Carbonite "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Carbonite Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 14 Nov 2019

3.3
Carbonite CEO Steve Munford (no image)
Steve Munford
Pros
  • "Free snacks, coffee in the kitchen area(in 27 reviews)

• "Great Like minded people, work life Balance , lot to learn and fun office environment(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "tons of support was handed off to a Jamaican call center for cost reasons, except their support team is extremely lackluster(in 14 reviews)

• "The only way for you to get a promotion is if upper management actually likes you as a person, nothing to do with your resume or how you work(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to work"

Former Intern - IT Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite for less than a year

Pros

Cons

none i can think of

Carbonite2019-11-01

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, Benefits and Work / Life Balance

Cons

Questionable management decisions at time

Carbonite2019-11-14
  3. "Excellent company for immigration support!"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Extremely supportive + proactive about sponsoring visas and green cards for foreign employees. As a H1-B visa holder, I have been extremely impressed with Carbonite's HR + Immigration teams, they brought me through visa to green card in 2 years. This is a huge benefit for visa holding employees and it cultivates a diverse, accepting company culture. - Good work-life balance, managers here respect that modern... work can be done remotely and are accommodating to a variety of work styles across departments

Cons

- The fallout of frequent acquisitions can be messy and confusing, but all jobs have some element of that kind of thing

Advice to Management

Continue your great work on the immigration front! It's a real testament to the company and helps Carbonite stand out in the highly competitive talent market.

Carbonite2019-10-18
  4. "Best Company Ive worked for"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Culture -Provides lunch and breakfast on Mondays and Fridays -Snacks and drinks with a fully stocked Kitchen -Management truly cares about your success and ideas. they have an open door policy -great insurance -unlimited PTO -Good pay -Company is growing, great opportunity to move up within the company -Great work life balance

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! We are lucky to work for such a great company.

Carbonite2019-09-06
  5. "Great team, great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time

Pros

Super-smart, driven, employees who truly care about the company and the direction it's going in. Fully stocked snacks, catered breakfast on Mondays and lunch on Fridays. Gorgeous office in Boston. Great work life balance.

Cons

Unclear direction for certain teams.

Carbonite2018-12-22

"It is what you make it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people. Constantly changing and challenging environment. Rapid growth. Lots of opportunity for growth -- the company often promotes from within and it's not unusual to see people switch teams to try something new or make a career shift. Beautiful office with a never-ending smorgasbord of free food and beverages. Company culture and morale is on the up and up. Work-life balance is excellent.

Cons

Growth is achieved through acquisition, not innovation. (This may be a con to some people.) Some perks (particularly tuition reimbursement/parental leave) are not as competitive as other tech companies. Very little transparency related to compensation across the company so it's hard to tell if you're getting paid what you're worth. Quarterly MBO and performance review process is clunky and painful.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people and recognize their contributions. Increase the focus on professional development and skill training to get the most from your employees and ensure new managers succeed.

Carbonite2017-05-12
  7. "Good for some people"

Software QA Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite for more than a year

Pros

Fellow employees are friendly. Salary, benefits are competitive, office is newish and nice. Technical employees do not have to be elite. If you are good, you can be a big fish in a small pond. Work-life balance is excellent, people rarely stay past 6pm.

Cons

Every wonder where software engineers who are not at the top of their class end up working? Some of them work at Carbonite. There are a few top-drawer people, but many are somewhat mediocre. It's not unusual to see a colleague just disappear. They are not into remedial performance improvement plans, if they are dissatisfied with someone they are quick to fire them.

Advice to Management

Be more selective in technical hiring.

Carbonite2017-03-27

"The Dust is Beginning to Settle and There Are Great Things on the Horizon!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm part of the EVault team and the product is the best, first of its kind and still one of the very best in reliability and performance. Since the acquisition from Seagate the Carbonite leadership has acted quickly to resolve issues and develop a strategic focus giving us a lot of momentum. The culture is geek chic and encourages every one of us to be involved. The benefits package is as good as if not better... than most with a lot of emphasis on work life balance. Breakfast on Mondays, lunch on Fridays, catered holiday events, fresh fruit, snacks and drinks are stocked in the break rooms daily free for all employees. Reliable equipment, comfortable and clean facilities, great support staff and a huge game room. We even have a beer cart (which also contains non-alcoholic beverages) that comes around once in a while. Leadership that is genuine, strategic and actively listens to employees.

Cons

Even though our SLC office is located near the freeway I personally don't like the commute here especially at peak hours. Keep in mind this is Salt Lake City and daily commutes tend to be a mere fraction of those in other cities. I wouldn't be opposed however to our offices being located in an area that would make public transit, walking and/or pedaling easier.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep your eyes on the prize! Seriously, much respect and kudos to you for what we've been able to accomplish through all of this transition. Thank you.

Carbonite2016-06-16

"Review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supper nice people in the office. Very good Work/Life Balance. Manager never try to ask you to use your personal time to have meeting or so. Company culture is good and fun.

Cons

The pay rate is below the market. Backup business doesn't have a bright future. Not using much cutting edge technology.

Advice to Management

Backup business doesn't have a bright future. Please give more good ideas to the company. We need something new.

Carbonite2016-07-05
  10. "Good company"

in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, great benefits

Cons

compensation, career advancement, leadership needs to be innovative and be in the forefront of cloud backup market

Carbonite2015-12-10