Cardinal Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017
1,254 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,254 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Endless opportunity for growth, excellent work/life balance (in 91 reviews)

• Great people, great work flexibility, and good benefits (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Maybe the work/life balance isn't as good as it could be (in 56 reviews)

• Long hours red tape which is in every company (in 37 reviews)

"Most toxic workplace environment I've ever experienced - I'm looking for another employer."

Current Employee - Senior R&D Scientist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior R&D Scientist in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Above avergae compensation and excellent benefits.

Cons

Co-worker backstabbing and brown-nosing to get ahead. Managers favor their “pets” and shift blame to scapegoats. Management pets have free rein to bully others. HR protects management, believing whatever the manager tells them . Employees afraid of being fired as a scapegoat, with no recourse.

Advice to Management

Corporate HR needs to investigate the Center for the Advancement of Molecular Imaging. But until the group starts imploding, I doubt aything will happen.

"disastrous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Pros

The health benefits were great. The facility and equipment was well maintained by the guy who was working there in 2007 / 2008, but he left suddenly. Since then, it wasn't as good.

Cons

Terrible local middle management. Several had very poor attitudes toward subordinates and peers. Self-serving and manipulative behaviors ruled the day and go unchecked by the guy in charge.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is that you should learn to do yourself as you say you'd want others to behave. "Walk the Talk!"

"Poor management/leadership and no strategic direction""

Former Employee - Manager in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Dublin, OH

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

"benefits" such as health care, vision, dental; Java City, nice cafeteria, full gym onsite, many conference room options.

Cons

Low pay scale, and difficult to increase once internal employee
    HR backs management and not employee; even with written documentation.
    Reorganizes structure every year-difficult to master changing positions/new strategies (if they are known)--also equals position eliminations annually
    No strategy or MBOs filtered down per year so difficult to perform job duties
    Poor management skills in management and senior leadership
    Leadership "cliques" that if you are not a part of, forget it--too much of 'kissing" up
    Speaking up on why disagree even about something minor = fired.
    Medical and pharmaceutical sides are treated as seperate companies when customer sees them as one.
    Lots of turnover as employees get frustrated and leave

Advice to Management

Employees need to be aware to think across all segments of CAH not just M or P
    Listen to employee concerns and consider that it may be the truth-don't automatically dismiss
    Know that employees don't respect you as you may think, because you are why their job is frustrating and why they can't perform to their own standards as they want.
    Include employees on more information instead of keeping all "high-level"

5. "the place so far"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits is good. There will always be an opening because people keep on quitting or getting fired.

Cons

Management hides in their offices and wonders why things goes wrong. Speaking and telling them what the issue is also makes you a target(unless they favor you then you can get away with anything). Pay raises are horrible, it goes by how long you've worked there and if they like you or not. The longer you work there the less you get so by the time a new employee is hire, they're probably making the same amount as you. Hr doesn't seem to be for the employees they just do what management tells them. Don't look for a career if you only have a high school diploma because the farthest you'll probably get is picking and packing because the management team told me in order to become a team leader one would need more schooling or a degree. They also work you like cattles and still expect more. This is more of a "if you need the money then work here for awhile" type of job.
    You can't get to enthusiastic about the job because they'll eventually break your spirit.

Advice to Management

Trust is a big issue within the company. Better pay raises. Make sure than when an employee tells the truth that they don't get any reprisal from the management team. Management doesn't seem to have respect for their employees.

6. "Not for minorities working Cardinal Health's Presource division"

Former Employee - Sales Operation Representative in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Operation Representative in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time

Pros

Big company that provides a sense of job security

Cons

*Everyone is pretty much set in their ways so change is very, very, very difficult - if not impossible.
    *There's a culture of protecting yourself against your own colleagues, and sadly I am glad I did because someone tried to get me fired my fidgeting with my reports and her manager just asked me to let it go as if it didn't happened!
    *If you're a minority and you get the wrong manager - beware, you may be on your way out the door. I got promoted (from production planning to Sales Support), which was the worst move I've ever taken due to the manager - the reason I quit within a few months of the promotion. I was not the first, nor the last employee under this manager who's a minority that quit - two others followed after me.
    *There is no sense of camaraderie or any level of synergy in Presource. Everyone is in their own clicks and each division run like silos, independent of each other.

Advice to Management

*Change of culture that one can be proud of working for is much needed, especially for such a large organization
    *Value talent. Nurture and develop talent, and not make cost cutting the only priority. I have seen people get promoted based on face value, and not on merits. That is why I am not surprised that they have lost talented individuals and those who are still there, they are not productive and do not care about their jobs because they are not paid what they are actually worth in the marketplace and the culture of not being valued tremendously lowers their motivation

7. "Need some clean up of supervision. Need to look at new people"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

work independent with no leadership

Cons

You get no help when needed

Advice to Management

Help you people

"All work, No Pay"

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You may see this as a pro - Very little management involvement with the sales force which means free time.

Cons

No Pay - No Growth - incorrect sales tracking - Poor Employee Attitude - Bad Customer Opinions

Advice to Management

Develope a pay structure that rewards sales representatives for their hard work. The current pay structure is well below industry standards. For a Diagnostic Specialist for example to be at plan and on schedule to make less than $100,000 per year is an injustice. For a sales rep to work night and day fixing company mistakes instead of selling and growing business and not make $100,000 per year is a joke. If your goal is to hire employees who work themselves to the bone and not pay them, you are doing a great job.

Yearly Salary fo a Sales Rep between $50,000 and $65,000 per year is below industry standards.
    Yearly Salary for a Diagnostic Specialist at $70,000 is well below industry standards.

My advise would be to stay away from Cardinal unless you are right out of college or un-employeed.

"Not worth the headache or low pay"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You recieve a standard block of 19 PTO days along with 7 company holidays. Which is about the only thing CAH gives you.

Cons

Management, pay, advancement, pretty much everything. I was in medical and unless you were part of the old guard from Waukegan or had 15 years In Pharma you might have a shot at advancement.

Advice to Management

It's not us it's you.

"Unprofessional workplace with no structure"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate II in Valencia, CA

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of my co-workers were the best part of the job.
    Little supervision, left to do the job on your own. (could also be a bad thing)

Cons

The hours are inconsistent and long, the work is very physically demanding, processes are constantly being changed even when they are working extremely well, it is a very chaotic environment with no set structure.

Cardinal Health is all about favoritism. If there is for any reason something they don't like about you, they will find any little reason to fire you. Hard work doesn't get you anywhere here. You can greatly exceed your work metrics, get Employee of the Month, and you will still be treated like you are replaceable and ready to be tossed out the door.

Advice to Management

Management needs a complete re-haul. They need to bring the warehouse employees in on decisions because in the end they are the ones who are going to be effected. They should give incentives/recognition for exceeding work metrics and not just because you're their best friend.

"Strong Employees being lead by morons"

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time

Pros

The people are great, they give their all to the job and are a pleasure to be around

Cons

Senior Management is all about who you know. They promote from within, only the people who agree with VP's. They pay on the very low end of what is acceptable and work you to death. A personal life is not allowed.

Advice to Management

Bring in talent from outside with proven abilities and get rid of the dead weight.

Showing 1,254 of 1,316 reviews