Care.com Sitter Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Care.com Founder & CEO Sheila Lirio Marcelo
Sheila Lirio Marcelo

Pros
Cons
  • There's so much going on that if you refuse to be accountable for maintaining your own work/life balance, you may experience burn-out (in 6 reviews)

• There were no cons during my babysitting experience (in 5 reviews)

1. "Part time baby-sitter"

Current Freelancer - Baby Sitter in Lacey, WA
    Current Freelancer - Baby Sitter in Lacey, WA

I have been working at Care.com (Less than a year)

Pros

Very selective of employees, and good organization of the app. Easy to set up an account and find matches to your specific needs.

Cons

Hard to find employment as a highschool student. The people aren't willing to pay wages that fit my needs.

Advice to Management

Management is doing great. I just have personal problems regarding the wages and availability for highschool students to work.

2. "Good Job"

Former Freelancer - Pet Sitter in Chicago, IL
    Former Freelancer - Pet Sitter in Chicago, IL

Pros

Working With Pets
    Working with People

Cons

Not Constant Schedule
    People Move so you lose clients

"Don't bother with Care.com!"

Former Freelancer - Professional Pet Sitter in Sugar Hill, GA
    Former Freelancer - Professional Pet Sitter in Sugar Hill, GA

I worked at Care.com (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can possibly find your own work.

Cons

Taken me over a week to set up profile.
    Profile not approved.
    Two more days on profile, 5 references, background check.
    APPROVED!
    (Nine hours later) Your entire account deleted, no notice, and we don't have to give you a reason!

Advice to Management

Streamline your process for registration.
    Tell applicants what the heck you really want.
    Give them a chance to actually change what you don't approve.
    Stop wasting the time of people who get paid hourly and work independently.

"Horrible Business Policies"

Former Freelancer - Pet Sitter in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Freelancer - Pet Sitter in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Nothing for honest people.

Cons

I recently discovered that my account had been closed/deactivated. Upon investigation I found out that the company had closed my account without my knowledge due to a background check that I agreed to pay for over a year ago. Keep in mind I was able to access my account until November 2014 when I last logged in. I did not see any email notifications that my account was going to be closed in either the my accounts email with the site or my personal email that my account was linked to. Apparently the site claims that I was notified via email in December that my account was going to be closed due to a finding on my background check that was done again over a year prior to this. I never received an email from the company. I recently contacted the site in March of 2015 when I found out that my account was deleted/inactivate…the reason I was given was due to my traffic violation in 2007. Seriously, a traffic violation in 2007?????That is why they closed my account; I have no other traffic violations or anything else on my background report. Never before have I been treated like a criminal in my life. So in-other words don’t do a background check with the company, because they will close your account with any finding including minor traffic violations years and years prior. It doesn’t even matter if you have a clean record since. Trust me if this was an issue, the state would not of allowed me to receive a specific certification/permit, I would not have my license, nor would I have been able to work at the CRO that I currently work for.
        I truly do not understand this decision, and when asked what I could do ….I was told nothing, and that my account was permanently deactivated due to a traffic violation in 2007. I wasn’t even allowed to talk to safety or anyone regarding the issue. The person I talked to said they were a manger, but I highly doubt that, just by the persona that was relayed. The only reason I even signed up for the account and did the background check, is because I had nothing to hide, and I wanted to help out others with their animal care needs as well. Now this privilege has been revoked, and never to return at their site…due to a MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATION in 2007.
    My suggestion to those thinking about joining this site is not to, and especially do not do the background check if you have anything including minor traffic tickets on your account, because it will be a waste of money and the outcome will be of them closing your account.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look to the background checks and modify your policy regarding them.

"COMPLETE SCAM"

Former Freelancer - Part-Time Pet Sitter
    Former Freelancer - Part-Time Pet Sitter

Pros

I never encountered one positive experience during my time.

Cons

DO NOT USE. I created a profile on Care.com as a Part-Time Pet Sitter. EVERY job interest I received was a scam. They were trying to send fake checks to me (which they did) and get me to return a percentage of the money. I wound up going to the police it got so ridiculous. I applied to several job (no idea if they were even legit) and never heard anything back. This is not a legitimate company. They share your private information and essentially make you an easy target for scams. Worst experience ever.

Advice to Management

Protect your employees' information! If I mark my phone number as private on my profile, I should NOT be getting random texts and phone calls from people saying they got my info from Care.com as they proceed to try and scam me.