Carbonite Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Carbonite President & CEO Mohamad Ali
Mohamad Ali

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is excellent, people rarely stay past 6pm (in 9 reviews)

• Free snacks are great but management taking the time to find out how you are doing and how they can help you do your job means so much more (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many layers of upper management (in 10 reviews)

• The company is outsourcing a lot of the call center work, and as such our location is shrinking (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strength in every regard."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture and focus on employees. Strong vision with intelligent and capable people to deliver on it. Willingness to invest in people and technology. Leadership with a point of view, providing a true sense of purpose for employees.

Cons

Commute into Boston if you live outside of the city. But a commute to anywhere is relative. Right?!

Advice to Management

Sustain the culture. It is really nice to come to work every day!

Carbonite Response

Jul 19, 2017 – Director of Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you are enjoying working at Carbonite.

2. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Lewiston, ME
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Lewiston, ME

Pros

Friendly people, zero tolerance for jerks, great benefits, stock options, and opportunities for advancement if you are willing to move to the Boston area.

Cons

I was not able to work for the company long enough in order to advance up the corporate ladder or take advantage of stock options.

Advice to Management

Keep the environment of a close knit community and never sacrifice it for profits or material gain as Carbonite moves into the realm of publically traded companies.

3. "Opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k match, flex vacation, lots of responsilbility for those who want it. Company is interested in innovation and listens to ideas. Great team dynamics.

Cons

Difficult to mindshare at times due to technology differences between teams.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, and continue to innovate

"Fast growing company achieving high customer and employee satisfaction ratings."

Current Employee - Team Manager in Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Committed and talented senior leadership in customer care provides good direction, projections, and valuable feedback. Senior leadership is inspiring and motivating. Great opportunity for applicants with solid work ethic and passion for technology. Goal of support group is world-class customer service. Very nice employee recognition program, mentoring, on and off-site events.

Cons

Although not actually a "con", call center jobs are not for everyone. Ability to maintain schedule adherence and perform in a fast-paced customer-facing environment is required.

5. "Intern Sales"

Pros

Very active work environment. Lots of freedom to pursue your own ideas with appropriate guidance from your superiors if you need you ask for it.

Cons

Sometimes i felt like there was a certain amount of lag time between projects. To be honest, this is to be expected of most summer internships though.

6. "So great I came back for another round"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Carbonite is hands down the best place I've worked. In addition to being able to work with some of the smartest and more driven people it's ever been my pleasure to know Carbonite, more than any other company has shown a genuine interest in promoting and developing employees. If you're dedicated and passionate about developing your career Carbonite is the place to do it.

Cons

The coffee machine breaks a lot, they don't order enough pop tarts and you have to take the green line other than that it's the best job I ever had.

Advice to Management

Keep finding smart people and keep moving them up and Carbonite will be a great place to work for a long time.

Also get coconut seltzer, it's really the only flavor we're lacking.

"Seasoned veteran of the call center world in Maine. Bay far, Carbonite provides the best overall package."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Imagine a company closing an India based call center to bring their support back to the US, knowing it will cost more to do so! Color me impressed. This is what drew me to the company initially, at a time when I was already gainfully employed. What has kept me here is the fantastic environment, awesome co-workers, exceptional benefits, and competitive pay. I've worked for several large call centers in various capacities, and this one by far is the best I have seen. Expectations are laid out for you, so you are in control of your own success. Those who learn this quickly do very well here. Those who call in sick often or are tardy do not last long here. Ultimately absenteeism hurts our customers and fellow co-workers. They deserve better than that. Besides, if you do not call in sick, you can use this time to take PLANNED time off.

Senior Leaders who have taken the reigns began their careers working in call centers. This means they understand what our Reps do every day, and the challenges they face. I can't stress how important that is, and how much of a positive impact it has had on morale. Senior Leaders are always willing to look at issues that arise. However, if you are complaining just for the sake of complaining, don't waste everyone's time. Along with your complaint, bring a possible solution to the table and watch how quickly the problem will go away.

Our benefits package is simply outstanding. Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, 401k with a company match, and lots more. Benefits also take effect on your first day of employment with Carbonite! Nowhere else have I experienced this.

By far, our Employee Referral Program is the best I have ever seen. Refer a candidate, and if they work out, you will be given a $1,000 bonus!

EVERY Team Manager in Lewiston started on the phones. Some folks willingly left managerial positions to start a career here and are now in Managerial positions.

Cons

The structured nature of a call center is not for everyone. Even though we have candidates listen to calls for 45 minutes, I am still amazed how many people do not understand what working in a call center means. No, you can not make your own schedule. Negativity and poor performance are not tolerated (which to me is a positive, but judging by some of the other reviews I think it is worth saying).

Advice to Management

Continue soliciting feedback from the Reps who take care of our customers. They know what the common issues are and can help address issues before they become detrimental to the business.

8. "Great tech company"

Pros

Great vision for the future, excited to have joined the team.

Cons

Upgrading office space soon, will help with growth spurt.

9. "Always striving to improve"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is very interested in growing the company and the people. If you are someone with drive and good ideas, you will get support in your endeavors. Very concerned with customer feedback and always looking to improve based on customer input. Flexible time off. Flex schedule.

Cons

The turnover rate seems high which can be a challenge. Need a better chat/video conference system for working with people in other offices. T-Pass/Parking not covered.

Advice to Management

I would like to attract a new CTO with focuses on operations, architecture, and security.

10. "Good Place to Work and Growing"

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

smart employees, supportive of career development and furthering education, casual dress code, strong benefits package, prime Boston location, overall great company culture.

Cons

due to the companies growth, workloads can be overwhelming at times. Improvements can be made in the work/life balance area.