Carbon Black Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Carbon Black President & CEO Patrick Morley
Patrick Morley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture - everyone is friendly and wants everyone else to succeed (in 7 reviews)

• Carbon Black has shown that I have a career and that they will do what they can to help me achieve my goals (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of 401k matching is a huge let down (in 8 reviews)

• Growing fast always means growing pains but that (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Waltham, MA

Pros

They care about their employees, very laid back environment, fun, start up culture, growing quickly, competitive pay, great people, room for growth, flexible time off (take it as you need it).

Cons

I really don't have any, I actually love my job. For most people working in Waltham kind of stinks because traffic is bad but depending on your territory, you might come in at hours where traffic doesn't affect you

2. "Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Holden, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Holden, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have a Great Culture and working environment. Lots of room to grow within the company. They treat their employees very well.

Cons

Rapidly Growing so it cane take some getting used to with all the changes. Also there are always new faces and new roles that you have to learn and understand their fit within the company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

3. "good company to work for"

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The vast majority of the executive staff is fantastic. I feel like it is very rare that I can walk up to a CEO and have a conversation with them.
    - They do a good job of informing us of changes in the org
    - The overall culture is great
    - When we do get together for company meetings (as in, fly to the office), everyone is insanely friendly. I have a blast every time
    - Unlimited vacation (within reason) is awesome and something that takes a ton of stress away from vacation

Cons

- As a remote employee, I find it extremely hard to make any career changes or career growth. I understand this may be a general thing for all companies, but it is frustrating
    - When voicing my desire to go down a certain career path, I get little to no assistance from management
    - Lack of 401k matching is a huge let down
    - No education reimbursement is also a bit sad

Advice to Management

- Add some additional benefits, specifically 401k matching.
    - Help employees reach career goals

Aug 22, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thanks so much for your review! We’re happy to hear you’ve enjoyed working at Carbon Black for the last five years and have recognized the things that make up the company culture we’re proud of. As... More

"BEST Company -- ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing culture. Culture doesn't just mean having a game room with ping pong and Wii, or scattered living room spaces with modern couches, and snazzy movable stand-up desks. That's just the physical office. CULTURE is about people.
    Not just the people who work beside you in your department, or the people who report to you, or the peopl you report to; it's the people from other departments who answer questions and provide input you need to get projects done, and collaborate with you to tackle challenging problems. It's the smiling and friendly faces you see as fellow employees fill their coffee cups, grab lunch outside on the patio, even if they're stressed and have only had a chance to eat at their desk all week. Happy people. You cannot put a price tag on happiness and it's contagious. Love coming to work every day!

Cons

-Exciting to contribute to a product that is better than rest of the competition but this also leads to a lot of stress / greater demands on employees to perform

Advice to Management

-Keep up the great work!
    -Continue to motivate employees through recognition and appreciation on a regular basis.

"Mostly Amazing"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture and management, at least within the Engineering organization, are excellent. There is a strong push from the top down to make sure employees are not burning themselves out or overly stressed. "Unlimited PTO" sounded like a great way to pressure people to take less; but I've had management come out and tell me I need to take a break and that I wasn't using anywhere near enough.

There is a constant push to train and help employees grow, and it would take a lot for me to leave the company.

Cons

The culture is *very* dependent on management, and where you fall within the organization. Engineering as a whole seems top notch, hiring great people and attracting management that cares about its people.

I've heard and witnessed the opposite from some other teams, where it seems a few problems managers have found their way into a management position and are making things far worse.

Salary seems to vary a bit too much. Some people are hitting above market rate, while others are quite a bit below.

No 401K match is a bit painful.

Advice to Management

Recognize the great culture you've built in parts of the organization, and focus on fixing the problem areas. I've seen far too many great people leave the company because of poor management, who were even able to block transfers to different teams/groups.

Jun 19, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thank you for your review! We’re happy to hear that you find our culture and management to be favorable. With growth and change, many companies can find it difficult to keep these things intact but... More

6. "this place is an amazing company to work for"

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great environment, Great people, great company

Cons

Lots of goals to meet. sometimes impossible

"Surrounded by best in class people / systems - rapid growth"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All folks seem top notch - executives are very approachable. Very modern facility. Enterprise software is very current. Impressed with the transparent culture. Employees move around job functions with ease where desired. Free snacks in Waltham Office

Cons

Open floor plan lacking privacy is the only thing I can think of.

"Has the Flailing Begun?"

Current Employee - SDR in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - SDR in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are very committed to the company.

Cons

Benefits are not good - insurance is expensive. No company match on the 401(k). "Unlimited" vacation is simply a way for the company to not have an accrued vacation liability.

It seems that the company may have lost direction. R&D no longer exists. Several high level executives in charge of the company's strategy have left as well as executives on the product side.

This is a "drink the Kool-Aid" culture. If that is for you you'll thrive here. If you are not a joiner or impressed by swag and festive company meetings, this might not be the place for you.

Jan 12, 2017 – Carbon Black

Thank you for your review. As a growing company, we’re always looking to improve our offerings for our employees. We appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback and we’ll take this under... More

"A Top Notch Company"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't been working at Carbon Black for very long, but I already love it. Everyone is super nice and helpful. This is probably due to their "no a-holes" hiring policy. The work is a lot of fun, and the offices are great. They also have a great product. I see aggressive growth in Carbon Black's future.

One huge plus is the flexible hours and vacation. Even as a new graduate, I was given the opportunity to work from home with my own hours.

Another bonus is that you don't have much (or any) corporate red tape with regards to the organizational structure. I feel like I can talk to anyone in the company without getting flak for bothering someone "above my station". Everyone in the C-level positions who I've talked to is very outgoing. The CEO and a few of the other higher-ups have even put in effort to meet me and remember my name even though I'm probably at the lowest rung of the 700+ person company. It has a very "startup" feel in that sense.

I couldn't imagine enjoying a company more. If you get the opportunity to work here, I would take it. I hope my opinion on the company doesn't change over the next couple years. If it does, I will update this review accordingly. I don't anticipate it changing though.

Cons

They buy red delicious and granny smith apples instead of superior types such as Gala or Honeycrisp. That's literally my only complaint. I'm surprised if CB doesn't win "best place to work" this year and in subsequent years.

A nice to have would be more happy hours. We have happy hours about every month to meet the new hires. It would be cool to have one every Friday though.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You've built up a great company, and I see it winning an overwhelming majority of the NGAV market in a few years. I'll do whatever I can to help make that happen.

10. "Leader in the Industry"

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Fearless leadership
    -Best-of-Bread training
    -Support to advance your career

Cons

Nothing yet, all good in Waltham!