Cardinal Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Cardinal Solutions CEO Kelly P Conway
Kelly P Conway

"Talks the talk, but..."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cardinal likes seeing its employees gain certifications and will reimburse those. Paid parking as well, which is nice when working uptown. The office has the feel of a smaller company. First name basis everywhere. Occasionally you get to work on variant projects with new technology and expand your knowledge. At least for the first 6 months I was there, they fed us well and regularly and kept the fridge... stocked with beer. It slumped toward the end, however.

Cons

Salary is generally less then you will receive elsewhere for roles with similar responsibilities. You can definitely make more money elsewhere. However, Cardinal bills themselves as delivering on a better total package, especially in their work culture. They do not follow through on this, however, as you will see below. Cardinal talks about being family-friendly and flexible. This doesn't line up with my... experience. As a new parent, and having worked out a flexible but 40+ hour schedule with a manager who left Cardinal, I was actually dismissed for working that schedule after the manager went to another company. I was given no formal warnings before that dismissal either...it was retconned to 3 months in the past. No other writeups or warnings about performance existed. To the contrary, I had accolades from every client I had worked with up to that point. This was all done just a few weeks after I mentioned a need for leave for the birth of my 2nd child in a few weeks. Cardinal offers no paternity leave, so it was going to be my PTO used to help at home for a few weeks at most. I would have become FMLA eligible shortly after the birth of my daughter. Cardinal elected instead to concoct a cause for dismissal rather than be placed at risk of having a consultant on the roster with a new child and special scheduling needs. Obviously, they claim this is not the case, but the facts don't support their claim. So, if you want to work at Cardinal, don't have kids and do plan to be there from 8-5 daily, onsite, regardless of what you may be told or agree to with a manager. Or frankly, be there long enough that you can work the flexible schedule some people seem to be allowed. Typical office hours for some departments will be from about 10-4. So yes, it's a two-tiered, hypocritical approach to work flexibility. As a consultant, you will have very little choice as to what projects you may be assigned to next. Volunteerism can get you in trouble, as management will take that and throw you into the less attractive roles, while giving the plum assignments to those who hold out and are pickier. You need to walk a fine line between raising your hand and being reluctant to work undesirable assignments. I never said no to any work offered to me, whether I had bandwidth to do the work or not, because I never really felt comfortable making such a refusal. One person I saw bounced from role to role practically weekly as a result of being too willing to help. It was brutal to watch. It's very much possible to get put on a staff aug projectonsite with a client for years and be practically forgotten...which may actually be the best result of all, depending on your perspective.

Advice to Management

Your Careers page says: "We employ smart people and keep them happy." To deliver on that, you need to recognize that successful, smart people also have lives and families. Mike and Kelly do believe that. I have met both and shaken both their hands and I believe Mike especially has a dedication to having consultants for Cardinal be able to have a life at home. However, the experience I just had speaks to an... inability to deliver on this dream. I have watched as many family people burn out, working incessant hours at home, traveling constant. In early, home late, laptops out at home. Human resources fails to turn around candidates in a timely manner and opportunities are lost. Sales keeps consultants in the lurch with uncertainty about future assignments. Management fails to properly assess situations as they arise, and in my case at least, went with an unnecessarily punitive approach to "solve" a problem that wasn't a problem. I was not a perfect employee; nobody is. I worked *very* hard during my first 7 months at Cardinal. My last 2 months, I was left adrift and directionless, with no manager but also not directive to self-manage and make things happen. Motivation was hard to find. I maintained a slow burn but honestly was already one foot out the door because of the lack of attention to the team I worked on. In many ways, Cardinal did me a favor by releasing me...however Cardinal has the seeds of a strong organization to which I would gladly return if they could deliver on the promises made upon hiring. We are people, not human capital. We have lives and these aren't factory jobs. Trust us to be where we are needed when we are needed. Don't treat us like children. Make your processes more transparent. Above all, be honest. Don't look to gain leverage over employees for short-term gain. Look at us as the partners we are. Recognize that, especially in the smaller cities where Cardinal is a larger player, that you are likely to see many of us again even after we leave. Even if a role doesn't work out, the organization has a responsibility to be professional. Even in my short time at Cardinal, I saw abdications of responsibility from management on several occasions. We have large networks, and Cardinal is gaining a bit of a reputation from conversations I have had with friends. That reputation will only get worse as I share my experience as well. If you want to stop that toxic spread of information, the best way to do it is simple. Keep people happy, as you promised above. Part of that is also to treat them fairly.

