CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Did I mention great work/life balance (in 73 reviews)

• Fantastic Culture, Great Benefits, Career Advancement (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 13 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

1. "Major Account Executive"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Comp Plan, Good Benefits

Cons

Constant Change (this also could be a pro)

2. "Decent pay, good benefits, great work life balance... Too much politicking..."

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay for non-sales people, flexible hours and work from home, great culture and really good people to work with overall.

Cons

Learning & Development department is great, but they are spread too thin to focus on every faction of the business. Felt stagnant in my role even when seeking out learning & growth opportunities. Way too much politics. One person is getting promoted while getting away with murder, while the next person slips up and is being watched like a hawk. Definitely have to play the game.

Advice to Management

Lose the double standards, politics, inconsistent messaging every quarter and get back to what made CB great years ago... if you can.

"Sales Review"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. I came here for upward mobility and to learn. That's what I got. I've met some of my best friends who are co-workers here. Tons of team, division, and company outings. If you work hard and network well, you will succeed here.

Cons

Your book or territory will most likely be all over the place. A bad manager and/or book will make it difficult to win here. Lots of competition has entered the marketplace over the past several years.

Advice to Management

Casual dress in the office. Work from home flexibility.

5. "You don't realize how good you really have it until you leave."

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, decent pay, unreallll benefits (no exaggeration and a company that has really evolved to stay ahead despite the challenges of evolving.

Cons

Sometimes reps promoted to managers that shouldn't be. They can have a bad approach to managing but also a lot of solid leaders that end up becoming long time friends and care about your success. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Advice to Management

Hire me back please

"Non-Sales Back Office"

Current Employee - Non-sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Non-sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very pro-family, leadership understands the value of work/life balance. Very good benefits (after two years, you get 20 PTO days/year, after five years, you get 25 PTO days/year). For the most part, this is a good company trying to a good thing (match folks with jobs).

Cons

There does not appear to be much accountability for failure in middle and upper management.

Advice to Management

An outside perspective, particularly in sales leadership, may be beneficial

"MAE"

Current Employee - Mae in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Mae in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart Company, plethora of training materials, workshops to help you grow your business.

Cons

You are responsible to grow your book's revenue by at least $30,000 of net new business per month. This is a software company still running their sales compensation structure as a transnational business. You are also managed by daily and monthly metrics of a beginner sales person. These all conflict with each other when you're supposed to be selling on a consultative approach. 60 calls a day, 30 meetings a month, 10 pitches a month.

"Started out good"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Made a lot of good friends, won trip a couple of times, made pretty good money (in the beginning).

Cons

Everyone has gone down hill since I left CB. I have a lot of friends still there, and apparently it's just gotten worse. I actually left to go to a competitor, and I can't tell you how many time my clients asked me "so when is CareerBuilder going to go out of business?"

Once you leave a company like CB, you realize how bad of a reputation they actually have in the industry. It's not hard to see why - they woke up one day and decided to be a SaaS company, and have leaders who have never even sold SaaS. Their salespeople are trained to be incredibly shady, to discount stuff/give it away for next to nothing because reps are getting some type of spiff bonus at the time, etc. This is why they lose so much business, and why salespeople are like a revolving door.

There's also a lot of really bad managers here who have no business managing reps. 6/7 reps on my team before I left deserved to be managers more than the moron leading us at the time. She was a successful rep when all she did was sell job postings and resume database, but in my experience, was completely worthless when it came to selling software. She played favorites (favored all the boys obviously), showed up to team events stoned out of her mind, and just generally behaved in an incredibly unprofessional manner. I highly doubt the majority of the managers will have jobs after this place gets bought out. Whoever buys them needs to get smart quickly and clean house.

Advice to Management

You hold your reps accountable, so why not your sales managers, RSM's and directors? Hire leaders who actually have character, and maybe you'll stop having so many VP's and higher ups get fired for "sexual misconduct," "harassment," "sleeping with direct reports," or, my personal favorite, "getting so drunk at an industry event that they pulled their pants down and have to be asked to leave by the bartender."

Start acting like a real company and less like a frat house.

"Ok experience, but could be soo much better!"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, benefits, culture can be fun at times.

Cons

Advice to Management

Mid-level management: Be accountable for developing your team. Get off your high horse and really help your struggling sales reps. Senior Management: Stop promoting these "would be managers" because they're great drinking buddies. VP of sales and above: to evolve into a true software organization, having the right people in the right place is key. Poor management in the levels below you is severely hurting the company evolution and execution. Also stop hiring external candidates like myself who were brought in to help change your old ways of thinking. Your sales methods are antiquated. Your strategic teams are poorly equipped based off the same methods you use from your telesales teams. Major and National teams are basically highly compensated telesales reps. I was more impressed with the East Coast (Atlanta/Carolinas) management and its a clear reflection why Chicago lacks severely behind them in terms of retention and new revenue generation. I really wish I had a better experience to put here but I'm clearly disappointed with what could've been something great. Very cliquey here in Chicago. The high turnover here is also ridiculous. Not one person is left from my new hire training as well as the hires one month before and after me. These are classes of 15-20 new hires per month! I'll end this by saying there's soo much potential here and it can be fun. I'm a top performer who has left on their own terms, but I was also an external candidate brought in as a Major Account Executive. If you get to start from the beginning at the lower levels here, it's better off. External candidates brought in at higher roles are at a disadvantage because most people here started at the lower levels including mangers. There's an instant sense of apprehension towards us because internal candidates were passed over for us and kind of unwilling to help at first. Okay I've said a lot here but on a positive note, there are some very talented managers there as well who've been promoted multiple times already. Seek them out for mentoring. Most will be down in the Atlanta region, but nonetheless they were very welcoming and really helped me along when I needed the help. Thank you for that, I couldn't be more appreciative! To the Chicago managers. It wouldn't hurt to pick up the phone and reach out to them. You could learn a few things as I have.

10. "Overall very goo!"

Current Employee - Software Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opp for a young sales person to learn a lot and learn a lot.

Cons

Lots of changes and you gotta keep up or move on from the company. If consistency is your thing careerbuilder won't be.

11. "Lack of creativity"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was good flexible hours. People were nice and pretty easy going.

Cons

Didn't really give you strategy about what you were doing. They didn't have great prospecting tools either.

Advice to Management

Help the employees get more training on prospect