Carbonite Reviews | Glassdoor

Carbonite President & CEO Mohamad Ali
Mohamad Ali

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Every change upper management has done has been to cut costs and take it from employees while the people doing the cuts talk about their penthouses" (in 12 reviews)

• "The company is outsourcing a lot of the call center work, and as such our location is shrinking" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Carbonite was so great, I decided to come back"

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

If you're dedicated & self-motivated you will do very well at Carbonite. There is always something new and exciting to work on. The company is continuously trying to improve in all areas with the help & feedback from employees at all levels.

Carbonite has some of the most intelligent, hard-working, & driven individuals. I enjoy coming to work every day not only because of the exciting opportunities but also amazing co-workers.

Cons

Open communication & transparency across the organization is an area of opportunity and improvement. Sometimes message seems to become lost as it cascades down.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow, be sure to keep communication as a focus for all employees within the organization.

Oct 16, 2017 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. And welcome back to Carbonite! As with any rapidly growing organization, communication can be challenge. Senior Management is committed to... More

2. "The dream job does exist....."

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The support structure of my team has been incredible. We work hard and play hard... but not in the sales pitch way people say in an interview. They are open to hard working remote employees. They are mindful of workloads and expectations. Compensation plans are amazing.

Cons

I'm 3 months into this and I don't expect to have any, but if I do... I'll update here.

Only one I can think of is slightly California specific, no Kaiser health, but they do have pretty solid alternatives.

Advice to Management

What you are doing, from my point of view, is working. There is not a hint of any water cooler talk about any negative topic. So, thank you for that.

Jun 22, 2018 – SVP - Products and Engineering

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your work. At Carbonite, we have ONE GOAL, Build great products and destroy our competition. This is... More

3. "Technical Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Limited opportunities in Lewiston, Maine
    Develop some skills, move on

Cons

It's basically a factory job, managers are poorly trained and review calls arbitrarily. When the company overhires, everybody gets bad reviews until numbers are down. They think they have a handle on metrics, but the managers don't really understand statistics.

Advice to Management

Treat people well. treat people with genuine respect. Turnover is high because that doesn't exist.

"Decent Job - Terrible Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Benefits are on par with what is expected for the industry.

Cons

There are some incredibly skilled and talented people at Carbonite. Unfortunately, they are greatly outnumbered by individuals who lack any sort of discernible skill set, motivation, or overall competency required for their positions. Some departments are much better than others. Marketing is not one of those.... buzzwords are thrown around without understanding their application; individuals who don't want to do work are a nightmare to collaborate with, so coworkers avoid working with them all together; there is no technical understanding of basic marketing tools, etc. Outside of product & returning customer marketing, there is very little reason to have a marketing department the size that it is, as most work is done by agencies.

Advice to Management

Provide skip level meetings, require 360 feedback, do a true assessment of the marketing department compared to the rest of the industry. By keeping some of these individuals employed, it is only harming both your bottom line and their careers.

Aug 8, 2018 – SVP, Marketing

Thank you for your feedback. The marketing organization, as with all Carbonite teams, consists of many different functions that support the business with customer acquisition, product marketing... More

5. "Going Downhill Again"

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, great people to work with.

Cons

They keep acquiring other consumer level backup companies but are planning on leaving the consumer market soon. As a result they are planning on removing U.S. based support for consumer and moving it Jamaica.

Advice to Management

This company's highlight was its 100% U.S. based support, and a major selling point. Now we have Jamaica support trying to replace us and they are doing a sub-par job at it. When carbonite first started, they tried overseas support and it failed. Now we going through that same thing again when we shouldn't be.

Jul 11, 2018 – VP, Customer Care

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. While it’s true we have acquired or entered into arrangements to acquire customers from competitor’s in the consumer space, we are in no way... More

6. "Lots of good, but some bad as well..."

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

Great benefits package, unlimited time off, ability to work remotely

Cons

dysfunctional at times, poor systems in place, don't reward loyal employees

Advice to Management

To take care of the employees that help get you there.

Jun 18, 2018 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As a company that has rapidly expanded via acquisitions, many teams are focused on streamlining our internal systems so they are efficient and... More

"Awesome to Nope"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome office
    Some opportunities
    Lots of free food
    Mohamad seems like an honest and caring man. A good leader overall.
    The benefits are pretty standard for a tech company. Meaning better than average for most companies.

Cons

Drama within departments
    High turn over
    Lack of direction
    Zero recognition for loyal, longtime employees
    Repeatedly finding "ways" of getting employees to leave after a medical leave

Advice to Management

Ethics

Jun 21, 2018 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback. We have many employee recognition awards at Carbonite and one is our service award. Our CEO recognizes all employees on their Carbonite anniversary and with an... More

8. "Great company with a strong outlook"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good growth, solid business plan, great market leader, great location in downtown Boston. Unlimited vacation is a huge bonus. Check it out.

Cons

Poor engineering group, no leadership or vision for new product or improving existing products. Stock doesn't grow very fast. Snacks in the kitchen run out fast.

Advice to Management

Keep building and growing

"Lol look at HR/Marketing making up reviews"

Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Basically a convenience store where you can get free snacks and sodas.

Cons

Management is clueless. They are completely out of touch with reality and will cut costs to pad their own pockets.

Absolutely zero growth opportunities unless you are a brown noser

Advice to Management

Go to business school 101 and learn to treat your employees like people

May 1, 2018 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. To address your comment about growth opportunities, Carbonite is committed to learning and development opportunities for all Carbonistas. Earlier... More

"Technical Support Nightmare"

Former Employee - Technical Support Level I in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Level I in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free snacks in the break room.
    -Team Leaders were genuine and real. They cared about their teams.

Cons

-Upper management appears to be incentivized based on call metrics such as Call SLA, and abandoned rate. These metrics were frequently fudged by implementing policies that are not good for customer experience, even though they make the numbers look good. (The executives dont' seem to see anything besides these metrics, otherwise they would be aware of the issues as they started, instead of as they are coming to a head.)
    -Carbonite is continuously aquiring new companies and is increasing the workload for employees as it seeks to cut costs to increase profits.
    -Technical support is asked to support new products with minimal training.
    -Upper management doesn't listen to feedback from Team Leaders, Technical Support Reps, or "Employee Satisfaction Surveys". When told repeatedly that technical support wasn't trained properly to support a new product, we were ignored and expected to continue taking calls for that product.
    -Promises of promotion were regular incentives, however layoffs occurred, including on the position which was used as a carrot for lower level technical support. Big red flag that the promotion wouldn't be available anytime soon.
    -New tools were implemented without the input of the teams using them and complaints were disregarded for a month until it was realized that most employees were not using the new tools due to poor design. over 6 months later and many of the issues have not been addressed, or were rejected without explaination.
    -When upper management realized that there was a problem we were only told that "there is a plan- give us 30 days". there is no way to fix the issues in 30 days, and it just comes off as another lie that upper management is telling us to squeeze as much out of us as they can.
    -Upper management doesn't understand that higher level technical support cannot have the same turnover rate as the lower teir customer support in carbonite headquarters. you cannot train new hires fast enough, and they will decrease productivity due to demands cause by training, mistakes, etc... as they learn the product.
    -It is very clear to anyone paying attention that many employees are searching for other jobs due to the working conditions, which will increase workload dramatically.

Advice to Management

-LISTEN TO FEEDBACK.
    -Don't lie to employees about promotion opportunity.
    -Stop touting your company values like they mean anything when it is clear that leadership doesn't care about them at all.

May 4, 2018 – VP, Customer Care

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I appreciate the challenges you have encountered, and we are addressing many of the points that you have mentioned in your review. I have also... More