Carbonite "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Carbonite Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Mar 8, 2019

3.3
Carbonite Interim CEO and President Executive Chairman of the Board Steve Munford (no image)
Steve Munford
Pros
  • "Free snacks, coffee in the kitchen area(in 27 reviews)

• "Great Like minded people, work life Balance , lot to learn and fun office environment(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "tons of support was handed off to a Jamaican call center for cost reasons, except their support team is extremely lackluster(in 14 reviews)

• "The only way for you to get a promotion is if upper management actually likes you as a person, nothing to do with your resume or how you work(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fine place to work, but the company lacks direction"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite for less than a year

Pros

Amazing office Great central location Friendly coworkers

Cons

The company lacks direction from management. At least when I was there, the upper management seemed totally disconnected from the engineering or product departments. Any direction from the top seemed as if it was coming out of the ether rather than from a person that cared. My engineering team spent months/years working on a product that was eventually totally phased out by the management.

Advice to Management

Interact with your employees more, and make their work feel valuable to you and the company.

Carbonite2018-09-14

"worst place to work at now"

Former Employee - Technical Support Professional in Lewiston, ME

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

at this point, no pros. I guess the only pro is that they gave you free tickets to see Star Wars,

Cons

VERY rarely any promotion opportunities. The only way for you to get a promotion is if upper management actually likes you as a person, nothing to do with your resume or how you work. Criticism is NOT taken well here, despite wanting to only improve the company. Micromanaged. Pay is abysmal. You're just another number. Don't say anything out of turn (for instance, if you're concerned about job security) because that... just gets you closer to getting fired. Don't talk to anyone else on the floor. Do your job, get paid terrible for it, and don't ever complain. Most jobs outsourced to Jamaica. They'd rather fire people than help them get a different position. They hire outside of the company rather than promote inside.

Advice to Management

be a human being. stop firing people because they might not agree with your working methods. give people a chance to get promoted, instead of just hiring outside the company.

Carbonite2019-03-08

"Technical Support Nightmare"

Former Employee - Technical Support Level I in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Free snacks in the break room. -Team Leaders were genuine and real. They cared about their teams.

Cons

-Upper management appears to be incentivized based on call metrics such as Call SLA, and abandoned rate. These metrics were frequently fudged by implementing policies that are not good for customer experience, even though they make the numbers look good. (The executives dont' seem to see anything besides these metrics, otherwise they would be aware of the issues as they started, instead of as they are coming to a... head.) -Carbonite is continuously aquiring new companies and is increasing the workload for employees as it seeks to cut costs to increase profits. -Technical support is asked to support new products with minimal training. -Upper management doesn't listen to feedback from Team Leaders, Technical Support Reps, or "Employee Satisfaction Surveys". When told repeatedly that technical support wasn't trained properly to support a new product, we were ignored and expected to continue taking calls for that product. -Promises of promotion were regular incentives, however layoffs occurred, including on the position which was used as a carrot for lower level technical support. Big red flag that the promotion wouldn't be available anytime soon. -New tools were implemented without the input of the teams using them and complaints were disregarded for a month until it was realized that most employees were not using the new tools due to poor design. over 6 months later and many of the issues have not been addressed, or were rejected without explaination. -When upper management realized that there was a problem we were only told that "there is a plan- give us 30 days". there is no way to fix the issues in 30 days, and it just comes off as another lie that upper management is telling us to squeeze as much out of us as they can. -Upper management doesn't understand that higher level technical support cannot have the same turnover rate as the lower teir customer support in carbonite headquarters. you cannot train new hires fast enough, and they will decrease productivity due to demands cause by training, mistakes, etc... as they learn the product. -It is very clear to anyone paying attention that many employees are searching for other jobs due to the working conditions, which will increase workload dramatically.

Advice to Management

-LISTEN TO FEEDBACK. -Don't lie to employees about promotion opportunity. -Stop touting your company values like they mean anything when it is clear that leadership doesn't care about them at all.

Carbonite2018-04-07

"If you suck at what you do Upper Management might have a place for you"

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlimited PTO. If you really suck at your job you might get promoted

Cons

Every change upper management has done has been to cut costs and take it from employees while the people doing the cuts talk about their penthouses.

Advice to Management

Don't tout your "values" about caring about employees when it's BS.

Carbonite2018-02-22

"The mighty have fallen"

I worked at Carbonite

Pros

- unlimited vacation you can't take - free snacks and coffee - fantastic new office space in Downtown Boston - on several public transit lines - good benefits, including 401K with matching

Cons

- management - upper management - lack of vision - lack of communication - unwilling to hear feedback - lots of promises, little follow through

Advice to Management

Listen to and trust your employees. Vet better, fire less. Stop letting the same "key" people get away with everything and continue making bad, and costly, decisions.

Carbonite2016-05-05

"At one point it was great place to work for...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

My former colleagues were top notch, unfortunately the smart ones left and soon after I followed suit. Free Snacks, Free Breakfast on Monday & Lunch on Friday.

