Carbonite "free snacks" Reviews | Glassdoor

Carbonite Employee Reviews about "free snacks"

Updated Nov 7, 2019

3.3
Carbonite CEO Steve Munford (no image)
Steve Munford
Pros
  • "Free snacks, coffee in the kitchen area(in 27 reviews)

• "Great Like minded people, work life Balance , lot to learn and fun office environment(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "tons of support was handed off to a Jamaican call center for cost reasons, except their support team is extremely lackluster(in 14 reviews)

• "The only way for you to get a promotion is if upper management actually likes you as a person, nothing to do with your resume or how you work(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "free snacks"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work in Boston!"

Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good compensation Great support from HR and Management Great Engineering Team Free snacks, coffee in the kitchen area Beer once a month Free lunch on Fridays Free breakfast on Mondays When I started Carbonite on early 2015 it was a small company. Since then Carbonite has grown exponentially through acquisitions and organic growth both. The team I think tripled in size when I was there. There was significant... increase in the stock price as well. Carbonite is a great place to understand basic technology, how a technology shop works, what the processes and tools, methods etc are available and so on. Like any engineering shop you will deal with both cutting edge stuff and dinosaurs and everything in between. Carbonite tries to be customer focused and there are different priorities at different times that you will have to learn how to shuffle... that comes with the territory. Management is supportive, but I sometimes felt that the Engineering team as a whole was not as involved in decision making process as much as it could have been, but then again different companies have different criteria. The compensation is very competitive. Stock options, benefits, quarterly bonuses are very competitive for a company of Carbonites size. The HR team is excellent and rocks! As a foreign national, they helped me through all of my paperwork and also during rocky transition phases when I was between visas. The HR team treats you like a human as opposed to just a employee ID (which can happen in some of the bigger names). The outside immigration law firm that works with Carbonite are very professional and they know what they're doing, treat you with respect and sensitivity along the process and will guide you realistically. It was a pleasure to work with them. Overall, a good place to work. Carbonite will be around for a while and there is so much to learn. I enjoyed my tenure here and made some very good friends.

Cons

Since they provide a single type of service, sometimes you will feel scope limited on the type of work.

Advice to Management

Do not neglect/forget the Safe product line

Carbonite2019-11-05

"Too little, too late"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

"Free snacks" and fairly good benefits.

Cons

The company has been on a downward trend for almost a decade. It started in EVault, which was then shifted to Seagate, and then sold to Carbonite. Carbonite then turned things around initially for profitability but did little to actually fix the product or the teams that were toxic to the organization. Finally, they started propping up products that really had not been vetting or tested in true use cases. Re-org... after Re-org, RIF after RIF, out of touch leaders time and time again. The last nail in the coffin is the shareholder lawsuits and FTC investigations. Maybe webroot can right the ship, but they'll have to re-write old code and re-staff the company.

Advice to Management

Don't trust the remaining carb leaders, pull in new leadership that knows how to bring old code to modern levels and remove toxic people. Fiercely defend profitability and honest share holder reporting.

Carbonite2019-11-07

"Yawn at best"

Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice to have free snacks and drinks and great technology in the office

Cons

Companies have been acquired and the marriage seemed great. Once the honeymoon was done, your opinion rarely made a difference. If you aren’t in the hq, be prepared to be forgotten and not included. The technology has gone stale and what we needed to be competitive didn’t seem to be a priority.

Advice to Management

Value those who aren’t in Boston as valued members of teams. I had learned more from those in the field who were actively working with partners, customers and prospects. Value those who are in the trenches and make them feel like they succeed.

