Cardno "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Cardno Reviews

Updated Aug 6, 2019

3.4
Cardno CEO and Managing Director Susan Reisbord
Susan Reisbord

"International Development Consulting Firm - hard work, low pay"

Former Employee - Senior Development Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, shared values, collaborative work environment, many in-house training opportunities

Cons

high stress, overloaded with work, underpaid, cannot avoid writing proposals which includes long hours, weekends & stress caused by tight deadlines and review panels.

Advice to Management

Try to strike more balance with work/life balance

Cardno2015-03-02

"Good people, aggressive management."

Environmental Scientist in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Cardno

Pros

Very knowledgeable staff scientists. Learned a lot in a short time working in the field with Sr Scientists. Great work environment, family atmosphere.

Cons

Overbearing senior management. Questionable judgement. Leadership through orders not example. Ethically, I did not feel good about the impacts of our work.

Advice to Management

Call it how it is, not just how the client wants it to be.

Cardno2015-02-20

"I was an Operations and Maintenance Field technician."

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good training, exciting job sites, safe work environment stressed, travel (per diem) and where I worked, we mostly all got along well. Christmas (holiday) parties were nice. Overtime pay makes up for lower salary. This was until I left in 2010.

Cons

ERI was being bought out by a larger Cardno in 2010, and things started to change from a small company feel to big company games. The pay was at the lower end of the spectrum (for my position) while I was there. In order to get contracts, ERI under bid some projects.

Advice to Management

A Certain branch manager used intimidation to get his job done. When this didn't work, some people found themselves out of a job.

Cardno2015-01-14

"Good place to start career"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Scientist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed work environment, opportunity to learn new things, good work/life balance, opportunity for overtime

Cons

High turnover and different divisions have trouble working together

Cardno2014-12-19

"Not the Time to Be Working at Cardno"

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large corporation that managed to weather the economic storm of 2008 - present. Strong suite of services (some are commendable).

Cons

May be a good company to work for - in about five years. This is a word of warning to potential employees: Let the dust settle before you risk working for a company that's still trying to find its north star. Top management talks a good talk, but it becomes clear after the gloss fades that their lofty goals are based on dollars in their back pockets, with no anticipated trickle-down effect to the workers. Vertical accountability with no teamwork makes for a difficult work environment. If you need professional mentoring, look elsewhere. It's every man/woman for him/herself right now.

Advice to Management

We see potential "lifetime" career-minded employees at all levels jumping ship. Your growth goals are impressive, getting there with your current employees would be much more impressive. Blaming your missed company-wide goals on the economic environmental has become a lame (worn-out) excuse. Blaming it on the reduction of an environmental-response (i.e. short term) project makes you appear short-sighted. Blaming it on the weather makes you appear that you didn't know how to "save for a rainy day."

Cardno2014-09-02

"This company is ok for those seeking an entry level job, but not for motivated individuals looking to start a career."

Former Employee - Senior Staff Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people at the company are friendly and fun to work with. Lower level managers are friendly and approachable, and seem to genuinely care about their employees.

Cons

Management is completely disorganized and has a high turnover rate. Employees are often assigned to jobs above their qualifications with little supervision by a qualified coworker. In my opinion this company values individuals who will pretend they know what they are doing over more qualified individuals who are honest about their limitations. Also, receiving an email every 2 weeks about less than anticipated quarterly profits and layoffs does not facilitate a positive work environment. Finding a new job was the best career move I ever did.

Advice to Management

Develop a training and mentoring program for your employees. There is nothing worse for a motivated individual than to have a superior or mentor say they do not have time to help you, or tell just do what you think is right when approached with a legitimate question. There are a lot of smart scientists and engineers at the company who could educate one and other, however no effort is made to facilitate that due to the cost.

Cardno2013-05-16
  7. "Strong camaraderie, weak leadership"

Staff Geologist in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Cardno

Pros

If you enjoy a casual work environment, it is the most casual workplace I have worked. Manager and staff-level colleagues place a high priority on flexibility of schedule and significant level of autonomy in completing tasks.

Cons

Field employees aren't given the training necessary to excel. Limited client base prevents growth of the company and skill development.

Cardno2011-10-01
  8. "My experience at Cardno"

Former Contractor - M&E Manager in Kampala

I worked at Cardno for more than 3 years

Pros

-Opportunity for growth within the organisation -Staff's views considered E.g. when developing or reviewing employee related documents -Home office support to the field office -Very conducive working environment with the needed logistics -Structured systems in place

Cons

-Long term staff development programs not available for support

Advice to Management

-Have exchange learning visits for staff -Support more short-term to mid-term online courses to enhance staff career development -Keep up the pros indicated above

Cardno2019-05-30
  9. "Good Culture"

I worked at Cardno full-time

Pros

Good work environment and great people.

Cons

Very high turnover and lack of progression

Advice to Management

increase salaries to match market rates

Cardno2019-04-16
  10. "CMT Technician"

I have been working at Cardno full-time

Pros

Very Flexible options to pursue your career. Can be working on great variety of construction materials testing jobs, from laboratory to on site.

Cons

An unsupported work environment with poor leadership. Staff Turnover is high, making training and retention of skilled workers difficult.

Advice to Management

Give new employees a proper induction into the company. Be

Cardno2018-11-13