CareFusion Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CareFusion Chairman and CEO Kieran Gallahue
Kieran Gallahue

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance was not great, young company taking lumps on standing up processes (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management only promote like minded people (in 31 reviews)

"not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

low expectations from management; mostly because managment doesn't understand what is happening most days..

Cons

waste of time if you're looking for career development or growth opportunities. It's a great company if you're a white man.

Advice to Management

take some leadership courses and get your head out of the clouds. Think about why the company was formed - patient safety. Management has absolutely no clinical experience and doesn't think this is a critical piece of understanding the hospital environment. We had a pharmacist overseeing our group who never worked in the US or with Pyxis or Alaris. Completely Clueless!

2. "avoid this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

great place to see how not to run a medical device company

Cons

a horribly-mismanaged company, salaries are extremely below average relative to other medical device companies. Company is very cheap and stingy in every aspect, the IT systems are below par, product development records are still using a paper system as opposed to electronic records which is what most medical device companies opted for during the 1990s. This place is still stuck in the 1970s. Massive layoffs occur every year, company grows earnings by shrinking headcount every year.

Advice to Management

Promote younger talent from within the company to lead, instead of always hiring outside candidates

"CareFusion is a cluster"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Competitive wages and good benefits
    Currently has the funds to support future growth. Not sure how long that will last.

Cons

Poor leadership - all levels
    Communication lacking
    Work/Life balance non-existent
    No plan/no process
    Unrealistic expectations a majority of the time

Advice to Management

Communication needs to improve, the business has to have realistic and obtainable goals if they want to survive. The place just runs amuck.

"CareFusion -Real Mess"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Located in San Diego.
    Good Learning opportunity because multiple projects are going on.

Cons

Middle & Top mgmt is direction less.
    Many project w/o completing existing.
    Good at buying new software but do not implement and utilize them properly.
    Too many Hierarchies (feel like working in public sector)
    Manager never listen give any delegation to sub ordinates.

Advice to Management

Restructure of IT dept.
    You don't one director for one manager.
    Hire some good IT partner, who can guide how to execute projects.
    Remove too many layer.

"No concern for workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

The company has a good benefits package. PTO, 401(k) matching, and stock purchase plan equal or better than most.

Cons

Management has a total disregard for staff. For example, they laid off 5% of the staff 3 months ago, at the same time they kicked off a $2million remodel of the executive offices (which were just remodeled less than 2 years ago). The CEO has 3 months left till retirement, yet is spending $50k to remodel his office alone! They upgraded the security cameras over the front-row reserved executive parking, but have no security cameras in the far away staff parking lot where cars have been stolen and vandalized. They claimed a need to raise prices on vending, cafeteria, etc from break-even to a profit center for the business, and even make employees pay 20% of their work-required (so they can make work sales calls, or be on tech support 24-hour standby) cell phone costs, yet have money to give $20k watches to Sales Executives (and fly them to exotic vacations on the private company jet).
     CareFusion is a party/spending spree for execs at the expense of the rank-and-file employees and stockholders.

Advice to Management

Stop claiming to care for employees, then proving you don't. Either SHOW you care, or stop pretending - your wordsright now are clearly hollow.

"Potential for a great company spoiled by a few elite executives in it for themselves and their buddies."

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

Pros

The pay is in-line with competitors, and the benefits (mostly PTO) is more than most. For example, I was getting 26 days off (PTO covers both vacation and sick time) per year.

Cons

There is a small elite faction (mostly made up of former Alaris employees) that stick together and promote their buddies. Anyone they dislike is, at best, left to rot, and more often, enccouraged to leave. Staff is constantly losing small benefits (cheap soda and cafeteria, work from home days, etc) while execs just remodeled their offices (again), got $10-20k watches and free trips. All this at the same time 5% of the company was laid off.
    Over the past several years there have been several sanctions placed on the company by the SEC and FDA. Yet somehow the execs justify lavishing rewards on themselves as employees get the axe. This is a country club for a few scoundrels taking advantage of their rank-and-file employees and stockholders.

Advice to Management

The best advice I can give would be for stockholders to clean house within management. Bring in people who have a history build both quality businesses (including culture) and products. CareFusion right now has neither.