Carbonite2019-04-30

"Good company to work for...just not in support"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks Great culture Awesome break room Pay is good

Cons

Management doesnt listen Not a whole lot of room for growth in support

Advice to Management

Set better expectations

Carbonite2019-03-13

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Carbonite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free snacks, videos games, pool

Cons

Not enough training and the dude dress like women

Advice to Management

Train your new employees better

Carbonite2019-02-13

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks Catered food occasionally Office building looks modern Near a nice golf course

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing, this ranges from the team leads to the directors. Support is managed not be the team lead but Work Force Management who is not in the office and does not communicate with individual agents Turn over is frequent and in very large numbers They constantly hire new techs without the necessary requirements to support and maintain their products They constantly underestimate... what it takes to support their own products Air conditioning is on full blast at all hours of the day and night. Almost unbearable at times

Advice to Management

Don't waste good people's time. Stop forcing your understaffed support department to carry the inadequacies of the rest of the company. Your primary workforce does not have a Masters in business administration, so stop asking them what changes you need to make. Stop making false promises to get your broken workforce to work a little harder. You should feel terrible about the work environment you created and the... abuse you've subjected your employees to.

Carbonite2018-10-01

"Lol look at HR/Marketing making up reviews"

Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Basically a convenience store where you can get free snacks and sodas.

Cons

Management is clueless. They are completely out of touch with reality and will cut costs to pad their own pockets. Absolutely zero growth opportunities unless you are a brown noser

Advice to Management

Go to business school 101 and learn to treat your employees like people

Carbonite2018-04-18

"Technical Support Nightmare"

Former Employee - Technical Support Level I in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Free snacks in the break room. -Team Leaders were genuine and real. They cared about their teams.

Cons

-Upper management appears to be incentivized based on call metrics such as Call SLA, and abandoned rate. These metrics were frequently fudged by implementing policies that are not good for customer experience, even though they make the numbers look good. (The executives dont' seem to see anything besides these metrics, otherwise they would be aware of the issues as they started, instead of as they are coming to a... head.) -Carbonite is continuously aquiring new companies and is increasing the workload for employees as it seeks to cut costs to increase profits. -Technical support is asked to support new products with minimal training. -Upper management doesn't listen to feedback from Team Leaders, Technical Support Reps, or "Employee Satisfaction Surveys". When told repeatedly that technical support wasn't trained properly to support a new product, we were ignored and expected to continue taking calls for that product. -Promises of promotion were regular incentives, however layoffs occurred, including on the position which was used as a carrot for lower level technical support. Big red flag that the promotion wouldn't be available anytime soon. -New tools were implemented without the input of the teams using them and complaints were disregarded for a month until it was realized that most employees were not using the new tools due to poor design. over 6 months later and many of the issues have not been addressed, or were rejected without explaination. -When upper management realized that there was a problem we were only told that "there is a plan- give us 30 days". there is no way to fix the issues in 30 days, and it just comes off as another lie that upper management is telling us to squeeze as much out of us as they can. -Upper management doesn't understand that higher level technical support cannot have the same turnover rate as the lower teir customer support in carbonite headquarters. you cannot train new hires fast enough, and they will decrease productivity due to demands cause by training, mistakes, etc... as they learn the product. -It is very clear to anyone paying attention that many employees are searching for other jobs due to the working conditions, which will increase workload dramatically.

Advice to Management

-LISTEN TO FEEDBACK. -Don't lie to employees about promotion opportunity. -Stop touting your company values like they mean anything when it is clear that leadership doesn't care about them at all.

Carbonite2018-04-07

"Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have free snacks and drinks all day.

Cons

They love to let people go and hire new people constantly.

Advice to Management

Learn to care more about people than appearances.

Carbonite2018-03-29

"False sense of security"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Free snacks -Star Wars everything -State of the art facility -There's a Skype group for everything -Benefits

Cons

-Management will tell you whatever you want to hear to squeeze as much production out of you, even if they're aware you're being let go soon. -People in HR discuss things about people's personal and professional lives when they're outside of work as if it's a joke. -My manager was remote and I saw him once every 3 months to discuss important matters or else it was me waiting on him to answer my chats several... hours later. -Micro Management was awful. You were encouraged to only use the bathroom while on lunch and if you didn't, you received a weekly report on how long you were away from your desk when on non-approved breaks. -If you had a complaint about someone who was successful at their job but a terrible human being, managers would turn a blind eye to keep the peace and you become black balled for speaking up.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who do not genuinely have an ounce of compassion in their body, simply because they make your company more money.

Carbonite2017-10-25