Cardno "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Cardno Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 14, 2019

3.3
Cardno CEO Susan Reisbord
Susan Reisbord
Pros
Cons
  • "Knee jerk decisions made by upper management filtered down to workers with no explanation(in 18 reviews)

• "Poor work/life balance and understable, bordering on tyrannical senior leadership(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Solid company with great work life balance"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work life balance. Casual dress in my office,nice people to work with, not micromanagers

Cons

Somewhat limited in job growth as pc

Cardno2019-09-11

"Archaeology-"Cardno (Restoration Services division, formerly JFNew)""

Former Employee - Archaeologist in Madison, WI

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent local team in the Fitchburg, WI office. Good local office culture. Team atmosphere. Technology available is above average

Cons

Poor work/life balance and understable, bordering on tyrannical senior leadership. Senior management rules by fear, bullying and intimidation and is all to willing to throw staff (especially science staff) under the bus to protect themselves or to divert blame. The focus is on process and paperwork rather than results. Yet staff are expected to produce miracles in client management, budgets and business... development on a regular basis. Budgets and timelines are often set by senior project managers who are only dimly aware of the nature or scope of the work assigned. Staff are expected to run multiple project (5-10) simultaneously, often with little or no support if resources and manpower are short. Work weeks often run into 50-70 hours and this is considered "within expectations". The company motto, at least in this division is "You are all expendable"

Advice to Management

The general policy of hiring young fresh staff from within and then working them to death before they leave is imminently economical. However, failure to train said staff and throwing them in to the work with a "sink or swim" mentality is ultimately self-defeating. Similarly, when senior staff are found who can do the work it must be anticipated that they will not respond to the fear-mongering and scare tactics used... to "motivate" younger and less experienced workers. They will simply take their talent and walk ultimately leaving the company with little continuity, the inability to train junior staff on the job and frequent staffing gaps in senior roles.

Cardno2019-04-12

"Environmental"

I have been working at Cardno

Pros

Work life balance, pay and time off

Cons

Poor management, Micro management and too many managers.

Advice to Management

Give your people the opportunity to fail so that they can succeed

Cardno2019-03-11

"Excellent Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent team with a positive attitude and high level of expertise in their field. Work assignments are challenging and interesting. Team continually strives to create efficiencies within the department that benefit the entire company. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Corporate restructuring has created additional complexities for administrative teams.

Advice to Management

Remember that people are your most valuable asset.

Cardno2018-03-23

"Good Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cardno full-time

Pros

Cardno has been a good place to work. Management cares about the employees on a personal level and want them to succeed. They recognize employees for their successes/achievements but also hold everyone accountable to do their job well. Expectations are high, but so are the rewards. They also truly care about having a good work-life balance.

Cons

The new company structure with divisions makes it more difficult to create efficiencies across the whole company giving rise to more manual processes and different rules depending on the division.

Advice to Management

Simplify the company structure to help leverage efficiencies and reduce redundancies. It will help strengthen your bottom line and position the company to be able to sustainably grow in the future.

Cardno2018-03-22
  6. "Open to new ideas"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top management is very open to suggestions to improve processes and allows lower management to implement changes to create efficiencies. Not a lot of red tape and politics to go through. Great work life balance Fair recognition system Generous annual merits Friendly co-workers and departments

Cons

Divisional structure within EIN's is difficult to manage and support with stand alone policies. Financial system is outdated and difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace change when it leads to better collaboration and creates efficiencies. Move back towards a shared services model as this is a more sustainable platform for growth.

Cardno2018-03-23
  7. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Planner in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Cardno full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working here. The management is progressive and not all about the numbers. They care about professional development and have given me their trust and resources to succeed and advance my career. I am proud of our work product and it's satisfying to work with colleagues that care about our quality of product, while maintaining a good work/life balance. The group of employees I work with have been with the... company for a 10+ years, which says a lot to me.

Cons

So far, I don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Cardno2018-02-27

"Cardno"

Laboratory Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Cardno

Pros

interesting projects good salary opportunity to work internationally pleasant working environment I enjoyed my time at Cardno. The company has a large presence in the oil and gas sector as a civil design and construction management firm. There are benefits and drawbacks to working for a multi-national firm, and I eventually decided that I would prefer working for a mid-size firm based in the USA that was... more focused in my area of expertise. I would still consider returning to Cardno.

Cons

large corporate bureaucracy poor work/life balance huge overhead costs cut into funds available for employee raises poor market sector outlook (oil and gas)

Advice to Management

I would recommend that management seek to diversify the business more out of the oil and gas sector. I would also recommend cutting through red tape and bureaucracy, which sometimes seemed to occupy more of my time than actually doing my job.

Cardno2016-11-04

"Scientist/Engineer"

I have been working at Cardno full-time

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule, great coworkers

Cons

It has been disheartening watching hardworking & extremely efficient coworkers be let go, while others who seem to bring no value to the table be rewarded and still remain. The work/life balance culture seems to be dissipating too.

Advice to Management

Waiting for our annual reviews. Reward those who deserve it and let go of those who bring us down.

Cardno2016-09-27

"Great colleagues, but organization dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Development Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Cardno full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was my first full-time job in international development, and was a great learning experience. It exposed me to so many different parts of the industry- business development, technical work, program management. Since our company was smaller than its competitors, I was given the opportunity to take on very challenging work early on (because they didn't have the more senior manpower they needed).

Cons

The working environment was great when it was Emerging Markets Group (independent of Cardno), but after Cardno bought it, the company became dysfunctional. Cardno (as an engineering firm based in Australia) did not understand the international development market in the US, and did not give our group in Arlington the resources or support we needed to be successful. That's why everyone started leaving. And as everyone... started leaving (without being replaced), the place became more dysfunctional and more cut-throat. The work-life balance was also terrible- you were expected to be online 24/7.

Advice to Management

Give the company the resources it needs to do business development properly. Do not rely on program staff (who are already overextended) to also drive business development.

Cardno2016-01-25