Carbon Black Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2020

3.6
Carbon Black President and CEO Patrick Morley
Patrick Morley
Pros
  • "My work/life balance is incredible and they have a rockstar group of managers(in 11 reviews)

• "great culture, a lot of opportunities for growth, work/life balance was good, learned a lot(in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Healthy & Growing Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time for more than a year

Pros

My work/life balance is incredible and they have a rockstar group of managers.

Cons

Internal processes can get in the way of moving fast.

Carbon Black2019-08-23
  2. "Superlative CEO, Opportunity to Leverage Acquisition to Cut Fat, Drive Productive Change"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Excellent individual contributors - Excellent HQ office - Excellent perks in office (cold brew, snacks, beer) - Excellent CEO & VP-level leadership (inside sales) - Best endpoint product within the marketplace

Cons

- Executive leadership vocalizes importance of transparency but does not drive this emphasis downward through chain of command - Sub-market pay (may be specific to inside sales) - General unwillingness to change broken processes that obstruct revenue growth. - We have a lot of highly-paid employees who are not measured effectively and thus the value of their contributions cannot be quantified. Some of this $ could be better spent. I am very embarrased to quote Donald Trump, but we need to 'drain the swamp.'

Carbon Black2019-11-17
  3. "Bit9+Carbon Black was a great experience"

Former Employee - Recruitment Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbon Black full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hard working people and exciting growth

Cons

VMWare acquisition seriously changed culture

Carbon Black2020-04-29
  4. "Fast growing cloud company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at Carbon Black full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of smart engineers, and was successful in integrating new acquisitions that led to successful IPO in 2018.

Cons

Not a fan of the big room planning every quarter. It was a lot of ceremonies and wasted time to practice agile.

Carbon Black2020-02-09

"Have fallen really far behind on tech"

2.0
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, decent pay, good work-life balance (no real expectation of nights/weekends), solid benefits

Cons

It’s been really disappointing to watch the company grow by acquisition instead of by innovating/building. And the acquired products to this day are on different platforms with different agents. Spending all this time assimilating acquired tech has put us WAY behind competitors. Even competitors 1/3 our employee size have better tech and more innovative features and roadmap. We were also a few years late to the cloud which really set us back. We’ve accumulated massive technical debt. The latest Gartner MQ was a cold splash of reality. Getting acquired by VMware was the right move but it will most likely make the tech innovation problem worse, not better, because so much Engineering time will need to be spent connecting CB products to VMware’s products (despite customers not having shown demand for that over the years). I’ve been here awhile now but I can’t in good faith recommend working here IF the quality of the tech matters to you. For some roles that may be irrelevant.

Carbon Black2020-01-01

January 3, 2020Carbon Black

Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear these concerns but we hope you'll find the acquisition by VMware will accelerate our efforts to disrupt the cybersecurity market. We're very excited to have these additional resources to support our R&D teams and innovations. Thank you for all you've done to support Carbon Black and our products over the years.

6. "Excellent Talent, Disengaged Management"

2.0
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time for more than a year

Pros

High level of freedom and awesome problems and challenges

Cons

Executive decisions circle around shareholder pleasure

Carbon Black2019-12-03
  7. "Eh"

I worked at Carbon Black full-time for less than a year

Pros

For the most part, great culture of individual people. Good benefits, relaxed hours, casual office.

Cons

Company said it was looking to change certain aspects of its process, but that wasn't quite true.

Carbon Black2019-10-29

"Somewhat good company"

I worked at Carbon Black full-time for less than a year

Pros

Snack bar and relatively good coffee plus soda machine

Cons

No diversity to speak off.

Carbon Black2019-10-10

October 21, 2019Carbon Black

Thank you so much for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you weren't able to take advantage of some of our newer diversity initiatives during your time at Carbon Black. Although we started with women-focused efforts, we've been working on expanding to other areas to support all of our employees. We're proud of what we've accomplished these last few years and are excited about our new offerings in months to come. Best of luck in your new role!

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Associate Site Reliability Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has good culture. The people, for the most part, are excellent: kind, intelligent, hard working

Cons

Work life balance suffers due to on-call.

Carbon Black2019-08-23

August 30, 2019Carbon Black

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your dedication and commitment to Carbon Black, and are glad to hear you like the culture and the people. We pride ourselves on both of these and are always looking for ways to protect the culture and hire great people.

"Run away from joining the "security division" of the new VMWare"

1.0
    Current Employee - Executive in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Carbon Black full-time for more than a year

Pros

can't think of any - poorly run company sold for pennies on the dollar after years of mismanagement

Cons

* Made sure only a few people (Executive Management) received any meaningful equity * Merger has been a mess * Managers and workers have been misled concerning bonuses and new healthcare plans * No one is getting paid(retention bonuses) for doing both their jobs and the integration work

Carbon Black2019-10-08