Cardinal Solutions2018-01-16

February 9, 2018Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. As always, I make sure the management team sees all comments, positive and negative. We are always working on ways to improve. --DM

"Great company, great culture"

Principal Consultant in Delaware, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions

Pros

Challenging atmosphere, trust in employees, lots of opportunity to learn new technology, able to be “self managed”, fun location downtown

Cons

Very distanced from management (pro?), no room for upward advancement, still a little old school about working remotely and flexibility

Cardinal Solutions2017-12-04

"Honest, hardworking, fun"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Kelly and Nick worked hard to make this company what it is today. It speaks volumes that they have grown to approximately 500 consultants supporting 7 offices over 21 years. They have found a great leadership staff to support their day-to-day sales and operations. They know how to find and retain talent and I would highly recommend Cardinal as a career or solutions provider.

Cons

You have to like consulting or this is not going to be for you. Account Managers own placement of your next project and you may not have an option on where you go/what you do.

Advice to Management

Engage the consultants and utilize their networks. Be more transparent in sale goals/initiatives. Also, coach new people on what type of hires to look for. The goal should be to hire people they would want to work next to...not a bonus for every new hire they get. While the bonus is a great incentive, I feel it opens to the door for employees to push unqualified people through to get a bonus.

Cardinal Solutions2017-11-28

"Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great to work with -- hard working, very smart, and fun; always striving to improve I actually feel valued and appreciated by management I get to work on amazing projects -- not always awesome, but many truly are amazing I feel empowered -- very flat org chart; Team Leads help/encourage people to achieve their goals The 2 co-owners are good people who treat everyone well Truly a "consulting" firm... -- not a staffing/contracting firm; many companies engage Cardinal for strategic guidance

Cons

Like any consulting firm, some projects are good, some less so

Cardinal Solutions2017-11-20
  5. "Best Company I've Ever Worked for"

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work From Home sometimes Great Culture Very transparent, CEO visits offices quarterly and takes you out for dinner! Beer in the fridge Ping pong / Foosball in the office

Cons

Slow at times Staff aug, which stinks because while working for someone else you begin to really appreciate how awesome it is at Cardinal

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Cardinal Solutions2017-11-15

"Self Growth Driven Consulting Group"

Current Employee - Consultant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Solid company growth year over year 2. Solid business partnerships 3. Provides employees opportunities to train, learn, and gain different experiences in different practices while not assigned to clients. 4. Great Benefits Package 5. Opportunity, Engagement, and Invovlement within IT/Tech community

Cons

1. Company promotes working with the latest technologies but tends to only appoint/assign it's internal management level employees to those opportunities. 2. If placed at a client, you will most likley not be considered for any other work unless your assignment doesn't need you anymore. 3. Assignments at clients tend to match your current skill set or below and do not allow for time outside of client allocation... to increase skill levels. 4. Delicate work/life balance. Great company for Millenials without families, not so much for people with young/growing famlies. 5. Compensation/promotion/bonus opporuntities unclear.

Advice to Management

1. Utilize employees that want to stay with the company and grow with the company. Company seems to frequently overlook valued (capable) employees when working through ideas/ new opportuntities and tends to look for new employees just to fill specific roles.

Cardinal Solutions2017-10-17

"Energetic, fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers, morale is high and attitude is great. Plenty of opportunities to learn new things and grow your skills. Fun social activities, plenty of company-sponsored events. Great communication from management.

Cons

Contract work; you might get difficult assignments. Sometimes you are at a client site, not close the offices.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Cardinal Solutions2017-09-27

October 10, 2017Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the great feedback! I'll make sure both your Pros and Cons are seen by the right people. --DM

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome and fun place to work

Cons

It can be tough as a consultant to be at client sites.

Cardinal Solutions2017-09-05

October 10, 2017Recruiting Manager

Brevity is the soul of wit... ;) I'll pass your comments to our management team. Thanks for taking time to post your feedback. --DM

9. "Cardinal Solutions is SO close to being the #1 best place to work in Charlotte"

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time

Pros

- Growth opportunities - Culture - Healthy mix of men and women in IT - Get to work for various clients, different projects - Hone your communication skills - Unlimited sick days - Work/life balance - Learn cutting edge technology

Cons

- Easy to place consultants in 'staff-aug' roles & leave them there - Not easily recognized for contributions to Cardinal

Advice to Management

I think Cardinal as a whole should really try to lean away from staff-aug roles given to consultants. Team based projects are what we want! The "Cardinal environment" is half the reason why we want to work for Cardinal in the first place. Other than that, keep up the great work of being one of the top 10 best places to work in Charlotte. The work atmosphere in the Cardinal office is nothing short of positive vibes,... supportive groups, and friendship.

Cardinal Solutions2017-08-17

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time

Pros

- Great People - Fun/Inclusive culture - Flexible work/life balance

Cons

- Can get placed on bad assignment - Vision for company disjointed due to company structure

Advice to Management

Culture is great, maintain that through continued growth.

Cardinal Solutions2017-08-24