Carbonite Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Carbonite President & CEO Mohamad Ali
Mohamad Ali

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free snacks, lunch, and break fasts" (in 24 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is excellent, people rarely stay past 6pm" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only way for you to get a promotion is if upper management actually likes you as a person, nothing to do with your resume or how you work" (in 15 reviews)

• "tons of support was handed off to a Jamaican call center for cost reasons, except their support team is extremely lackluster" (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere.
    Got actual work to do as an intern, so I got incredibly useful experience out of it.
    Management understood that as an intern learning was at the forefront of my experience.

Cons

No real cons to speak of

Jan 3, 2019 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback! We have a formal internship program here at Carbonite in order to provide students valuable business experience.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President, Sales Engineering in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Sales Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

Carbonite is a great place to work and build a career. The company has been in acquisition mode which keeps things exciting. The CEO is an outstanding leader, but an even BETTER person. As an employee you have the opportunity to make an impact in decisions being made as the company grows. The people make the company and we have awesome people!

Cons

Communication could be better, but with all the growth I can see why this has been challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Feb 27, 2019 – Director of Talent Management

Thanks so much for your feedback! As with any rapidly growing organization, communication can lag but improving it is a goal.

3. "It was a great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is constantly diversifying the portfolio of offerings through acquisitions
    CEO seems to have a solid vision of where the company is going
    Snacks? but that is pretty minor
    Good work life balance.

Cons

At times it seems that ideas are thrown against a wall and if some don't stick, upper management picks them off the floor, beats them to a pulp, then nails them to the wall. This results in a hastily put together projects that have numerous holes.

There doesn't seem to be much room to grow.

Advice to Management

The constant changes to how teams are made up adds unnecessary confusion. No one knows what they should be handling, or what projects they should be focused on.

"A bit too much micromanaging kills the friendly vibe."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation and good benefits. Friendly people.

Cons

Seems strange to get quarterly bonuses but only do goals twice per year.

Advice to Management

Trust employees more. The guys on the phones don’t need to live under fear that their break went two minutes too long. Allow us to be professionals a bit more.

Mar 4, 2019 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We actually think our quarterly bonus program pay-out cadence is a pro so employees do not wait for a bonus payment. From an administrative... More

"Good company to work for...just not in support"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks
    Great culture
    Awesome break room
    Pay is good

Cons

Management doesnt listen
    Not a whole lot of room for growth in support

Advice to Management

Set better expectations

"Great place to start a career but that's about it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The coworkers are wonderful people. Most truly care about the customers and their fellow coworkers. Front line managers care and are great assets but don't have the best training sometimes. Beer cart and snacks are thoughtful additions, as is "CS" week in October.

Cons

Management techniques are trapped in the 20th century. With recent downsizing rare advancement opportunities exist now (unless someone who has been here long enough to see the good days leaves because its no longer the good days). Customer Service is considered an expense line item and management believes that cutting headcount and center hours is the way to reduce budget rather than focusing on the elephant in the room - efficiency. Agents are expected to provide heavy pressure on customers to upsell, so it is less a help center and more a "we'll help you, but we need to upsell you first" center.
    Company trumps "competitive compensation packages" but seems to forget that agents have access to benefit costs once per year and the intelligent ones can find these studies online with a few hours of searching. Hint: the overall compensation packages generally lie in the 25-50% margin for the area - hardly competitive.

