Career College of Northern Nevada Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Nate Clark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun Family Environment"

Current Employee - President in Sparks, NV

Pros

The relationships built with customers and co-workers is the best part of the job. Helping solve prob elms in the community with direct feedback from employers who hire our graduates. And last, but certainly not least, the "Bell Ringers".

Cons

Split shifts that some of the faculty have to endure.

Advice to Management

Spend more time roaming the halls to get to know the employees and students.

2. "Great place if you're in the right department - beware of nepotism"

Former Employee - Admission Counselor in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Admission Counselor in Sparks, NV

I worked at Career College of Northern Nevada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, co workers are usually there with the motive to help the students, admissions is by far the best run and most rewarded of all departments .

Cons

Rampant nepotism is worrisome and random firing makes everyone wonder "who's next?" And they have let go of some really amazing people. Pay is low to average.

Advice to Management

Only hire and expand if you can commit to sustainability, too much going back and for the hiring and firing is unsettling.

3. "Instructor"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Career College of Northern Nevada full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay was decent, good time off and Holidays. Good fellow employees! Loved the students!

Cons

Terrible management. People really not capable of being in the position they are in. The owner, the Dean of Students.

Advice to Management

Dump the Dean!

4. "Instructors are considered the low man on the totem pole."

Current Employee - Instructor in Sparks, NV
    Current Employee - Instructor in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Career College of Northern Nevada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seeing students succeed is the only saving grace of this company. The four day work week helps. The work is easy if you have no desire for professional growth or challenges.

Cons

Instructors spend far too much time with administrative and disciplinary tasks. Isn't that what the administration is for? Seems like they share the same root word.
    Condescending and passive-aggressive emails about trivial things like coffee makers and copiers almost daily.
    Pay and benefits aren't competitive for those possessing an undergraduate degree with substantial experience.
    Sharing a 4 foot, half-cubicle with other people while people with ridiculous, made-up titles have entire offices.
    You lose a day of pay if there's a snow day, yet no compensation or means of "calling it even" when you work more than 40 hours a week.
    Can only take vacation on 5 non-consecutive designated weeks per year.
    I operate at about 10% of my capacity because hard work does not pay off.
    Too many more to list without depressing myself.

Advice to Management

This review is long-winded because I believe in the company's mission. If you're wondering why enrollment continues to drop, consider the idea the adage, "You get what you pay for." Happy instructors are better instructors; you can expect more if you pay more -- fewer instructors, but of better quality would save you money! Raise the bar for new candidates; there is talent to be had in the area if you're willing to compensate appropriately. Consider other benefits that attract a talented workforce: decent benefits, break room, flex time, wellness, team activities. You offer none of these things.

5. "Great Family to work for!"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at Career College of Northern Nevada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent staff, owners are honest and good people to work for.

Cons

Not a part time position.

6. "Decent place to work, depending on environment"

Former Employee - Instructor in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Instructor in Reno, NV

I worked at Career College of Northern Nevada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are fairly flexible and the work is fairly easy. It's also fulfilling if teaching is your thing.

Cons

Environment is fairly political. Curriculum is canned and there's not much room for creative curriculum design. You can get shafted pretty badly on scheduling sometimes. Pay is mediocre at best. Turnover is insane, and it can be somewhat stressful. Not much room for career growth, besides going into administration.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better. At least in the specialized programs, most of the instructors can do better in field. There's not really a compelling reason to stay unless you really enjoy teaching.

7. "Going Strong"

I have been working at Career College of Northern Nevada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone that works here is very dedicated to helping the students get the most of the education provided. I don't think you would find a single employee not motivated to helping the students.

Cons

All of the negative publicity surrounding the industry can taxing. Not really something that can be controlled by CCNN.

Advice to Management

Try to create stronger unity among the employees and departments.

8. "Good place to work while in school and looking for a career in my field."

I have been working at Career College of Northern Nevada part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, that works around interviews.
    Fantastic environment. The coworkers really make it great.

Cons

Wish they would include some benefits for part-time employees.

Advice to Management

Give, at the very least, medical benefits to part-time employees.

9. "An overall warm and welcoming place for students AND employees."

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Sparks, NV
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Career College of Northern Nevada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff are some of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
    The level of team work and interdepartmental communication is on a whole other level I've never experienced before.
    There's a fluid transition between departments that's so seamless there isn't room left for confusion.
    Which benefits the employees work performance as well as the students first time experience and following experiences.

Cons

Little to no space in the break room fridge for your lunch.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I have no advice to give that's negative or positive. I haven't seen or experienced anything that I'd like to change. For the first time I love my workplace, coworkers and JOB.

10. "24 years"

Current Employee - President in Sparks, NV

I have been working at Career College of Northern Nevada full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I mostly feel like it's a family here. I work with people I enjoy being around. Running into our graduates in their new professions is a real motivation when I am out in our community. Working with employers to make the curriculum fit their needs.

Cons

Seeing a student fail hurts. They have real lives that can drag them down sometimes and we have to remember that. I have to say though that I have seen almost every employee here at some point in their tenure do everything within their power to help a student who needed it. Wow...I just made the con a pro.

Advice to Management

Keep your doors open at all times. Sometimes those employee below you are afraid that the guy at the top is unapproachable. Make it easy for them to get their ideas heard. Make it easy for customers to provide feedback. If you can't handle the brutality of their feedback you won't be able to help them or the students who come after them.

Stay connected to the employers in the fields we train for as well as fields we may train for in the future. It's hard work...we get it. Tell the owners how they can help you succeed.