thanks so much for your review. It’s great to hear that you have taken advantage of our training programs. We’re really proud of the employees who built these trainings, as they have helped a ton of... More

5. "SDET interview"

Current Employee - Software Developer - Test in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer - Test in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black (More than a year)

Pros

Technically interesting product, fair and open management style, competitive salary.

Cons

Commute into Winter St. Waltham is tedious.

"Very refreshing place to work"

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time

Pros

I find the honesty and transparency from the top is what sets us apart. It's very refreshing to have access to the top leaders in the company and for those leaders to spend as much time as they do listening to what's really going on so they can help and be part of the solution. Feels like a real team.

Cons

Things change quickly here. You have to be willing to work at a fast clip and not always having the latest and greatest information.

Advice to Management

Over communicate. Even if you think we all know what's going on, spend more time communicating to make sure we really have the information we need to be successful.

Nov 14, 2017 – Carbon Black

Hi there! Thanks for the review. It's great to know that you sense a level of transparency. For growing organizations, this isn't always easy to accomplish. We hope the quarterly meetings, monthly... More

7. "Hot Market, Hot Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture is top notch. Everyone is working toward the same end goal and wants to succeed as an individual and an organization. The leadership team is strong and CEO shockingly knows the name of almost everyone at the company- pretty impressive. Great programs for emerging leaders and top notch sales training program.

Cons

Growing fast results in growing pains- lots to do and lots to prove we can win the market. Waltham (headquarters) may not be the most attractive location for some but the culture and people make it worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue to share what's going on at the top and hold people accountable for open communication.

"No. Just....No."

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really cool people here. The technology is the best. There are also perks if you work in the corporate office like snacks, bagels every Monday, access to a gym, etc.

Cons

When I started there was an exciting energy at Cb which has drastically changed over the past year. Pay and benefits are seriously lacking. Processes are sloppy and inconsistent. The company caters much more towards young employees vs offering appropriate growth or promotions to people that have been in their career for a while (I'm assuming this correlates with the pay/benefits). Communication is awful -

Advice to Management

What are you guys doing? This company has so much potential. You have an abundance of smart, resourceful employees that are feeling neglected. Morale is low.... you know it and we know it so please address it (and give us a plan on how it will improve). 2018 wont be a great year for the company (or our customers) if a lot of people quit and at this point many of us are looking for a reason to stay....

Nov 14, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback you’ve left us and would like the opportunity to address them more directly. If you haven’t already contacted your HR Business Partner, we... More

"seemed great, but just ok"

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work from home, good pay, good benefits, access to the best tools (software, hardware, etc), some great people to work with

Cons

fast paced, short-sighted management, some very toxic managers who bully and abuse employees, work life balance doesn't really exist, no clear or steady vision that allows employees to work toward something long term, management micromanages and focuses on speed instead of quality, no trust of employees' abilities. Feels like you're a call center rep instead of a seasoned professional.

Advice to Management

learn about leadership - developing the talents of employees and positioning themselves for success. Trust the expertise of those you hired for their expertise - stop second guessing them and creating obstacles for them. Stop micromanaging. Stop manipulating. Stop condescending. Stop setting traps for your employees.

Oct 31, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback. We’re happy to hear you are enjoying some of the benefits/perks we offer and the people you work with. As for your... More

"Sales/Business Operations"

Former Employee - Sales/Business Operations
    Former Employee - Sales/Business Operations

I worked at Carbon Black full-time

Pros

Company is growing fast and dominating their industry. They have great leaders in key departments, except for Operations, that are needed for the company to succeed. Best advice is if you are a talented Analyst or Operations professional, stay away from this company!

Cons

Operations team is a weight around the Sales Team's neck. Wrong people in operations management at every level. If you care, or have career advancement aspirations, stay away from this team. Career advancement is a joke and does not exist. None of the employees in this group have any faith or confidence the leadership. If you doubt this claim, ask a recruiter or anyone who is a part of this team why when the company conducted internal reviews of management teams in 2017, the operations management team scored lower than every other management team across the entire company.

Advice to Management

If you care about attracting and retaining top talent, Start hiring people who actually have credible experience successfully managing people in a hyper-growth company. Stop hiring/allowing people to continue to operate in management positions on the operations team that aren't capable of managing themselves, let alone other people. The new CRO needs remove the current management team and bring in competent replacements to steam the exodus of great sales reps.