8. "Unhappy people, chaos and poor leadership"

Former Employee - IT Project Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - IT Project Analyst in San Diego, CA

Pros

Really nice co-workers, very talented people working there. Company has most of the latest and greatest technical tools: software, hardware and basics.

Cons

Poor leadership, confusion, low employee moral and lots of turn over. People were scared of loosing their jobs, management had a 'do as you're told mentality' towards the 'Cube Dwelling Underclass'. The Director in my group posted large posters on the walls, with "stay in your lane" written in huge bold letters... meaning do not cross into anything other than your very limited job description. Questions were never addressed, processes never defined or shared. I sat at a desk for close to 2 months with NOTHING to do at all. I mean nothing. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy working for this company, and I truly hope it improves for everyone working there?

Advice to Management

Let people take an active role in the job they were hired to do. Micro managing is counter productive and if you have to control each and every detail, don't hire people to do the job, do it yourself.

"Dazed and Carefused"

Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

Pros

Once-innovative products still saving lives every day.

Cons

Despite having an incredible pedigree of innovation they gutted their R&D organization to focus on growth through acquisition--despite constant rhetoric about the importance of organic growth.

In my tenure, most R&D projects were victims of endless Sr. Management shuffles, and a failure to separate new product development from existing sales & support. Obviously not a fertile environment for new product development or innovation. Fortunately CareFusion's competitors weren't any better off.

I count myself as fortunate for having left by my own accord--most didn't have this luxury.

I wish them the best under new leadership.

Advice to Management

Fund R&D. Don't hire a-holes.

"Indecision galore. Frustrated employees and listening to others talk behind other people's backs."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

San Diego location is nice.
    Non management employees are laid back and easy to work with.
    Startup company mode leads to possible opportunities for future project growth.

Cons

Personally witnessed an IT project self-destruct with multiple changes in project management, unnecessary delays in requirements gathering and significate overruns. One project has taken over a year for "requirements" gathering and still had no deliverables.
    Little to no documentation for past IT projects requirements.
    Functional I.T / Business Analysts are few and far between. Mostly consultants. Dangerous situation if Carefusion relies on a consultant to heavily.
    Every new individual that is brought in from the outside has an agenda to change the practice around him/her but this happens far too often. No stability.
    Watch your back. People love to talk about others behind their backs and not make any apologies for it.

Advice to Management

Few internal employees supporting Carefusion = Heavily reliant on consultants = No project direction or subject matter experts. No pride.

"The worst experience of my career"

Former Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Some of the people are amazing. I had a collaborative environment with my peers.

Cons

There were so many cons to working here that the environment literally made me sick. I counted five others who went out on stress leave within my area of expertise. Some never came back. I never saw a manager support his or her staff. My manager certainly never supported me even though I worked so hard and accomplished so much while I was there. My accomplishments were never good enough. Management was so concerned about sabotaging each other that their subordinates often took the hit. Forcing individuals to fail through dirty tactics was a common practice that I witnessed. My peers and I were even forbidden from collaborating with each other because we worked for different managers. FORBIDDEN from collaborating! Have you ever heard of such a thing?

The CareFusion culture is supposed to be about collaboration and innovation but the climate is just the opposite. I was constantly beaten down by management. So many of my peers were living in fear and were too afraid to express their professional opinions when it conflicted with management because they knew they would likely get fired. Experts were not respected for their knowledge, only their ability to follow orders. Rather than growing in my position, I shriveled. In contrast, I saw others who were favored by management receive two promotions in a single year. If you follow orders like a good soldier and never speak your mind, you get rewarded with a promotion. If you speak your mind, even when you are speaking from a position of expertise, you will be fired. This is the climate of CareFusion. So much is broken in this company it's going to take a miracle to make it a good place to work, at least in San Diego.

Advice to Management

Kieran needs to clean house and get rid of all the dictatorial management staff who rule their departments through bullying, fear, and intimidation. Fear for ones job due to all this bullying leads to tremendous backstabbing. There were so many times when I heard the expression "He/she threw me under the bus in front of managment." I've worked for various corporations and I've never seen anything like the environment at CareFusion. Look at the departments with heavy turnover and stress leave complaints and you'll find your bullies.