Carbon Black Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carbon Black President & CEO Patrick Morley
Patrick Morley

Pros
  • Lots of smart people with low egos (in 5 reviews)

• Flexible work environment and very results-oriented management (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing fast always means growing pains but that (in 5 reviews)

• While we have a great work-life balance, we do work long hours building a GREAT company (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Top Notch Company"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't been working at Carbon Black for very long, but I already love it. Everyone is super nice and helpful. This is probably due to their "no a-holes" hiring policy. The work is a lot of fun, and the offices are great. They also have a great product. I see aggressive growth in Carbon Black's future.

One huge plus is the flexible hours and vacation. Even as a new graduate, I was given the opportunity to work from home with my own hours.

Another bonus is that you don't have much (or any) corporate red tape with regards to the organizational structure. I feel like I can talk to anyone in the company without getting flak for bothering someone "above my station". Everyone in the C-level positions who I've talked to is very outgoing. The CEO and a few of the other higher-ups have even put in effort to meet me and remember my name even though I'm probably at the lowest rung of the 700+ person company. It has a very "startup" feel in that sense.

I couldn't imagine enjoying a company more. If you get the opportunity to work here, I would take it. I hope my opinion on the company doesn't change over the next couple years. If it does, I will update this review accordingly. I don't anticipate it changing though.

Cons

They buy red delicious and granny smith apples instead of superior types such as Gala or Honeycrisp. That's literally my only complaint. I'm surprised if CB doesn't win "best place to work" this year and in subsequent years.

A nice to have would be more happy hours. We have happy hours about every month to meet the new hires. It would be cool to have one every Friday though.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You've built up a great company, and I see it winning an overwhelming majority of the NGAV market in a few years. I'll do whatever I can to help make that happen.

2. "Leader in the Industry"

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Fearless leadership
    -Best-of-Bread training
    -Support to advance your career

Cons

Nothing yet, all good in Waltham!

"Has the Flailing Begun?"

Current Employee - SDR in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - SDR in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are very committed to the company.

Cons

Benefits are not good - insurance is expensive. No company match on the 401(k). "Unlimited" vacation is simply a way for the company to not have an accrued vacation liability.

It seems that the company may have lost direction. R&D no longer exists. Several high level executives in charge of the company's strategy have left as well as executives on the product side.

This is a "drink the Kool-Aid" culture. If that is for you you'll thrive here. If you are not a joiner or impressed by swag and festive company meetings, this might not be the place for you.

Jan 12, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thank you for your review. As a growing company, we’re always looking to improve our offerings for our employees. We appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback and we’ll take this under ... More

"Downhill fast"

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time

Pros

There aren't many pros left at this point, the product is still good, but the culture has been declining for months, and there is no sense of urgency to turn it around.

Cons

-'unlimited PTO' is code for 'no PTO'
    -lower wages compared to other companies in the area
    -inconsistent/poor management
    -limited career growth potential

Advice to Management

Serious consideration needs to be given to keeping salaries fair/competitive, and the PTO policy should be looked into to ensure employees can actually take time off when needed.

Jan 31, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thank you for your review. We believe HR and your management team could address your concerns if you share this experience with them. With fast growth, there are always a few bumps along the way ... More

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Transparent management team
    - Upward potential - 30% of employees promoted in 2015
    - Great culture - everyone is friendly and wants everyone else to succeed
    - Hot product - security space is hot and growing - everyone knows security is a concern so it's not difficult to create value-prop

Cons

- None I can think of

Advice to Management

keep it up!

7. "Endpoint security is here!"

Pros

Great products which provide visibility into what is truly going on in your environment and Root Cause of an incident.

Cons

Being in the tornado of hyper-growth

8. "Visionary in the info security space"

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Carbon Black thrives in a work hard, play hard environment as we grow from a strong market position into a leading position in a bigger market. Honesty, candor, and a can do spirit are the underlying forces that drive the company as we grow and evolve into a strong mid-sized company.

Cons

Growing pains manifest themselves on a month-to-month or quarter-by-quarter basis because we are collectively learning to communicate differently as we grow. 1:1 communication is excellent and team leads and managers are emerging to represent and communicate group needs and goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate, communicate, communicate.

Nov 22, 2016 – Carbon Black

Thank you so much for your review! We agree that employees who have honesty and a can-do spirit are what drives this company forward. We couldn’t have made it this far or been this successful without ... More

9. "Great Things are Happening"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Carbon Black is going through extreme growth with a lot of positive things on the horizon. We have amazing talent, personable and trustworthy leaders, and products that are respected in the market. Our people are the best and will always go the extra mile to help one another out and provide impressive service for our customers. On top of that, the company has built and maintained a fun and inclusive culture so hard working employees can take a break, celebrate, and enjoy each other’s company.

Cons

Growing fast always means growing pains but that’s to be expected. In comparison to other companies I’ve worked at with similar situations, Carbon Black seems to have it together. They are managing/fixing issues as they arise to build a stronger future rather than just tucking it under the rug. The recruiting team is also finding top talent to fill any gaps and make sure we’re not understaffed. And as mentioned before, we have great people here who are willing to step up to get things done as we navigate through the growth.

Advice to Management

Keep recognizing your employees and provide positive reinforcement. Growth and change can be tough and people can get too busy to take a moment to appreciate the hard work everyone is doing. Don’t let that slip away as we continue to move forward.

10. "Lots to learn"

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots to learn. My manager is great. She keeps giving me more opportunities to take on more and so far so good. I appreciate the trust she has placed in me. The company emphasizes giving people honest feedback and helping people learn. For someone who's looking to grow quickly this has really been the best part so far. Lots of company events, social stuff and other elements to bring us together. which for me is really important. Overall - really great experience and the company really seems to care about us.

Cons

With so much growth, sometimes I feel like I'm not always in the know about what's happening. They seem to be investing more in communications, but it is something that I think will always be a challenge in a company growing this fast.

Advice to Management

Invest more in career paths, training and development. You can't go wrong if you keep putting your money where your mouth is.

Nov 22, 2016 – Carbon Black

Thank you for your review. We’re proud to hear that you believe your manager and the company are working to give you opportunities that will help you move forward professionally. We truly have ... More

11. "Excellent leadership & a great company to be working for!"

Pros

The people and the products. It's nice to work for a company where you care about what you're selling and learning from others everyday at every level.

Cons

I don't have any real cons that come to mind. We're growing so fast that sometimes it get get overwhelming, but everyone is at the company for all the right reasons.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating like you do.

Sep 30, 2016 – Carbon Black

Thanks for your review! We appreciate your insight. It’s been exciting to see all the changes and growth Carbon Black has endured during the last few years and it’s completely understandable that at ... More