Care.com Nanny Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Care.com Founder & CEO Sheila Lirio Marcelo
Sheila Lirio Marcelo

Pros
Cons
  • There's so much going on that if you refuse to be accountable for maintaining your own work/life balance, you may experience burn-out (in 6 reviews)

• There were no cons during my babysitting experience (in 5 reviews)

1. "Nanny"

Former Freelancer - Nanny in New York, NY
    Former Freelancer - Nanny in New York, NY

I worked at Care.com (More than a year)

Pros

Create your own schedule
    Safe
    Background checks
    Easy payment and taxes through site

Cons

Cant think of any. This website helped me find a job as a nanny quickly!

2. "Horrible Customer Service"

Current Freelancer - Nanny in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Freelancer - Nanny in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Care.com (Less than a year)

Pros

I met a lot of nice people and families through the site. The app was convenient to use when not near a computer.

Cons

Impossible to reach anyone when calling care.com. Emails are canned - auto responses that are not personalized. Background checks are not required for care providers but if someone wants to order a background check on you and ANYTHING (even if only ONE dui comes up from SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO), you are automatically banned from the site. No if ands or buts. Very discriminatory. And really stupid considering the company doesn't even require a background check in the first place. I'd still be a member had I not agreed to let a family order a report on me. And to top it off, care.com won't release my background to the family that ordered it! I sent them a copy myself. And they were perfectly fine with my history because they understand that mistakes happen SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO! My advice is to use urban sitter or another site to find work. There are a ton more out that and they're much better managed.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a business.

3. "Nanny"

Current Freelancer - Nanny in Raleigh, NC
    Current Freelancer - Nanny in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Care.com (More than a year)

Pros

I love that I can pick who I nanny for and that Care does a background check.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

5. "Great Network"

Current Freelancer - Nanny
    Current Freelancer - Nanny

I have been working at Care.com (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great platform, and profiles are easy, clear, and flattering for your exposure and convenience. Their reputation perceives them. Any advertisement you see, is the quality you're getting. I highly reccommend Care.com.

Cons

Background and exposure fees have increased.

Advice to Management

Needs a chat room available for prospects. Setting up interviews, and getting to you know first via email and phone can be a struggle and time consuming. Just another option.

6. "Nanny"

Current Freelancer - Professional Childcare Specialist/Nanny in Exeter, PA
    Current Freelancer - Professional Childcare Specialist/Nanny in Exeter, PA

I have been working at Care.com (More than a year)

Pros

Able to connect with wonderful families. Very flexible for the most part. Able to charge your own rates.

Cons

Hours not always Guarenteed. Families may sometimes cancel at last minute

7. "Terminated my account Thanksgiving morning without cause"

Former Freelancer - Nanny in Montgomery Village, MD
    Former Freelancer - Nanny in Montgomery Village, MD

I worked at Care.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Being self-employed and setting your own hours is a great thing.

Cons

This company terminated my account and refused to give me any explanation and continued to charge my credit card $60 every 6 months until I had to cancel my credit card account.

8. "Nanny"

Former Intern - Nanny in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Nanny in Houston, TX

I worked at Care.com as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to contact family
    They save your information so its easy to apply over and over

Cons

Hackers have access to your information ( I have been contacted by hackers 11 times, I just delete their texts but still)
    Not everyone responds to you
    The place where you put your availability, the set up of it is annoying

Advice to Management

Change the availability calendar to make it easier to set up long periods of time
    Make care.com more secure so hackers cant access me

9. "Worked for great families with reasonable pay!"

Former Freelancer - Nanny in San Francisco, CA
    Former Freelancer - Nanny in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Care.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reliable families
    Hundreds of dofferent schedules and families to choose from that you can fit into your schedule
    Also good to have families that dont mind you working on your own homework while the kids do theirs

Cons

Only con about the actualy care website is that spammers can contact your phone directly and act as if their really a family in need when they are really just trying to get a hold of your bank account. It has happened several times to people who fall for it.
    Tip: spammers will have no care profile and reach you directly through your phone number and email. Real legit families will only contact you through the inbox on the care website and they will have a profile to look at.

10. "Nanny"

Former Freelancer - Nanny in Dallas, TX
    Former Freelancer - Nanny in Dallas, TX

I worked at Care.com (More than a year)

Pros

You can always find great families with Care! Sometimes it takes a little bit of looking, but in the end it is worth it.

Cons

Having to shuffle through many families and find the one that is best for you can be difficult, but their is many filter options to make it easier

Advice to Management

It would be nice if you were given a better idea of where a family is located, Dallas is a big city!

11. "Great place to connect with families if you're looking for a Nanny Position"

Current Freelancer - Nanny in Lehigh Valley, PA
    Current Freelancer - Nanny in Lehigh Valley, PA

I have been working at Care.com (More than 5 years)

Pros

I don't work for Care.com. I want to make that clear. I "used" Care.com as a vehicle to find a family needing a Nanny. That was 4 years ago. I wrote my own Bio to post, I listed my intended Salary. I did not want to be paid hourly. I had a base of 40 hours per week that I was willing to do for my asking Salary. The families that I interviewed with had to accept my conditions for hiring me. I approached this position as an independent contractor rather than someone's employee. We discussed each other's expectations and tweaked things to agree upon. I was fortunate to find the perfect family after my 3rd interview. I found my perfect match. That was 4 years ago. I am more of a family member than an employee. I'm treated very well, my perks would make most jealous. I don't consider my job work, it's more like playtime. The kids were 9 & 11 when I started- they are now 13 & 15. Summertime is spent swimming, hiking, biking, season passes to amusement parks, movies, bowling, mini golfing, etc. I do their laundry, make their meals, trips to Dr & Dentist, getting them to baseball practice. My hours are 10 am - 5pm during the summer & days off from school. During school 2:30-5:00. I have off when the family goes on vacation or are taking a day here & there, along with all the Holidays. I'm paid whether I'm there or not. I'm paid through a payroll system so there are deductions for taxes ( my request). There are great Nanny jobs out there. You have to be patient, and choose throne YOU want. Make your rules.

Cons

Not a Con in the world if you love kids, love watching them grow and develop under your care and guidance. The only "Con" I can think of is if the parents don't back you up or give you the trust in setting rules and guidelines for the kids behavior. Fortunately I have support & backup in that area. Very seldom have to.