Carbonite Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Carbonite Engineer Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2020

Carbonite Interim CEO and President Executive Chairman of the Board Steve Munford (no image)
Steve Munford
  1. "Great place to work in Boston!"

Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good compensation Great support from HR and Management Great Engineering Team Free snacks, coffee in the kitchen area Beer once a month Free lunch on Fridays Free breakfast on Mondays When I started Carbonite on early 2015 it was a small company. Since then Carbonite has grown exponentially through acquisitions and organic growth both. The team I think tripled in size when I was there. There was significant increase in the stock price as well. Carbonite is a great place to understand basic technology, how a technology shop works, what the processes and tools, methods etc are available and so on. Like any engineering shop you will deal with both cutting edge stuff and dinosaurs and everything in between. Carbonite tries to be customer focused and there are different priorities at different times that you will have to learn how to shuffle... that comes with the territory. Management is supportive, but I sometimes felt that the Engineering team as a whole was not as involved in decision making process as much as it could have been, but then again different companies have different criteria. The compensation is very competitive. Stock options, benefits, quarterly bonuses are very competitive for a company of Carbonites size. The HR team is excellent and rocks! As a foreign national, they helped me through all of my paperwork and also during rocky transition phases when I was between visas. The HR team treats you like a human as opposed to just a employee ID (which can happen in some of the bigger names). The outside immigration law firm that works with Carbonite are very professional and they know what they're doing, treat you with respect and sensitivity along the process and will guide you realistically. It was a pleasure to work with them. Overall, a good place to work. Carbonite will be around for a while and there is so much to learn. I enjoyed my tenure here and made some very good friends.

Cons

Since they provide a single type of service, sometimes you will feel scope limited on the type of work.

Advice to Management

Do not neglect/forget the Safe product line

Carbonite2019-11-05

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, Benefits and Work / Life Balance

Cons

Questionable management decisions at time

Carbonite2019-11-14
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Terrible place to work, no future, company encouraging fake positive reviews on glassdoor"

Current Employee - Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of good people (Although most have now left or are leaving)

Cons

Carbonite is actively encouraging employees to fake positive reviews on Glassdoor. Please beware of recent 5 star reviews. There is an internal campaign to entice current employees to post positive reviews in an effort to fix their bad image, rather than to fix the actual issues. If you look at the history of reviews, you can see a consistent trending average below 3/5, until recently, where reviews artificially spiked to bring the average up. This activity is extremely unethical. Carbonite has no future. They are in a dying industry that have a few cash cow products, which is the only reason Carbonite will avoid going out of business in the next couple of years. The company has no vision for the future. The previous CEO left after several failed attempts of acquiring smaller companies in order to create artificial growth. In addition to that, there are ongoing lawsuits alleging that the company misled shareholders over it's failed VM backup product. Leadership is weak. There is no direction and so much uncertainty. Recently there have been major changes within operations which caused a ton of very good talent to leave. Many people who had been with the company for almost a decade have left in the last few months. Those who haven't left are looking to leave. Friends and colleagues who have left are viewed as the lucky ones. Management is now plagued by unethical behavior, poor decision making, narcissism, and the inability or unwillingness to listen to employees. This has led to a very negative culture. People are depressed. Those without a network outside of Carbonite feel trapped. Turnover is insanely high for highly skilled engineering positions, and yet there has been no real effort to address it. Operations is suffering from the mass exodus of talent. There are entire environments that nobody knows how to manage anymore. I used to love working here. Less than a year ago, this was a great place to work, despite a lackluster company outlook. For numerous reasons, most relating to current management, almost all of the top talent has left.

Advice to Management

Current management has ignored any constructive advice so I don't see the point in offering suggestions. They desperately need to listen to their remaining talent and actively make changes to try and retain the few long term employees that for whatever reason haven't left yet. However, I think the ship has sailed on recovering from the damage that is already done.

Carbonite2019-10-31

"Too little, too late"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

"Free snacks" and fairly good benefits.

Cons

The company has been on a downward trend for almost a decade. It started in EVault, which was then shifted to Seagate, and then sold to Carbonite. Carbonite then turned things around initially for profitability but did little to actually fix the product or the teams that were toxic to the organization. Finally, they started propping up products that really had not been vetting or tested in true use cases. Re-org after Re-org, RIF after RIF, out of touch leaders time and time again. The last nail in the coffin is the shareholder lawsuits and FTC investigations. Maybe webroot can right the ship, but they'll have to re-write old code and re-staff the company.

Advice to Management

Don't trust the remaining carb leaders, pull in new leadership that knows how to bring old code to modern levels and remove toxic people. Fiercely defend profitability and honest share holder reporting.

Carbonite2019-11-07

"Good co-workers but terrible management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The co-workers are great to work with, smart and very helpful. Decent benefits.

Cons

The management is terrible. They are mico-managing. The managers keep getting promotions and raises while individual contributors who do the actual work barely get any promotions or any appreciation.

