Cardinal Solutions "staff aug" Reviews | Glassdoor

Cardinal Solutions Employee Reviews about "staff aug"

Updated Jun 17, 2019

Found 123 reviews

4.1
Cardinal Solutions CEO Kelly P Conway
Kelly P Conway
Pros
Cons
  • "Easy to place consultants in 'staff-aug' roles & leave them there(in 7 reviews)

• "As the title says, Cardinal was little more that a staff augmentation shop when I was there, there was very little actual "consulting" work to be had(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "staff aug"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Project Management"

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are great Salary is decent Benefits are good

Cons

Salary could be higher Staff aug work

Advice to Management

Better bonuses!

Cardinal Solutions2018-09-14

"Talks the talk, but..."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cardinal likes seeing its employees gain certifications and will reimburse those. Paid parking as well, which is nice when working uptown. The office has the feel of a smaller company. First name basis everywhere. Occasionally you get to work on variant projects with new technology and expand your knowledge. At least for the first 6 months I was there, they fed us well and regularly and kept the fridge... stocked with beer. It slumped toward the end, however.

Cons

Salary is generally less then you will receive elsewhere for roles with similar responsibilities. You can definitely make more money elsewhere. However, Cardinal bills themselves as delivering on a better total package, especially in their work culture. They do not follow through on this, however, as you will see below. Cardinal talks about being family-friendly and flexible. This doesn't line up with my... experience. As a new parent, and having worked out a flexible but 40+ hour schedule with a manager who left Cardinal, I was actually dismissed for working that schedule after the manager went to another company. I was given no formal warnings before that dismissal either...it was retconned to 3 months in the past. No other writeups or warnings about performance existed. To the contrary, I had accolades from every client I had worked with up to that point. This was all done just a few weeks after I mentioned a need for leave for the birth of my 2nd child in a few weeks. Cardinal offers no paternity leave, so it was going to be my PTO used to help at home for a few weeks at most. I would have become FMLA eligible shortly after the birth of my daughter. Cardinal elected instead to concoct a cause for dismissal rather than be placed at risk of having a consultant on the roster with a new child and special scheduling needs. Obviously, they claim this is not the case, but the facts don't support their claim. So, if you want to work at Cardinal, don't have kids and do plan to be there from 8-5 daily, onsite, regardless of what you may be told or agree to with a manager. Or frankly, be there long enough that you can work the flexible schedule some people seem to be allowed. Typical office hours for some departments will be from about 10-4. So yes, it's a two-tiered, hypocritical approach to work flexibility. As a consultant, you will have very little choice as to what projects you may be assigned to next. Volunteerism can get you in trouble, as management will take that and throw you into the less attractive roles, while giving the plum assignments to those who hold out and are pickier. You need to walk a fine line between raising your hand and being reluctant to work undesirable assignments. I never said no to any work offered to me, whether I had bandwidth to do the work or not, because I never really felt comfortable making such a refusal. One person I saw bounced from role to role practically weekly as a result of being too willing to help. It was brutal to watch. It's very much possible to get put on a staff aug projectonsite with a client for years and be practically forgotten...which may actually be the best result of all, depending on your perspective.

