Career Quest Reviews | Glassdoor

Melissa Soderberg

1. "Love My Job"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think this is an great place to work! To be able to help change someone's life is ultimate satisfaction to me. The eagerness of the students to overcome life challenges and obstacles is motivation to keep pushing them forward. The group I work with are some of the best people I've ever met. They work hard and are all about the overall success of the student. They care about one another and encouraging to not only the student but to one another too. I'm blessed to be apart of an amazing team with an amazing leader. The Director of Admissions leads by example and doesn't mind rolling up her sleeves and getting the job done. So thankful to be chosen to be part of the group!

Cons

Learning how to balance work and life

Advice to Management

So far so good!

"Opportunities"

Current Employee - Faculty Member in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Faculty Member in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Jackson Campus has improved many of lives throughout their existance. This campus has been growing and helping to make goals and ambitions possible for the ones who seek.

Cons

The difficulties settle in when we have to prove our worth to the ones who have been persuaded to think negatively about our company.

Advice to Management

More community events to share our encouragement and support with society in Jackson.

Mar 6, 2017 – Campus President

Thanks for being a positive member of the Career Quest Community! We appreciate your advice and agree that community events are a great idea.

3. "Jackson Campus Rocks!"

Current Employee - Faculty in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Faculty in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seeing a student who has finally grasped a confusing technical concept makes it worthwhile.

Getting positive feedback from both supervisors and students makes you feel great!

Opportunities are available to work with other staff members on different projects. All you have to do is seek these out.

There are definitely growth opportunities available, which make for

Cons

As a faculty member, it is easy to fall into the trap of wanting to see a student succeed more than they want it for themselves.

It would be nice to have "outside expertise" to come in to speak on different topics and trends in education.

Advice to Management

Bring in people from outside the company to address staff at least once a year. This will help keep the faculty from stagnating.

Consider sending your faculty to industry conferences so that they can expand their knowledge and professional networks.

5. "Changing Lives"

Current Employee - IT Pro in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - IT Pro in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff works hard to help students succeed.
    Great Compensation and benefits
    Opportunities for Advancement
    Close ties to community
    Rewarding Work

Cons

We work hard.
    Sometimes we are asked to go outside of our job description to help out other departments.
    Travel is sometimes involved, but is also repaid by Career Quest.

Advice to Management

Stay Focused.
    Hire Smart Individuals, with positive attitudes
    Address negative feedback with an open mind
    Reward employees who go above and beyond

Feb 28, 2017 – Campus President

Thank you for your review and your dedication to Career Quest! We’ll do our best to continue to reward our employees with great benefits and acknowledgments – we know that without your hard work our ... More

"TOXIC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI

I worked at Career Quest (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned what not to do. meet nice people to work with just to watch them get fired by head manager. free coffee

Cons

Toxic and mismanaged. . CQ lead manager wants people to snitch because she dont know whats going on. HR doesnt know company policy and is safe cause she is friends with the head manager. hard up for students to stay, they beg students that drop to come back. Teachers are grads of cq.

Advice to Management

Step down and look at your greed. Mangers should read go by thier logo it starts with you. Stop lying and stealing from poor.

Sep 23, 2016 – Campus President

Hello, we’re sorry to hear about your experience at Career Quest Learning Centers. Could you please provide us with some more detail so that we can determine how we can address your situation? If ... More

"STUDENT - I wasn't employee"

Former Employee - Medical Instructor in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Medical Instructor in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Please read my "con" and help if possible!!!! I do not have a positive thing to say, they are wolves wearing sheep skin...

Cons

When I came in to career quest it was because I had never planned on going to college. I planned to go into the marines, but they found another cancerous lymphoid in my neck. So I moved down to Lansing to kind of start over and decided to go back to school. I don't know where they got my number but CQ called me. So I went in for a meeting and I met my "advisor" and she was really really nice. Every one was super nice, like TOO nice. But I didn't really see it at first. So I went ahead to try it out. I signed up for the MA program which they had initially told me was a DEGREE. I was like okay cool. I went to financial aid and got everything signed and I saw it said $18,000 plus some other smaller numbers that roughly added everything up to 20k. I was like WOW. But I didn't have any financial aid so I figured damn college is expensive. And signed. Worse decision I've ever made. A few weeks into school I asked my allied health instructor what kind of jobs I was able to do with this degree, and she says "oh this isn't a degree, this is a certificate". $20,000 for a certificate!? So I dropped out. No way. Not doing it. Now they are trying to tell me I need to pay $8,000. Prior employees, please help!!

Advice to Management

STAY FAR AWAY

Sep 1, 2016 – Campus President

"Not an employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Pros

I toured here today..they staff were all nice the school is clean...im not sure why all the negative reviews but i think you get out what you put in

Cons

So far none like i said they were nice to me

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Business Office in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Business Office in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Career Quest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Career Quest for about 3 1/2 years now... I can say it is an amazing place to work! Since I have been here I have not only grown in my career but as a person as well. The company gives the employee great opportunities for growth within the company. When I come into work I am surrounded by people who love doing what they do to help with the success of our students. Our staffs main goal is to help those students who just need that extra push to keep going or those students that many have given up on... When our students graduate and work in their employed field, that's when we can sit back and say job well done!

I have never loved my career until I started at Career Quest and I absolutely love working in education!!

Cons

There have been employees that have come and gone over the years that I have been here because it was not the right fit for them. There are turn overs in every company because sometimes it is just not a good fit and you never know until you try.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

Feb 17, 2016 – Campus President

Thank you for your kind words! We’re happy to have you part of our team at Career Quest!

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Admissions, Student Success, Etc in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Admissions, Student Success, Etc in Lansing, MI

I worked at Career Quest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work for various departments and have had a lot of support from upper management in terms of growth and professionalism. I am proud of to have been a part of assisting students in making a big change in their lives. I have seen all aspects of the student life cycle and am very proud to refer anyone to not only attend school here or be employed at Career Quest. The campus president goes above and beyond to help everyone and is someone that I will always look up to. I have learned a lot about myself and grown so much both personally and professionally in the past 3 1/2 years and I give a huge thanks to Melissa.

Cons

There are some employees that can be unprofessional, disrespectful, and negative but that happens anywhere that you work. It is a matter of being able to keep yourself focused on yours and the companies goals. The pros outweigh the cons significantly.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on providing constructive criticism and helping coach employees to be the best versions of themselves. Positive reinforcement is always an excellent motivator. Also 401K matching.

Feb 12, 2016 – Campus President

Thank you for all that you’ve done for our students and our school! We wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Director of Admissions in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Director of Admissions in Lansing, MI

Pros

I have been working for Career Quest for over a year. Do I work hard? Yes! Can it be stressful? Yes, especially when you are passionate about what you do. Expectations are clearly defined by management. Most importantly, we are a company of integrity. We do the right thing by our students. We are a group of people that work to together to get results for our students. Employees that struggle in this industry often do not embrace the company vision and/or are unwilling to change. They tend to talk about the problems, but never offer the solutions. What I love the most about my job at Career Quest is that I have helped so many students change their life! It takes a special type of person to work with the adult learner. I am excited about where Career Quest is trying to go in regards to growth.

Cons

Sometimes finding balance with work/life.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep up informed with changes that occur.

Feb 12, 2016 – Campus President

Thank you for your dedication to our students! We’re excited about the future as we continue to help students and graduates achieve their career goals and we’re proud to have you be a part of it.