Carbonite Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Carbonite President & CEO Mohamad Ali
Mohamad Ali

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is excellent, people rarely stay past 6pm (in 9 reviews)

• Free snacks are great but management taking the time to find out how you are doing and how they can help you do your job means so much more (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many layers of upper management (in 10 reviews)

• The company is outsourcing a lot of the call center work, and as such our location is shrinking (in 9 reviews)

1. "SVP - Products & Engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President - Products & Engineering in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President - Products & Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly innovative company providing cloud based Data Protection solutions to businesses and consumers. One of the few public companies left in this space. Fast Growing.

Cons

Downtown Boston location can be less interesting from a commuting standpoint.

2. "Strength in every regard."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture and focus on employees. Strong vision with intelligent and capable people to deliver on it. Willingness to invest in people and technology. Leadership with a point of view, providing a true sense of purpose for employees.

Cons

Commute into Boston if you live outside of the city. But a commute to anywhere is relative. Right?!

Advice to Management

Sustain the culture. It is really nice to come to work every day!

Carbonite Response

Jul 19, 2017 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you are enjoying working at Carbonite.

3. "A great place to start a career"

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

I started working at the call center as a stop-gap measure while I was looking for better work. It turns out I found it! Everything in the company culture is about putting people --employees and customers-- first. It permeates everything they do. They have a number of perks, activities, and incentives to attempt to reduce as much of the drudgery as possible. To include a beer cart and rec room on-location! The biggest thing they do, is really focus on promoting from within. They will not, as a rule, accept external applicants for a position until theyve exhausted their internal talent pool. It was because of this policy that I was able to quickly move into my desired position after a brief stint of answering phones.

Cons

The company is outsourcing a lot of the call center work, and as such our location is shrinking. They are doing it without any firings or layoffs, but that may make it harder to get a 'foot in the door' for people trying to get in to the organization

Carbonite Response

Jul 19, 2017 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for providing feedback. It is part of our culture to offer employees developmental opportunities via many methods, including through a promotion or transfer to another team.

"Much MUCH better!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for over 3.5 years. Things have gotten MUCH better! I enjoy coming to work, I have a great time with my team members, even though we are spread out all over the US. Leadership provides clear communication about goings on around the company. People get recognized for their work. I have a lot of autonomy in my job, and the flexible time off is awesome!They just announced an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, which is enticing. There are regular "R&R afternoons where adult beverages are served in the Cafe at the end of the day to celebrate a given team's achievements. There are also financial and health wellness activities.

The improvement in culture has also come with overall success of the company, too. Many acquisitions have made us a stronger brand and the stock price has reflected this. It's clear that many of my colleagues enjoy their work and care about Carbonite, which creates a really nice working environment.

Cons

In my department, there's still a lack of direction sometimes, and communication isn't always great. But it's clear there has been improvement. There are a few people who can be difficult to work with, but that is the same in any job anywhere!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees and the customers. Supporting both of these groups will only help Carbonite grow and succeed even more!

5. "Obsolete technology/products disappearing soon in today's world."

Former Employee - Top Notch Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Top Notch Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Perks, 401k match, good benefits, great location,

Cons

Technology and product are obsolete and will disappear quickly in this world. Whatever you rename it, it is "backup"! only dinosaur companies need backup these days. The company can run for a while because there are enough dinosaur companies, but the technology is at dead end and down ward all the way.

Advice to Management

This management is not capable of doing anything but acquiring and aggregating revenues from similar obsolete products to make it look good for a while. But let's face it, it is 2017 instead of 2007!

6. "Not what it is advertised as"

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, casual work environment, location is ideal for public transit

Cons

You don't have control over your work, directionless, untrustworthy management. Basically the company is only growing through acquisition and will aimlessly work anyone and everyone through empty exercises disguised as work. There is a more positive environment from the company because management is getting rich off stock that does not get shared with employees anymore. I guess they used to be pretty generous with sharing stock but those days are long gone so don't expect that if you make the mistake of coming here to work.

Advice to Management

Share in the growth of the company, determine what direction you to go in from each team and execute.

"It is what you make it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people. Constantly changing and challenging environment. Rapid growth. Lots of opportunity for growth -- the company often promotes from within and it's not unusual to see people switch teams to try something new or make a career shift. Beautiful office with a never-ending smorgasbord of free food and beverages. Company culture and morale is on the up and up. Work-life balance is excellent.

Cons

Growth is achieved through acquisition, not innovation. (This may be a con to some people.) Some perks (particularly tuition reimbursement/parental leave) are not as competitive as other tech companies. Very little transparency related to compensation across the company so it's hard to tell if you're getting paid what you're worth. Quarterly MBO and performance review process is clunky and painful.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and recognize their contributions. Increase the focus on professional development and skill training to get the most from your employees and ensure new managers succeed.

"Very talented and amazing people in the Analytics team"

Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team environment, upper management is very supportive about your work and appreciates it within the Analytics team, you are encouraged to constantly learn different technologies, management also invests some time in personality/ management workshops to improve communication and team work amongst the team ,free lunches and many snack options

Cons

Work life balance may get a little strained at times

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and your constant investment in your team members.

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very dynamic workplace environment. Dramatically improved corporate culture driven by new executive leadership in past 12-18 months. Company invests in employees with leadership training and other benefits. Overall, perks are good.

Cons

Parental leave policy is below industry standard.

Advice to Management

Improve parental leave policy by giving mothers 12 weeks paid and acknowledging paternal/spouse leave.

"Poor , scary work culture within the Analytics Team"

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

Good location, work-space, try out multiple analytic tools since they constantly buy and throw

Cons

My opinion is based mostly on the work culture around the Analytics team. This team has had many folks come in and go – the smarter, marketable ones would leave within a year or so. You will be working for a 'Boss' who instills fear in you rather than 'Lead' since they just cannot. It's the few hardworking folks who keep the lights on here IMO. Every manager seems to be keeping their own position safe as there have been constant firings and as a result would care less for the company moving forward. This team will spend erratically on various tools/licenses producing the same data and market it very well across the company of their decisions. However, a lot more could be achieved with much lesser costs and a healthier work-life environment. A good tool is not going to solve your problems if you don’t use it to its utmost potential. You will also be asked to place a good review here, which is why you might come across some of those.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on hiring the right folks, buying the right tools/software and attaining a better ROI
    Include measures to identify and drive out internal politics.
    Socialize with your employees even if they are at a lower level.