CareerBuilder Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

3.6
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 93 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is accessible, team is inclusive, work-life balance is more than fair and communication is easy (in 14 reviews)

• CareerBuilder has a reputation of very high turnover of sales reps (in 25 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer II"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Norcross, GA

I worked at CareerBuilder (More than a year)

Pros

This is one of the best places I have worked at. The place is a mix of corporate setting with a startup culture, very organized when it comes to work and outlook but also gives its engineers the ability to work independantly (no micro-management). I have known multiple people that had left and came back running, I would have considered doing the same as well if I did not need to get back closer to my family which is much farther away than where Careerbuilder operates.

Cons

Sincerely, the only con I see is maybe the pay compared to the country's average but for where it is located the pay is somewhat average. I left with an offer that gave me about a full 100k over my base there...

Advice to Management

Keep it up guys!

2. "Great Place to work but changing for the worse"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, culture and work life balance.

Cons

Culture is changing for the worse, low salaries.

"Get out while you can...Enter if you dare."

Current Employee - Customer Care in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers and food trucks in the summer (Don't let the flashy painted walls fool you) Culture is not just core values. Look at the people this company promotes THAT will tell you something about the true "company values"

Cons

A company that plays favorites, has terrible middle management and doesn't pay nearly enough. They will sell you on the "mobility" that you have within the company but it is sadly not true. I've wasted years of my career on this place.

Advice to Management

For success in the market you are trying to enter, you need to put more competent managers (director and VP level are terrible too.) They lack direction and focus.

4. "Great place to work at and would highly recommend to anyone looking to get into sales."

Current Intern - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great sales culture and place to learn from some of the best sales leaders out there. Company is moving in the right direction.

Cons

Get rid of the negative people in the building that are pulling down the people that have the potential to be great.

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum and get rid of the bad apples.

5. "Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back team environment
    Excellent pay and benefits
    Innovative and advanced
    Tons of smart people
    Flexible work life balance

Cons

Can't think of any right noe

Advice to Management

No attitude needed. Please remember we're a team that needs leadership not children who should be talked down to

6. "Awesome culture, great leadership."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Senior leadership is candid, honest and capable; they have strong support from across the organization.

Cons

Shifting markets and rapidly changing product portfolio has made it hard to keep everything aligned between products, customers and sales teams. The ongoing stress of finding a new corporate owner is starting to wear people down.

Advice to Management

Seal the deal with new owners and let's get focused on the next 10 years!

"Great place to learn. Not great to grow a career"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company prides itself in being family friendly. This includes great benefits, flexible hours, extensive PTO, etc. This has the added benefit of the job not being another 9 to 5 that you resent going to everyday. There are always new things happening and new challenges to solve. Employees are for the most part treated well and their voices heard. There is a concerted effort to keep everyone happy and satisfied with their job.

Cons

Sometime in 2016 the overall quality of engineers severely went down. There was a mass exodus of engineers and with the advent of the acquisition looming a hiring freeze was enacted that severely crippled all the engineering efforts. The timing could not have been worse as the transition from an advertisement company to a software company was reaching its most critical stages. I wish I could say that I worked on failed products but the reality is I worked on products that weren't even used. The company has had an incredibly difficult time figuring out what it is and how to succeed in the complex software market. I have worked on successful initiatives but the time spent on initiative that never gained traction has far out numbered the former. It also doesn't help that the product team is severely detached from the more complex and harder to understand products. Either there was too big of a reliance on key players to move the product forward or there has been a massive communication gap between tech and product for years. Either way the two departments are horribly at odds with each other instead of being in sync and helping solve user problems. The company is also plagued heavily by senseless politics; things like retaining quality engineers and dismissing poorly performing engineers are riddled with the politics of head count and how it gets distributed across the department. There are specialists that drive quality work but the majority of the initiatives are performed by generalists and that's the overall shift of the company is towards generalist engineers.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to clear a spot for a more talented engineer. The company is falling apart due to its strange adherence to family values and not letting people go. Sometimes one new engineer can make a big difference to the software product and provide fresh ideas.

"Once a great place is now a sinking ship destined to be broken apart by Private Equity"

Current Employee - SaaS Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - SaaS Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Aurico is a great product that meets and exceeds client expectations
    - Smart, fun people that signed on to be part of the vision laid out by management
    - Matt Ferguson is a sharp CEO that inspires employees and genuinely wants to help connect candidates with careers
    - the recruitment platform being built sounds great in principal

Cons

This place used to be great to work at with fun people and lots of entertaining/travel. Our solutions actually worked but that has all changed over the last year:
    - Job postings are a joke
    - Comp structure has decreased YOY for 3 straight years
    - implemented a travel ban since Q1 so you cannot develop new opportunities unless there is already a high dollar opportunity uncovered
    - SaaS products show promise but none of them integrate with the others how they're supposed to
    - We go to market with solutions before they're ready and blame is cast down on the sales team when clients are unhappy or don't want to extend the partnership
    - people are quitting in droves (7 people in Chicago quit in one day alone recently)
    - compensation is terrible when compared to other SaaS companies
    - sales cycle should be long given comprehensive SaaS deals yet leaders micro-manage and push short term transactional deals out of panic due to impending sale to PE
    - first private equity buyer passed after vetting out the investment
    - new PE buyer reduced anticipated sales price by almost 50%
    - rumblings around the sales force are layoffs, intense micro-management, continued reduction in bonus potential and possibly having assets sold off piece by piece by new private equity owner

Advice to Management

If you want to truly become a SaaS company then structure your comp and sales cycle that way. Our already fragile brand reputation is getting torn to shreds via poor performing products and inability to find a buyer that sees us as a worthwhile investment. Treat your employees better. Improve your solutions.

9. "CareerBuilder"

Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, perks, and benefits

Cons

Compensation is not the best

Advice to Management

Needs improvement, on departmental communication!

"Will push u to give two weeks notice then refund the offer."

Former Employee - Rapid Response IT in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Rapid Response IT in Norcross, GA

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. See title. But. 20 word minimum so be aware that this company falls through on their word. Keep your job and don't give notice until you have to be onsite and just take vacation.

Cons

They will offer u a position. Pressure u to be available and then take away the offer and leave u to deal with the fallout.
    Be aware, do not give notice unless you are given your start date. Even then I would give notice and just try to get vacation before ruining your professional relationships.

Advice to Management

Worst experience. I will warn everyone I speak with.