Cardinal Solutions Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 44 reviews

3.8
Cardinal Solutions CEO Kelly P Conway
Kelly P Conway

"This company has it all!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home capability Multiple Projects w/ Updated Technology Down to earth, SMART people to work and learn from Generous Salaries The president, VP, and CTO are all very clear about expectations and will share the numbers of the company every quarter! No one hides things here! Cant forget to mention the happy hours, team events, family nights, etc. SO much fun! You can reach out to the President, VP, and... CTO at any point and they don't hesitate to get back to you, unlike some larger companies.

Cons

There needs to be more offices opened faster, so we can get the Cardinal name out to everyone!

Advice to Management

Keep showing us the numbers, being transparent/honest, and stay available to the employees when needed like you have been!

Cardinal Solutions2018-07-20
  2. "Great Company Culture"

Former Employee - Consulting in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance and company culture

Cons

advancement in career and feedback system

Cardinal Solutions2019-06-17
  3. "Good place to be a consultant"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits; lots of perks and lots of company events.

Cons

Teams are too fluid and formed dynamically as projects arive. Therefore teams only form-and-storm and rarely norm-and-perform. The culture is only as good as the events and sideshows allow since the project work is rarely rewarding.

Advice to Management

Strategic direction is narrowly focused on skill-sets (e.g. Microsoft) which are too broadly available in the market to get command higher bill rates (and thus salaries/benefits). Its simple supply and demand. Diversify into specializations and/or domains that command higher value in the market.

Cardinal Solutions2018-08-12
  4. "Managing Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary was very very good

Cons

The bench policy was very misleading

Advice to Management

Ask twice, and then ask again!

Cardinal Solutions2018-08-03

"Not much more than your average staff aug shop..."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reimbursement offered for training/certifications, potential to relocate to other office locations

Cons

As the title says, Cardinal was little more that a staff augmentation shop when I was there, there was very little actual "consulting" work to be had. It wasn't a bad place to work, but growth opportunities were limited, all of the quarterly, practice area, team building, etc. meetings held after hours were cumbersome, consultant work/life balance was noteable a lack of concern for management, and compensation... packages were absolutely sub-par.

Advice to Management

Worry less about preaching your "good to great" philosophy, and try to be something more than a body shop.

Cardinal Solutions2018-06-06

"Great for someone out of high school"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Medical insurance plan. Excellent at hiring employees without any clue as to what they will do.

Cons

Really too many to list. High turnover, stale work environment. Lots of idle time and a high favoritism environment. Advancing opportunities are not there. Don't take the bait if you truly think you'll advance here.

Advice to Management

Wow...where to start. CEO needs a true vision of where he wants his company to go. Truly a guppy in a shark tank.

Cardinal Solutions2018-02-04

February 9, 2018Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. I'll pass your comments (both positive and negative) on to the management team. --DM

"Buyer beware"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Columbus, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training. Downtown location with own parking. Company events. Good place for junior developers to start.

Cons

Sink or swim environment. Organization paints an initial facade as a "true" consulting company with projects to be fulfilled and developed but in the end it's an elaborate staff augmentation firm. Focus is mainly toward Microsoft technologies and thus if they are interested in some niche skill set that you may have or toward most technologies outside of Microsoft technologies...Buyer Beware! Not good place for... seasoned developers to advance careers. Very much of a good old boys/country club atmosphere.

Cardinal Solutions2018-01-31

February 9, 2018Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. I'll pass your comments (good & bad) on to the management team. --DM

"Talks the talk, but..."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cardinal likes seeing its employees gain certifications and will reimburse those. Paid parking as well, which is nice when working uptown. The office has the feel of a smaller company. First name basis everywhere. Occasionally you get to work on variant projects with new technology and expand your knowledge. At least for the first 6 months I was there, they fed us well and regularly and kept the fridge... stocked with beer. It slumped toward the end, however.

