Cardinal Health Reviews | Glassdoor

1,284 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,284 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Maybe the work/life balance isn't as good as it could be (in 58 reviews)

• Long hours red tape which is in every company (in 37 reviews)

"Great benefits, but everyone is expendable - no job security at all"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Radcliff, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Radcliff, KY

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits, a lot of great co-workers, lots of room for advancement

Cons

Lots of room for advancement, but they are good a promoting, and then doing away with that job within a few months- leaving you high and dry. About every 6 months, they clean house and go on a firing spree, and the higher your salary, the more likely it is you. within 2 weeks, my manager, my supervisor, and 2 other supervisors in our area were all fired, seems to me if there was that much of a problem with senior leadership, then maybe it is their boss that needs to go.

Advice to Management

Train your leadership team. Fix that dump of a computer system that does not work. Quit constantly changing all of the processes, get it right, an make sure it is right, instead of changing it, then having to change it 15 more times to get it right.

"Worst career move I had ever made!"

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To be honest, I have a hard time finding pros in this company. My experience was horrible and so were those around me. I was worried bout leaving after less than a year but was lucky enough to get a way better opportunity to save me from this misery.

Cons

- Within my first 6 months, three senior leaders that were recruited from the outside were gone. Who got promoted? The people that lack innovation but drink the kool-aid...the people that have been with Cardinal for 20+ years and you know they wouldn't survive anywhere else. They moved up in the organization by kissing the tail of executives and intimidating their team members.
    - HR is useless. Management is manipulative, disrespectful, and very "blue-collar"
    -Unethical business practices
    - Several instances where I feel like I experienced HR violations but HR was not very reliable.

Advice to Management

In order to fulfill the concept of "Innovative Delivery Solutions", you need leaders that are innovative. Ones that can create and embrace a culture to change status quo in the company. Senior management needs to learn how to manage by other means besides intimidation. I have worked for other Fortune 500 companies and these "Cardinal-bred" leaders would not survive in any other organization.

"Midwest Views and Chaotic Management"

Current Employee - Director in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very few pros that i can think of. Ah, tremendously slooooooowwww pace and therefore lots of "quality of life" or otherwise known as lazy pace? Yes, things move very slow at Cardinal with the exception of the constant organizational restructuring which really has no benefit for anyone.

Cons

Very little diversity in management. Mostly white males or the "new" initiative white females. Current "diversity initiatives" do not focus on bringing in or promoting minorities to equal levels of management throughout the business.

Career path is pretty non-existent. People are promoted so they can get higher pay levels (which tend to be lower than the industry average), when they really don't deserve the title change or promotion. So there are a tremendous amount os "Sr" this and that, and VP's with very little experience to justify their position.

There is also a tremendous amount of internal nepotism. People get promoted via "relationships" and not really through critical performance. This is very demotivating. Many of the people who actually have talent tend to leave as soon as they discover the "culture" at Cardinal.

If you are an ethnic minority, i highly recumbent that you reconsider your interest in this corporation. They have a tremendously long way to go to be competitive in many ways, from compensation to inclusion. Many minorities that join Cardinal simply leave due to the lack of opportunities available for them to grow and be fostered.

Advice to Management

Mix the gene pool a little more. There is too much inbreeding and lack diversity both in leadership and employee composition. Focusing only on (white) women's initiatives solely does not provide the broader equity that continues to be lacking in the general population at Cardinal.

"supervisor creates hostile work environment; out to get attitude; not cooperative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

company as a whole is very good

Cons

supervisors have no supervision from corporate, make their own policies, use racially discriminatory language. due to bad job market, everyone is afraid to speak out.

Advice to Management

make sure that the supervisors are applying company policies, not their own.

5. "waste of time"

Former Employee - Tech in Griffith, IN
    Former Employee - Tech in Griffith, IN

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

it was just a job, nothing to brag about

Cons

after 20 plus years i was let go because i was not a favorite of the manager.shifts made it impossible to have a normal life.i kept the job because i had been there so long. the hours i worked made it impossible to put a lot of effort into finding new employment.

"Started off great but after a number of reorganizations it fell off quickly"

Former Employee - Nuclear Pharmacy Service
    Former Employee - Nuclear Pharmacy Service

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

R&D/Product Development was filled with great leadership that cared for the individual and continuously looked to develop individuals. After a major reorganization,the new leadership got rid of those managers and kept the ones that lacked any real development skills.

Cons

Leadership was a revolving door and the main cause of that is the Quality group. Instead of being a support functions they were throwing up road blocks for anyone outside of their group. Most of these road blocks were promises that were way overblown because of their lack of knowledge of the industry.

Advice to Management

Please fix the Quality management and leadership for the sake of the current employees.

"Avoid if you can"

Current Employee - Technician I, Chemical/Pharmaceutical Operations (Nights) in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cardinal Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is full time employment. It can be entry level employment for someone who just graduated college in Chemistry or Biology. You won't do much actual chemistry and biology and the skillset you gain won't be very applicable outside this niche area of PET drug manufacturing. But you will gain work experience in the pharmaceutical industry and in manufacturing operations.