Advice to Management

Your Careers page says: "We employ smart people and keep them happy." To deliver on that, you need to recognize that successful, smart people also have lives and families. Mike and Kelly do believe that. I have met both and shaken both their hands and I believe Mike especially has a dedication to having consultants for Cardinal be able to have a life at home. However, the experience I just had speaks to an... inability to deliver on this dream. I have watched as many family people burn out, working incessant hours at home, traveling constant. In early, home late, laptops out at home. Human resources fails to turn around candidates in a timely manner and opportunities are lost. Sales keeps consultants in the lurch with uncertainty about future assignments. Management fails to properly assess situations as they arise, and in my case at least, went with an unnecessarily punitive approach to "solve" a problem that wasn't a problem. I was not a perfect employee; nobody is. I worked *very* hard during my first 7 months at Cardinal. My last 2 months, I was left adrift and directionless, with no manager but also not directive to self-manage and make things happen. Motivation was hard to find. I maintained a slow burn but honestly was already one foot out the door because of the lack of attention to the team I worked on. In many ways, Cardinal did me a favor by releasing me...however Cardinal has the seeds of a strong organization to which I would gladly return if they could deliver on the promises made upon hiring. We are people, not human capital. We have lives and these aren't factory jobs. Trust us to be where we are needed when we are needed. Don't treat us like children. Make your processes more transparent. Above all, be honest. Don't look to gain leverage over employees for short-term gain. Look at us as the partners we are. Recognize that, especially in the smaller cities where Cardinal is a larger player, that you are likely to see many of us again even after we leave. Even if a role doesn't work out, the organization has a responsibility to be professional. Even in my short time at Cardinal, I saw abdications of responsibility from management on several occasions. We have large networks, and Cardinal is gaining a bit of a reputation from conversations I have had with friends. That reputation will only get worse as I share my experience as well. If you want to stop that toxic spread of information, the best way to do it is simple. Keep people happy, as you promised above. Part of that is also to treat them fairly.

Cardinal Solutions2018-01-16

Cardinal Solutions Response

February 9, 2018Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. As always, I make sure the management team sees all comments, positive and negative. We are always working on ways to improve. --DM

3. "Best Company I've Ever Worked for"

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work From Home sometimes Great Culture Very transparent, CEO visits offices quarterly and takes you out for dinner! Beer in the fridge Ping pong / Foosball in the office

Cons

Slow at times Staff aug, which stinks because while working for someone else you begin to really appreciate how awesome it is at Cardinal

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Cardinal Solutions2017-11-15
  4. "Cardinal Solutions is SO close to being the #1 best place to work in Charlotte"

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time

Pros

- Growth opportunities - Culture - Healthy mix of men and women in IT - Get to work for various clients, different projects - Hone your communication skills - Unlimited sick days - Work/life balance - Learn cutting edge technology

Cons

- Easy to place consultants in 'staff-aug' roles & leave them there - Not easily recognized for contributions to Cardinal

Advice to Management

I think Cardinal as a whole should really try to lean away from staff-aug roles given to consultants. Team based projects are what we want! The "Cardinal environment" is half the reason why we want to work for Cardinal in the first place. Other than that, keep up the great work of being one of the top 10 best places to work in Charlotte. The work atmosphere in the Cardinal office is nothing short of positive vibes,... supportive groups, and friendship.

Cardinal Solutions2017-08-17
  5. "Good company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities for growth if you find and take them A lot of company events, within your practice and office, to network Great job at showing the status of the company

Cons

A lot of Staff Aug work Nothing to do on the bench Client contracts and billable hours take priority over individual employee goals

Advice to Management

Work with employees to see if opportunities align to their goals. It wont always match, but it doesnt seem that employees have any weigh in on the work they are assigned.

Cardinal Solutions2017-07-06
  6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions

Pros

Open Culture, room to grow, working around great people -- the top in the industry.

Cons

Can be staff-aug at times (if you don't like that), has potential to be too fast-paced for some

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Cardinal Solutions2015-09-30

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

I highly recommend Cardinal to anyone looking for a rewarding career in consulting. They do a great job coaching/mentoring young consultants and developing senior talent. A few of the reviews for Columbus are negative, and I could not disagree more. I have been a part of the company for nearly two years and it has been the most rewarding venture in my career thus far. There is a unique culture that not everyone is a... fit for, but in my opinion, people here work hard and play hard. I have learned more from the other consultants than I ever expected to at a company. It is a very rewarding place to work. Not all assignments are perfect, but that is consulting.

Cons

Need to diversify the client base but I have noticed they are making headway. Continue to focus on new strategic consulting gigs and less staff aug.

Advice to Management

See cons

Cardinal Solutions2012-11-30