Cons

Salary is generally less then you will receive elsewhere for roles with similar responsibilities. You can definitely make more money elsewhere. However, Cardinal bills themselves as delivering on a better total package, especially in their work culture. They do not follow through on this, however, as you will see below. Cardinal talks about being family-friendly and flexible. This doesn't line up with my... experience. As a new parent, and having worked out a flexible but 40+ hour schedule with a manager who left Cardinal, I was actually dismissed for working that schedule after the manager went to another company. I was given no formal warnings before that dismissal either...it was retconned to 3 months in the past. No other writeups or warnings about performance existed. To the contrary, I had accolades from every client I had worked with up to that point. This was all done just a few weeks after I mentioned a need for leave for the birth of my 2nd child in a few weeks. Cardinal offers no paternity leave, so it was going to be my PTO used to help at home for a few weeks at most. I would have become FMLA eligible shortly after the birth of my daughter. Cardinal elected instead to concoct a cause for dismissal rather than be placed at risk of having a consultant on the roster with a new child and special scheduling needs. Obviously, they claim this is not the case, but the facts don't support their claim. So, if you want to work at Cardinal, don't have kids and do plan to be there from 8-5 daily, onsite, regardless of what you may be told or agree to with a manager. Or frankly, be there long enough that you can work the flexible schedule some people seem to be allowed. Typical office hours for some departments will be from about 10-4. So yes, it's a two-tiered, hypocritical approach to work flexibility. As a consultant, you will have very little choice as to what projects you may be assigned to next. Volunteerism can get you in trouble, as management will take that and throw you into the less attractive roles, while giving the plum assignments to those who hold out and are pickier. You need to walk a fine line between raising your hand and being reluctant to work undesirable assignments. I never said no to any work offered to me, whether I had bandwidth to do the work or not, because I never really felt comfortable making such a refusal. One person I saw bounced from role to role practically weekly as a result of being too willing to help. It was brutal to watch. It's very much possible to get put on a staff aug projectonsite with a client for years and be practically forgotten...which may actually be the best result of all, depending on your perspective.

Advice to Management

Your Careers page says: "We employ smart people and keep them happy." To deliver on that, you need to recognize that successful, smart people also have lives and families. Mike and Kelly do believe that. I have met both and shaken both their hands and I believe Mike especially has a dedication to having consultants for Cardinal be able to have a life at home. However, the experience I just had speaks to an... inability to deliver on this dream. I have watched as many family people burn out, working incessant hours at home, traveling constant. In early, home late, laptops out at home. Human resources fails to turn around candidates in a timely manner and opportunities are lost. Sales keeps consultants in the lurch with uncertainty about future assignments. Management fails to properly assess situations as they arise, and in my case at least, went with an unnecessarily punitive approach to "solve" a problem that wasn't a problem. I was not a perfect employee; nobody is. I worked *very* hard during my first 7 months at Cardinal. My last 2 months, I was left adrift and directionless, with no manager but also not directive to self-manage and make things happen. Motivation was hard to find. I maintained a slow burn but honestly was already one foot out the door because of the lack of attention to the team I worked on. In many ways, Cardinal did me a favor by releasing me...however Cardinal has the seeds of a strong organization to which I would gladly return if they could deliver on the promises made upon hiring. We are people, not human capital. We have lives and these aren't factory jobs. Trust us to be where we are needed when we are needed. Don't treat us like children. Make your processes more transparent. Above all, be honest. Don't look to gain leverage over employees for short-term gain. Look at us as the partners we are. Recognize that, especially in the smaller cities where Cardinal is a larger player, that you are likely to see many of us again even after we leave. Even if a role doesn't work out, the organization has a responsibility to be professional. Even in my short time at Cardinal, I saw abdications of responsibility from management on several occasions. We have large networks, and Cardinal is gaining a bit of a reputation from conversations I have had with friends. That reputation will only get worse as I share my experience as well. If you want to stop that toxic spread of information, the best way to do it is simple. Keep people happy, as you promised above. Part of that is also to treat them fairly.

Cardinal Solutions2018-01-16

February 9, 2018Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. As always, I make sure the management team sees all comments, positive and negative. We are always working on ways to improve. --DM

"Great company, great culture"

Principal Consultant in Delaware, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions

Pros

Challenging atmosphere, trust in employees, lots of opportunity to learn new technology, able to be “self managed”, fun location downtown

Cons

Very distanced from management (pro?), no room for upward advancement, still a little old school about working remotely and flexibility

Cardinal Solutions2017-12-04

"Honest, hardworking, fun"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Kelly and Nick worked hard to make this company what it is today. It speaks volumes that they have grown to approximately 500 consultants supporting 7 offices over 21 years. They have found a great leadership staff to support their day-to-day sales and operations. They know how to find and retain talent and I would highly recommend Cardinal as a career or solutions provider.

Cons

You have to like consulting or this is not going to be for you. Account Managers own placement of your next project and you may not have an option on where you go/what you do.

Advice to Management

Engage the consultants and utilize their networks. Be more transparent in sale goals/initiatives. Also, coach new people on what type of hires to look for. The goal should be to hire people they would want to work next to...not a bonus for every new hire they get. While the bonus is a great incentive, I feel it opens to the door for employees to push unqualified people through to get a bonus.

Cardinal Solutions2017-11-28