Cons

I was told in my interview that starting pay is $17/hr for Tech I in PET but that it would raise as soon as I got AU certified. I asked how long it takes to get AU certified and was told 6 weeks. Do not believe this. The course takes 6 weeks but it takes several months before you can take the course + six weeks + several months to receive the certification. Then you won't actually get promoted when you get certified. They will make you wait until you are on the site license, which takes another several months to apply for and another several months to wait for approval from the state. Then your supervisor will tell you he will promote you, but will not actually do it. You will get strung along. You will wait for your promotion to get announced but it won't happen. When you question him about it, he will tell you that AU certification is only one factor in promotion and it is discretionary based on the manager's assessment of things like "leadership ability". But your manager only sees you for anywhere from 5 min to an hour per day because you are a third shift employee (10pm start - when you get AU certified you will work opening for some amount of time) and he is a first shift employee (7am start and he stays in his office outside the lab a majority of the time).

You will open the site by yourself unsupervised for two hours, then act as a shift lead, generally with the newest employee for another 3 hours, you will perform production, perform sterility, do your paperwork, all without supervision - but when it comes to promotion, the goal posts repeatedly shift further back, and you don't meet the "requirements". In your performance review, your manager will blame you for "not taking the initiative" to become qualified in Amyvid processes, even though that is something that has to be scheduled because it is performed concurrently with your other tasks. This is a trend - your manager will shift blame as much as possible to the least common denominator, which is you.

Then when you finally do get promoted between a year and a year and a half later (if you last that long without getting fed up), you will be making $19/hr as a Tech II. In the mean time you will put up with a work environment in which you essentially will be expected to be on-call, and your starting time can vary dramatically by 6 hours or more on only a few hours notice. This happened to me many times. Your manager will either not make a schedule or will make a schedule that is meaningless practically as soon as it is made on a regular basis. You may be expected to be in another state across the country on less than 24 hrs notice to cover for another site (if your site's staffing is adequate and depending on what you are qualified in). When you are sent somewhere, you will have to front the money for your hotel, for your rental car, and the rest of your expenses. Cardinal will reimburse you eventually, but for someone making $17/hr, it will be difficult to have that kind of money in your bank account to allocate to these expenses while you have other bills to pay.

You will work some form of third shift whether it is 10pm or midnight or 2am 3am 4am - it will vary, and the more you are qualified in, the more it will vary. You will work weekends also. You will be miserable.

"In the technical field its Bizarro World"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Dublin, OH

I worked at Cardinal Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in a technical area with a very good team and a good group manager. The benefits were good.

Cons

The subordinate management is beyond poor. The company, like many others, is penny wise and pound foolish. Instead of thoroughly testing and tuning a new application, they cram the entire world into these warehouses and keep them there 24/7 for weeks when a new application goes online. They offshore a TON of their work even though they get what they pay for. The company does not listed to its employees at all. They finally instituted a suggestion program that is complete eyewash as they had accepted and deployed not ONE suggestion after almost a year. You could easily do an hour hour week if on call. Complain and they would replace you with cheap imported H1B labor in a heartbeat. Application managers won't do anything to improve the god awful performance of their apps as they are deathly afraid something breaks on their watch. I would get call in the middle of the night from offshore people who literally spoke NO English.

Advice to Management

Reduce offshore employees, listen to your employees. HR runs all departments with a politically correct gestapo mentality. Might want to take a look at that. Might want to try hiring more Americans and you wouldn't have to hide all the foreigners you employ in the Smith Bldg warehouse away from your corporate HQ,

"Stay away!"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Used to be it was related to healthcare,

Cons

Extremely poorly managed. Retaliation and fear a big part of how they operate

Advice to Management

Resign.

"Very disorganized, with poor system implementation and operation. Bad management with little to no operating skills."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Radcliff, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Radcliff, KY

Pros

Good benefits, Decent pay, Nice building

Cons

Poor systems, bad management, bully tactics, daily threats from mgmt. No job stability.

Advice to Management

Quit looking at the numbers, listen to the employees. FIX the systems. Management, get a hint....if you have to bring in counselors and massage therapists to help with stress in the building, there is a problem. Your not always right. Stop threatening the employees, this only proves you do not know how to manage. Quit misleading on the companies future, I was there when we were told Cardinal Health would never send jobs overseas (by corporate mngmt at a Town Hall event), and 3 years later you are laying off dozens upon dozens of employees due to jobs being shipped to oversea call centers. For the last year of my employment, I witnessed on average 3 employees a week break down in tears or just get up and leave due to an impossible demanding workload and overbearing supervisors. When I worked at the Radcliff facility, we were nearly 500 strong......now maybe 200 and getting smaller every day.

Showing 1,284 of 1,352 reviews