Cardno Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 1, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cardno CEO & Managing Director Richard Wankmuller
Richard Wankmuller

Pros
  • Great people, friendly and diverse environment (in 13 reviews)

• Great work environment that provides flexibility while offering opportunities for professional and technical growth (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The only thing valued by upper management is (in 15 reviews)

• The work-life balance was also terrible- you were expected to be online 24/7 (in 8 reviews)

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cardno full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with opportunity to grow technical skills including assessment and remediation. Diverse technological applications for remediation. Additional opportunities to travel and expand business.

Cons

Company needed to diversify beyond primary contract for oil and gas client. High employee turnover after primary contract took effect.

Advice to Management

Need to diversify into sectors beyond oil and gas.

2. "Cardno"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wexford, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wexford, PA

I have been working at Cardno (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great IT staff and IT management.

Cons

Market stability is not great and company is going through a lot of reorganization.

"Environmental"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cardno full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cardno offers many work opportunities and everyone is constantly busy. We have multiple offices making work in new areas possible.

Cons

Cardno does not value their emoloyees and hard working people get use up quickly without good benefits. Cardno is only starting to compensate for insane overtime.

Advice to Management

Cardno would benifit from leadership and training for managers and employees in addition to placing value on employees.

"Ok to work for"

Former Employee - Cash Applications Coordinator/Treasury Clerk in Commerce City, CO

I worked at Cardno (More than a year)

Pros

Insurance, management, pay, flex ability, culture

Cons

Hours, work load, culture, values, upper management

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Varied Interesting Projects, Good connection with global Cardno

Cons

Long Hours, Limited support, Isolated from employees working on similar projects.

Advice to Management

Provide greater opportunities for employees professional development. Develop network for employees to share best practices and brainstorm solutions to challenges.

"Great colleagues, but organization dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Development Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Development Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cardno full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was my first full-time job in international development, and was a great learning experience. It exposed me to so many different parts of the industry- business development, technical work, program management. Since our company was smaller than its competitors, I was given the opportunity to take on very challenging work early on (because they didn't have the more senior manpower they needed).

Cons

The working environment was great when it was Emerging Markets Group (independent of Cardno), but after Cardno bought it, the company became dysfunctional. Cardno (as an engineering firm based in Australia) did not understand the international development market in the US, and did not give our group in Arlington the resources or support we needed to be successful. That's why everyone started leaving. And as everyone started leaving (without being replaced), the place became more dysfunctional and more cut-throat. The work-life balance was also terrible- you were expected to be online 24/7.

Advice to Management

Give the company the resources it needs to do business development properly. Do not rely on program staff (who are already overextended) to also drive business development.

"Cardno (Restoration Services division, formerly JFNew)"

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Madison, WI

Pros

In over 5 years of employment I primarily worked on the ecological restoration projects but also was involved with environmental consulting projects as needed. I was let go recently due to lack of upcoming work and an over-budget project that I inherited from my predecessor. Restoration Services division Pros:
    ~you get good experience on a variety of ecological restoration and consulting projects
    ~ great staff/ co-workers
    ~a lot of technical expertise is available across the company
    ~great benefit package, offer some flex time (mostly for more mid-senior level folks)
    ~ if you have been with the company for long enough they may let you work from your home
    ~provide hands-on training in the field
    ~ there is great upward mobility if you say yes to everything management throws at you
    ~great employees usually get raises/bonuses even if the company had a sub-par year (this is because lower management will fight for you if you say "yes" enough)
    ~seasonal/term employees get overtime
    ~ there are limited funds for attending conferences/ outside training
    ~Great place for preliminary training as a seasonal employee, and you will likely be moved to full time after several seasons.
    ~Most of the seasonal work focuses on herbicide application to invasive species in wetlands, operation of trucks, trailers, ATVs, Skid steers, tractors, chainsaws, brush cutters, seeders, sprayers, tree planters/augers, and hand tools.
    ~This is a growing field, and Cardno is a great place to gain experience, but I got the feeling that ultimately you will have to sacrifice too much of your personal life in order to be successful within the company. I have confidence in the new CEO (Richard Wankmueller) and I truly enjoyed working with the people at Cardno, I became burnt out and unhappy with my treatment (see "advice to management")

Cons

Restoration Services division doesn't provide much guidance or training for your career (you have to figure it out on your own), Seasonal/term employees don't get benefits/PTO, salaried employees usually don't see any benefits for exceeding their chargeable goals, if projects go over-budget the annual bonus pool is reduced, the company answers to shareholders in Australia, there is management pressure to bid jobs competitively (in order to build the company resume) while in reality it isn't possible for the PM to complete the project on budget (this reflects poorly on the PM and makes it tougher to get a raise). Supervisors and lower management are often too stressed with their own projects and cannot provide training or guidance to new employees. You have to be your own cheerleader; managers are too busy to notice what you are doing. If you work hard enough to advance your career, you will likely not have much free time. You are always expected to respond to emails and phone calls sometimes even on weekends. Generally, you are usually encouraged to use your PTO during the the slow season (Winter). Generally, you will be working 50-70 hours per week during the growing season.

Advice to Management

~Create a better training guide(s) specific to each job
    ~Reduce the project load for managers and supervisors so they can take a more active role in training and assimilation of new employees
    ~Try to end the seasonal employee model so operations managers don't have to train brand new employees every year.
    ~ Reduce some of the redundancies in the system (AST is useless, Concur needs to be streamlined).
    ~Remove some of the administrative tasks from project managers and put them on overhead/admin staff.
    ~Integrate the safety program across all of Cardno.
    ~Offer current employees the opportunity to move to a different office to avoid temporary layoffs.
    ~Provide consistent comprehensive feedback to employees regarding performance.
    ~Offer adequate compensation to staff exceeding their billable hours (I had weeks where I worked 70+ billable hours and didn't even get a "thank you").
    ~Invest in your employees, but don't burn them out: I was "promoted" out of necessity (my boss left the company) and I wasn't given adequate compensation for all of my new duties. I asked for a legitimate salary adjustment at the time of the promotion, but never received it. I tried hard for 6 months thinking management would notice and give me the raise I had asked for, but they didn't. After 6 months I became burned out/ disgruntled, especially when I noticed the "promotion" to being a salaried employee was actually a pay cut according to my taxes. Ultimately I stopped working as hard and caring as much due to the inadequate compensation. Eventually I was let go because of it.

9. "Financial crisis in Energy Sector creates massive layoff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Cardno (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work, challenging and collaborative divisions

Cons

Leadership thinks broadscale layoffs are effective in creating financial solvency but only result in less effective workforce due to gaps created

Advice to Management

Add value to employees by including them in the discussion needed prior to leadership decisions.

10. "Cardno ATC"

Current Employee - Senior Industrial Hygienist in Southwick, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Industrial Hygienist in Southwick, MA

I have been working at Cardno full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice laid back Work Environment.

Cons

Management has little to no direction. There is no incentive to do good work. Safety is not as high of a priority in reality as it is on paper.

"Great people, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cardno full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here several years ago in Virginia--the office had great people who loved coming to work in the morning.

Cons

Totally absentee leadership from Australia, middling middle management who coasted along as the company spiraled out of control.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategic direction that matches your qualifications and what the market demands, and implement it.