Advice to Management

Provide better (and more current) training for front line managers. I know this is underway, which is why I didn't hit this point hard in my review. I hope that this training will rectify many of the issues observed, once every manager is through it.
    Focus on efficiency, not overall headcount this year, as I am sure in next year's budget you will be forced to look at more cost cutting initiatives. For an example of what I mean, agents should not have to pull up two different websites to look at customer information. This bogs down VMs and creates needless work for an agent. All customer information should be importable into a single site just by pulling up their information. Keeping agents on the same page on the site would be another possibility. There are tons more that can probably be thought of by people more brilliant than I.
    Stop telling current and potential hires that we have a competitive benefits package unless you are prepared to hand out the data showing this - because what a persistent individual online can find in a few hours does not indicate that at all. The more intelligent, motivated candidates can see through that quickly - and these are the people we want to work here.
    Create a better life/balance for non-agents. I watch the TMs and other non-agents work their butts off while other TMs and non-agents barely work at all, and disappear for long stretches of time (maybe meetings, I don't know). One TM is in the center for 45 hours/week and then goes home and continues working for what seems like many more. I feel like one WFM guy lives at the center he is there so much. Where is the drive to want to apply for those positions when they come open? So we can work super long hours for just a few extra dollars?

"Not a bad place, for a call center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- the responsibilities were minimal because we were not allowed to support anything other than just the carbonite software (for better or worse)
    - other employees
    - it's a call center that has decent pay (for better or worse)
    - beer cart
    - pizza days
    - some half baked customer service days

Cons

- no separate sick time and vacation time, which is a big negative. Management would try to argue you don't need it, but after having a job with separate sick and vacation time, why would you ever go back? This should be standard.
    - you could submit feedback to the "developers" but no one but the "product experts" would ever read it, then shoot down good ideas because they didn't think it would work out, regardless of whether or not they were wrong. This resulted in lots of angry customers who would eventually quit Carbonite because they felt their voice wasn't heard in a timely manner, or at all. The product experts would sometimes post on the ideas page every few months, and most of it was completely ignored.
    - there are apparently a handful of developers, and extremely minimal product updates to the consumer/business software, and only the server software ever got updated on a semi-acceptable basis (because it costs more and has more to lose). Support felt like these lack of updates, and lack of listening to any feedback on the software was because the software was actually because the consumer/business software was actually in "End of Life" mode, soon to be replaced by the company's EVault or other offerings (much more expensive, and more inclined for large businesses). This was further cemented by the acquisitions of software only to do nothing with the software (Mirror Image) then when customers complained it was janky, to eventually drop it entirely instead of working on updating the software to work with newer hardware. "Our customers didn't like it, therefore we're stopping support of it" (except, the customers didn't like it because the software was old and it showed, especially after firing the MI team. Ironically, for a time the software Carbonite was using was way older than what Rebit had made because Carbonite never thought or cared to check that our version was up to date or not) Eventually, for the software they no longer wanted to deal with, they sold it off to another company for them to deal with. (or works on ending, in the case of Mozy)
    - tons of support was handed off to a Jamaican call center for cost reasons, except their support team is extremely lackluster. The normal support team was by and large very disappointed with their quality of work.
    - the software, by and large, has tons of "spaghetti code" that no one who's there fully understands how it works properly, because of poor coding and commenting, and programmer churn. Most of the updates are made to make sure the program still works by and large, since anything major would require large swaths of code re-writes, which would be not cheap, and therefore that doesn't happen.
    - because of this, as an agent you would have to constantly backpeddle and apologize for problems with the overall design of the code and implementation when it should have been a priority to them to have fixed. Instead, their time and attention was spent in a nebulous "elsewhere" that was never ever discussed with support. Need to know basis and we weren't important enough to know.
    - They started pushing more and more on upselling (but it's not upselling!!) products to customers in order to make support seem more viable, because management wanted to ship the jobs back to India from Maine (this was said to be the CEO's initial desire) because "it cost too much" and management's idea was to offset the costs of support by showing that they can sell customers the products they need. This is fine in and of itself, in that we weren't ever "required" to have upsold a customer on an interaction, but we were expected to have offered it, and the line was murky where and when to upsell them. (we would still be judged on these during frequent QA call auditing) This is partially because of a change in procedure of initially telling agents they never would have to upsell a customer, to you had to at least make an attempt. Some people excelled at this, and some just simply aren't and will never be good at it, especially for the reasons previously mentioned in this post. Why try to upsell a piece of software that you don't believe is worth the asking price?
    - Another fun thing was how we had to direct customers (and keep in mind, these are mostly elderly or completely computer ignorant customers sold on the idea of "set it and forget it" and then be completely surprised when they took "forget it" literally) to Support.com, which is also considered to be not worth the asking price, at least by most support members. Almost every single time anything would be transferred to them, Support.com agent would realize that it was us calling them, realize it wasn't a simple thing like an outlook profile import they can charge $120 for, and start getting a reserved attitude and eventually we'd feedback that support.com wasn't able to help them, to the surprise of no one.
    - I suppose most of this is bad management, or lack of proper oversight, but it really sours your opinion of the company as a whole when you see how poorly it's being handled.

