Career Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 14, 2017

1. "Admissons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Career Education (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is really good.

Cons

Work Hours are not flexible

2. "Financial Aid"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Aid Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Aid Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are some of the best I have ever worked with. Benefits are great and pay is in line with the industry. Great job to start off in FA.

Cons

Company seems to be struggling in recent years, promotions have dried up a little. Have had multiple CEO's and a few rounds of layoffs.

Advice to Management

If you can get this company back on track, keep investing in your employees.

3. "Financial Aid Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in South Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in South Elgin, IL

I worked at Career Education (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment. Good benefits. Schedule is accommodating. Great training is provided. Fun work environment. Team oriented.

Cons

Schools are closing so there are less job opportunities within the company. Not much ability for job growth.

5. "HR Director"

Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous opportunity to work at a high level and learn the business

Cons

Growth opportunities were based on cronism

Advice to Management

Please develop people who challenge you....consensus will not allow you to grow and recover from past mistakes

6. "Sales Training Manager"

Former Employee - Market Development Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Market Development Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

I loved this company. The management system was fantastic. I was the number one employee at CEC for 6 straight years.

Cons

i said before, the employees need to have a better relationship with the employees.

Advice to Management

7. "Fantastic professional experience"

Former Employee - Career Services Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Career Services Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High level of professionalism, team approach, hospitality shown to students and co- workers, experience is respected among private college sector

Cons

No downside, just need to have ability to work in fast pace environment with high accountability

8. "Student Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Career Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love being able to make a difference in the lives of my students. Love the team of people that I work with.

Cons

Don't like working weekends or having to have numbers that I have to hit every month. Wish I had different hours and want to see my department grow,

9. "Rewarding experience."

Current Employee - Prior Learning Assessment Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Prior Learning Assessment Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Company offers great benefits, and staff is friendly.

Cons

Raises, and opportunity for career growth.

Advice to Management

Listen, and choose effective change versus quick change.

"It WAS a great place to work... emphasis on WAS."

Former Employee - Director in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Career Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my individual situation I had amazing autonomy to do what I wanted to do as long as it did not involve hiring more staff. I set my own schedule and selected which clients to meet with, where and when. Most of the senior executives (VP and above) in my division were solid performers. During my tenure the company seemed to always want to do right by its customers/students.

Cons

Being in the "for profit" education sector the company was often in the news getting beaten up by the government and others for questionable practices even though I personally never saw anything that was less than perfectly honorable. In my personal experience the company was always honest.

My biggest complaint is that the company would often institute major, strategic policy changes, especially those effecting our customer/students and then, after just a few weeks, would revert back to the old policy without ever giving the new policy a chance to have any effect or to see, if in fact, it was a good or bad move. The company also outsourced or changed some critical service offerings that were central to a positive student experience. That was a huge mistake made just to save a few dollars.

Advice to Management

It's water under the bridge and way too late now but my suggestion to senior leadership would have been to deliberately and clearly establish and differentiate the brand along the lines of DeVry and Phoenix. Back in the day when the whole industry was growing, a solid investment in establishing the brand could possibly have saved some of the pain being felt by the company now. I don't know what plan senior leadership has in mind, but as of January 2015, it would literally take a miracle to reverse the downward spiral in continuing operations now.

11. "A great place to work at with Information Technology department showing positive outlook for the future!"

Current Contractor - Software Developer in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Contractor - Software Developer in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Career Education as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The IT culture has gone through transformation with the management that is highly tuned in empowering the team to embrace best software practices with Agile development, encouraging collaboration and delivering high quality software solutions/products for great student educational experience. CEC also has good compensation, benefits, good work-life balance, opportunities for career growth and it has become fun environment.

Cons

Being such a large corporation, there are some existing processes in place that can make it challenging sometimes to accomplish some tasks. There is also a large number of contractors in the workplace and there is plethora of complex software systems and services driving everything, which can make it overwhelming or hard to track down things.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring about the positive changes in the workplace and help regain the business's faith in the IT to provide quality deliverables.