Cardno Staff Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

0 Rating
  1. "Company Review"

Assistant Staff Scientist in Houston, TX

I worked at Cardno for more than 10 years

Pros

Coworkers at the company Cardno.

Cons

Company rebuilding so there is alot of commotion going on.

Cardno2016-10-02
  2. "So-so"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Scientist

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Guaranteed salary despite lulls in project work; rarely work weekends; adequate mentorship from higher-ups; good benefits (health, dental, non-matching 401k)

Cons

Salary below average. Mentorship pretty restrictive, ensuring senior staff to be the "experts" in their specialty; no bonuses; no 401k matching; corporate hoops

Advice to Management

Educate lower-level employees to have a more diverse knowledge of all aspects of consulting, so that they have enough experience to replace senior managers when they retire. And so they don't get bored and leave the company. Keep a CEO for more than 1-2 years.

Cardno2019-03-09

"Bureaucratic organization"

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice colleagues, flexible working hours

Cons

Not much investment in young employees, unsustainable growth

Cardno2017-11-30

"Fine for a first job"

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Columbia, MD

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steady work, nice coworkers. Learned a lot

Cons

Sometimes not enough people to complete everything. We worked several weekends. Zero possibilities of moving up in the company from this position.

Cardno2017-06-09

"Cardno (Restoration Services division, formerly JFNew)"

Staff Scientist in Madison, WI

I worked at Cardno

Pros

In over 5 years of employment I primarily worked on the ecological restoration projects but also was involved with environmental consulting projects as needed. I was let go recently due to lack of upcoming work and an over-budget project that I inherited from my predecessor. Restoration Services division Pros: ~you get good experience on a variety of ecological restoration and consulting projects ~ great staff/ co-workers ~a lot of technical expertise is available across the company ~great benefit package, offer some flex time (mostly for more mid-senior level folks) ~ if you have been with the company for long enough they may let you work from your home ~provide hands-on training in the field ~ there is great upward mobility if you say yes to everything management throws at you ~great employees usually get raises/bonuses even if the company had a sub-par year (this is because lower management will fight for you if you say "yes" enough) ~seasonal/term employees get overtime ~ there are limited funds for attending conferences/ outside training ~Great place for preliminary training as a seasonal employee, and you will likely be moved to full time after several seasons. ~Most of the seasonal work focuses on herbicide application to invasive species in wetlands, operation of trucks, trailers, ATVs, Skid steers, tractors, chainsaws, brush cutters, seeders, sprayers, tree planters/augers, and hand tools. ~This is a growing field, and Cardno is a great place to gain experience, but I got the feeling that ultimately you will have to sacrifice too much of your personal life in order to be successful within the company. I have confidence in the new CEO (Richard Wankmueller) and I truly enjoyed working with the people at Cardno, I became burnt out and unhappy with my treatment (see "advice to management")

Cons

Restoration Services division doesn't provide much guidance or training for your career (you have to figure it out on your own), Seasonal/term employees don't get benefits/PTO, salaried employees usually don't see any benefits for exceeding their chargeable goals, if projects go over-budget the annual bonus pool is reduced, the company answers to shareholders in Australia, there is management pressure to bid jobs competitively (in order to build the company resume) while in reality it isn't possible for the PM to complete the project on budget (this reflects poorly on the PM and makes it tougher to get a raise). Supervisors and lower management are often too stressed with their own projects and cannot provide training or guidance to new employees. You have to be your own cheerleader; managers are too busy to notice what you are doing. If you work hard enough to advance your career, you will likely not have much free time. You are always expected to respond to emails and phone calls sometimes even on weekends. Generally, you are usually encouraged to use your PTO during the the slow season (Winter). Generally, you will be working 50-70 hours per week during the growing season.

Advice to Management

~Create a better training guide(s) specific to each job ~Reduce the project load for managers and supervisors so they can take a more active role in training and assimilation of new employees ~Try to end the seasonal employee model so operations managers don't have to train brand new employees every year. ~ Reduce some of the redundancies in the system (AST is useless, Concur needs to be streamlined). ~Remove some of the administrative tasks from project managers and put them on overhead/admin staff. ~Integrate the safety program across all of Cardno. ~Offer current employees the opportunity to move to a different office to avoid temporary layoffs. ~Provide consistent comprehensive feedback to employees regarding performance. ~Offer adequate compensation to staff exceeding their billable hours (I had weeks where I worked 70+ billable hours and didn't even get a "thank you"). ~Invest in your employees, but don't burn them out: I was "promoted" out of necessity (my boss left the company) and I wasn't given adequate compensation for all of my new duties. I asked for a legitimate salary adjustment at the time of the promotion, but never received it. I tried hard for 6 months thinking management would notice and give me the raise I had asked for, but they didn't. After 6 months I became burned out/ disgruntled, especially when I noticed the "promotion" to being a salaried employee was actually a pay cut according to my taxes. Ultimately I stopped working as hard and caring as much due to the inadequate compensation. Eventually I was let go because of it.

Cardno2015-12-28

"ok place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diversity of projects, hard working employees

Cons

Management doesn't care about you, insanely high cost of health benefits, travel for weeks on end, expected to work 60 + hours a week, they prefer to hire their friends for advanced positions instead of investing in excellent current staff for promotions

Advice to Management

Try caring more

Cardno2015-05-19

"I was an Operations and Maintenance Field technician."

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good training, exciting job sites, safe work environment stressed, travel (per diem) and where I worked, we mostly all got along well. Christmas (holiday) parties were nice. Overtime pay makes up for lower salary. This was until I left in 2010.

Cons

ERI was being bought out by a larger Cardno in 2010, and things started to change from a small company feel to big company games. The pay was at the lower end of the spectrum (for my position) while I was there. In order to get contracts, ERI under bid some projects.

Advice to Management

A Certain branch manager used intimidation to get his job done. When this didn't work, some people found themselves out of a job.

Cardno2015-01-14

"Good place to start career"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Scientist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed work environment, opportunity to learn new things, good work/life balance, opportunity for overtime

Cons

High turnover and different divisions have trouble working together

Cardno2014-12-19

"Fun but Irritating"

Former Employee - Assistant Staff Scientist

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than a year

Pros

Variety of jobs, option to travel, good people.

Cons

Beware the office culture if you are a field scientist (biologist/archaeologist) Office culture is out of touch with field workers and their needs. Even if on an individual level they do their best to accommodate you while in the field, the guidelines for expense reimbursement and inconsistencies in what is reimburseable are quite a hassle.

Advice to Management

Simplify your expense reporting and provide opportunities for junior level employees to learn and grow. Trust us. We are capable of more than you give us credit for. Pay should increase/decrease with performance reviews. Unfortunately, this is not the case,

Cardno2014-10-28

"Great place to work, but horrible pay"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Cardno part-time for more than a year

Pros

very flexible, Co-workers are great to work with, office environment is great. Willing to spend money on new equipment, which cuts down on field work time.

Cons

The pay is awful, never recognized for hard work. After being bought out a lot of higher management is jumping ship.

Cardno2014-06-25