Advice to Management

Don't stonewall ideas that support and by extension, customers have simply because you don't think it will fly. Too many times there was great ideas that were shot down because it would have required "too much work" that would have improved the user experience simply because every level was trying to penny pinch every bit out of customers, and it showed. Managers in support did this often, until eventually a higher level manager heard about it and was like "it works like this? this shouldn't be how it works" and only then does stuff change. I can't imagine that the support call center is the only place where this happens.

Don't try to assuage people's complaints by saying "they don't need separate sick time and vacation time because" because that's a weak excuse. Just because some bad apples may try to ruin the rest doesn't mean you cut down the whole apple tree.

Listen to your agents feedback instead of trying to handwave it away, and stop skimping on taking care of your agents and stop focusing on punishing outliers with rules that apply to the whole group.

Mar 12, 2019 – VP, Customer Care

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback . There is a lot of feedback in your review that I am confident a conversation with me, or anyone on our Sr. Management team, could provide more... More

"worst place to work at now"

Former Employee - Technical Support Professional in Lewiston, ME
    Former Employee - Technical Support Professional in Lewiston, ME

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

at this point, no pros. I guess the only pro is that they gave you free tickets to see Star Wars,

Cons

VERY rarely any promotion opportunities. The only way for you to get a promotion is if upper management actually likes you as a person, nothing to do with your resume or how you work. Criticism is NOT taken well here, despite wanting to only improve the company. Micromanaged. Pay is abysmal. You're just another number. Don't say anything out of turn (for instance, if you're concerned about job security) because that just gets you closer to getting fired. Don't talk to anyone else on the floor. Do your job, get paid terrible for it, and don't ever complain. Most jobs outsourced to Jamaica. They'd rather fire people than help them get a different position. They hire outside of the company rather than promote inside.

Advice to Management

be a human being. stop firing people because they might not agree with your working methods. give people a chance to get promoted, instead of just hiring outside the company.

"you are just another number to them"

Current Employee - Mid-market Support in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Mid-market Support in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free breakfasts on monday, lunch on Friday (if there is enough food)

Cons

Very Acidic work environment, poor and inexperienced management, no follow through on promises for employee development, employees getting fired with little to no notice and no severance or exit packages, (over the phone no less) and no discussion with existing employees about what they could do to not get fired.
    Management does not clearly explain when issues need to be corrected or if an issue has become a problem. overall they treat you as dispensable because to them you are. after leaving Carbonite I have been happier than i have in years, even without a new job to go too. if I could give it a Negative star rating I would have.

Advice to Management

stop looking at employees as means to an end and look at them as living breathing people

Mar 14, 2019 – VP, Customer Care

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. I appreciate your view point here and know how stressful and difficult it is to separate from an employer. I am very disappointed that your... More

"Lack of legitimate opportunity"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches fridays, nice breakfast on Mondays (also gratis) and polished downtown Boston office.

Cons

Buckle up if you join Carbonite and you're not taking an ELT job. This place is a sweatshop that makes the VPs excessively wealthy while leaving others behind. Look at the news to see stock transactions and you'll see that it's mainly a who's who of csuite employees cashing out. The future is not bright here and I recommend avoiding this company if you are seeking long term career stability.

Advice to Management

You're awful spin doctors. Just sell the jobs for what they really are.

Mar 8, 2019 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm disappointed to hear that this was your perspective working at Carbonite. Employees are eligible to participate in an Employee Stock Purchase... More