Cardinal Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett
George S. Barrett

1,242 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Endless opportunity for growth, excellent work/life balance (in 91 reviews)

• Great people, great work flexibility, and good benefits (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Maybe the work/life balance isn't as good as it could be (in 55 reviews)

• Long hours red tape which is in every company (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place with great people"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Nashville, TN

Pros

Lots of resources and great training. There are many opportunities for hungry employees (if you work in a main office)

Cons

Having to deal with red tape and politics. Not many opportunities if you work remotely ore in a satellite office

Advice to Management

Get rid of the fat and promote the right person for the right job

2. "Working at Cardinal Health"

Current Employee - Director in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Director in Dublin, OH

Pros

Cardinal Health is one of the premier companies in the Health Care Industry and provides tremendous opportunities for employees willing to work hard. Cardinal is very open to moving employees across different functions which provides employees to develop both the breadth and depth to move into senior management roles.

Cons

One of the challenges is the dynamic nature of the health care industry and constant changes can be disconcerting sometimes. The other challenge is the lack of training for employees.

Advice to Management

Complete transparency will really help out the employees in understanding the vision of the company.

3. "I am not versed enough on Mr. Clark to provide a review"

Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I believe that cardinal is a stable, progressive company that values the services offered to its customers and the employees who provide those services. I have been satisfied with my employment and my salary for the term of my employment. There seem to be many avenues for advancement should the employee choose to do so.

Cons

The company is spread out through the country, communication between sectors can be challenging.

Advice to Management

I don't really communicate with S.M.. Most of my communication takes place via the director of pharmacy.

5. "Great place to work. Great place to build a career, and grow with a company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

Pros

Solid company that shows appreciation to employees for hard work and dedication. Great learning environment, as they recruit with emphasis on education and experience. You will work with very talented folks, in the exciting field of medical/surgical supplies and technologies.

Cons

Payscale tends to be lower than competition. In my experience it seemed they like to hire individuals overqualified for a certain position with the intent of grooming them into higher positions. This can also be a plus however, as the intent is to build a career for you and keep you around.

Advice to Management

Be competitve with payscales. Nonetheless, great place to work!

6. "The best healthcare company to work for!!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

Pros

This is an excellent company to work for. They are top notch in the healthcare industry and very successful in providing solutions at point of care.

Cons

I haven't seen too many too many downfalls yet. I've been with the company for a couple of years now and do not have any real complaints.

Advice to Management

The only thing I wouldn't mind providing to senior management would be to add a gym membership to the benefits package. Many companies add these now and it helps to increase attendance by keeping people fit and providing an incentive for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Even a bonus or reduction in costs for those that maintain certain preventative health standards like ht/wt, non-smoker, lower cholesterol, etc.

7. "A company that is financially sound and committed to excellence."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Louisville, KY

Pros

Cardinal Health is an excellent company who is always looking to change with the healthcare needs of the world. They are committed to Lean Six Sigma and use the process to improve what we do and how we do it. The benefits are very good and it seems Cardinal is always looking to keep the cost to it's employees at a minimum. There are so many different companies within Cardinal Health that the open jobs continue to appeal to even those employees who are happy with what they do. I think they truly care about people who work for them and definitely promote blance with family and job.

Cons

With really large companies like Cardinal Health, people sometimes get the mentality that change is almost impossible. They tend to back away from change that requires a huge commitment or a lengthy process. We continuously look at the processes in place and discover problems but find it very difficult to get the problems resolved because we are so big. Big change must come from the top and requires commitment from each and every level of management. We have in the past had way too many levels of management but that seems to be going away. Getting the right people in the right positions is also very important but that's not always the case. We sometimes see people put into positions that have no working knowledge of what they are supposed to be doing, especially at the management level in corporate positions. I'm hoping that will change though based on the new spin off of another Cardinal Health company. A few years ago Cardinal wrapped all their companies together and in my opinion caused much red tape to be added to the processes and approval methods. With this new change I am encouraged!

Advice to Management

Listen to the people doing the jobs. They are the subject matter experts in most cases and can bring about change that is good for Cardinal Health in this global market. Employees of Cardinal Health are for the most part very passionate about what they do and care about making sure our company is on the cutting edge of technology and very competititve in this sinking economy. In short, take good care of us and we'll take good care of OUR company.

8. "Great company to gain experience and potential to grow with if you work hard."

Pros

Excellent benefits in a growing industry that will only continue to grow as Baby Boomers retire. Great training and experience to move into higher paying jobs. Asa whole great people to work with on a daily basis.

Cons

Lack of a clear vision for the future, but with spin off of Care Fusion I think Cardinal could be better off. Complicated pay structure that prevents a big increase in pay.

Advice to Management

Improve the pay structure which will help to retain employees. Focus more on employee satisfaction rather than stock holder satisfaction.

9. "A great place to work!"

Pros

Cardinal Health is a dynamic, growing orgaization, in an industry focused on improving the lives of patients at the end of the healthcare supply chain. Although times are relatively tough, like most other companies, Cardinal has done a great job to position itself for future success. I feel that I am treated fairly, I am able to balance my work and my personal life, I am compensated fairly, and I believe in both my direct level management, as well as senior leadership.

Cons

Cardinal is a very dynamic organization, which I personally enjoy. If someone is intimidated or uncomfortable with change, Cardinal might not be the best place for them.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee satisfaction and customer loyalty; I believe in this company!

10. "Good One So Far"

Current Employee - Manager in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Dublin, OH

Pros

Small company feel, treated well, Wellness Center a plus, ripe with opportunity, openness to doing the right thing. empowered to do the job, supported, making a difference, balanced compensation plan, written out.

Cons

Too much collaberation, some individuals fear failure, too much talking, sometimes not enough planning

Advice to Management

Leverage technology more to create efficiencies and drive costs out of the company.

11. "Enjoyed an energetic and supportive culture that has provided opportunities for development drives excellence."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Finance in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Finance in Dublin, OH

Pros

Strong senior leadership
    Business impact
    Opportunity to advance
    Creative ideas encouraged and praised

Cons

There are different work product expectations in different business functions, and at times it can seem if they are not rewarded equally.

Advice to Management

Continue on the current path determined after the spin off of Carefusion. It has inspired the employees and lead to a prosperous present.

Showing 1,242 of 1,304 reviews