Cons

The company has turned into a rudderless ship, the upper management team tells it's employees to paddle but provides zero direction. Management never fully listens to issues on the front lines. Also, if your idea is against the thought process of of management your black listed. I'm getting the sense that they'll be moving many jobs from Boston to Maine so they can save on employee cost.

Advice to Management

Provide clear guidance and welcome input of your employees.

Carbonite2016-05-05

"Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here."

Current Employee - Engineering in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Snacks? I guess? Generally good compensation.

Cons

In fact, the Tele-presence robot this company used to have quit and rolled itself off the nearest cliff in despair. Seriously though - there isn't enough space to list them all. Recent changes in upper management ravaged an already badly diseased corporate culture. What remains is a case study in leadership anti-patterns. Carbonite is full of warring silos and no clear vision. Any hope of innovation or... improving the status quo is quickly crushed by the steel toed boot of this company's utter and complete inability to pick a direction and stay out of its own way. People are regularly disappeared with no communication as to why, up to and including upper management. The result of all this is giant blob of toxic insanity. Avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Technology companies need to have a rock solid vision for who they are and what product they're trying to build. As far as i can tell Carbonite has had neither for a very long time. Crystal clear communication is absolutely imperative if you want to keep your remaining people from jumping ship. Disappearing people in the dead of the night is a good call if you're the KGB, but not so much if you're trying to run a... technology company - the market is booming and your people will just go elsewhere.

Carbonite2016-04-14

"Was a great place to work. Not anymore."

Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite

Pros

Compensation was good until a month ago. There are some employee perks like breakfast on Mondays and lunch on Fridays.

Cons

New upper management in sales has completely changed the culture from great to terrible. There is an "open door policy" which there actually is, but they really could not care less about employee input. There is no team environment anymore. It's toxic, directionless, horribly managed and has the feeling of a sinking company. They changed everyone's job description in sales. They demoted many. We all got a cut in pay.... Not on paper, but the goals they have set are unattainable therefore we will be paid less. I could write pages more, but for the sake of keeping this as concise as possible, the company had promise, was fun, and was a nice place to work. Now it's deflating to even think about showing up every day. The unlimited vacation is a joke. It's just a way to not have to pay out. There is no such policy in sales. You take off and you lose. They even fired an employee over the phone on their honeymoon.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure where to begin. Read the cons list above. That's some of the problems, definitely not all. Great place to start.

Carbonite2016-04-13

"Long, slow decline..."

I worked at Carbonite full-time

Pros

Nice, T accessible location for the office (downtown Boston) Best selection of free junk food of any place I've ever worked. Really, it was awesome.

Cons

I was developer; your experience may be different you're not in engineering. Carbonite had a decent number of good engineers. Unfortunately, it never really seemed like Carbonite valued them. People were always getting fired from engineering. There was continual pressure that we weren't getting enough done. In the new office, engineers got desks about half the size of everyone else ... that must have made sense... to someone. I can remember a least one time when I had to have one of the laptops I was using on my lap because there was no space left on the desk for all the computers I needed to get my work done. I got really sick of Star Wars themed stuff, and you probably will too if you work there. I didn't get the impression upper management knew much about how software was developed. I mean, you do have to fire people sometimes, but a few timers there was like one person who understood how one part of the system worked and then suddenly they would be gone. There's mission critical code that no one owns and very few people understand. Lots and lots of people would get put into a side project that went no where, but the boring old code, that was actually making money for the company, was totally neglected. There were a lot of things that could have been done that would have allowed me to get my job done faster and more effectively, like refactoring some of the code, setting up better test environments, that sort of thing; pretty basic stuff, really. No one can get work done fast if a system they need to use is down half the time. Finally, I have never felt less valued or appreciated at any company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

tl;dr? Read the last sentence of the Cons. My current company is about the same size as Carbonite. The CEO knows my name. When he sees me working late, he comes over and talks to me to see what I'm working on. I don't think any the executives at Carbonite would have likely recognized me on the street, much less be interested in what was working on (unless it was late), much less know my name.

Carbonite2015-10-29

"Okay company, plusses and minuses."

Former Employee - Engineering in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work ethic in the Boston office is that everybody gets to work on time at 9am and works hard all day, very little shmoozing. But then everybody goes home at 5pm sharp, unless there is a tight deadline or emergency. Vacation policy is extremely flexible, no specific limit. Bonuses are good (8% to 10% of salary), and not very much tied to work performance (except for unusually high and unusually low... performers).

Cons

Workstations are very open, clusters of about 8 people, each cluster is sort of like a big table with dividers on the table. No privacy, everybody is visible all the time. This includes upper management people, who have offices with a glass wall, including the CEO. Engineering talent level is adequate, but not stellar. People management practices are in general barely adequate, except for termination practices,... which are substandard (they sometimes fire people abruptly--both technical and non-technical--with little or no warning, without a probation period).

Carbonite2015-03-26