Career Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Todd Nelson

1. "Document coordinator"

Current Employee - Documentation Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Documentation Coordinator in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team and benefits. Can be a fun environment

Cons

Not a lot of cons for this department.

Advice to Management

Great Mgmt. Keep it up and keep learning.

2. "Purchasing"

Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at Career Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fellow employees and team environment. Great Benefits

Cons

Company is closing numerous campuses, severance package lacks for long term employees not in management position

Advice to Management

Treat and Pay employees better

"Overall a fairly good experience."

Former Employee - Culinary Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Culinary Instructor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were very team oriented. Very professional and willing to help each other out with what ever was needed.We all looked out for each other and had each others backs.

Cons

CEC needed to more organized and in touch with what was going on. I was a chef/culinary instructor at Le Cordon Bleu. I think they were more interested in the money they could make than Doing the right things for their employees and their students.

Advice to Management

CEC needs to take an honest look at problems rather than playing the blame game. I also think they could all benefit from a course in ethics.

5. "Missing the job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Working for corporate had its perks. The Martingale office is pretty nice - newer, clean, modern, and conveniently located. Its a cultural mix inside. We had good insurance, tuition reimbursement and grants. The company gave its employees the opportunity to pursue their education and provided in house optional training sessions for their employees.

Cons

Slow career and pay growth at a highly regulated environment. Insurance benefits are good but it can be expensive and gets more expensive year after year. There were consecutive years we did not get any raises.

Advice to Management

Lower the metrics in certain departments, some are too high and no longer realistic. Try to reduce employee turnover rates in certain departments because it is costly and difficult to keep hiring and retraining front liners.

6. "Overall good company"

Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty laid back environment everyone is easy going good company culture upper management does a good job of making sure employees feel valued lots of company events I really enjoyed my time at cec

Cons

My manager goes against company policy and just does what he wants to in regard to the already absurd point system if it wasn't for him i wouldn't mind staying at cec

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly and dont let managers just pick and choose when and how they want to give points

7. "Great benefits, but corporate environment"

Former Employee - Career Services Advisor in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Career Services Advisor in Skokie, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance, decent salary, enjoyed helping students in Career Services

Cons

Very numbers focused, schools also closed down in large after hiring new staff, so it seems there was a lack of planning with higher management, which unfortunately impacted a lot of employees.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of employee and student needs

8. "Employees Under-Valued"

Current Employee - Online Content Editor in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Online Content Editor in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work itself is interesting. Hours are flexible, the corporate building is nice, and the culture can be relaxed at times. We are allowed to wear jeans, and there are ping-pong and foosball tables in the building for employee use. Telecommunication is available for some positions. The company strives to find new, more efficient systems and processes to improve its product, and I like being able to see how my work directly affects the students.

Cons

I no longer feel valued by management. Despite my two degrees, I do not make enough to support myself on just this one job, and even though I have received consistently high ratings during my performance reviews, I have received only two 2% raises in my 4 years here, which is better than nothing, but not enough. Management claims to have done research to make sure wages are consistent with industry standards, but according to my own research, I'm making 24% less than the industry standard. They recently changed my position from exempt to non-exempt, which included taking away the telecommuting option for no reason. I do not feel my ideas are being heard or valued. There is no communication among senior management and front-line employees. I can only speak with the two managers directly above me, neither of which seem to have any power to change anything.

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage to all of your employees, not just the senior managers. Change the hourly pay system so that employees are allowed to fill out a time sheet rather than physically clocking in and out. When you send out an employee satisfaction survey, have a place for employees to leave comments rather than just asking multiple-choice questions.

9. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Great people to work with, competitive salary, and comprehensive benefits

Cons

Leadership is not in touch with the workers

10. "Cool if you aren't looking for a career"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Career Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and friendly environment. Not a hard job and management was always easy to deal with. Very understanding of personal issues.

Cons

low pay, unstable job, campuses mismanaged and shut down. No upward movement opportunities. Last 6 months of location being open we had no manager and other employees took advantage and didn't show up. Beware, this company is disappearing. Don't expect long term employment here

11. "Ok..."

I have been working at Career Education full-time

Pros

nice pay and great location.

Cons

All about favoritism to move up and even be looked at, no moral and toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and see what people really do.. Instead of picking you favorites!