Cardno Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cardno CEO & Managing Director Richard Wankmuller
Richard Wankmuller

Pros
Cons
  • The only thing valued by upper management is (in 15 reviews)

• The work-life balance was also terrible- you were expected to be online 24/7 (in 8 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

Pros

I would not recommend working for Cardno

Cons

The company makes no effort to attempt to stand by core values

2. "Really enjoyed working there!"

Pros

Worked there for 7 months while in grad school, 20 hours a week--great experience! The best company culture I've ever experienced! Everyone was so nice, helpful, accommodating and they do a number of fun activities to really build the sense of team.

Work related: they let me get my feet wet in a variety of things, were really interested in helping me achieve and experience things I wanted. I was given real responsibilities and made to feel part of the team!

Cons

None that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about wages in some of the other positions. Sometimes people with very different ranges of experience had the same title-- doesn't seem fair.

3. "Emerging Markets Consultant"

I worked at Cardno full-time

Pros

Some good, committed colleagues with strong experience in the sector

Cons

An engineering firm suffering the consequences of very poorly thought out and executed acquisition strategy. The pressure of the negative impact on growth was passed on to the regular employees.

Advice to Management

Hire some people at the executive levels with appropriate leadershp and capability in strategic growth

5. "Highly Unstable Company Struggling to Find Direction"

I have been working at Cardno full-time

Pros

Co workers. Flexibility. Schedule. Benefits. Pay

Cons

Management is inept. Gone through 3 CEO's in two years.

Advice to Management

Get a plan together and stick to it. Far too much instability

"Worst Company"

Former Employee - Senior Geologist
    Former Employee - Senior Geologist

I worked at Cardno full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Gain experience to move to another company

Cons

They don't care about you.

Advice to Management

reward good work.

7. "Cardno Emerging Markets - Hopeless"

Former Employee - Development Contractor
    Former Employee - Development Contractor

I worked at Cardno full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ARF salaries and conditions are adequate, if lower than other equivalents

Cons

• Hopeless management in Australia and in program locations
    • Revolving staff door problem in corporate and contractor staff is indicative of management situation and worsens other existing problems
    • Program managers show unfamiliarity with even basic contractor law, client pay and condition agreements, and regularly tries to do contractors out of contractual entitlements
    • Fallen rapidly in DFAT rankings in a single year due to mismanaged programs - expect less business for them in future

Development contractors will find much better working environment and conditions at virtually any of Cardno Emerging Markets' competitors

8. "Nice People Confused Leadership"

I worked at Cardno full-time

Pros

The coworkers I had were all intelligent, professional and kind people. There are opportunities to work in the field or in the office.

Cons

The corporation as a whole seems confused by the number and types of businesses they own. It is an Australian engineering conglomorate that has purchased many different types of environmental service companies in the US. I believe the number and type of companies makes it difficult for them to set effective policies and strategies. Compensation often lags the market not because it isn't available to give but because of arbitrary rules imposed in order to treat all subsidiaries the same.

Advice to Management

For upper management, trust your regional and district managers to make decisions effectively to protect bottom line but promote the development and retention of good employees.

"The layoffs continue"

I have been working at Cardno full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people in the individual offices, if they don't get laid off. If you are lucky, you get severance pay ... which doesn't always happen.

Cons

The layoffs continue. They say they want to get more business, but seem completely out of touch on how to get it. The managers are so focused on short term numbers, that they get rid of the people that may not be billable, or not in now, but are essential to the growth of the business. They have gotten rid of top managers, and those mangers took the relationships, and therefore business, with them. They got rid of the top proposal managers because they felt their salaries were too high. Their excuse is that business is down. But if they knew what they were doing, they would be able to ride out the storm without hacking off essential body parts.

Advice to Management

Sell the company while you still can. The lucky ones already escaped ... you might as well do the same.

10. "Cardno"

Former Employee - Laboratory Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Laboratory Manager in Birmingham, AL

Pros

interesting projects
    good salary
    opportunity to work internationally
    pleasant working environment

I enjoyed my time at Cardno. The company has a large presence in the oil and gas sector as a civil design and construction management firm. There are benefits and drawbacks to working for a multi-national firm, and I eventually decided that I would prefer working for a mid-size firm based in the USA that was more focused in my area of expertise. I would still consider returning to Cardno.

Cons

large corporate bureaucracy
    poor work/life balance
    huge overhead costs cut into funds available for employee raises
    poor market sector outlook (oil and gas)

Advice to Management

I would recommend that management seek to diversify the business more out of the oil and gas sector. I would also recommend cutting through red tape and bureaucracy, which sometimes seemed to occupy more of my time than actually doing my job.

"Anonymous"

I worked at Cardno (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were great and job was challenging.

Cons

Company is slowly going down hill in the US with multiple lay offs, divestitures and poor moral. 4 CEOs in 2 years, each brings in their own hatch team. Upper management disinterested in what it takes to keep the company moving forward, only worried about cutting costs.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like disposable widgets that are no longer needed when a new CEO starts. Current CEO is no longer Richard Wankmuller.