Advice to Management

Support and appreciate the engineers who do the actual work rather than the managers

Carbonite2019-09-09
  7. "The Force is strong with this one."

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for less than a year

Pros

● They value diversity and the strength it brings to the table. ● Competitive wages. ● Pretty good insurance. ● Catered meals: breakfast on Mondays, lunch on Fridays. ● They celebrate holidays that I've never even heard of. ● Lots of opportunity for self-growth. ● Strong culture of teamwork among your colleagues. ● Drinks once or twice every month, wine, beer, wine coolers, etc. ● Managers are pretty great, straight-forward, easy to relate to, positive, and try their best to help you do your job your best. ● Company asks employees to fill out employee satisfaction surveys every quarter to allow employees to identify things that are going well and going not so well with the company. You get to rate your managers as well. ● Brand new, remodeled floor. ● You could fit a Starship Destroyer in the break room. ● Bathrooms are cleaned multiple times daily. ● Plenty of snacks and drinks for you to get fat on. ● We've got one of those coffee machines that makes like 10 different kinds of coffee beverages. ● Fresh fruit: Apples, oranges, bananas, pears, lemons (?) ● Assorted cereals for breakfast. ● Lots of free parking. ● 100" TV in the break / training room. Tons of flat panel TV's everywhere. ● Pretty fast workstations to work on. ● You get at least 2 monitors, most have 3, some have 4. I saw one person with 6. ● Adjustable motorized standing desks. ● You get your own lockable drawers and a half-height closet locker, also lockable. ● Very nice, comfy, Plantronics BT headset. ● Free Wi-Fi. ● Everything is Star Wars themed! ● We got the top floor of the building, amazing views all around. ● Nap room. ● Two nap rooms, actually. ● Training room that fits probably 75-100 people. ● Pool table, foosball table, ping pong table, arcade games in the break room. ● All kinds of dairy and non-dairy stuff (almond/coconut milk) to put in your cereal / coffee - organic to boot! ● LGBTQ friendly workplace. ● People with disabilities friendly workplace. You won't be stuck on the top floor when the fire alarm goes off and the elevators automatically shut down. ● Very little office politics and BS like that. ● They will pay for your certifications. ● Hard work is generally recognized and rewarded. ● Our tech support tools generally work well but it's not perfect. ● Health benefits start on Day 1. ● Easy to rack up lots of PTO. ● Salaried employees get unlimited PTO. ● Zero tolerance policy towards intolerance/harassment. ● Team building events several times a year, like golf tournament, pool tournament, etc. with gift cards as prizes. ● Monthly opportunities to win gift cards. ● Mentorship emphasized in our corporate culture.

Cons

● Heard one person automated themself out of a job. ● There are some slackers that seem to get away with slacking off, not carrying their own weight. ● I never feel like my job is safe here or that there's any loyalty to their employees. ● Nobody is safe here, don't get too comfortable. ● Not enough men's restrooms. We have probably 150 employees with about 75% of them being male and 1 bathroom. Do the math. ● They could be more diverse with hiring qualified women but this is something every tech company suffers from. ● Too much soda pop! Would like to see more non-sugar drink options. Not sugar-free (ie, with sugar substitute), I mean no sweeteners at all. ● Our chairs are new, but they look better than they feel comfortable. ● Nothing to rave about our keyboards and mice. ● Wish we had wrist and mouse rests, carpal tunnel is a thing! ● People always getting sick around here, flu/colds/etc. ● Product knowledge is deep and complex, you'll still feel like a noob after 6mos. ● We kind of don't have a CEO right now. I really liked Mo. ● There are a few know-it-all bossy types that need to take it down a notch. ● Wish we had more fruit and veggie options. ● They took away all of our Nerf guns. ● Wish they were more centrally located or located in Silicon Slopes. There's a synergistic energy out there.

Advice to Management

My review isn't long enough already?

Carbonite2019-09-06

"Going to private equity abandon ship!"

Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite

Pros

Boston office is newer. They will feed you, the office is near the T which rarely works so thats not really even a pro...thats it I think.

Cons

This company has been used as a cash cow for greedy executives at the cost of employees and investors. They really ought to be in jail cells together and might end up that way.

Advice to Management

Advice to whoever buys this company. Two words. Clean house. Fire every single director and executive and start over with competant and professional business people.

Carbonite2019-09-09

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company and engineering teams.

Cons

Sometimes there are miscommunications across teams but nothing too crazy

Carbonite2019-06-06
  10. "A Great Place to Learn"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Co-Op in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite for less than a year

Pros

You get treated as a full time employee as an intern, and I learned so much because of that. The culture is laid back and you got all the benefits of working at a tech company. Beyond that the people were really what made it such a great experience for me.

Cons

Not a con but it would've been great if the snack bar rotated its selection once a while :)

Carbonite2019-03-21

"Good company to work for...just not in support"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks Great culture Awesome break room Pay is good

Cons

Management doesnt listen Not a whole lot of room for growth in support

Advice to Management

Set better expectations

Carbonite2019-03-13